HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Briere's Playoff Success

Old
04-30-2012, 03:50 AM
WhiskeyBoarder
Flyers West HQ

vCash: 500
Briere's Playoff Success

I considered adding this post to the playoff series thread, but I think it can stand on its own merit (just afraid that it may have been discussed before...)

Is there a good, justifiable way to explain Briere's success in the playoffs relative to his regular season performance?

I really doubt that he is sandbagging during the season. But then again, he so reliably turns it on in the post season, that its remarkable. What do you guys think is going on?

WhiskeyBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:56 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Steroids. (I shouldn't need to do that, but there it is there)

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 04:38 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I'm not saying it's aliens, but....

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 04:59 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

He's like a catholic woman:
Wait till itīs safe ;D

Briere donīt perform like he can in the regular season, because he donīt want to! He save his body and his energy for the Play offs! He is also a beast in very important situations, that is part of his character!

He is a born winner.

It is what it is! So what can you do?

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:14 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Guess he loves the pressure. The regular season is just a long ass grind... the playoffs is balls to the wall 4 rounds winner take all.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:40 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Guess he loves the pressure. The regular season is just a long ass grind... the playoffs is balls to the wall 4 rounds winner take all.
Exactly. Some people break under the added pressure and choke, others step up their game and dominate.

Or maybe it's because as a boy he always watched the playoffs and dreamed of being there himself one day and every time he gets there he tries to make the most out of it as he himself explained post-game.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:59 AM
thelos
Bunk

yeah if he played like this all year he would be dead before the playoffs

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:51 AM
Broad Street Elite

Sports (not just hockey) history is littered with players whose post-season success has dwarfed their regular season success. Hockey as a sport, more-so than any other, sees a monstrous jump in intensity from regular season to the playoffs.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Regression to mean. It only took 7 playoff games for his combined playoff + regular season shooting percentage to return to his career percentage of 12%. I bet he'll shoot more, score less, but it will average out since he'll take more chances and no one will really notice.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:06 AM
flyerfanish

I'm not sure how bold this prediction is. But I think he'll score more goals in the playoffs than during the regular season!
16 right?

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Guy's a monster.

Re: his reg season this year: HE had an off year. And the concussion really effected him.

People are quick to forget he had a career season just last year. Not like he's a stiff in the reg. season.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:58 AM
WhiskeyBoarder
Flyers West HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Regression to mean. It only took 7 playoff games for his combined playoff + regular season shooting percentage to return to his career percentage of 12%. I bet he'll shoot more, score less, but it will average out since he'll take more chances and no one will really notice.
This makes sense. The type of insight I was looking for. Thanks!

WhiskeyBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanish View Post
I'm not sure how bold this prediction is. But I think he'll score more goals in the playoffs than during the regular season!
16 right?
I called that one as well.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:22 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
He would be dead by the end of the regular season if he played this way all year. He took a ton of abuse around the net in the Pittsburgh series, and continues to get it now. A player of his size can't do that for all 82, he would never last. His work around the net is impressive for a guy of his build. I'll happily take a sixty point regular season and PPG playoffs, especially from a number two center.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

It's not that hard to clarify really. Briere excells in the post season because of the game he plays.

Tighter checking and more tired bodies in the play-offs allow smaller players like Briere to create more room on the ice. He's also a pressure player. Some players can't handle it, some thrive on it.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:04 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
I'm not saying it's aliens, but....
If we face the Rags in the ECF, we def. need a "Briere thinks its aliens" rookie mistake avatar.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Jebby

Some people just respond really well under pressure. Briers is the playoff performer any team would want. Not like those playoff chokers such as Luongo, Thornton, Ovechkin, and Bouwmeester (ok maybe not the last one)

Jebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Top Cheese Danish

It's extreme mental strength. Sometimes pressure can destroy an athlete, and sometimes they thrive in it and are able to elevate their game without getting nervous/overthinking it. Everyone hates on Ovechkin, etc for being playoff "chokers," but honestly, elevating your game under pressure is a very rare talent that not many people can pull off. It's difficult. It requires the ability to have complete mental control of yourself... Briere just gets it done.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Haute Couturier

I think the fact that coaches pay even more attention to line matching in the playoffs is certainly a help. It's easier to score if you are constantly facing 3rd/4th line competition and starting in the offensive zone.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:31 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

It's completely absurd to have 16 goals over 82 games.

vs

7 goals in 7 games.

This has been bugging me since this morning.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
It's completely absurd to have 16 goals over 82 games.

vs

7 goals in 7 games.

This has been bugging me since this morning.
Luck

Briere's shooting percentage:
Career - 14.7%
Reg season - 9.2%
Playoffs - 38.9%

He was unlucky in the regular season and is getting some luck in the playoffs.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

First off... did none of you get the HFB memo? It has been clearly established that there is no such thing as being clutch.

Briere cannot play an elevated game for the entire season... for the simple fact that it would not be elevated play by definition alone.

Briere for some reason can reach back and elevate his game in important situations (... I know... call me Mr. Obvious haha) and he will most always be out there late in games where a goal is needed... he won't always get one, but I have noticed the opportunities being there and he helps give them the chance to get that goal -- how many times have we cursed the near misses and his blowing the tying goal? -- In the PostSeason, as in the late stages of RegularSeason close games, Danny elevates his game in key situations, IMO, and not throughout the entire game... It is just that there are more key situations and they are remembered more often and he is called on more often... and, again IMO, he ratchets it up an even higher notch... elevate it up another level... Add to that that many of his teammates also elevate their games -- those that can, anyway -- and help him. Add to that that the opposition are focused on the top line, and if they concentrate on Danny, Giroux has an easier road to hoe.

I know it is not an answer but, some players just have it in them to rise to the occasion... and while they do not always succeed, they give it a much better go than most others. Please note how many times players like Briere and Pronger find their teams go far in the PostSeason... Is it a coincidence that Briere and Pronger get to to the Conference finals more often that the average players do on a fairly constant basis?

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:36 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Ad Ovechkin: I really don't know how people can label a guy with 27-28-55 in 45 games a playoff choker.
And I know it's not just about the points, but come on ... He's has the second best PPG average among active players.

nevermore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Some people just respond really well under pressure. Briers is the playoff performer any team would want. Not like those playoff chokers such as Luongo, Thornton, Ovechkin, and Bouwmeester (ok maybe not the last one)
55 points in 45 playoff games

ya, big time choker

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Thornton "choked" his way to 9 pts in 11 games in 06, 11 pts in 11 games in 07, 10 pts in 13 games in 08, 5 pts in 6 games in 09, 12 pts in 15 games in 10, 17 pts in 18 games last year, and 5 pts in 5 games this year.