HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Baby Nilsson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
Apparently it's Jim Jerome? No idea who he is but he is awful. According to wiki he was fired in February from an Ottawa station.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Guys_on_the_Radio
Jungle Jim, from Power 92?? (I think)

edit: oops never mind that's jungle jay

Old
04-27-2012, 01:39 PM
OilerFan4Life

Couldn't they have gotten Ross McLeod (sp?) on?? He's filled in a few times last year and he's ACTUALLY funny and has sports knowledge.

Also, Will Fraser mispronouncing Mike Taneer's name this morning....awful....he's a guest on your show EVERY week and you can't say his name right?

Old
04-27-2012, 01:46 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

that was painful this morning

why couldn't Will Fraser just do the show by himself?

Old
04-27-2012, 02:24 PM
awesomo
HARD!

i agree that was bad

had to comment, b/c i know those guys read stuff from here. NEVER AGAIN ya hear!

Old
04-27-2012, 05:10 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Couldn't they have gotten Ross McLeod (sp?) on?? He's filled in a few times last year and he's ACTUALLY funny and has sports knowledge.
Ross isn't with 1260 any longer. He was Program Director up until earlier this year.

Old
04-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOil247 View Post
What ever is going on this morning with the morning show this morning.....brutal

How to kill a Radio Show: 101 - Have Will Fraser host and who ever is along side him this morning....completely terrible

I'd take 10 Kyle Chases over that
lol, I know. That was the first time I think... ever... that I actually had to turn the radio off/switch the station. Nah... scratch that, I did turn it completely off cuz it was so terrible. Never in my life has the programming and radio personalities been so bad that I had to turn off or switch the station, today was a first. It was that atrocious, lol.

Old
04-27-2012, 07:18 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Ross isn't with 1260 any longer. He was Program Director up until earlier this year.
Interesting. So he was fired I presume?

Old
04-27-2012, 07:36 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Interesting. So he was fired I presume?
No, he loved the job- as was audible in listening to him host every so often- but he found an opportunity in Calgary that I think was closer to home. He was a great mentor to me and was the one to give me the opportunity to show my stuff on-air.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Fraser just makes **** up sometimes and tries to start topics or issues which really mean nothing or aren't interesting. He is also flat out wrong in many instances. It's not just opinions, I mean the guy is literally incorrect and sounds dumb sometimes. He is better than all the guys who have come before him but he's still kind of annoying cuz he tries to come off as knowledgeable and like what he says is th truth when it ain't.

Was ragging on Drew Doughty this morning. Said he's barely an 8th defenceman on team Canada in 2014 and that he's been terrible in these playoffs, that he's a "shadow of his former self" and is falling off people's radars. Once again, that is not just his opinion, he's wrong. While he's not putting up numbers like most would've hoped for or would've expected after 2010, Doughty has been LA's #1 D-man playing major minutes in all situations and has become an excellent all round defender. I've been watching the Kings closely through these playoffs and he's been one of their best players. The offense will come back, he's too skilled for it not to.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:57 AM
trent_vinyl

In this case, I'm not sure I disagree with him all that much. I've also watched every Kings playoff game so far, and I've been less than impressed with Doughty's game. Offense and powerplay creativity is not there whatsoever and I've seen quite a few mistakes and times where he's been manhandled in his own zone too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Fraser just makes **** up sometimes and tries to start topics or issues which really mean nothing or aren't interesting. He is also flat out wrong in many instances. It's not just opinions, I mean the guy is literally incorrect and sounds dumb sometimes. He is better than all the guys who have come before him but he's still kind of annoying cuz he tries to come off as knowledgeable and like what he says is th truth when it ain't.

Was ragging on Drew Doughty this morning. Said he's barely an 8th defenceman on team Canada in 2014 and that he's been terrible in these playoffs, that he's a "shadow of his former self" and is falling off people's radars. Once again, that is not just his opinion, he's wrong. While he's not putting up numbers like most would've hoped for or would've expected after 2010, Doughty has been LA's #1 D-man playing major minutes in all situations and has become an excellent all round defender. I've been watching the Kings closely through these playoffs and he's been one of their best players. The offense will come back, he's too skilled for it not to.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:26 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432 View Post
This was the worst show on the Team 1260 in the history of the station.
This quote about Friday's Fraser/Jerome debacle got me thinking. Having listened to the TEAM every day of its existence (except for 4 weeks of out-of-town summer vacations in 2010 & '11), what was the worst show in the history of the station? Here's some candidates in no particular order:

-Of the many lowlights of Kyle Chase's run on the morning show, the worst came the day that a caller slagged Sidney Crosby followed by Chase losing it with a lot of screaming and swearing.
-Bob MacKenzie on with Bryn & Jake speculating about possible Oilers coaching candidates. Jake's repeated/unceasing contribution? "Scotty Bowman! Scotty Bowman! Scotty Bowman!..."
-Speaking of Scotty Bowman, former evening host Tony Fiorillo (still the TEAM's all-time worst) had him on the phone as a guest once. Even Scotty was taken aback by the embarrassing amount of gushing and sucking up that Fiorillo was doing.
-An Eskimos post-game call-in show where an obviously unprepared Ron Rimer let an even-more-obviously drunk Vance in L.A. ramble on for 15 minutes or so followed by a commercial break followed by Adil rambling on for who-knows-how-long? (I turned off my radio.)
-The trade deadline day when the Oilers made a rare early morning deal (Tommy Salo for Tom Gilbert). Instead of doing any follow-up on the newest Oiler aside from a glance at Hockey Db, Jake & Rimer spent a couple of segments discussing if his last name should be pronounced 'gil-bert' or 'zyil-bear'.
-Shortly after the long-overdue firing of Danny Maciocia by the Eskimos, Gene Principe (subbing for Gregor) strongly admonished Esks fans for their unfair treatment of his fellow Ital-Canadian. Actually Gene's whole run on Gregor's show was pretty awful.
-A string of shows when Corey Graham first replaced Gregor on the 9 to midnight show. Various callers took to swearing on the air after discovering that the TEAM was possibly the only station in North America that invited call-ins but had no tape delay.
-The callerless/topicless mess of a show that ran briefly on weeknights between midnight and 2 am hosted by Graham (I think), another guy and a super-annoying girl.
-Jim Jerome's awkward/forced/unfunny performance on last Friday's morning show deserves mention especially considering how much sports talk radio experience Jerome gained as morning co-host on Ottawa's version of the TEAM. Hopefully the podcast's not available.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:23 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
-A string of shows when Corey Graham first replaced Gregor on the 9 to midnight show. Various callers took to swearing on the air after discovering that the TEAM was possibly the only station in North America that invited call-ins but had no tape delay.
I think it's 4 seconds now.

Quote:
-The callerless/topicless mess of a show that ran briefly on weeknights between midnight and 2 am hosted by Graham (I think), another guy and a super-annoying girl.
That was while the trio were still NAIT students and working at 1260 on the side; they were given the opportunity to have their own little show in order to cut their teeth on air.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:42 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
That was while the trio were still NAIT students and working at 1260 on the side; they were given the opportunity to have their own little show in order to cut their teeth on air.
I remember now (thanks to Wikipedia). It was called What's Going On? Besides Corey Graham, the co-hosts were Jason Jones & Nadine Woudstra.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:35 PM
IBleedOil247

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post

My thoughts exactly....he argues points that should never be argued and comes across the air as the worst attempt at "filler", I have noticed this since his Gregor Night Show days and though it was due to lack of experience then, but nothing has changed. He drags the morning show down alot in my opinion....I seriously enjoyed Chase more than Frasor.

Old
04-30-2012, 03:26 PM
OilerFan4Life

Chase over Fraser?

No way.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:10 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
I guess Gregor wasn't lying

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Rishaug

He also won a "Mr. Tight Buns" contest at Barry T's nightclub in Edmonton in the spring of 2001.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:21 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
This quote about Friday's Fraser/Jerome debacle got me thinking. Having listened to the TEAM every day of its existence (except for 4 weeks of out-of-town summer vacations in 2010 & '11), what was the worst show in the history of the station? Here's some candidates in no particular order:

