HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

ECSF - Game One - Your New Jersey Devils @ Philadelphia Flyers PART II

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2012, 07:34 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
You have this ridiculous hatred for the Hurricanes that I don't understand. Cam Ward is one of the 5 best goalies in the league. For someone who defends Marty left and right and blames his defense for a lot of his blunders, you should understand where Cam Ward comes from. Even look at the D he had when he won the Cup. He's never once had a good defense. I honestly can't guess who their best D-man has been since the lockout, because no one stands out.
I am sorry but no way is Ward deserving of top 5 in the league.

04-30-2012, 07:34 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

i don't think anyone was saying ward is better than brodeur...

Old
04-30-2012, 07:35 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

I should have never came in here wtf was I thinking coming in here today.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeurRULES View Post
I got your back now way can Ward be compared to Marty even if he has Conn Sythme.
Thanks, but your name is Brodeur rules! You, and I have Marty avatars! Clearly biased opinions!

Have to go to the main board for this case. I'm afraid we won't find much help though.

Marty giving up softies for 10 years too? I remember someone telling me Marty sucks the last 3 years. I tried debating with them that Marty had a bad 95 season. I thought he was the next Sean Burke to bring up that name again. He wound up winning the Cup, and having a damn good playoffs though.

Marty's had bad games throughout his career was the point I was trying to make. It might be happening more often now than it did then. He did have some bad games in that 03 Conference Finals series against Ottawa.

I have no problem with criticizing Marty. I don't think he has a problem with you criticizing him either. I just see parallels between Rangers fans who called him a system goalie, and some Devils fans saying he's been useless since Stevens, Neidermayer left, and hasn't won a Cup since. The king of softies for 10 years comment hits a little close to that.

ONE great player out of how many? Like I said is the Gretzky/Lemieux comment good enough?

Jaromir Jagr was called the greatest player in the world once. Even as little as 10 years ago. Even by Lemieux, and Gretzky too I believe. Jagr won a Cup his first two years straight in the league. Hasn't in 20 years now, and has played all but the last 3 before this in the league.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:37 PM
apice3*

Quote:
I am sorry but no way is Ward deserving of top 5 in the league.
Cam Ward is definitely a top 5 goalie in the league. He is fantastic but his defense is putrid. They make our current defense look like it did in the 90's.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

I would love to have a goalie like Cam Ward. Are people trying to claim Brodeur is better then Ward right now?

Old
04-30-2012, 07:40 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

i donno if ward is top 5, but he's definitely up there. there's definitely an argument to be made to have him in the top 5 though. i know i'd take quick, rinne, and lundqvist over him. maybe miller and thomas as well. but that's about it.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroku Saki View Post
I would love to have a goalie like Cam Ward. Are people trying to claim Brodeur is better then Ward right now?
No, but I've watched quite a few games where he's given up stoppable goals this year. One game was against us in November right after Marty came back from injury. We won 3-2.

Ward beat Marty in weak goals 2-1.

I can't believe it's come to this that on the Devils board to fellow Devils fans we're saying Cam Ward is better than Marty or me having to say Cam might be better now, but will never be Marty.

I expect this on the Canes board, or even on the main board.

Told you Marty should have retired 5 years ago.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:43 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

cam is better now. no, he will probably never have a better career. there's a chance that nobody will. you brought cam up anyway.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:46 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
No, but I've watched quite a few games where he's given up stoppable goals this year. One game was against us in November right after Marty came back from injury. We won 3-2.

Ward beat Marty in weak goals 2-1.

I can't believe it's come to this that on the Devils board to fellow Devils fans we're saying Cam Ward is better than Marty or me having to say Cam might be better now, but will never be Marty.

I expect this on the Canes board, or even on the main board.

Told you Marty should have retired 5 years ago.
Brodeur has been the king of letting in stoppable goals. He's been that way his entire career, even in his prime. It comes with his playstyle.

I'm not complaining about it but if you can't say Ward isn't a good goaltender because he lets in softies and then proceed to slob over Marty's knob.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

I was stating Cam Ward with a million dollar more cap hit than Marty gives up softies a lot. So does Braden Holtby a rookie. Marty is old. It's understandable if he can't play to that level. Forget just his age. I wasn't trying to have a debate about who is better, but I was called out on it for calling him an overpaid POS.

When you post comments though on a public forum you always need to be ready to defend your comments, and debate I guess.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Ward is better now, Marty had the better career. Ward is currently top 10 in the league, Marty is top 10 all time.

This really shouldn't be controversial.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Hollywood163

Ward seems to be injured allot

Old
04-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

Quote:
Brodeur has been the king of letting in stoppable goals. He's been that way his entire career, even in his prime. It comes with his playstyle.

I'm not complaining about it but if you can't say Ward isn't a good goaltender because he lets in softies and then proceed to slob over Marty's knob.
Never said Ward isn't good. Though the POS comment would make you assume.

Marty let in stoppable goals a lot in 95. He revealed this year he had his foot taped that entire season. Don't know if that played into it or not.

We can't expect Marty to win Vezinas right now. Though we can't say he's sucked for 10 years. Remember he won Vezinas with a team even worse than this in 08. He wasn't even the best in the league then, but we had a Hurricanes like D at that time.

He can usually stop most breakaways, and odd man rushes 4 out of 5 times depending on if they try to shoot like Briere did yesterday. He's had his shaky moments this playoffs too. Believe me I aint gonna get defensive over criticism, but it seems he needs to justify every goal he lets in nowadays.

He was very beloved by this fanbase up until the last year. Like I said many times. Maclean didn't get this hate last year by some people.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:55 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
He was very beloved by this fanbase up until the last year. Like I said many times. Maclean didn't get this hate last year by some people.
He's still the most beloved player in team history. It's not about that. In fact, this entire debate is about Ward and has pretty much nothing to do with Brodeur.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

Mikka Kiprusoff is a goaltender who plays for a bad team who I think is better than Ward. Kiprusoff is great, but Calgary SUCKS. Kiprusoff kept his team in it when Marty, and then Moose F'd up our game in Calgary, and we put a lot of pressure on him. He's great in most games actually. Not so good in a shootout though. I'm a big fan of his.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:57 PM
JimEIV

Marty is above criticism. Period.

Marty has been performing at elite level since before some posters here were about to wipe their own ass.

He is one of the essential components that brought this organization prominence and really hasn't had a bad season since last year.

It really makes me sick how harsh and critical Brodeur is judged on this board while a slob like Kovalchuk will get every freaking excuse known to man....yeah Marty has been injured too for the last two years but I guess that is irrelevant.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:58 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
how about this, they both suck dingleballs now. in their own special way.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

Quote:
He's still the most beloved player in team history. It's not about that. In fact, this entire debate is about Ward and has pretty much nothing to do with Brodeur.
I didn't mean you or anyone who has posted in this thread giving Brodeur hate. I notice it more on TG's blog, and on here by posters who basically come here when he has a bad game.

Alright agreed. The debate is a non issue.

Now it's time to bash Clemmensen! Just kidding just kidding!

How about Bryz. We can all agree he sucks right?

Old
04-30-2012, 08:05 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Something he should have gotten in 2003 your point............So in my head Marty does have a Conn Smythe. 10 years really ? Give me a freaking break Marty would be 29 and ready to get his 3rd cup.

And you probable think every great shot is soft...............
I think when you're talking about NHL-caliber players that every shot on goal is a legitimate scoring opportunity.

But to say that Marty just started giving up softies recently is ridiculous.

He plays a style that most goalies don't play, that means he's able to make saves that other goalies aren't capable of making. It also means that routine saves for a butterfly goalie are difficult saves for him. That just comes with the territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroku Saki View Post
TheDevilMadeMe wanted Tallinder waived and now he has been harping on Volchenkov for the past two weeks. He was no where to be seen when Volchenkov was our best defenseman down the stretch.
To be fair, I want Tallinder waived to. The guy has been pure garbage since the end of 2008.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post

Marty has been performing at elite level since before some posters here were about to wipe their own ass.

He is one of the essential components that brought this organization prominence and really hasn't had a bad season since last year.

It really makes me sick how harsh and critical Brodeur is judged on this board while a slob like Kovalchuk will get every freaking excuse known to man....yeah Marty has been injured too for the last two years but I guess that is irrelevant.
I fear if we lose this series, and the odds are against us here, that Marty will get the blame. He got the blame from a lot that we even needed to go 7 games. Did a thankless job in keeping us in the game in OT though in game 7. He did steal us that game though. Even if you think he cost us game 3 he made up for it. I thought the goals he let in in 09 in game 7 were as bad as anyone. At least the tying goal by Carolina was. The winner wasn't quite as bad that I remember. He wasn't having it in Florida though.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:10 PM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

vCash: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autos View Post
i don't think anyone was saying ward is better than brodeur...
Right now? Hell yeah he is!

Old
04-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnots13 View Post
Right now? Hell yeah he is!
Just reminding you that you have the GDT for tomorrow.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:18 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I think when you're talking about NHL-caliber players that every shot on goal is a legitimate scoring opportunity.

But to say that Marty just started giving up softies recently is ridiculous.

He plays a style that most goalies don't play, that means he's able to make saves that other goalies aren't capable of making. It also means that routine saves for a butterfly goalie are difficult saves for him. That just comes with the territory.

To be fair, I want Tallinder waived to. The guy has been pure garbage since the end of 2008.
Very selective memory... Are you forgetting that the Tallinder-Fayne pairing brought stability to an otherwise chaotic defense last season and was the foundation of our surge up the standings? They were fantastic as a pairing once Fayne came into his own, and it's not like Fayne carried Tallinder.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:22 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post

Well said !!!!!

Closed Thread