HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Socks

Old
04-29-2012, 04:17 PM
JaeTM

vCash: 500
Socks

I'm looking to get a pair of socks when playing because my ankles are getting blisters. I've been playing ice and roller all my life and my newest pair of skates, like I said, are giving me blisters on the insides of my ankles. I don't play as much as I used to, but my skates are broken in and they are a size smaller then my shoe size, so I know they fit. So I'm hoping that buying a pair of thinner socks will help me, but I don't know what to get because I've always just used regular socks as I never really got blisters.

I was looking here:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/skatesocks.html

I'm not looking to spend $35-40 on socks lol, more like 10-15. If any of you have any experience with any of these or know of a different site that I can order off of for somewhat cheap, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: Also, I've never done or needed to mold my foot to the boot but I hear that works well. Should I try this and if so, how would I go about it?

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

vCash: 1040
Skates socks aren't worth the extra price IMO, I have always worn regular socks underneath soccer/football socks and never had any problems ever

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:09 PM
hubby1746

dress socks

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I loved my Easton Synergy skate socks until I wore huge holes in them. Baking your skates may help.
Bunga pads turned so the pad is on the blisted area under your skates may be a good idea too. They've helped protect me from pain after bad lace bite.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:44 PM
vapor11

The only socks that go in my skates are my UA hockey socks..don't want to mess up my groove

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
bp spec

Use hockey socks, but thin soccer or every day socks works too.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 06:25 PM
AIREAYE

Ankles getting blisters? Sounds like there is something else going on besides a sock issue. However, definitely go by what others have suggested here. Any type of thinner athletic sock (NOT ankle cut however) or dress sock are options.

Try socks first and if that doesn't solve the issue, take a good look at where and the severity of the issue; it might actually be a fit problem. If your skates are already broken in then a bake will not do much if anything.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:16 PM
MattB43

I have the Bauer Vapor socks, and I really like them over regular athletic socks. I've never tried any of the other ones though, those are the only ones my local shop stocks.

MattB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:48 PM
lilphill23

I like the elite hockey bamboo socks almost like a compression short for your feet

lilphill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:11 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
I've used a pair of $12 hiking socks for the last 3/4 years and never had a blister or similar foot issue. In fact, I've used the same pair for 90% of my games (3 years, 2x week, winter & summer) and they still are in great shape.

http://www.foxsox.com/catalog/produc...ctedstyle=2450

Warm, keeps feet dry, and keeps them more comfortable with a bit more thickness to them than normal socks.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:19 PM
r3cc0s

I'm just not sure that any high tech sock will create any performance benefit, other than to help with possibly moisture control

a number of people who I know are good skaters, still will skate barefeet...

if there are hot spots with the skate, the issue is with the fit of the skate, not the fabric your socks are made of

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:22 PM
lilphill23

I like the elite hockey bamboo socks almost like a compression short for your feet

lilphill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:54 AM
shoeshine boy

I skate in Nike dri-fit soccer socks bought at the sporting goods store for $15 for a 2-pack. they're not too thin, not too thick and keep my feet pretty dry. they're also durable as hell. been skating in them 4 years and haven't had hole develop yet.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:57 AM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel View Post
The only socks that go in my skates are my UA hockey socks..don't want to mess up my groove

These. I have them too. Not that expensive, they last quite a while, are extremely comfortable and thin like dress socks that I used to wear (which wore out FAST)

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:08 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I use the Bauer Vapor socks too. I would recommend them anyone. They are about $18 US, but they stopped me from getting blisters on the instep of my foot. I've had the same 2 pairs for about 2 years now and they don't show any real signs of breakdown.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The Easton socks are very good and should only be $15. You'll get 1-2 seasons out of them depending on how much you play. Get 1-2 pairs and you are set.

I have used thin dress socks in the past but prefer the Eastons.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:59 AM
mhkehoe

I use these Eastons. I have been rotating between two pairs for two years now.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=ESYSSL

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Stickmata

I've used everything from dress socks, to volleyball socks, to both types of Eastons and nothing has come close to the Bauer Vapors. Really comfortable, no gaps and they don't compress when they get wet like a typical everyday athletic sock. I'll never go back to anything else unless they stop making these. To me they're the perfect thickness with just the right amount of cushion.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
izzy3

I use the UA crew socks which are in your pricerange, but I believe you'll have to experiment a little, cause it's all preference. I also don't think that the socks will solve the blister problem, you'll need to heatmold the skates to fit you better.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:18 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I've used everything from dress socks, to volleyball socks, to both types of Eastons and nothing has come close to the Bauer Vapors. Really comfortable, no gaps and they don't compress when they get wet like a typical everyday athletic sock. I'll never go back to anything else unless they stop making these. To me they're the perfect thickness with just the right amount of cushion.
Agreed 100%. Although they can be hell to get on.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:54 PM
callitkarma

I've been wearing very thin socks made to wear with skates and haven't had any issues until now: I just got a new pair of bauer vapor x 6.0's and my feet have been getting super cold/numb on the ice and it's really annoying. I don't know why, I'm pretty sure I'm not tying my skates too tight or anything...anyone have a suggestion?

callitkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post

Funny you mention that. I seem to break a sweat every time I put them on. Very snug and tight fitting.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:27 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Quote:
This. The Vapor socks are extremely comfortable but they are surprisingly difficult to put on.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:30 PM
HockeyPusher

Skated barefoot for years, then bought a new pair of skates last year and got them baked, and started wearing socks. I have a couple pairs of Eastons and a couple pairs of Under-Armour. Like the Eastons a little better, but they are both pretty comfortable, and not very pricey.

HockeyPusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Yup, I found you gotta roll em down, slide the end on and then roll them out. Go on easy that way. Otherwise it's a bear.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote