Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deep and Diverse Group Populate Dallas Stars Top-20

Old
04-30-2012, 07:30 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I don't consider myself a Glennie apologist either. I just think most people have entirely unrealistic expectations about a bottom 5 pick in the Top 10:

7 - Rostizlav Olesz
8 - Alexandre Picard
9 - Ladislav Smid
10 - Boris Valabik

7 - Jack Skille
8 - Devin Setoguchi
9 - Brian Lee
10 - Luc Bourdon

7 - Kyle Okposo
8 - Peter Mueller
9 - James Sheppard
10 - Michael Frolik

7 - Jakub Voracek
8 - Zach Hamill
9 - Logan Couture
10 - Keaton Ellerby

7 - Colin Wilson
8 - Mikkel Boedkker
9 - Josh Bailey
10 - Cody Hodgson

7 - Nazem Kadri
8 - Scott Glennie
9 - Jared Cowen
10 - Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:30 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
That's a pretty ridiculous statement ... and a ridiculously large scale.
Looking at how successful picks below him (our own included) have already been (and are likely going to be), it'll take a lot for him to be a good pick in my book.

90 points probably is a bit high. 70 is probably more of what it'll take.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
BigG44

Be pissed all you want about being scared of Russians, but Glennie is a successful pick if he just becomes a complimentary player in the Top 6 scoring 50 or 60 points.

Most people taken in his position never even accomplish that.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

It's funny, too, because whenever I see people saying that guys who will probably go around 6th-14th are going to be top line forwards or top pairing D-men, I just laugh. They're not. Most will be lucky to be top 6 forwards or top 4 D-men.

But there's something about Glennie I just don't like. Not him as a person, but him being picked at 8th.

I'll take my statements back, though. You've brought up some great points.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:41 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Looking at how successful picks below him (our own included) have already been (and are likely going to be), it'll take a lot for him to be a good pick in my book.

90 points probably is a bit high. 70 is probably more of what it'll take.
That's nonsense ... Kulikov is the only guy taken in Glennie's range with success, and Glennie was a minor reach at best since he was consider mostly an early teen's pick (most often projected at 10). It's the nature of the draft which is highly unpredictable. You don't get too many first line forwards scoring 70 points in Glennie's range.

Guys develop at different paces ... there's a reason players fall to the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th round (and virtually ever other team has passed them over at least once). They don't become legitimate reasons 3 years later that your 1st round pick sucks. Those players are success stories on their own. They don't represent your 1st round pick in any way.

The fact of the matter is people incorrectly assume/pretend a Top 10 pick in the NHL draft is a sure thing ... .this isn't the NFL because these aren't 22 to 25 year old men. They're 18 year old teenagers that aren't even close to a finished product.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:45 PM
BigG44

Quote:
It's funny, too, because whenever I see people saying that guys who will probably go around 6th-14th are going to be top line forwards or top pairing D-men, I just laugh. They're not. Most will be lucky to be top 6 forwards or top 4 D-men.

But there's something about Glennie I just don't like. Not him as a person, but him being picked at 8th.

I'll take my statements back, though. You've brought up some great points.
That I can get on board with. The pick seemed strange. I bring it up all the time ... but if I could get one straight answer from GMJN ... 100% honesty ... it would be, "Why the hell did you pick Glennie when you never even talked to the kid?"

I don't know why ... but that just blows my mind, especially when you consider how much they scouted and interacted with Alex Chiasson and Reilly Smith.

Plus .. as far as not liking him ... Twitter does that guy no favors. He comes off as immature. Right or wrong, Campbell, Oleksiak, and other prospects on Twitter definitely seem to be much more professional.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:47 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
That's nonsense ... Kulikov is the only guy taken in Glennie's range with success, and Glennie was a minor reach at best since he was consider mostly an early teen's pick (most often projected at 10). It's the nature of the draft which is highly unpredictable. You don't get too many first line forwards scoring 70 points in Glennie's range.

Guys develop at different paces ... there's a reason players fall to the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th round (and virtually ever other team has passed them over at least once). They don't become legitimate reasons 3 years later that your 1st round pick sucks. Those players are success stories on their own. They don't represent your 1st round pick in any way.

