HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2012, 01:16 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggietheSavage15 View Post
Armstrong isn't even legit.

Hankerson (if healthy) will HOPEFULLY be our big RZ thread and be groomed to takeover the #1 spot in due time. In the meanwhile, you're discounting Pierre Garcon. I think he's going to have a HUGE year, assuming both he and RGIII can stay healthy.

I might be in the minority, but I don't think WR was a position of need. TE on the otherhand, yes. I wish we had made some sort of move for a TE in the draft. Cooley is washed and Davis is a headcase.
AAA will probably not even make the team this year, and Hankerson is a huge questions mark because he is currently recovering from a hip dislocation and damaged labrum. Still, WR was not a need. Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Austin, and Paul is a fine group of young WR's with a bit of vet spice mixed in.

TE was thought to be a draft target, but I don't see why. Paul is talked about making the switch to TE. Add in Sleepy and Paulsen and the TE position is more than adequate. Cooley will be cut/traded unless he shows this offseason that his recent injury history is a thing of the past.

The main focus of the recently completed draft was QB, O-line, DB's, and ILB. For better or worse, all were addressed.

Still needed is OT help behind Williams and Brown. Shanahan recenlty talked up Tyler Polumbus, Willie Smith, and James Lee, but I can see a vet OT added after the june 1st cuts.

Still, IMO, the position in most need of upgrading is Safety. I am not really sure who the starting safety's are at this point. Drew Doughty and DeJon Gomes? Merriweather was added in FA, but he is possibly looking at a suspension based on a recent suspision of DUI arrest. There is also talk of Cedric Griffin being moved to FS to take some pressure off his 2 surgically repaired knees. Atogwe could also be brought back. Regardless, FS and SS are huge question marks.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:21 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

I will say I am really perplexed why people in the media, both local and national, are making a big deal about Cousins being picked in the 4th. He is a 4th ****ing round pick. Griffin would have to turn out to be as dumb as Heath Shuler for Cousins to be any kind of factor in Griffin's playing time. And there are no indications that Griffin is as dumb as Shuler.

Griffin may indeed turn into a huge bust, but Cousins will not be a factor if that is indeed the case.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:33 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
I think the two QB draft think is just media talking head fodder. Really don't have a problem with it. QBs get hurt..fact of life.

04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I think the two QB draft think is just media talking head fodder. Really don't have a problem with it. QBs get hurt..fact of life.
As much as I want to blast the team for this kinda pick...I just can't...for the same reasons.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:40 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

And yet Shuler is/was in the Congress :

I love the US.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
And those who play the style Griffin play get hurt more often than most.

Old
04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
ReggietheSavage15

I don't know why these morons in the media are questioning the team drafting Cousins. You don't draft a QB in round 4 with the hopes he's going to start or even COMPETE for the starting gig. Things don't work like that in the NFL. Cousins was drafted with the hopes that he'll eventually be a capable #2 and take the reigns from Grossman. I think we all hope and pray that 1) RGIII turns out to be as good as advertised and 2) RGIII can stay healthy. If he gets injured, we need a quality backup who knows the offense and can step in to help guide the team in place of the starter. This reason alone is why Grossman is still here in DC. When Cousins is comfortable with the system that Kyle Shanahan is running, we'll cut ties w. Grossman. Simple as that. This was a GOOD (and necessary) pick.

Old
04-30-2012, 03:07 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I don't know why these morons in the media are questioning the team drafting Cousins. You don't draft a QB in round 4 with the hopes he's going to start or even COMPETE for the starting gig. Things don't work like that in the NFL. Cousins was drafted with the hopes that he'll eventually be a capable #2 and take the reigns from Grossman. I think we all hope and pray that 1) RGIII turns out to be as good as advertised and 2) RGIII can stay healthy. If he gets injured, we need a quality backup who knows the offense and can step in to help guide the team in place of the starter. This reason alone is why Grossman is still here in DC. When Cousins is comfortable with the system that Kyle Shanahan is running, we'll cut ties w. Grossman. Simple as that. This was a GOOD (and necessary) pick.
Sigh. It was anything but a GOOD pick.

There's a reason no team has drafted 2 QBs in the first 4 rounds in over 20 years. It's terrible asset management. The ideal backup for a rookie QB to have isn't another rookie--it's an NFL veteran. There are solid vet backup QBs available every single year in free agency. Orton, Garrard, among others were available this year.

And you can get players in the 4th round that can actually make an impact on the field. There are typically 5-10 Pro Bowlers drafted in the 4th round or later any given year. They had the potential home run sitting there (Bobby Massie), and decided instead to go with a player who they hope never sees the field. Wasted pick.

Old
04-30-2012, 04:15 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Local media, national media, and fans (including some on this site) were up in arms and beside themselves that the Skins did nothing to enhance the QB position during last years offseason. Going into last season with Grossman and Beck was mere folly.

Now the Skins have seriously addressed the QB position and those same folks are up in arms and beside themselves that the Skins used draft picks to address the QB position.

Can't have it both ways folks.

