HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Briere's Playoff Success

Old
04-30-2012, 02:17 PM
hof2120

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Thornton "choked" his way to 9 pts in 11 games in 06, 11 pts in 11 games in 07, 10 pts in 13 games in 08, 5 pts in 6 games in 09, 12 pts in 15 games in 10, 17 pts in 18 games last year, and 5 pts in 5 games this year.
What a scrub

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:17 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

That's why the realistic rumblings are Patrick Marleau going to be moved, not Thorton.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Listening to Danny on WIP right now. He attributes his success to Sean Couturier's mom's french toast.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Listening to Danny on WIP right now. He attributes his success to Sean Couturier's mom's french toast.
So many different ways to go with this.

04-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
So many different ways to go with this.
There's too many. My brain went into innuendo overload.

On a serious note, how many people are going to live with Briere?

Old
04-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Not commenting on any of these stats... I have not made a study of them in any manner... But I do believe a clutch or not a clutch player is not solely based on PPG. In addition to the PPG IMO it is when and in what situations the goals are scored -- converse to the argument about Game Winning Goals being meaningless as a whole -- A goal/assist in a runaway game (either way) carries nowhere near the meaning a late goal in a close game (such as Briere's OT Goals[s]) or goals such as Briere's first goals in both opening series games... goals that turned a beaten team to a contending team... And certainly second assists that have little bearing in goals cannot be compared to a key pass such as Kimmo's one on Giroux's PPG yesterday. It is not so much the PPG status that makes a clutch player a clutch player.

I believe a 'money' player earns the reputation with many important goals and elevating their game in a manner that is clearly noticeable to all watching -- Reggie Jackson got the name Mr. October for stepping up at the right times in the World Series -- Some players are just clutch and we realize it without looking up the stats... conversely, some players disappear in key situations, while the meaningless goals and assists make their stats appear to be decent. Keith Primeau did not have grand PostSeason stats, but gain a rep as being clutch from the people who watched him play... We expect Danny to step up; he cannot do it every game, but he does quite often. BTW: I see that in Giroux, and JvR is beginning to make a good case in his young career to date.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
There's too many. My brain went into innuendo overload.

If Lavy decided to have Danny look after all the young studs on this team, this season, they would have had to place the sign 'Boys Town' on Danny's Haddonfield abode.

... Hmm... I smell a PlayOff Avatar in this.

Old
04-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Gert B Frobe

I'm not sure how he compares to other players in the amount of shots he takes per minutes played - but he seems to just shoot the puck all the time. It helps that he has a great shot of course. Some guys just want to skate around and then pass. Briere isn't like a Voracek or Kovalchuk who can stickhandle and protect the puck using his size and strength. He senses pressure and when in doubt - he shoots. Just like Sunday's game - he had the puck for a split second and he shot it - game over. Seems like he shoots even more in the playoffs.

Does he have much of a curve on his blade? Seems like he doesn't and keeps his shot low. Too many guys (Jeff Carter) always try to pick the corners and just miss. Briere seems to always put it on net. Who said "make the goalie make the save" - words to live by.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:11 PM
hof2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I'm not sure how he compares to other players in the amount of shots he takes per minutes played - but he seems to just shoot the puck all the time. It helps that he has a great shot of course. Some guys just want to skate around and then pass. Briere isn't like a Voracek or Kovalchuk who can stickhandle and protect the puck using his size and strength. He senses pressure and when in doubt - he shoots. Just like Sunday's game - he had the puck for a split second and he shot it - game over. Seems like he shoots even more in the playoffs.

Does he have much of a curve on his blade? Seems like he doesn't and keeps his shot low. Too many guys (Jeff Carter) always try to pick the corners and just miss. Briere seems to always put it on net. Who said "make the goalie make the save" - words to live by.
I don't know what curve he uses, but he can roof it with the best of them.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
I don't know what curve he uses, but he can roof it with the best of them.
Seems to practice that at near the end of his pregame warm ups... takes a bunch of pucks, places hem in the cease and than one by one shoots them into the top of the net... Before that he takes a bunch to the right (of the goalie) face-off circle and blasts them in. He has other self specific drills that he does each warm-up also... The guy is always working on his game; that is a good tip-off on why they make him a mentor for the kids, IMO.

Please excuse my many post on Briere... but he fascinates me at times.

Old
04-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Seems to practice that at near the end of his pregame warm ups... takes a bunch of pucks, places hem in the cease and than one by one shoots them into the top of the net... Before that he takes a bunch to the right (of the goalie) face-off circle and blasts them in. He has other self specific drills that he does each warm-up also... The guy is always working on his game; that is a good tip-off on why they make him a mentor for the kids, IMO.

Please excuse my many post on Briere... but he fascinates me at times.
I was going to say the same thing. He blasts a ton of them short side. That little slap shot he does coming down the right wing that goes short side over the shoulder has always amazed me. That is a really difficult shot, and to see someone hit it with regularity is impressive.

Most impressive thing I've ever seen along the lines of drills was at practice. They were doing drills at one end of the ice, and Forsberg was standing right around the right dot. A puck came over to him, he got, turned and fired a wrist shot the length of the ice. Top shelf, right corner.

