HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Jordan Staal Thread, Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-30-2012, 02:04 PM
  #51
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,577
vCash: 500
The Staal 1-2-punch is just a a very entertaining idea, it's almost too hard not to think of it. But honestly, Carolina might be a direction Marc is headed eventually, being the lone Dman on the family, for Jordan it seems like a weird choice to step right into big brother's shadow, if the reason for leaving Pittsburgh is reportedly wanting to be the go to guy.

TorstenFrings is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:27 PM
  #52
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,240
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
The Staal 1-2-punch is just a a very entertaining idea, it's almost too hard not to think of it. But honestly, Carolina might be a direction Marc is headed eventually, being the lone Dman on the family, for Jordan it seems like a weird choice to step right into big brother's shadow, if the reason for leaving Pittsburgh is reportedly wanting to be the go to guy.
While I'm not sure that's the way things will go, I think the difference between Staal's role in Carolina and his role here is, he's only behind Eric in Carolina, and could potentially play with Eric on the top PP unit there. In Pittsburgh, he's behind Crosby and Malkin, and relegated to second PP unit.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:28 PM
  #53
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
People in hockey media are always mentioning which players are friends and talking about brothers/friends wanting to play together. Whos to say Jordan and Eric even get along that well?
Whos to say Jordan would want to leave Pittsburgh to no longer be known as the "3rd center" only to be "Erics brother" even more so than hes ever been.
Exactly. If I were Staal and I wanted out of Pittsburgh so I could assume a top 6 center role, I'm not sure my first choice would be the team where I would be "Eric's brother" rather than Jordan Staal. I want a place that lets me be "the guy" (ex Nashville)or a serious cup contender where I'm the number 2 center (Ex Chicago, Anaheim, possibly San Jose). Of course, maybe he really wants to play with his brother. Who knows.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:28 PM
  #54
mlechtner13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Can anyone answer the question of why he wants to leave? I don't understand him wanting to leave. He tore it up in the playoffs this year and had his best statistical season in the NHL. Yeah, he's a 3rd liner, but he still plays 17 to 20+ minutes a game.

mlechtner13 is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
  #55
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlechtner13 View Post
Can anyone answer the question of why he wants to leave? I don't understand him wanting to leave. He tore it up in the playoffs this year and had his best statistical season in the NHL. Yeah, he's a 3rd liner, but he still plays 17 to 20+ minutes a game.
It's all speculation, but here's my understanding. Staal believes he is a top 2 center, possibly top center on many NHL teams (I think he is right). I'm sure he likes playing defense, but he saw his offensive opportunities increase with Sid out of the line up and he produced. It probably felt really good to score goals and he wants more offensive opportunities. He won't get that at center in Pittsburgh playing behind 2 of the best centers in the world. He knows there are many teams that would want his services as a top center on their team. So it seems likely that he is considering it.

He does play a lot for a 3rd line center, but gets very little PP time and far less offensive zone faceoff starts than a guy like Malkin.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:34 PM
  #56
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlechtner13 View Post
Can anyone answer the question of why he wants to leave? I don't understand him wanting to leave. He tore it up in the playoffs this year and had his best statistical season in the NHL. Yeah, he's a 3rd liner, but he still plays 17 to 20+ minutes a game.
Quality of minutes. He doesn't get PP time and he doesn't play with skill. Isn't expected to play a major part offensively either, especially if Sid/Geno are rolling.

Remember Sid's season before the concussion, Geno was **** and Staal was injured and we were among the best teams in the league, if not the best at the time.

If Sid/Geno both are rolling next season, his importance offensively, at least in the regular season, is largely diminished.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:35 PM
  #57
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,825
vCash: 500
What would Carolina have to offer that the Pens would want? Maybe I'm crazy but Joni Pitkanen doesn't get my juices flowing.

AgentM is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:40 PM
  #58
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
While I'm not sure that's the way things will go, I think the difference between Staal's role in Carolina and his role here is, he's only behind Eric in Carolina, and could potentially play with Eric on the top PP unit there. In Pittsburgh, he's behind Crosby and Malkin, and relegated to second PP unit.
He might be on thier top PP unit. Theyd be balancing 3 lefties with the two Staals and Skinner but I guess thats a little better than our 4 with Malkin/Sid/Neal/Staal.

Another point I'd have to make is that unless some of Carolinas younger players really step up I'm not sure being a second line center in Carolina really gets him better linemates then being a 3rd line center in Pittsburgh.

regard is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:42 PM
  #59
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
What would Carolina have to offer that the Pens would want? Maybe I'm crazy but Joni Pitkanen doesn't get my juices flowing.
Skinner. He's a guy I can see who would be relatively cost effective down the road but will make teams pay not double covering him focusing their attention on one of Sid/Geno.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:50 PM
  #60
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Skinner. He's a guy I can see who would be relatively cost effective down the road but will make teams pay not double covering him focusing their attention on one of Sid/Geno.
I like Skinner, the kid is good no doubt, but if he was a right handed shot I'd be more excited about that idea. If we trade Staal don't we almost have to get a top 4 defenseman or a right handed shot that is a sniper or net front presence on the PP?