Old
04-30-2012, 05:26 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

The 6pm Sportscenter just devoted an entire segment (PTI no less) to the folly that is the Cousins in round 4 pick. Good old Mike "Race Bater" Wilbon went on about Cousins undermining Griffin.

Cousins is a 4th round pick. Not a late 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd. A 4th round pick. To think that Cousins will have any shot to unseat Griffin is just stupid. Cousins is the back-up. Thats it. End of story.

Old
04-30-2012, 05:45 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I am not impressed with Shanny's handling of QB's thus far.

Canned Jason, that's fine I suppose.

Inked McNabb while reinventing the D, sat McNabb in a 2 minute drill, inked him to a big contract, and then benched him. It was quite mind boggling.

Stakes his reputation on Grossman and Beck last year Enough said.

That's 3 strikes so far.

So he does the stud move, and gets Griffin. Finally, and everyone is happy.

But then uses a low 4th, a spot where they are starters to be had, on a guy we all hope never see's the field. After using many precious top picks to finally get a 1, I don't think we have the luxury now to spend our remaining top picks on backups, insurance plans, nor 3rd stringers what he will be. We are cap strapped, we can't just bring in FA's for 2 years.

Maybe that safety from MD can help our thin secondary.

Old
04-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Capitlols

I didn't agree with the Cousins pick, but the logic by the mainstream is ridiculous.

"Why didn't they draft a playmaker for RGIII?" There is no definitive way to say a playmaker at the college level would translate to the pros, especially a 4th round talent. "Plenty of 4th rounders pan out" that by Tedy Bruschi was just absurd. They could of gone oline, but honestly I love the late round additions they added, especially Compton.

I had Cousins as my #3 QB, easily over the QB's taken beforehand(Weeden, Osweiler, Wilson, "check down" Foles). I also thought Cousins would be Shanny's preferred choice this year if they didn't trade up for RGIII.

Didn't agree with it, but move on. Having two competent QB's isn't a bad thing.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Local media, national media, and fans (including some on this site) were up in arms and beside themselves that the Skins did nothing to enhance the QB position during last years offseason. Going into last season with Grossman and Beck was mere folly.

Now the Skins have seriously addressed the QB position and those same folks are up in arms and beside themselves that the Skins used draft picks to address the QB position.

Can't have it both ways folks.
Didn't they already enhance it with RGIII? Isn't that all we've been bombarded with for months now? RGIII RGII RGIII....he's going to come here and know the playbook in and out....he's Shanahan's kind of QB...yada yada he's going to come in here and do cartwheels and turn the franchise around on his own? He's a great kid, he's smart, etc....he's the new face of the team, etc.

So why in the hell waste a pick on a second rookie QB when there are other holes that urgently needed filling? Get rid of Beck fine but keep Grossman as a backup...then sign someone else off the scrap heap if you want depth at third string. They traded a ton to get RGIII, the Heisman winner, if that's not enhancing the position I don't know what is.

The fact that it's being talked about, the fact noone else has done it in 20 years, shows it's unusual. Division rivals drafted for needs, not for a luxury, or as some are saying to protect anyone's ego. If they truly did this as Koken said he suspected on the radio today, only as some "protection" against RGIII getting "too big" for the franchise, well then they're morons. They have known for months who RGIII is and how huge he'd be here. Pretty much everyone here, every analyst in print or radio had a long list of needs for the Redskins and nowhere did anyone think a second QB would come, esp. so relatively early.

It's a head-scratcher, that's why it's being discussed. For once the Shanahans had a slam dunk at the QB position and well, they still found a way to make things confusing.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:14 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Didn't they already enhance it with RGIII? Isn't that all we've been bombarded with for months now? RGIII RGII RGIII....he's going to come here and know the playbook in and out....he's Shanahan's kind of QB...yada yada he's going to come in here and do cartwheels and turn the franchise around on his own? He's a great kid, he's smart, etc....he's the new face of the team, etc.

So why in the hell waste a pick on a second rookie QB when there are other holes that urgently needed filling? Get rid of Beck fine but keep Grossman as a backup...then sign someone else off the scrap heap if you want depth at third string. They traded a ton to get RGIII, the Heisman winner, if that's not enhancing the position I don't know what is.

The fact that it's being talked about, the fact noone else has done it in 20 years, shows it's unusual. Division rivals drafted for needs, not for a luxury, or as some are saying to protect anyone's ego. If they truly did this as Koken said he suspected on the radio today, only as some "protection" against RGIII getting "too big" for the franchise, well then they're morons. They have known for months who RGIII is and how huge he'd be here. Pretty much everyone here, every analyst in print or radio had a long list of needs for the Redskins and nowhere did anyone think a second QB would come, esp. so relatively early.

It's a head-scratcher, that's why it's being discussed. For once the Shanahans had a slam dunk at the QB position and well, they still found a way to make things confusing.
Tim Hasselback likes the pick. Thinks Cousins is a 2nd round talent and he was a steal in the 4th. Asked Teddy Brushi if Cousins was an upgrade over Sexy Rexy. Brushi said yes. Good enough for me.

