HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov general discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Nail Yakupov general discussion thread

Continue here.

Last few posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I'm pretty sure i saw the "championship belt" celebration in there. Gotta pick him for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
I get a good laugh out of it. I remember posts last year how the Oilers tanked at the wrong time and was missing out on the real prize Yakupov.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Dinkum View Post
Making things up? Go back to Dan Tencer's Inside Sports Podcasts- there is an interview with Larionov in which he claims that Edmonton has yet to contact him after they won the lottery.

Bob Stauffer went into damage control mode when the Oilers PR machine informed him that they had spoken to Yakupov's other agent.

Again, the optics of this are not very good. I hear repeatedly that Tambo and Lowe have a good repertoire with Larionov, but in that interview with Tencer he did not sound overly impressed.

You don't think his primary client Yakupov would pick up on that?

So....I hold my party line. Chapter 2 "How to Woo your first overall selection"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
And the first chapter of your books is Chapter 1 "Making a mountain out of nothing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Well Yakupov did put up RNH like numbers a year earlier in his junior career than did RNH, mind u hes only slightly younger than hopkins..still I will go on record saying rnh will score more points in his career than the previous five number one picks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
I wonder how other scouts compare him to last year's draft picks? Blue Bullet said he might not even have him in his top 5 in 2011.. hopefully he's the only one.

It would be nice if he turns out as good as Hall and Eberle.
Quote:
Further that point:

Can someone please explain this idea that you have to de-value the consensus first overall pick? Edmonton has repeatedly done this over the past three years. They are doing it again this year with Tambo's presser and his discussion of Yakupov.

I understand that they are trying to drum up interest in the NHL with trade propositions, but I can't help but think they are damaging relations with their first overall pick.

In some ways, I appreciate the NFL draft model to the first overall pick. Andrew Luck? Yes, the Colts organization want him and our thrilled at the prospect of selecting him.

Would it not be refreshing to hear Tambo step forward and make a statement like that?
Quote:
I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't crack the top 5 in 2011. Yakupov broke Stamkos' scoring record in his junior year. He then loses his centre in Galchenyuk and still maintains the same scoring rate.

Put him on a line with RNH and watch him win the Calder. He is a better finisher than Hall and has a better one-timer than Eberle. Ebs has shown pure golden touch when he settles the puck, but look at Yakupov's one timer goals. The Russian may be a better finisher for the Nuge.

04-30-2012, 08:25 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Am I the only on amused by some of the trade offers being made

From the outside looking in I can only deduce two things

1) Yakupov is franchise player
2) He is a bum who will be a 3rd liner at best

Old
04-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
I can't wait for the draft and for this kid to be an Oiler.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Continue here.

Last few posts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Dinkum Making things up? Go back to Dan Tencer's Inside Sports Podcasts- there is an interview with Larionov in which he claims that Edmonton has yet to contact him after they won the lottery.

Bob Stauffer went into damage control mode when the Oilers PR machine informed him that they had spoken to Yakupov's other agent.

Again, the optics of this are not very good. I hear repeatedly that Tambo and Lowe have a good repertoire with Larionov, but in that interview with Tencer he did not sound overly impressed.

You don't think his primary client Yakupov would pick up on that?

So....I hold my party line. Chapter 2 "How to Woo your first overall selection"
You do realize that Tencer was proven to be putting the horse before the carriage here right? If he had spoken to Tambo and actually inquired, then he would have known that Tambo was meeting Yaks other agent in Czechoslovakia while there for the U18 tournament.

So yeah...it does appear that you haven't been keeping up with the reality of the situation and are making a mountain out of a molehill. Is that you Tencer???

What you seem to think is "damage control" is actually the entirety of the facts being presented, and not just half facts designed to get hits on a blog.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:43 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post

That's the feeling I get as well.