AgentM is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:52 PM
  #61
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Interesting deal would be staal for skinner straight up... Not sure canes fans would like it but i think its pretty close

McTank is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:54 PM
  #62
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Maybe its just me but I dont think Skinner for Staal helps Carolina much.
They now have 3 good centermen, two being good two way guys, but have even less winger talent for them to play with.

regard is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:57 PM
  #63
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
By July 1, Shero needs to have figured out the plan for the defense, because come July 1 the priority shifts to re-signing Crosby AND Staal A S A P.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:57 PM
  #64
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Maybe its just me but I dont think Skinner for Staal helps Carolina much.
They now have 3 good centermen, two being good two way guys, but have even less winger talent for them to play with.
It wouldn't make sense for them, but that's the only player on that team I'd want back.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 03:04 PM
  #65
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Either way I think if staal moves this summer, and I have a feeling if a contract is signed quickly he will be, you guys should get a very handsome return when the sweepstakes heat up for this guy

McTank is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 03:06 PM
  #66
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It wouldn't make sense for them, but that's the only player on that team I'd want back.
Yeah most likely.
Maybe something could be done with Gleason, Faulk, Dalpe but I cant think of any "quality" package too promising to make it worth it for us.

Regardless of what the media decides to harp on all offseason I still think if Staal wanted to leave it would be to play for a team like Buffallo, Toronto, maybe Nashville, Florida...etc. A team that can be competitive and can use insert him right into one of the top 6 and onto the top PP. (Obviously he cant choose where hes traded to but I'm assuming Shero would rather just keep him and a smart GM would want to know if Jordan will extend with them before giving up a worthy package.)

TSN and other outlets can look to stir up what they want but leaving the Crosby/Malkin shadow with wingers like Cooke/TK to be under the "Big brother Eric" shadow and play with Larose and Jokinen doesnt sound like enough of an upgrade to me. Especially on a team much less competitive. Hell if the realignment happens Carolina might never make the playoffs no matter how many Staals they have.

regard is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 03:12 PM
  #67
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,337
vCash: 500
I would hope if Staal wants to leave, he gives us an opportunity to get some value back for him. Shero talks with him about a list of teams he wants to go to and he starts talking to GMs.

Losing him for nothing would be tough. We need to at least get back a replacement center, top 4 D or a winger to help replace his offense.


Last edited by mpp9: 04-30-2012 at 03:20 PM.
mpp9 is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 03:16 PM
  #68
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I would hope if Staal wants to leave, he gives us an opportunity to get some value back for him. Shero talks with him about a list of teams he wants to go to and he starts talking to GMs.

Losing him for nothing would be tough. We need to least get back a replacement center, top 4 D or a winger to help replace his offense.
Does Staal have a No Trade Clause?

AgentM is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 03:20 PM
  #69
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Does Staal have a No Trade Clause?
Nope

mpp9 is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 03:24 PM
  #70
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Nope
So do we care where he wants to go in a trade? Shouldn't Shero simply make the best trade possible? Or are you saying that Shero should talk to Staal about teams he likes to guarantee it's not a rental for the other team and therefore we get a bigger return?

AgentM is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 03:32 PM
  #71
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
So do we care where he wants to go in a trade? Shouldn't Shero simply make the best trade possible? Or are you saying that Shero should talk to Staal about teams he likes to guarantee it's not a rental for the other team and therefore we get a bigger return?
That was my thinking, I said something like that above. You would think a GM wouldnt offer up a really good package (say the Richards/Carter packages compared to the Hossa/Kolvuchuk) unless he had some idea his team would be what Staal wanted.

regard is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 03:33 PM
  #72
Lowe in Oil
Registered User
 
Lowe in Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisgood View Post
Then do Orpik and TK for Stewart, Cole and Rattie.

Sign Allen.

Eberle - Crosby - Stewart
Yakupov - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Lander - Dupuis
Someone - Vitale - Someone

Letang - Michalek
Allen - Despres
Cole - Engelland
Bortuzzo
Not to rain on your parade, but the Oilers wont be giving up Yakupov AND Eberle in any trade.
Also, they're both RWers.


Maybe this would make more sense:

Yakupov + Gagner

for

Staal + Morrow

But Staal would have to sign an extension first, which likely wont happen, but it might ;-)

Lowe in Oil is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 03:35 PM
  #73
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
So do we care where he wants to go in a trade? Shouldn't Shero simply make the best trade possible? Or are you saying that Shero should talk to Staal about teams he likes to guarantee it's not a rental for the other team and therefore we get a bigger return?
Yes, we need to have Staal on board so we can give teams some assurance he will resign longterm with them.

We're better off holding onto him another year and seeing how things unfold financially than trade him for scraps.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 03:43 PM
  #74
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!
 
Jules Winnfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,808
vCash: 500
How about we just keep Staal and make him the first line LW? Then he's our insurance at C incase Sid or Malkin get hurt.

Sign a 3rd line C like Dominic Moore over the offseason and sell Staal on being a winger. His offensive play is more suited to be a winger due to his board work/posting in the slot for shots than being a C. His C comes in handy defensively but being a winger doesn't mean you can't have an awesome defensive winger too, i.e. Hossa, Zetterberg, etc.

Jules Winnfield is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 03:49 PM
  #75
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
How about we just keep Staal and make him the first line LW? Then he's our insurance at C incase Sid or Malkin get hurt.

Sign a 3rd line C like Dominic Moore over the offseason and sell Staal on being a winger. His offensive play is more suited to be a winger due to his board work/posting in the slot for shots than being a C. His C comes in handy defensively but being a winger doesn't mean you can't have an awesome defensive winger too, i.e. Hossa, Zetterberg, etc.
It all comes down to what Staal wants. He may not want to play wing and might make that clear to Shero. They can play him as wing with Crosby all they want during the season, but if Staal makes it clear he wants to be a top 2 center somewhere, then Shero has to explore trade options. I'm not saying he wants that. None of us know.

With regards to trade talk, I look at it like those proposing deals are under the assumption Staal wants out.

Shady Machine is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.