I just don't think its that big of a deal.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
A 4th rounder?

People are really moaning about a 4th rounder? That's probably the single dumbest thing I've seen in local media/fandom in years.

A 4th is basically nothing.

Sorry, I am happier with Cousins holding a clipboard than Jon Beck or some Hawaii or DII castoff. Give him a season or two, and who knows, he might be worth something. There's a ton of value in QBs that get a few starts and get a look. Flynn, Schaub and others show how it can work if played right.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:11 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:
Armstrong isn't even legit.

Hankerson (if healthy) will HOPEFULLY be our big RZ thread and be groomed to takeover the #1 spot in due time. In the meanwhile, you're discounting Pierre Garcon. I think he's going to have a HUGE year, assuming both he and RGIII can stay healthy.

I might be in the minority, but I don't think WR was a position of need. TE on the otherhand, yes. I wish we had made some sort of move for a TE in the draft. Cooley is washed and Davis is a headcase.
Ah completely forgot about Garcon, he wasn't listed on the skins roster

Old
04-30-2012, 10:14 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
A 4th rounder?

People are really moaning about a 4th rounder? That's probably the single dumbest thing I've seen in local media/fandom in years.

Sorry, I am happier with Cousins holding a clipboard than Jon Beck or some Hawaii or DII castoff. Give him a season or two, and who knows, he might be worth something. There's a ton of value in QBs that get a few starts and get a look. Flynn, Schaub and others show how it can work if played right.
You are bringing logic to the discussion. Please stop.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
The other thing I think many people are missing is the fact that the Redskins desires in the line aren't players who jump off the boards. They don't want the mammoth cavemen. They want guys who can move and who know the zone blocking scheme. The best tackle they could find right now is going to be a healthy Brown. Sure, they might bring in a few when cuts roll around. But until then, they're sticking pat.

A WR wouldn't fit in the setup. They're pretty much done on the secondary.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:21 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Not trying to troll guys just trying to pick the minds of skins fans...

it seems to me that the skins still need a #1 guy who will come up big in clutch situations and can take control of a game. Garcon is a great complimentary/#2 guy but the rest of that corps seem to be mediocre.

If RGIII performs like he is touted to + the addition of a top tier playmaker either at RB or WR + Garcon, the Skins offense can be dangerous. Just don't go pay that playmaker 100 mil lol

Old
04-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
A 4th rounder?

Now a 4th is nothing, I see. For months people here defending the franchise have been saying the pile of picks they had (most were later rounds) were great building blocks to show the team is now doing things right. Now that they've blown one and are getting the runaround by fans and media, suddenly it's a worthless pick.

My issue is that they basically spent what three picks...four? to get two QBs...when they have holes to fill that they didn't. And I agree with Koken that it still shows the team makes decisions for non football reasons. They could have found a third stringer anywhere, why waste their third pick on another QB....

I'm sure it will all work out. Mike's track record with QBs here is evidence enough.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:36 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Oh and for those who might need some background on your new MLB Goff...

He's a great run stuffer, sure tackler, and clogs up a lot of running holes. However, he is slow in the pass game and frequently blows his coverage and loses his man. And he is coming off a torn ACL injury. Solid player

Old
04-30-2012, 10:54 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Graham Gano‏@GrahamGano

Whenever a bird craps on my car, I eat a plate of scrambled eggs on my front porch just to let them know what I am capable of. #watchout

Old
04-30-2012, 10:58 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlueSince92 View Post
Not trying to troll guys just trying to pick the minds of skins fans...

it seems to me that the skins still need a #1 guy who will come up big in clutch situations and can take control of a game. Garcon is a great complimentary/#2 guy but the rest of that corps seem to be mediocre.

If RGIII performs like he is touted to + the addition of a top tier playmaker either at RB or WR + Garcon, the Skins offense can be dangerous. Just don't go pay that playmaker 100 mil lol
Garcon is being payed like a #1. Hopefully he can handle that spot. We will have to see. As for Griffin, well I fully expect Shanahan to make the running game the focus of the offense this coming season. It will take pressure off Griffin somewhat, and allow Shanahan to use Griffin's athletic abilities on play action/bootleg plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlueSince92 View Post
Oh and for those who might need some background on your new MLB Goff...

He's a great run stuffer, sure tackler, and clogs up a lot of running holes. However, he is slow in the pass game and frequently blows his coverage and loses his man. And he is coming off a torn ACL injury. Solid player
Sounds like another Rocky McIntosh. The difference with Goff is he will be used as depth behind Fletcher and Riley.

Old
05-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Capitlols

Jabar released, #10 for Griff

Old
05-01-2012, 10:06 AM
amin723

dumb pick. The arrogance of Shannahan strikes again. This was his compromise for going along with the Griffin trade/pick.

Personally I thought the Redskins should've saved picks and taken some playmakers/lineman for depth with this year's picks and maybe go after a Cousins/Wilson type letter just as an attempt to get a better quarterback.

I do love RGIII though.

Closed Thread