HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread Part IX: Draft day moves, and beyond

View Poll Results: If EDM drafts Yakapov should EDM trade or keep Hemsky?
Trade Hemsky 59 23.89%
Keep Hemsky 188 76.11%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-30-2012, 02:23 PM
  #101
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,666
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
in 2006, PIT should have drafted Wishart, Okposo or Frolik instead of Staal because they already had Crosby and Malkin as centers.
The difference is that Murray is the second ranked skater after Yakupov. Frolik, Okposo and Wishart didn't even have a chance to go in the top six. After Johnson, the next 5 top players were all centres. Pittsburgh had to take one.

I still think we should draft Yakupov though.

OilerTyler is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 02:27 PM
  #102
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec
 
nofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,898
vCash: 500
I remember this season. Where "Oilers hockey" was cheering for Hall-Nuge-Ebs and watching the other team pile-drive over the next three lines we sent out.

We won the first few games because of Khabi's outstanding play and because we had depth scoring.

At least one of those two things can be helped by drafting Yakupov and keeping Hemsky. Don't trade away depth, especially for unproven worth.

nofool6110 is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 03:41 PM
  #103
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,908
vCash: 50
Depends. If there is a deal out there that makes sense for us then I'd think about moving Hemsky. By no means does drafting a winger mean we have to move Hemsky ASAP. Let's see how things go and if Yakupov becomes the real deal and we truly have too many rw's then move Hemmer.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 04:00 PM
  #104
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,690
vCash: 500
They shouldn't trade Hemsky unless he is producing well and we can get good value for him. We see each year that we are missing 1 or more of our top end guys due to injury.

What I would do however is tell Hemsky that he is playing left wing the day he arrives in camp. This is one of the 'tells' of the organization if they make Eberle or Yakupov change wings then they will be catering to the vets who have let the team down recently.

Kids take 100% priority in my mind from now on.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 04:12 PM
  #105
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
The difference is that Murray is the second ranked skater after Yakupov. Frolik, Okposo and Wishart didn't even have a chance to go in the top six. After Johnson, the next 5 top players were all centres. Pittsburgh had to take one.

I still think we should draft Yakupov though.
Murray is hardly the consensus #2 behind Yakupov. I actually doubt he goes in top5.

Also, Kessel was a projected top5 pick in 2006 with many believing him to go #2 to PIT.
Tlusty was ranked near the top as well

Petro Points is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 04:15 PM
  #106
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
They shouldn't trade Hemsky unless he is producing well and we can get good value for him. We see each year that we are missing 1 or more of our top end guys due to injury.

What I would do however is tell Hemsky that he is playing left wing the day he arrives in camp. This is one of the 'tells' of the organization if they make Eberle or Yakupov change wings then they will be catering to the vets who have let the team down recently.

Kids take 100% priority in my mind from now on.
There should be no need to switch sides. It is ok to have more then 2 'scoring' lines.
We will just call Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky our top line instead of 3rd

Petro Points is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 04:59 PM
  #107
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,666
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Murray is hardly the consensus #2 behind Yakupov. I actually doubt he goes in top5.

Also, Kessel was a projected top5 pick in 2006 with many believing him to go #2 to PIT.
Tlusty was ranked near the top as well
Kessel was a centre until the Bruins converted him to a right winger.

You really doubt that Murray will be drafted in the top 5? I could see Columbus taking him at 2 and there is no way he gets by the Islanders at 4. If he does fall it is because he is a defenceman, not because he isn't one of the top 2 most talented draftees.

OilerTyler is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 05:07 PM
  #108
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,608
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Kessel was a centre until the Bruins converted him to a right winger.

You really doubt that Murray will be drafted in the top 5? I could see Columbus taking him at 2 and there is no way he gets by the Islanders at 4. If he does fall it is because he is a defenceman, not because he isn't one of the top 2 most talented draftees.
I can easily see him falling out of the top 5. After Yakupov, there's like 6 guys that could be picked in any order

The Nuge is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 09:52 PM
  #109
Nail and Nuge
Registered User
 
Nail and Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I can easily see him falling out of the top 5. After Yakupov, there's like 6 guys that could be picked in any order
I can see where you are coming from- but the only person with any credibility that has Murray outside the top 5 is Craig Button. He is rather unorthodox with his ranking, but still worth reading.

With Murray being selected for team Canada and not playing a game outside of Junior, I have a very very hard time believing his makes it outside of the top 3 let alone top 5.