It was the effortlessness that was the most impressive thing about it.

Old
04-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I don't remember what series it was in 2010, but before the game started the pre-game guys did a piece on Briere's warmup drills. Briere then scored a goal by roofing a rebound over the goalie, right from the area he practiced.

"Hmm. This practice stuff must be effective..." was my first thought, after "WOOOOAOAGGHGHGHGGG!"

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:10 PM
DrHamburg

Some guys thrive in the moment, some guys turtle in the moment. Especially with Briere, he normally doesn't go against top lines or top defensive lines in the playoffs. During the regular season he might also pace himself. Many possibilities. I clearly think this guy shines in the moment and has a perfect attitude for it.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:28 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
I thought he said flapjacks.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:24 PM
jagrgodr

Danny Briere is about to be on Scott Ferrell show on Howard 101 on Sirius radio if anyone is interested or has satelite radio. If you don't know who Ferrell is, he is the howard stern of sports talk radio and loves hockey (his team is penguins but loves Philadelphia, aka ferrellidelphia). Should be very very good.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
jagrgodr

ahahahaha scottie spent 3 minutes straight yelling at him for destroying his team

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Some people just respond really well under pressure. Briers is the playoff performer any team would want. Not like those playoff chokers such as Luongo, Thornton, Ovechkin, and Bouwmeester (ok maybe not the last one)

Lies:

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=4621

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Quote:
It should be a requirement to play for this team. Ed Snider needs to buy Danny's house and turn it into the rookie dorms...

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
It should be a requirement to play for this team. Ed Snider needs to buy Danny's house and turn it into the rookie dorms...
There used to be one in Old City... No?

Old
04-30-2012, 11:21 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
He ups his intensity in the playoffs no doubt but he definitely also changes the way he plays in the playoffs vs the regular season. He shoots more and shoots to score more in the playoffs. In the reg season coming down a wing he would try to stick handle thru opposition or throw a wrister at the pads and hope for a rebound. He would throw blind passes thru the crease hoping someone is there. In the Playoffs coming down a wing hell unload a slap shot aiming for top cheddar and scores it more often then not. Instead of throwing it thru the middle he'll hold it and try to shoot. I thinkk playoff hockey helps him as well in the transition. Defensemen can take more liberties then normal and its easier to take the puck in the playoffs which with Danny cherry picking a bit leads to more breakaways.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:31 PM
fauxflex

I think Danny realizes that the playoffs provide the biggest opportunities to make a meaningful impact on a team's fortunes...it seems to be part of his makeup to recognize these moments and want to be an impact player, helping to make things happen. I think he is motivated a few key things...one being his stature and the desire to prove he can excel against bigger players, something that has likely driven him all his life...for a smaller player like Briere to play most effectively in the NHL, against players that tower over him, involves some elevated physical risk. It is fairly common for (good) players to take on more physical risk in the playoffs. In some players, that might mean more blocked shots, more hitting...for Briere it means playing harder to get into the dangerous areas, to fight for pucks, to make plays, to score goals. Another thing I really think plays a significant motivating role for Briere is....this:

Danny wants to win a Cup...badly. As each year goes by, he realizes his chances are coming and going and wants to win the big prize before he hangs up his skates. In the playoffs, the Cup comes into focus, much moreso than during the regular season. The tournament is set and the path to the championship becomes more clearly defined, the rewards become more tangible and the Cup, closer within reach. Briere seems to thrive on that type of motivation and his will to win when it counts is strong...remember his do or die speech in the locker room (and his play on the ice) that helped spur the comeback against Buffalo? Gotta love that kind of stuff. Danny lives for it.

Last edited by fauxflex: 05-01-2012 at 12:02 AM.
fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:48 AM
WhiskeyBoarder
Flyers West HQ

If this is the case, and it could be, I just wonder he doesn't apply to the regular season the techniques that work so well in the post season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
He ups his intensity in the playoffs no doubt but he definitely also changes the way he plays in the playoffs vs the regular season. He shoots more and shoots to score more in the playoffs. In the reg season coming down a wing he would try to stick handle thru opposition or throw a wrister at the pads and hope for a rebound. He would throw blind passes thru the crease hoping someone is there. In the Playoffs coming down a wing hell unload a slap shot aiming for top cheddar and scores it more often then not. Instead of throwing it thru the middle he'll hold it and try to shoot. I thinkk playoff hockey helps him as well in the transition. Defensemen can take more liberties then normal and its easier to take the puck in the playoffs which with Danny cherry picking a bit leads to more breakaways.

WhiskeyBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
It's not that hard to clarify really. Briere excells in the post season because of the game he plays.
maybe one year, that game will include being a 2 way player & learning when not to stop pressuring your man & just glide to the bench in OT

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
maybe one year, that game will include being a 2 way player & learning when not to stop pressuring your man & just glide to the bench in OT
If certain players on the team did their job at an adequate level, then his lack of defense would be less of a problem.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:24 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
If certain players on the team did their job at an adequate level, then his lack of defense would be less of a problem.
The problem is we have WAY too many substandard defensive players.

A 19 year old rookie is one of our best defenders...THAT'S BAD.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote