HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

ECQF Game 7 | 4-26-2012 | Devils @ Panthers | 8:30 PM EDT | TV: NHL-N, TSN, FS FLA

Old
04-30-2012, 10:55 AM
hockey dude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Matthias isn't valuable in the least. He's proficient at nothing other than skating well for a big man. Easily replaceable.

Jovo at times has the decision making of a Goat. He's vastly overpaid. Comfortable the worst Defenseman on the team (Who plays regular minutes).

Campbell may have made his share of mistakes, but he's certainly more reliable in both zones, has a certified impact and is a minute muncher. Jovo is a below average NHL Defenseman at this point.
Matthias is easily replaceable. You think!!! I would trade Goc long before I'd trade Matthias. Matthias works on his face offs and he's got way more upside than Goc. Matthias is 24 for crying out loud; where do you find 6 foot 4 inch guys that play center and can skate like him? Patience man. Everybody seems to think Nick Bjugstad is going to walk into an NHL centerman's position, don't think so! It's way too early to give up on a guy like Matthias. Get real!

hockey dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dude View Post
Matthias is easily replaceable. You think!!! I would trade Goc long before I'd trade Matthias. Matthias works on his face offs and he's got way more upside than Goc. Matthias is 24 for crying out loud; where do you find 6 foot 4 inch guys that play center and can skate like him? Patience man. Everybody seems to think Nick Bjugstad is going to walk into an NHL centerman's position, don't think so! It's way too early to give up on a guy like Matthias. Get real!
In which world do you live?
Cmon! Goc has been far more consistent in all categorys than Matthias! Goc was great offensively, one of our best this season! Cant really compare these two..

What has Matthias done this season? Well in the first month something..but after than NOTHING! He hasnt scored on a consistent basis and didnt play that well either..We need offense and if we are not gonna get it we need to react..
IMO I liked Sturm and Madden more offensively than Matthias.
His time is done here..We have had a few busts here and shouldnt ride them anymore..Olesz, Stewart, Dads (except the one year). I like Matsumoto way more!
Not sure about Repik. But I dont see him getting a chance to crack the lineup at anytime.
And Tallon will react to make room for next season!

Boothinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:11 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Im trying to figure out if you are serious, or just trolling the board. Did you happen to watch Goc in the playoffs? He was arguably our best forward. It really looks like you have a tough time evaluating players, because Goc is more valuable to this team, at the moment, than Matthias, and that is pretty simple to see.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Tuco

Don't think Matthias' upside is that high. He is an ok responsible player. The type that every team has min. half a dozen of.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:31 PM
hockey dude

Just saying Goc is five years older than Matthias. Yes, Goc had a good playoff run. Matthias hit a wall in early February. His stats were pretty good up until then and Goc's weren't exactly earth shattering either. Again just saying that Matthias is worth another look. No way in my mind is he a Stewart or Olesz. I think it is too early, maybe if by next trade deadline but certainly not this summer unless the return is phenomenol. And no I'm not just trolling!!

Old
04-30-2012, 03:14 PM
SeasonTicket

I think what your trying to say is look at Goc stats going back to when he was 24. Goc was basically Matthias.
So the question is if they work with Matthias from age 24 to age 28 (which is what Goc is now) is he better than Goc.
While your looking at Goc look at Kopecky. Only last year did he have career points better than Matthias. Kocpecky is 30. I think Matthias does basically what Kopecky does but Kopecky makes 3.5 mil.

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:23 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
If it's possible, there seems to be even more delusion regarding Matthias than there was about Anthony Stewart.

Matthias is absolutely inept Offensively, and there are many, many many players who are as good or better in the Defensive zone as him.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:50 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Right now Goc >> Matthias.

Having said that, it would be foolish to give up on Matthias at this point. He has potential to improve and he's inexpensive.

Hopefully he's the last Panthers prospect for whom we can blame poor development by the organization.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 04:06 PM
hockey dude

I'll say it one more time, Matthias hit a wall. The good young ones get through the wall. Until I've seen Matthias given the opportunity to mature a little and to play with some real wingers I'm thinking you are willing to pull the plug way too soon. It is not unlike the Kulikov trade talk. Come on if we are going to build a championship team the 24 year olds today are more important than the 28 or 29 year olds. Matthias beside Huberdeau may be just what the doctor ordered. Just saying some patience is all.

Old
04-30-2012, 04:10 PM
freakstar
Paaaaaanthers

Quote:
I'll say it one more time, Matthias hit a wall. The good young ones get through the wall. Until I've seen Matthias given the opportunity to mature a little and to play with some real wingers I'm thinking you are willing to pull the plug way too soon. It is not unlike the Kulikov trade talk. Come on if we are going to build a championship team the 24 year olds today are more important than the 28 or 29 year olds. Matthias beside Huberdeau may be just what the doctor ordered. Just saying some patience is all.
While I think we should give Matthias one more season I have to say that Goc was a lot better than Matthias this season, and he was absolutely x10 better than Matthias in the playoffs. I'd trade Matthias long before I'd even think about trading Goc.

freakstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:48 PM
SeasonTicket

That's not the point I am making here.

Not disagreeing with you that Goc is better than Matthias at this point or that Goc was better than Matthias in the playoffs.

What I am trying to say is that Matthias is better at this point in his career than Goc was at 24 and Kopecky was at 24.

