HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Marcus Johansson

Old
04-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
marcus johansson is a different king of player than nicklas backstrom. dont expect the same things. he is not an elite passer. he creates assists with his speed and the simple pass. in the end he is going to score more goals per assist than backstrom does because of the speed as well.

he is a 21 year old center with nearly 50 nhl points and was not a top 5 pick. it might be that he disappointed your expectations because they were a bit too high.
This has nothing to do with Backstrom or passing ability, it's about MAJO's poor decision-making. Backstrom and MAJO are more different than they are similar as hockey players, so there's really no need to compare the two.

Decision-making is something that can improve over time, so here's hoping MAJO continues to improve.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 06:53 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
I wish they drafted Casey Cizikas, too.He fell to the Isles in the 4th round. BTW, Isles made another such pick in Kabanov later.
Major, major red flags on him at the draft. Like teams didn't know if he'd ever get to play for them major. I would have passed on him too.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 07:06 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, a 21 year old who put up 46 points in his second season (third on the team), and increased his per-game production by roughly 47% from his rookie season.

If he were to hypothetically increase his production a similar amount next year, he'd put up 69 points over 82 games.

The kid's got great upside, and is still far from filling out his frame.
This... I know it is natural for fans to view things at the moment/the future is now. As MoJo physically matures we'll see that side of the game where he lacks even out.

04-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Look at the complaints about him. Not big enough, not good along the boards, needs to improve his finishing, not great at faceoffs, etc.

Then consider his age and career path. Most of these are fixable problems. Especially if he fills out more in the next couple years. It's not like he lacks talent or speed or work ethic or hockey IQ. This kid has tons of potential and the lesser parts of his game can be filled in.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 08:26 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

He has skill, speed, and hockey IQ. All things that can't be taught. The only thing he needs to work on IMO is being stronger, especially with the puck. You can tell by the type of player he is that he has carried the puck alot at previous levels. But him getting knocked off the puck easily greatly hinders that. If he could get stronger with the puck I think he will be a consistent 65-75 point player, as his point totals (especially assists) should sky rocket as he gets older and stronger, and allows him to control the puck more.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:24 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Major, major red flags on him at the draft. Like teams didn't know if he'd ever get to play for them major. I would have passed on him too.
I think in the third round... I'd take a flyer on him.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:26 AM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
I think in the third round... I'd take a flyer on him.
Easy to say that now

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:42 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

His potential is great to gamble on HF or a rebuilding team where you don't have $16+mil tied up in two players right in their prime. What he actually is right now is a soft winger that turns to puck over to avoid hits and is useless at faceoffs when he plays major minutes as a center. He looks a lot like Flash, who turned out to be an above average winger but is by no means irreplaceable.

Best case scenario where he magically hits the production everyone is projecting (which is mostly based on him as a winger), he is probably going to get $2.5-3mil minimum when he hits RFA. It's easily worth trading him to fill a major hole at 2C RIGHT NOW with someone like Pavelski who's signed to an affordable contract until 2014. It also has the added benefit of moving Laich back to wing where it is a more effective use of his $4.5mil caphit.

His numbers as a winger and potential is worth more than what he actually brings to the team NOW. Best to sell high right now IF it brings back a solution to the 2C problem.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Otaru

Love him as a winger. Could be stronger on the boards but that will come in time I think... Hope he stays in Washington.

Otaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Millhaus

Most of the weaknesses in Johansson's game come down to lack of strength, which is a common problem for young players.

He is far from the finished article and IMO it is well worth waiting for him to mature both physically and as a player as a whole.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 06:00 AM
Huffman

Olympics is coming up, how has Johansson looked for you guys this season? How is his defensive game?

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 06:10 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Look at the complaints about him. Not big enough, not good along the boards, needs to improve his finishing, not great at faceoffs, etc.
Then consider his age and career path. Most of these are fixable problems.
Sigh. MJ hasn't progressed well yet.

Acallabeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
I disagree. I definitely feel he looks stronger, competes harder, is more aggressive, and is more effective along the boards this season than he has been in the past.

Is he the finished article? Definitely not but I don't see how you can say he isn't progressing.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Have you watched him at all this season?

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I disagree. I definitely feel he looks stronger, competes harder, is more aggressive, and is more effective along the boards this season than he has been in the past.

Is he the finished article? Definitely not but I don't see how you can say he isn't progressing.
I didn't say he didn't progressed at all.
But he's still a terrible finisher, plays way below his size (btw, I feel like him gaining weight made Johansson lose a bit of his glorious speed), still not good enough at board game.

Acallabeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:00 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Johansson h8t0r #1 here. He's made big strides. Given his salary and they way the top line and PP are producing (though not necessarily playing) there's really nothing to criticize him about. Hes earned the chance to hold down his spot and continue to grow.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
um

mojo is the new semin and when hes gone and replaced with some canadian we'll all miss him.

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 11:08 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
mojo is the new semin and when hes gone and replaced with some canadian we'll all miss him.
Actually he's opposite Semin.

Semin was a 100 point talent who put up 50 points.

Johansson is a 40 point talent who might reach 80.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bro, does he even watch?

Hator #1 aside, Johansson will probably always have his detractors (more along the lines of Fleischmann than Semin) as long as his play style doesn't change significantly (and aspects of it bother me), and it's kind of unfair that he's always going to be measured against the high expectations he created for himself in the Channel One Cup. If Brad Tolliver, RIP, were here I'm sure he would be leading the anti-Mojo charge.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 03:29 PM
FloridaCap
Fire everybody

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
Olympics is coming up, how has Johansson looked for you guys this season? How is his defensive game?
Defensively responsible, but not some defensive stud. Fast enough to be an effective backchecker. Decent on the forecheck. Never, under any circumstance, will he shoot the puck. Pretty good passer, especially on the PP. Pretty good at zone entries. Mediocre along the boards. Good vision.

I think that about covers it.

FloridaCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 03:45 PM
artilector

At his current salary, there is nothing to complain about.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 03:50 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
At his current salary, there is nothing to complain about.

As long as he's producing at this pace you're right.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Hey Caps fans, I have a question for my fantasy pool! I see that Marcus is 0-10-10 and obviously he's feeding off of Ovi a lot so my question is if Marcus can be expected to produce consistently and if he's essentially tied to Ovi on the same line?

There are other players that offer greater offensive upside but anyone on Ovi's line is tempting....

Cresto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 03:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

He's getting consistent time on the top line yes. Seems like the Caps are sold on him blossoming there.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 03:57 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Actually he's opposite Semin.

Semin was a 100 point talent who put up 50 points.

Johansson is a 40 point talent who might reach 80.
im saying there skills are similar they are similar in the way we treat them, such as your unrealistic point projections.

also 100 point talent for semin are you kidding me? hockey isnt a skills competition theres much more to it than having a nice shot. semin having 2 great (on pace for) seasons is no reason to hate him for the rest of his career.

um is offline   Reply With Quote