-Of the many lowlights of Kyle Chase's run on the morning show, the worst came the day that a caller slagged Sidney Crosby followed by Chase losing it with a lot of screaming and swearing.
-Bob MacKenzie on with Bryn & Jake speculating about possible Oilers coaching candidates. Jake's repeated/unceasing contribution? "Scotty Bowman! Scotty Bowman! Scotty Bowman!..."
-Speaking of Scotty Bowman, former evening host Tony Fiorillo (still the TEAM's all-time worst) had him on the phone as a guest once. Even Scotty was taken aback by the embarrassing amount of gushing and sucking up that Fiorillo was doing.
-An Eskimos post-game call-in show where an obviously unprepared Ron Rimer let an even-more-obviously drunk Vance in L.A. ramble on for 15 minutes or so followed by a commercial break followed by Adil rambling on for who-knows-how-long? (I turned off my radio.)
-The trade deadline day when the Oilers made a rare early morning deal (Tommy Salo for Tom Gilbert). Instead of doing any follow-up on the newest Oiler aside from a glance at Hockey Db, Jake & Rimer spent a couple of segments discussing if his last name should be pronounced 'gil-bert' or 'zyil-bear'.
-Shortly after the long-overdue firing of Danny Maciocia by the Eskimos, Gene Principe (subbing for Gregor) strongly admonished Esks fans for their unfair treatment of his fellow Ital-Canadian. Actually Gene's whole run on Gregor's show was pretty awful.
-Jim Jerome's awkward/forced/unfunny performance on last Friday's morning show deserves mention especially considering how much sports talk radio experience Jerome gained as morning co-host on Ottawa's version of the TEAM. Hopefully the podcast's not available.
good list

I started listening in '04 (ironically during the Flames PO run) and I'm not sure how Bryn and Jake lasted so long

Bryn seems like a nice guy, but man is he wishy-washy and knows very little about anything...ZERO opinion, pissed me off

Jake should've stuck to the Bear....brutal co-host and literally knew NOTHING about sports...zero, ziltch, nadda
and he wasn't funny

Old
05-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Kyle McMahon

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Jim Jerome of all people hosting the morning show last week. I guess K97 wouldn't loan out Steve Zimmerman for the day?

Old
05-01-2012, 07:21 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:

You could add every show that Bryn and Jake ever did to the list, only put it ahead of your list.

The all time worst, was when they featured underwater hockey, complete with interviews with players in town to compete in an underwater hockey tourney.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:18 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You could add every show that Bryn and Jake ever did to the list, only put it ahead of your list.

The all time worst, was when they featured underwater hockey, complete with interviews with players in town to compete in an underwater hockey tourney.
I'm sure that Jake would be very hurt by your comments. Bryn's probable reaction? "Whatever."

Old
05-02-2012, 09:09 AM
abootzky

Given all of the complaining/nitpicking that many of us do about the TEAM's programming, it should be mentioned that there is some good radio going on there from time to time. On Gregor's show yesterday (Tuesday) I heard an excellent interview with TSN basketball analyst Jack Armstrong, a very entertaining in-studio visit from Brian Sutherby and an epic and provocative argument with Mark Spector about how Russian hockey players are perceived by NHL teams and fans.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Beerfish

Yup they do have some good guests and some good discussion on both morning and afternoon shows. Great interview with Igor Larionov last week.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:27 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Given all of the complaining/nitpicking that many of us do about the TEAM's programming, it should be mentioned that there is some good radio going on there from time to time. On Gregor's show yesterday (Tuesday) I heard an excellent interview with TSN basketball analyst Jack Armstrong, a very entertaining in-studio visit from Brian Sutherby and an epic and provocative argument with Mark Spector about how Russian hockey players are perceived by NHL teams and fans.
The problem with these boards is you will get a lot of people that hate anything that is non-hockey related. I love when Gregor gets those analysts from other sports. I don't care too much about the NBA, but I still listen to see what is up.

Sutherby was great yesterday. Missed Spector but he's always good for a chuckle.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:38 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The problem with these boards is you will get a lot of people that hate anything that is non-hockey related. I love when Gregor gets those analysts from other sports. I don't care too much about the NBA, but I still listen to see what is up.

Sutherby was great yesterday. Missed Spector but he's always good for a chuckle.
The argument with Spector got pretty heated but not a ridiculously over-the-top Kyle Chase kind of heated. Unfortunately Tuesday's Hour 4 is not up on the podcast which is too bad because it was a very interesting discussion.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Yeah I enjoyed listening to Sutherby talk about the different coaches. I always thought the best coaches I played for were guys who are approachable and just treat you honestly so it's not surprising to hear that that's the way Tippett coaches and is able to get the most out of his players.

Closed Thread