I just hope Yakupov gels with the other kids.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Qrispy

Quote:

lol As soon as the Oilers got the chance to draft him, he became some average prospect who will be surpassed by Murray and Galchenyuk.

Old
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

I truly believe, that Oil fans are the only ones who see Yakupov, the way he should be seen. A franchise player.

I'm sick of Habs, Leafs, and canucks fans. Ironically Flames fans have been pretty good about the whole thing, same goes for ottawa.

Jealousy at it's finest boys, drink it in

Old
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

I get that questions are raised with him being Russian, but what I never hear is that:

At age 16, he picked up, left home without speaking much English and chose to play in Canada. Not only does this show some serious desire to get to the NHL, if anyone has lived alone in a place where they don't speak the language, they will know this takes some serious stones to do this, particularly as a teenager. At 16 to choose to come to do this shows more character than playing tough or playing hurt IMO.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Nail and Nuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
I get that questions are raised with him being Russian, but what I never hear is that:

At age 16, he picked up, left home without speaking much English and chose to play in Canada. Not only does this show some serious desire to get to the NHL, if anyone has lived alone in a place where they don't speak the language, they will know this takes some serious stones to do this, particularly as a teenager. At 16 to choose to come to do this shows more character than playing tough or playing hurt IMO.
This. I fully agree and well said.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Is this draft thread part IX?

Old
04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Hockey Nightmare

So today, Gregor was saying that Yakupov isn't even worth the price of signing Jordan Staal. Edmonton would have to throw in something else.

I don't think so.

Staal is a great player, but for a 1st line centre, he'd be pretty weak.

And I don't think a 2nd line centre - even a great one - is worth a first overall like Yakupov.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:

It's ****ing stupid. Last October, the hype behind this kid was incredible, by hockey fans and media alike. People were saying he was going to big a mini Ovechkin, that he was the best projected first overall pick since Crosby.

Now, nothing.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Nail and Nuge

It is very frustrating to see him being de-valued by media and other teams' followers. I will say this however, it doesn't help things when your own GM starts making comments about Nail in his closing presser.

Again, what is the harm in Tambo building up Nail Yakupov. It plays out one of two ways, both of which benefit the Oilers:

1) Makes the Yakupov camp know that the Oilers are stoked at the possibility of adding him to their Youth movement.

2) Builds his stock in the NHL community so that if other teams approach we get full value.

It seems we are taking the other approach of minimizing interest to garner inquiries from other GMs. I hate it.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Personally, I don't think Tambo has great communication skills.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:29 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Personally, I don't think Tambo has great communication skills.
I actually had a thread on the topic two years ago. It sounds like it has gotten better, but there seems to be something missing still

Old
04-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Nail and Nuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
So today, Gregor was saying that Yakupov isn't even worth the price of signing Jordan Staal. Edmonton would have to throw in something else.

I don't think so.

Staal is a great player, but for a 1st line centre, he'd be pretty weak.

And I don't think a 2nd line centre - even a great one - is worth a first overall like Yakupov.
Is there another player in the league that is more over-valued than Jordan Staal? I would like to see him.
Interesting basic stats:

- Final year of Junior in the OHL: 68 points in 68 games
- Never scored over 50 points in the NHL- now 6 years in
- Best point/game average: 0.81 this year with Crosby gone for the majority of the season.

I don't get it. He is big and a centre. We get that much but he has never shown himself to have a scoring touch which I would want if I am giving up a Number One pick.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

I would flip out if we traded Yakupov for Staal.

Staal is a good player and would be a great fit here, but Yakupov can/should be a star.

Don't try and be a hero Tambelleni. Make the easy pick and it will pay dividends when we are lighting teams up on a regular basis.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

If the oilers trade the first overall it will be for more then Staal. It may just be me--but trading the first overall pick for a player on the last year of a contract is begging to get ripped up the backside for free.