The fact of the matter is people incorrectly assume/pretend a Top 10 pick in the NHL draft is a sure thing ... .this isn't the NFL because these aren't 22 to 25 year old men. They're 18 year old teenagers that aren't even close to a finished product.
Well Cowen has had some success too but the point stands. There really arent many guys taken after Glennie who have made any NHL impact. People were pissed we passed on MSP but look whats happened to him. I think we did pretty well overall in 2009 getting several players who will be NHLers.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:48 PM
BigG44

Bottom line though ... is I honestly agree with you about not being the biggest Glennie fan. I just don't agree with the unrealistic expectations of some fans.

Overall ... Picking 6th to 10th blows. That's the nicest way I can put it. You're a bad team that needs help, but you're still basically buying a $1 scratch off like everyone else behind you. Can't miss players rarely exist out of the Top 2 or 3. They're teenagers after all.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:50 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

It was just so off the board. And it was the first draft I ever really got into, so I guess it's just a letdown to know that the first Stars' pick I ever watched has had less of a career than our 5th round pick that year. There's a lot more than just a bad pick in this to me.

It just makes absolutely no sense.

To be fair, there are quite a few players who don't really come across that way on Twitter. Modano's anything but professional. I honestly didn't know he had one, I'll have to check it out.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:51 PM
BigG44

Yeah it is true that Cowen is a good defensive D already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Well Cowen has had some success too but the point stands. There really arent many guys taken after Glennie who have made any NHL impact. People were pissed we passed on MSP but look whats happened to him. I think we did pretty well overall in 2009 getting several players who will be NHLers.
.. and that's the way, IMO, you have to look at a draft. In 2009, it's definitely shaping up that they may have drafted 4 Top 9 forwards. That's damn impressive. Plus ... they all are somewhat skilled ... it's just a matter of how much that skill translates. That's tough to say about Dallas picks in the past. They're typically the safe pick with no skill.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:53 PM
txomisc

Quote:
That I can get on board with. The pick seemed strange. I bring it up all the time ... but if I could get one straight answer from GMJN ... 100% honesty ... it would be, "Why the hell did you pick Glennie when you never even talked to the kid?"

I don't know why ... but that just blows my mind, especially when you consider how much they scouted and interacted with Alex Chiasson and Reilly Smith.

Plus .. as far as not liking him ... Twitter does that guy no favors. He comes off as immature. Right or wrong, Campbell, Oleksiak, and other prospects on Twitter definitely seem to be much more professional.
Hopefully his answer explained the look on his face when they showed him as they were about to pick him. His twitter account definitely makes him come off as immature and perhaps just not as into hockey as some other guys.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:54 PM
BigG44

Quote:
To be fair, there are quite a few players who don't really come across that way on Twitter. Modano's anything but professional. I honestly didn't know he had one, I'll have to check it out.
Modano has also always pretty much been a tool though so I expect that out of him. Plus, he was one of the best talents this team has ever had.

I don't think Glennie will ever get by on talent alone, and maturity goes a long way to help a guy reach his potential.

However ... again he's just turning 21 years old ... it's wrong to be too harsh about a little immaturity at that age. Still ... it's one of the things that I've noticed about him.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:54 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:

.. and that's the way, IMO, you have to look at a draft. In 2009, it's definitely shaping up that they may have drafted 4 Top 9 forwards. That's damn impressive. Plus ... they all are somewhat skilled ... it's just a matter of how much that skill translates. That's tough to say about Dallas picks in the past. They're typically the safe pick with no skill.
And to think that we only had 5 picks, as well.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:56 PM
txomisc

Quote:
It was just so off the board. And it was the first draft I ever really got into, so I guess it's just a letdown to know that the first Stars' pick I ever watched has had less of a career than our 5th round pick that year. There's a lot more than just a bad pick in this to me.

It just makes absolutely no sense.

I really dont think it was all that off the board. Most people had him in the 10-15 range. Thats really not that much of a reach.

Modanos retired and yes he seems to tweet about hockey more than Glennie does. Glennie always seems to be talking about his buddies or something completely unidentifiable.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:58 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Modano has also always pretty much been a tool though so I expect that out of him. Plus, he was one of the best talents this team has ever had.

I don't think Glennie will ever get by on talent alone, and maturity goes a long way to help a guy reach his potential.