So what will Matthias be like at 28 or 30, that is the question and I think the point that Hockey Dude is trying to make.

By your logic Goc should have ended his career at 24 because he was were Matthias is now.

??????

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:06 PM
hockey dude

I don't disagree if we're talking right now, but right now though is already in the past. Just saying that if Matthias pans out the way I think he will there's no need to trade either but suspect down the road which we are building for Matthias will have more the upside than Goc. Really don't think there is a GM out there that would give up on Matthias at this stage, maybe at trade deadline but right now I think he could still make that GM's decision look foolish. Just saying there's still time for him to become more of an asset and thus more marketable. His value right now is not there and a fair bit has been invested in him. Madden and Sturm should not even be in the same conversation. They are winding down not up.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Haaabs

Hey guys, no idea where to put this but

Shoutout to the fans in the arena for game 7. Early in the third period they got up, and they never sat back down. That was amazing to watch. Wish you guys would've made it through, I was cheering for Theo.

Haaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:01 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post

Shoutout to the fans in the arena for game 7. Early in the third period they got up, and they never sat back down. That was amazing to watch. Wish you guys would've made it through, I was cheering for Theo.
Thx a lot! Don't get much love north of the border so really appreciated!!!

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:04 AM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post

Yup it was awesome. I never EVER stand up for more than like 15 seconds and I was up the whole time. Such an awesome experience even though there was heartbreak

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Erick

I don't really understand this whole Goc/Matthias comparison.

One, their respective games couldn't possibly differ more in terms of style. One is finesse, the other is more physical.

Goc is and always was better at faceoffs. (won over 51% of the faceoffs he took at the age of 24, just like this year)

Goc also played on a great team at the age of 24 and got less playing time than Matthias got here.

Either way, neither one really stands out offensively.

They're both checking line centers to me.

Goc seems like the guy who fills that role a lot better. Good at faceoffs and really, he was one of our most valuable forwards this year. Advanced stats show that we basically owned other teams in terms of puck possession when Goc was on the ice. Extra impressive because Dineen gave Goc more defensive responsibilities than any other forward.

When a forward gets asked to start most of his shifts in his own zone and he plays a role in gaining/maintaining puck possession for the team, he's pretty valuable. That's what the game is all about, really.

Matthias has his moments, but I'm not sure he's quite that guy.
We have so many players under contract/so many prospects that Matthias might not be here long.

The Panthers seem to value faceoffs because we're trying to be a puck possession type of team. Matthias won 49% of his faceoffs this year.

I'm assuming the goal is to upgrade at some point with a top-6 center, have Goc as the 3rd line center, and have someone like Smithson on the 4th line.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:20 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I don't really understand this whole Goc/Matthias comparison.

One, their respective games couldn't possibly differ more in terms of style. One is finesse, the other is more physical.

Goc is and always was better at faceoffs. (won over 51% of the faceoffs he took at the age of 24, just like this year)

Goc also played on a great team at the age of 24 and got less playing time than Matthias got here.

Either way, neither one really stands out offensively.

They're both checking line centers to me.

Goc seems like the guy who fills that role a lot better. Good at faceoffs and really, he was one of our most valuable forwards this year. Advanced stats show that we basically owned other teams in terms of puck possession when Goc was on the ice. Extra impressive because Dineen gave Goc more defensive responsibilities than any other forward.

When a forward gets asked to start most of his shifts in his own zone and he plays a role in gaining/maintaining puck possession for the team, he's pretty valuable. That's what the game is all about, really.

Matthias has his moments, but I'm not sure he's quite that guy.
We have so many players under contract/so many prospects that Matthias might not be here long.

The Panthers seem to value faceoffs because we're trying to be a puck possession type of team. Matthias won 49% of his faceoffs this year.

I'm assuming the goal is to upgrade at some point with a top-6 center, have Goc as the 3rd line center, and have someone like Smithson on the 4th line.
I agree. For me there's no question that I have Goc penciled in on the 3rd line. Matthias showed flashes of the kid we'd hope to get when we traded Bertuzzi, but he totally needs to step up his game next season. I see Matthias as the last high-hopes prospect of the last regime, and I'm excited to see if Tallon's batch of Gremlins can burst on the scene and deliver.

But yeah, perhaps Matthias can make a leap and produce on the 4th line (with Barch I hope) next season. We'll see.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Gudbranson is 20 years old. I definitely see potential for him to improve greatly on his offensive output from this season. He's slowly but surely gaining the confidence to rush the puck, and it seems like most of his shots hit the net. that's very promising for a young d-man. He's definitely shown that he has the potential to be a physical top pairing shutdown D in this league, and that is an extremely valuable commodity. Those guys are worth their weight in gold in the playoffs. And if he is hurting people like this at 210 lbs., imagine in a few years when he has some more experience and is 220-225 lbs. I'm glad he's on our side.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Haj

I don't think anything is wrong with Mathias. He is a solid bottom 6 forward, the type of utility player every team needs to win in the playoffs. I expect him to score 20-30 pts a year, be solid defensively.

I'm not sure what everyone really expects out of him. He gets quite a few opportunities because of his speed/strength but he doesn't have the finishing skill to score. Very much like Skille in this respect. He is a good 3rd liner or great 4th liner.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Game one just started on NHL Network at 11.

Friggin lockout, I want my hockey!!