HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v18: Hornets win draft lottery, will pick 1st. Raptors will pick 8th.

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2012, 12:19 PM
hdtrax

vCash: 500
Bobcats need the first pick. 7 wins is just beyond brutal and the NBA wouldn't screw with His Airness.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:26 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Valanciunas has me excited. I hated the pick when we made it, at the time I thought "here we go again, another soft euro." But I couldn't be more wrong, since I started watching his highlights and following him, guy is an absolute beast. Playing against men in one of Europe's strongest leagues as a 19 year old C. He's developed quite well this year. And he could turn out to be the best player out of the 2011 draft. If he was a prospect in the 2012 draft, he would go top 3 IMO, and contend with Anthony Davis for the #1 overall this year. And I'm not just being a homer in thinking this, I saw a thread on realgm about that topic, and the consensus seemed to be that he would go #2 behind Davis in this year's draft.

Throw in another top 8 pick this year, coupled with potential FA signings due to plenty of cap space, and this team will be a playoff team next year. Colangelo gets a lot of hate, but he's building it right this time.
ESPN's Chad Ford said that he absolutely believes that Valanciunas would be the #2 prospect in this draft behind only Davis if he were eligible for this year. Just about every team in the league would kill for a legitimately 7 foot tall physical center with a fairly well-rounded skill set.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
04-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
ESPN's Chad Ford said that he absolutely believes that Valanciunas would be the #2 prospect in this draft behind only Davis if he were eligible for this year. Just about every team in the league would kill for a legitimately 7 foot tall physical center with a fairly well-rounded skill set.
The guy shoots 80% FT too. That leaves the potential for domination at the C position offensively. I'm hoping Lithuania makes the olympics so we get to see him play on the world stage against the very best, and see how he does then.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Hyperglide

The Brooklyn Nets now officially have the worst logo in all of professional sports. I'm surprised Jay-Z knew enough that Brooklyn started with a B. I mean it makes sense though. It DOES look like a Kindergartner designed it.

Old
04-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Swervin81
No Honour for Connor

Oh God, that's even worse than the Marlins' logo

Old
04-30-2012, 02:34 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
The Brooklyn Nets now officially have the worst logo in all of professional sports. I'm surprised Jay-Z knew enough that Brooklyn started with a B. I mean it makes sense though. It DOES look like a Kindergartner designed it.

That B on the basketball is so ridiculously plain. Is that Times New Roman?

Old
04-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
That B on the basketball is so ridiculously plain. Is that Times New Roman?
I know right.

They should have gone with their roots and at least used the same font as the old Brooklyn Dodgers.

Now THAT'S a nice looking B.

Old
04-30-2012, 03:07 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
I know right.

They should have gone with their roots and at least used the same font as the old Brooklyn Dodgers.

Now THAT'S a nice looking B.
Looks too much like the Boston Red Sox B. I don't think New Yorkers would be comfortable with that.

This really is the natural conclusion of the annoying "everything throwback is awesome!" trend. A logo so old looking, so 50-years-ago boring, so utterly bland and without any character that it lacks any real identity or appeal. The Blue Jays proved that it's possible to go retro while retaining some modern sensibilities and "snap". This proves that you can be so utterly focused on making it look like the design is old that you forget it still has to be, y'know, good.

and black and white for a color scheme? When's the last time that worked (I realize the LA Kings now use black/white, but there's also some silver/grey in there too)? It's lazy, and it feels like it was drawn up by someone who loves those douchy black/white fashion caps for other sports just because it means that it will go with anything you wear, no matter what colors.

Old
04-30-2012, 04:35 PM
johnnyutah

just making sure i understand our position correctly, math is not my strong suit. we have a 3.9% of getting the third overall pick, correct?

Old
04-30-2012, 05:30 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
just making sure i understand our position correctly, math is not my strong suit. we have a 3.9% of getting the third overall pick, correct?
It's about 3.5%, 4%, and 5% to move up to each of the top 3 spots respectively (in order). Because our record is tied with Golden State (who won the 7th spot because of the coin flip) what happens is the odds of the 7th and 8th spots to move up are combined and then averaged out between the two teams evenly (with GS getting a slight edge if the average doesn't produce an evenly distributable set of odds)

So just for the top pick, they take the 4.3% odds of the 7th pick, plus the 2.8% odds of the 8th pick (ours), add them together to make 7.1%, then cut that in half (3.55%, which is redistributed to be 3.6% for Golden State because they're 7th and 3.5% for us as we're 8th)

Old
04-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
This draft is so deep that even a top 8 pick will look great in next year's starting 5. Yes, the Raptors can grab a starter even with the 8th pick.

I pray one of Lamb or Barnes falls to us.

I'd love to move up to grab MKG. As much as some say he's not the best fit on the Raptors but he can do so many things well and will only add to our recent defensive surge.

Jared Sullinger, Austin Rivers and even someone like Perry Jones have potential high reward.
this draft to me is top 7 deep, and then it falls off a bit. Which is why I'm so annoyed we fell to 8.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Shimso

The Nets logo is really bland but imo its still better than OKC's.
OKC has the worst logo (if you even call it that) and NJ has the worst uniforms

Old
04-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Hyperglide

@Nemesis The Spurs have a pretty good Black and White color scheme. White Sox have a nice theme too. Hell even the Raiders looks bad ass (ya silver and black so what). The black and white isn't want bothers me. It's the utterly dull, unoriginal and bland design. A basketball with a B on it, for the alternate? I could've done that in 5 minutes at a Tim Hortons on a napkin.

@Lebanese Leaf I read at another site that they can't use that old Brooklyn font due to copyright restrictions. So they aren't allowed to use it.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:28 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
@Nemesis The Spurs have a pretty good Black and White color scheme. White Sox have a nice theme too. Hell even the Raiders looks bad ass (ya silver and black so what). The black and white isn't want bothers me. It's the utterly dull, unoriginal and bland design. A basketball with a B on it, for the alternate? I could've done that in 5 minutes at a Tim Hortons on a napkin.

@Lebanese Leaf I read at another site that they can't use that old Brooklyn font due to copyright restrictions. So they aren't allowed to use it.
Spurs use silver too. It's actually mostly black and silver with some white thrown in.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
IMO we have to use our pick and Ed Davis to trade up, the talent really drops off after the top 7.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:37 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
IMO we have to use our pick and Ed Davis to trade up, the talent really drops off after the top 7.
I agree with this 100%! Try to move up for MKG or Beal hopefully. I also wouldn't mind trying to get a mid-round pick to grab Marshall if he is still available as well. Do you think Calderon could be used to move up from the 2nd round?

Old
04-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Players fall as teams in the NBA do, more often than not, end up drafting based on need, much more so than in the NHL draft.

I'm confident we'll get a good player. We can always move up. There is always that possibility.

05-01-2012, 01:10 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

This is the player that we need. #1 Pick in 2014.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:26 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Amare Stoudamire is a complete idiot...

Old
05-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Amare Stoudamire is a complete idiot...
Another overpaid, millionaire, pampered, spoiled, cry-baby athlete. What happened to the men in this league? I never liked Amar'e he reminds me of that showboat that plays at the YMCA or some beer league but w/e. What ever happened to losing with grace? He doesn't have it in between his ears.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:56 PM
The Man in White

vCash: 126
Quote:

I like it. Has a classic feel and doesn't look cartoonish.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:02 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Another overpaid, millionaire, pampered, spoiled, cry-baby athlete. What happened to the men in this league? I never liked Amar'e he reminds me of that showboat that plays at the YMCA or some beer league but w/e. What ever happened to losing with grace? He doesn't have it in between his ears.
I don't think he's handling the fact that his knees have essentially torpedoed his career very well. He can't accept the fact that he's not what he was in Phoenix in terms of ability or importance.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
I don't think he's handling the fact that his knees have essentially torpedoed his career very well. He can't accept the fact that he's not what he was in Phoenix in terms of ability or importance.
Not to sound like a dick here but he was Steve Nash in Phoenix. Also see Shawn Marion.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
So Jared Sullinger with our pick. Would anyone be disappointed? He's not super fast but he doesn't have major holes in his game and is fairly well rounded.

05-03-2012, 11:29 AM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So Jared Sullinger with our pick. Would anyone be disappointed? He's not super fast but he doesn't have major holes in his game and is fairly well rounded.
So overrated it's not even funny anymore.

Trade up in the draft. Use Davis. He's served his purpose here - and wasn't even originally in the Raptors' plans when they drafted him - and could help us get a primo SG/SF i.e. Beal, MKG.

Grab a mid round pick to grab someone like Damian Lillard, Tony Wroten or Marquis Teague.

1: Calderon/Lillard
2: Beal/Bayless
3: Derozan (SF is where I think he plays better)/JJ
4: Bargs/Amir
5: J-Val/Gray

That's a very decent team. Could possibly even challenge for a playoff spot in 2012-13.

Closed Thread