Columbus has been burned too many times by the KHL- a solid, multi skilled defenseman in Murray is far too tempting. Murray goes to Columbus at number 2- book it.

Nail and Nuge is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 09:54 PM
  #110
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,081
vCash: 500
People act like Hemsky is disposable, like we've got massive scoring depth even without him.

We don't.

Until we get a decent NHL defense and goalie tandem, we're going to need all the talent up front that we can get.

Hockey Nightmare is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 09:57 PM
  #111
Nail and Nuge
Registered User
 
Nail and Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Further our point, from the Edm. Journal today:

"I don’t think the Oilers would go wrong taking him as well as Everett Silvertips captain Ryan Murray, who is over in Europe right now playing exhibition games for Team Canada. Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe is watching him. I had one NHL scout tell me last week that Murray flat-out can play in the NHL next season and he’s not lasting past the top five picks. "

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...640/story.html

Nail and Nuge is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 10:00 PM
  #112
Nail and Nuge
Registered User
 
Nail and Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
People act like Hemsky is disposable, like we've got massive scoring depth even without him.

We don't.

Until we get a decent NHL defense and goalie tandem, we're going to need all the talent up front that we can get.
Fair, but look what happened to Magnus P. this year. We brought in Smyth to give us depth and Magnus bombed out. Coincidence? Perhaps. Sophomore Slumps happen all the time. It certainly didn't help that the second line LW position had an incumbent at the start of the season.

I can see the same happening this year with Nail. He comes into camp and plays well enough for a 9 game look. He has a few tough games, and Hemsky assumes the second line RW with Nail playing 3rd line minutes. Confidence issues...blah blah...back to Junior....

Give the guy a run like we availed to RNH, Hall and Eberle.

Nail and Nuge is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 10:03 PM
  #113
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,081
vCash: 500
I'll add to my statement to say that if they could get a top flight defenseman for Hemsky, then I see no reason not to trade him. But I doubt that'd ever happen.

Hockey Nightmare is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 10:10 PM
  #114
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,139
vCash: 500
I think you quietly listen to offers for him, but if nothing great comes up, you just keep him and play him with Yakupov.

Perhaps his point totals come back and then his trade value will be considerably higher in a few months. Honestly guys this ...

Hall RNH Eberle
Hemsky Gagner Yakupov

Isn't the end of the world if we have to ride it out and then make changes at the deadline. It gives Hemsky + Gagner a chance to increase their trade value and probably produces at least a few entertaining games.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
  #115
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Kessel was a centre until the Bruins converted him to a right winger.

You really doubt that Murray will be drafted in the top 5? I could see Columbus taking him at 2 and there is no way he gets by the Islanders at 4. If he does fall it is because he is a defenceman, not because he isn't one of the top 2 most talented draftees.
Murray may not be the first Dman taken.. Murray maybe more NHL ready but Dumba and even Reilly can both get selected ahead of him. Lets see how he performs at worlds and then at combine.

Petro Points is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 10:32 PM
  #116
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
in 2006, PIT should have drafted Wishart, Okposo or Frolik instead of Staal because they already had Crosby and Malkin as centers.

Or they should have traded Malkin for a Dman since they were getting one of Staal or Toews or Backstrom.

PHI should have traded Giroux when they acquired Schenn and drafted Couturier.

Unless Yakupov is expected to score 90-100 points in NHL next season we should keep Hemsky.
It is a good point but the big thing here is when STaal was drafted they were expecting him to start on the 3rd line. If you are expecting to start yak on the 3rd line that is fine. Comparing Yak's talent to these player when ddrafted is not even close. yes Giroux now is one of the top fwds but when drafted his talent level was not suppose to be like Yak's.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 10:35 PM
  #117
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,139
vCash: 500
Actually Pittsburgh should've drafted Toews in the 2006 draft.

The main reason Jordan Staal got picked at 2 was because of his last name IMO.

Who cares if they all played center Crosby/Malkin/Toews ... imagine that had happened. It wouldn't even be fair to the rest of the league.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 10:36 PM
  #118
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Murray is hardly the consensus #2 behind Yakupov. I actually doubt he goes in top5.

Also, Kessel was a projected top5 pick in 2006 with many believing him to go #2 to PIT.
Tlusty was ranked near the top as well
Kessel do pan out; Tlusty never did; that is why when you have a chance to draft the 1st over all you draft him and then go from there.

Can someone tell me on 1 July does Hemsky's contract have a NMC or NTC.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
  #119
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think you quietly listen to offers for him, but if nothing great comes up, you just keep him and play him with Yakupov.

Perhaps his point totals come back and then his trade value will be considerably higher in a few months. Honestly guys this ...

Hall RNH Eberle
Hemsky Gagner Yakupov

Isn't the end of the world if we have to ride it out and then make changes at the deadline. It gives Hemsky + Gagner a chance to increase their trade value and probably produces at least a few entertaining games.
I am fine with that, it is just whether Hemsky or Yak can produce on their wrong wing.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 10:42 PM
  #120
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge View Post
Fair, but look what happened to Magnus P. this year. We brought in Smyth to give us depth and Magnus bombed out. Coincidence? Perhaps. Sophomore Slumps happen all the time. It certainly didn't help that the second line LW position had an incumbent at the start of the season.

I can see the same happening this year with Nail. He comes into camp and plays well enough for a 9 game look. He has a few tough games, and Hemsky assumes the second line RW with Nail playing 3rd line minutes. Confidence issues...blah blah...back to Junior....

Give the guy a run like we availed to RNH, Hall and Eberle.
I agree you have to give him a legit chance to prove himself. We gave it to Hall and RNH they have to do it for Yak.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 10:44 PM
  #121
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
It is a good point but the big thing here is when STaal was drafted they were expecting him to start on the 3rd line. If you are expecting to start yak on the 3rd line that is fine. Comparing Yak's talent to these player when ddrafted is not even close. yes Giroux now is one of the top fwds but when drafted his talent level was not suppose to be like Yak's.
Why cant Yakupov start on the 3rd line?
PHI pick Couturier while they already knew Giroux would be #1C for them and Schenn in the fold for future. Couturier scored 6 less points then Yakupov in a lot less games as a 16yo. and had 96pts in 58GP (1.66ppg) his draft yr.

Hemsky is signed for only 2 more seasons.. Yakupov will not be stuck behind him and Ebs forever. Staal and Couturier (assuming they sign long term deals) wont have that assurance.

All good teams have scoring threats on 3rd and 4th lines. EDM with injury history and no secondary scoring is the last team that should worry about having too many offensive players.

Petro Points is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 10:46 PM
  #122
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Why cant Yakupov start on the 3rd line?
PHI pick Couturier while they already knew Giroux would be #1C for them and Schenn in the fold for future. Couturier scored 6 less points then Yakupov in a lot less games as a 16yo. and had 96pts in 58GP (1.66ppg) his draft yr.

Hemsky is signed for only 2 more seasons.. Yakupov will not be stuck behind him and Ebs forever. Staal and Couturier (assuming they sign long term deals) wont have that assurance.

All good teams have scoring threats on 3rd and 4th lines.
Yakupov is already better than every forward we have not named Eberle/RNH/Hall and honestly even that might quickly be up for debate. He could've played and produced a fairly reasonable clip in the NHL last season IMO.

No offence to Couturier but he was always way bigger than everyone else in junior. He has no where near the speed or shot that Yakupov has.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 10:53 PM
  #123
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,716
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
People act like Hemsky is disposable, like we've got massive scoring depth even without him.

We don't.

Until we get a decent NHL defense and goalie tandem, we're going to need all the talent up front that we can get.
Fully agreed. We need all the scoring we can get. Our defense/goaltending isn't at the level where we can get by with the offense of other teams.

5RingsAndABeer is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 11:31 PM
  #124
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down
 
oilers2k10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
People act like Hemsky is disposable, like we've got massive scoring depth even without him.

We don't.

Until we get a decent NHL defense and goalie tandem, we're going to need all the talent up front that we can get.
This is what gets my peed off, all these "so-called" media experts talk about oilers offence like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread..truth is this team had one scoring line this past season..

Draft yakupov..keep hemmer

oilers2k10 is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 12:54 AM
  #125
oilerbear
Registered User
 
oilerbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
You have far too much info there. Most people want

Step 1. Get rid of Renney, Tambo, Hemsky, Gagner, Whitney, Belanger, Eager, Smyth.

Step 2. ????

Step 3. Profit
Guess who was the 7th best Pk center and made our Pk go from 29th to 14th.

its obvious you do not know!
Belanger and jones were both top 7 for Pk for there positions center and wing.

So there is a start to our fourth line.

Trade hemsky? and move gagner?

xxx-RNH-Eberle
Hall-XXX-yakupov/rieder
XXX-Gagner-Hemsky PPG players together.
Belanger-XXX-Jones

oilerbear is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.