However ... again he's just turning 21 years old ... it's wrong to be too harsh about a little immaturity at that age. Still ... it's one of the things that I've noticed about him.
The immaturity wouldn't be as big of an issue if he weren't such a high profile player. And it doesn't help when Campbell and Oleksiak are pretty much exactly what you want in that situation.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:00 PM
txomisc

Quote:

4 top 9, possibly even 4 top 6 and McKenzie could very well turn into a solid 4th line guy.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:03 PM
BigG44

Quote:
The immaturity wouldn't be as big of an issue if he weren't such a high profile player. And it doesn't help when Campbell and Oleksiak are pretty much exactly what you want in that situation.
Yeah that's true ... personality wise ... I don't know that you could build two better prospects. That's why in the end, I feel like they'll do anything to succeed.

I just don't get that impression from Glennie.

This might be minor ... or stupid to some people ... but I love when Campbell says last year that he's going to try and steal an AHL job. That's a ridiculous goal ... you know there's almost no way they are going to not send him back for a 2nd year in the OHL ... but the kid is passionate and fiercely competitive.

After his one game in the NHL, Glennie says he hopes to get back here again. It seems insignificant ... I get that ... but I think mindset is important.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:04 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
4 top 9, possibly even 4 top 6 and McKenzie could very well turn into a solid 4th line guy.
Yeah .. I was trying to be extra conservative ... but I agree. I think at least 3 could realistically be Top 6 forwards, and all 4 might pull it off.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:06 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Yeah that's true ... personality wise ... I don't know that you could build two better prospects. That's why in the end, I feel like they'll do anything to succeed.

I just don't get that impression from Glennie.

This might be minor ... or stupid to some people ... but I love when Campbell says last year that he's going to try and steal an AHL job. That's a ridiculous goal ... you know there's almost no way they are going to not send him back for a 2nd year in the OHL ... but the kid is passionate and fiercely competitive.

After his one game in the NHL, Glennie says he hopes to get back here again. It seems insignificant ... I get that ... but I think mindset is important.
I get the same impression about Glennie. If they had spent a ton of time with him I suspect they would not have drafted him at 8.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:40 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I don't disagree with the sentiment about Glennie at all, but judging his maturity based on how he uses twitter is a little silly. Glennie seems to use twitter more as a communication tool with fellow buddies (Guptill does the same thing). Campbell/Oleksiak seem to use it in a team-prescribed way, possibly stemming from a directive from their junior teams this year.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:05 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
I don't understand why you'd pay attention to anything players say on twitter.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 10:54 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Well, stuff on twitter IS out there. I wouldn't make a final call on someone based on how they use it but it seemed to confirm Modano's doucheyness so it's not exactly inaccurate in some cases. While I haven't seen Glennie's I wouldn't make too much of it but at the same time I wouldn't throw it out as a character barometer entirely.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:16 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Overall ... Picking 6th to 10th blows. That's the nicest way I can put it. You're a bad team that needs help, but you're still basically buying a $1 scratch off like everyone else behind you.
Not really. Reducing it to a scratch-off is disingenuous. It's a continuum of probability of success. Each pick has a better chance at turning into a good NHLer than the following pick.

The Stars had one of their best chances in franchise history at landing such a player at 8th overall. Ultimately it's not a huge deal if they continue to clean up in the later rounds with their other chances. It just figures to be hard to sustain that method of salvaging drafts. Happily they seem to have halted that trend with Oleksiak.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Dr GLU

Benn's Twitter feed is just as immature as Glennie's, and I don't see anyone holding that against him.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:39 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Not really. Reducing it to a scratch-off is disingenuous. It's a continuum of probability of success. Each pick has a better chance at turning into a good NHLer than the following pick.

The Stars had one of their best chances in franchise history at landing such a player at 8th overall. Ultimately it's not a huge deal if they continue to clean up in the later rounds with their other chances. It just figures to be hard to sustain that method of salvaging drafts. Happily they seem to have halted that trend with Oleksiak.
I concur. I just don't see the point of mucking up on your 1st round picks year after year and hope to salvage from a few late-round gems. Glennie and Campbell, as of now, are poor round 1 draft picks for the Stars, IMO.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote