Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Just say no to Garrison...

Old
04-30-2012, 12:39 PM
State of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Murphy has not progressed as much as Brodin has since the draft.
Murphy is simply the player I would have picked on that day back in June. It's debatable over who has progressed more. Murphy started out slow with the injury, but in the latter stages he was above last year's pace. Not a huge improvement though, just like Brodin. If you base things off of improvement we see a year later, we should have selected Baertschi or Klefbom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
The WJC more than proved that.
Why? Because he played well in it? Not going to cut it because that should be expected. Maybe some perspective would help on Brodin. In this year's WJC, he was the second-highest drafted defensemen in the entire tournament, only one spot behind the highest (Hamilton). So he had better have done well, because he was drafted as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
I don't know if it's a matter of progression with Brodin as he was already NHL ready according to our scouts. His biggest problems were size and assertiveness. The assertiveness issue is probably well on its way to disappearing as he skates top minutes on his pro club. Size...he's how old?
One of Brodin's biggest negatives is his lack off offensive production, not size. This year he did nothing to help ease that concern. He continued to be good in his areas of strength and questionable in areas of weakness.

Quote:
People keep praising Leddy for some reason. He isn't horrible, but he isn't that great either (as far as "progression" goes). A lot of Hawks fans this year were complaining that he wasn't as sheltered this year as he should be at this stage in his development--i don't think we'll have to shelter Brodin at all. Leddy certainly isn't a bust, but he isn't anything to pine after either.
It's an acknowledgment of far Leddy has come since being a Gopher. He's still got work to do in the defensive side of things, but his game has increased rapidly even after being pushed early into the NHL.

Brodin's defensive game is no guarantee to translate into a much bigger, faster, and more talented league. What comes easy for him now could blow him away in the NHL. That's where you'd like to see some proven offensive ability to help offset the one-dimensional peg we're resting our hat on.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:53 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Okay? 37 points in a full sophomore season in which he played all 82 games. That is outstanding. Obviously, his defense has plenty of room for improvement. But to say okay for a 21 year old defenseman that is already producing solid point totals in the best league in the world is a pretty stale train of thought. Considering how long defenseman usually take to develop, this is great. We can't negatively judge his performance because Fletcher made a mistake in trading him.
37 points...and a -12 on the season on the 5th highest scoring team in the league. His average of -0.37 +/- per 60 is the worst of the regular defensemen for Chicago (although Sean O'Donnell did worse in his 51 starts). Meanwhile he had a just about even QoC with the team's highest QoT. That means he played very protected minutes and still ended up with an atrocious +/- stat.

Old
04-30-2012, 12:55 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Murphy is simply the player I would have picked on that day back in June. It's debatable over who has progressed more. Murphy started out slow with the injury, but in the latter stages he was above last year's pace. Not a huge improvement though, just like Brodin. If you base things off of improvement we see a year later, we should have selected Baertschi or Klefbom.
It's debatable in the literal sense that it is a qualitative measure.

It is not debatable in the sense that reasonable, informed debate could theoretically have multiple conclusions. Murphy might not go in the first round at all in a re-draft, and he probably shouldn't.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Okay? 37 points in a full sophomore season in which he played all 82 games. That is outstanding. Obviously, his defense has plenty of room for improvement. But to say okay for a 21 year old defenseman that is already producing solid point totals in the best league in the world is a pretty stale train of thought. Considering how long defenseman usually take to develop, this is great. We can't negatively judge his performance because Fletcher made a mistake in trading him.
if you haven't been following along--i never liked that pick. ever. travelling back in time i'd still be against it. having a buttload of offensive weapons on the front end wouldn't happen to have anything at all to do with Leddys point totals would they?

edit: in the interest of fairness on his defensive shortcomings their D as a whole looked like they took a step back in that regard. don't know if they were always that unspectacular in their own end and the goalies had been bailing them out or what, but they didn't look anything like they should defensively.

Old
04-30-2012, 02:11 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

SOH--you realize that Brodin was never projected to be an offensive defenseman and that we didn't draft him even in part for his offensive upside, right? So what's this progress = points crap?

Old
04-30-2012, 03:17 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
if you haven't been following along--i never liked that pick. ever. travelling back in time i'd still be against it. having a buttload of offensive weapons on the front end wouldn't happen to have anything at all to do with Leddys point totals would they?
you have to admit leddy has improved by 100%. hes twice as good now as he was last year. guys got a good stick, breaks up plays really well. i wasnt a fan of that draft pick either but, unfortunately thats the one bad thing that fletcher did.. trade away leddy. we lost 2 players and got nothing in return

Old
04-30-2012, 03:33 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
you have to admit leddy has improved by 100%. hes twice as good now as he was last year. guys got a good stick, breaks up plays really well. i wasnt a fan of that draft pick either but, unfortunately thats the one bad thing that fletcher did.. trade away leddy. we lost 2 players and got nothing in return
i haven't watched him a whole lot this year. I'm just going off of a casual scanning of Hawks' fans opinions and it really didn't sound as if he is playing better this year, though as I said they blame that on the poor(er) defensive game for everyone this year. that isn't to say they are unhappy with Leddy--they're not. But a 100% improvement is a gross exaggeration. He looks worse this year if anything.

Old
04-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Pinchy11

I'm so ungodly sick of this stupid leddy debate.

In my opinion if we keep leddy, we don't pickup spurgeon. In parts of two seasons leddy 128 gp 7g 37a = 44 points, spurgeon 123gp 7g 28a = 35 points. Leddy is -15 for his career, spurgeon is -5.

So for leddy to be on a superior offensive team to have only 9 more points and a worse +/- than spurgeon. I would take spurgeon any day of the week.

Old
04-30-2012, 03:49 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchy11 View Post
I'm so ungodly sick of this stupid leddy debate.

In my opinion if we keep leddy, we don't pickup spurgeon. In parts of two seasons leddy 128 gp 7g 37a = 44 points, spurgeon 123gp 7g 28a = 35 points. Leddy is -15 for his career, spurgeon is -5.

So for leddy to be on a superior offensive team to have only 9 more points and a worse +/- than spurgeon. I would take spurgeon any day of the week.
Whoa whoa whoa!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
04-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 0

Old
04-30-2012, 04:11 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Since this is supposed to be about Brodin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodin25
Fan vad bra! Clichy var grym idag.. #ManCity
Per Google Translate (take it for what it's worth) - Damn good! Clichy was a great present .. # ManCity

Old
04-30-2012, 04:23 PM
SouthSwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post

Per Google Translate (take it for what it's worth) - Damn good! Clichy was a great present .. # ManCity
"So damn good! Clichy was superb today"

Every bloody player was so good today. I wanted Richards to start instead of Zabaleta, but wooow what a game he did.
Love that Brodin is a City fan aswell

Old
04-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post

I'd translate the latter part as "Clichy was fierce today." Sounds like our boy Jonas is a Manchester City fan.

Old
04-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
I didn't even know that Brodin was on twitter. I like his profile picture, though.

Old
04-30-2012, 04:31 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

'No matter how bad you think your day is going, remember that there are people out there that take soccer seriously.'

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
04-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
I didn't even know that Brodin was on twitter. I like his profile picture, though.

Kind of got a bit of a superhero mid change look going on there.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Kind of got a bit of a superhero mid change look going on there.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

That's one way for Brodin to put size on...

Old
04-30-2012, 06:44 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i see a juicing controversy in our future.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
i see a juicing controversy in our future.
I'm not sure if Gamma radiation is banned by the NHL.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:

OH MY GOD!

Someone needs to send that to Brodin.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:56 PM