I don't see the oilers getting more then Staal

Old
04-30-2012, 10:17 PM
nightfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge View Post
It is very frustrating to see him being de-valued by media and other teams' followers. I will say this however, it doesn't help things when your own GM starts making comments about Nail in his closing presser.

Again, what is the harm in Tambo building up Nail Yakupov. It plays out one of two ways, both of which benefit the Oilers:

1) Makes the Yakupov camp know that the Oilers are stoked at the possibility of adding him to their Youth movement.

2) Builds his stock in the NHL community so that if other teams approach we get full value.

It seems we are taking the other approach of minimizing interest to garner inquiries from other GMs. I hate it.
I'm late to the game here but what did Tambo say?

Old
04-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Soundwave

The Oilers would deserve to sit and watch Yakupov become a 50 goal scorer in Pittsburgh, win multiple Cups there, and watch Pittsburgh go on to become the most talented dynasty the NHL has seen since the 80s Oilers if they did that.

Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Yakupov, Letang ... forget it. Crosby + Yakupov in particular would be lights out.

Staal freaking struggles to score 50 points, let alone 50 goals.

If the Oilers made such a deal, honestly, it would be worse than Pronger being dealt for Lupul, the only lower moment as a franchise I could envision would be when we traded Gretzky. Unless the team wins a Cup in the immediate 2-3 years, I would never forgive management for doing that.

Gregor needs to wake up. LOL, Pittsburgh would say yes before Lowe/Tamby/whoever the dummy in charge is had a chance to even say the full deal. Not to mention Pittsburgh would be gifted Yakupov at a cap saving $3.5-ish million salary for 3 full years.

Last edited by Soundwave: 04-30-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old
04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Nail and Nuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The Oilers would deserve to sit and watch Yakupov become a 50 goal scorer in Pittsburgh, win multiple Cups there, and watch Pittsburgh go on to become the most talented dynasty the NHL has seen since the 80s Oilers if they did that.

Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Yakupov, Letang ... forget it. Crosby + Yakupov in particular would be lights out.

Staal freaking struggles to score 50 points, let alone 50 goals.

If the Oilers made such a deal, honestly, it would be worse than Pronger being dealt for Lupul, the only lower moment as a franchise I could envision would be when we traded Gretzky. Unless the team wins a Cup in the immediate 2-3 years, I would never forgive management for doing that.

Gregor needs to wake up. LOL, Pittsburgh would say yes before Lowe/Tamby/whoever the dummy in charge is had a chance to even say the full deal. Not to mention Pittsburgh would be gifted Yakupov at a cap saving $3.5-ish million salary for 3 full years.
This. Absolutely right.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:47 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

the only way I would trade Yakupov is if the oilers got a grand slam in return

something like
Number 5, Schenn and Kadri--I know I will get flammed by some

At 5 we take Murrey

That trade addresses the biggest issues the oilers have. Overhauls the D and gives us another top FW

Old
04-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
the only way I would trade Yakupov is if the oilers got a grand slam in return

something like
Number 5, Schenn and Kadri--I know I will get flammed by some

At 5 we take Murrey

That trade addresses the biggest issues the oilers have. Overhauls the D and gives us another top FW
Again I don't think this is that great of a deal. Kadri is just another Gagner if that.

Resulting roster may have "balance", but it also has very little scoring depth. One line offense/one trick pony of a team. You better pray Ryan Murray is Neidermayer good, not Ryan Whitney/Victor Hedman good, because honestly you can acquire that type of d-man off the trade market anytime.

Yakupov quite frankly could be better than Hall or Eberle.

If the Oilers did not win this deal resoundingly, prepare also to have Leafs fans gloat in your face about it for the next 10 years, lol. They still freaking bring up Doug Gilmour to Flames fans.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:55 PM
DousedInOil

A few more 1st overall picks and we should be challenging for a playoff spot.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Kadri has proven absolutely nothing at the NHL level.

The only reason Schenn gets the press he does is because he's in Toronto.

Closed Thread