HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

May 8: Meszaros (back surgery) expected to play in Game 5 vs. NJD (updates in post 1)

Old
04-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Keaver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couter View Post
No Mez at practice today.

http://twitter.com/#!/BroadStBull
He came on late

Keaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 11:30 AM
TheKingPin

So what is the actual deal with mez? I thought he was done for the series but sounds like maybe available later?

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:42 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
So what is the actual deal with mez? I thought he was done for the series but sounds like maybe available later?
The deal is that nobdoy knows.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-28-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Site rule #10: Politics is restricted to the political board.
rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:47 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Mez needs to be 100 percent when he comes back. if he comes back at 75 or whatever and takes one crosscheck or hit into the boards then we wont see him again until September. Cannot mess around with a serious back injury.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Flyerfan808

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:31 PM
In G We Trust
who is lord stanley?

Any update on Meszaros..did he practice today?

In G We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:38 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by In G We Trust View Post
Any update on Meszaros..did he practice today?
It was a light practice, he skated.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:47 PM
In G We Trust
who is lord stanley?

My buddy was there and said Bryz didn't practice...because it was a light skate I'm guessing?

Old
04-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Xegiie

am i the only one who doesn't wanna Mez back?
i would use him in pp, but thats it

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:51 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
The odds of us getting through the rest of the playoffs with just Cobrun, Timonen, Lilja, Grossmann, Carle and Gustaffson is about as close to zero as you can get. No need to rush him back, but yes, I want him healthy and available ASAP.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:51 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 597
Quote:
My buddy was there and said Bryz didn't practice...because it was a light skate I'm guessing?
Yes. I sense the plan is to go light on off days. There was a gap in games prior to Game 1 of this series, but mid-series I think there'll be lighter sessions.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
The odds of us getting through the rest of the playoffs with just Cobrun, Timonen, Lilja, Grossmann, Carle and Gustaffson is about as close to zero as you can get. No need to rush him back, but yes, I want him healthy and available ASAP.
i actually think this defence is pretty solid, they did step it up. Mez was terrible in defence whole year, and now after injury? i don't want him back..

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:14 PM
In G We Trust
who is lord stanley?

Meszaros wasn't as good as last year, no doubt, but there's no way you could say his play was terrible this year.

Old
04-30-2012, 03:15 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
i actually think this defence is pretty solid, they did step it up. Mez was terrible in defence whole year, and now after injury? i don't want him back..
Even though Lilja has been playing fine, Mez is still a big upgrade to him.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Yes I think you are the only one. Lilja, Gustufsson, and MAB (when healthy) have done fine, but none of them are as good as Mez. I wouldn't rush him back and make him play hurt, but if he is 100%, put Lilja or Gustufsson in the pressbox.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Meszaros wasn't as good as last year, no doubt, but there's no way you could say his play was terrible this year.
Plus he was obviously playing hurt when he was bad. I'm excited to get him back. These playoffs seem more physical with the hitting. He brings that to the table

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:45 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yes I think you are the only one. Lilja, Gustufsson, and MAB (when healthy) have done fine, but none of them are as good as Mez. I wouldn't rush him back and make him play hurt, but if he is 100%, put Lilja or Gustufsson in the pressbox.
idk. Lilja has played pretty good. his coverage has been solid, and his physical play in the corners has been an asset. Mez's physical play sometimes becomes a weakness. He applies his physical play at times when he shouldn't, such as pinching at the blueline to go for a hit and giving up the middle of the ice, and fails to recognize times when he should, such as a player wide open at the side of the net. He's also not the greatest positional defenseman, and doesn't have a very effective stick at all.

If Mez can come back 100% and be the Mez of last season, then i'm all for him taking Lilja's spot... but if he's being rushed back and if he starts the lackluster play he showed this past season? i say leave him out, unless we get into trouble and need a shakeup.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:56 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
You're really overstating Meszaros' decline.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

You can never have enough defensemen in the playoffs, especially with Timonen looking like a solid check from being in a body cast. Maybe Holmgren could suggest that, for the playoffs at least, Harry Z become Harry D.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
You're really overstating Meszaros' decline.
He was pretty bad this season. Was the worst or one of the worst in all defense advanced stats and overall looked terrible

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
In G We Trust
who is lord stanley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
He was pretty bad this season. Was the worst or one of the worst in all defense advanced stats and overall looked terrible
Might have something to do with a bad back..?

Old
04-30-2012, 06:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Might have something to do with a bad back..?
Doesnt get rid of the fact he played bad hurt or not. Unless he is 100% healthy coming back, he will (most likely) play like he did when he was hurt which was pretty bad. Ya I would like him back but only healthy. I only 50-75% healthy Meszaros isnt good enough, no matter how much one dislikes Gustafsson or Lilja.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:17 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Doesnt get rid of the fact he played bad hurt or not. Unless he is 100% healthy coming back, he will (most likely) play like he did when he was hurt which was pretty bad. Ya I would like him back but only healthy. I only 50-75% healthy Meszaros isnt good enough, no matter how much one dislikes Gustafsson or Lilja.
What makes you think he is being rushed back? He's be out for what, 6 weeks? With a 6-8 week recovery and he has only began somewhat regular practice in recent days. I wouldn't say any of that is an indication he is being rushed.

The team is in no rush what so ever. It will be great to have him back, but IMO as long as the Flyers have a healthy 6 and are leading this series, there is no reason to bring him in unless he can demonstrate in practice that he is infact healthy and a stronger option then one of the 6 currently in the rotation.

Even if another guy goes down there is a Healthy Kubina that can be put in in place of a not so 100% Mez.

No reason to panic or get bent up on this topic, the overall team defense has had a couple moments, but otherwise has been pretty good IMO. It's Bryz that has made the team D look questionable at times by letting in some stinkers. Every New Jersey goal in game 1 was a stinker, I'm hoping he can regain his mid march form as I imagine you are aswell.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:20 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
What makes you think he is being rushed back? He's be out for what, 6 weeks? With a 6-8 week recovery and he has only began somewhat regular practice in recent days. I wouldn't say any of that is an indication he is being rushed.

The team is in no rush what so ever. It will be great to have him back, but IMO as long as the Flyers have a healthy 6 and are leading this series, there is no reason to bring him in unless he can demonstrate in practice that he is infact healthy and a stronger option then one of the 6 currently in the rotation.

Even if another guy goes down there is a Healthy Kubina that can be put in in place of a not so 100% Mez.

No reason to panic or get bent up on this topic, the overall team defense has had a couple moments, but otherwise has been pretty good IMO. It's Bryz that has made the team D look questionable at times by letting in some stinkers. Every New Jersey goal in game 1 was a stinker, I'm hoping he can regain his mid march form as I imagine you are aswell.
That's a bit of an overstatement, IMO.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Danglous

Quote:
Meszaros is an absolute BEAST when he can put his game together. Coming back from a long absence gives players the opportunity to sort of "start fresh" with a clean slate. Who knows? Maybe he can get here and tear it up once he gets his timing back.

Right now the Flyers defense is a big question. It cant hurt to have Mez back.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote