HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

ECQF Game 7 | 4-26-2012 | Devils @ Panthers | 8:30 PM EDT | TV: NHL-N, TSN, FS FLA

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-30-2012, 10:55 AM
  #976
hockey dude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Matthias isn't valuable in the least. He's proficient at nothing other than skating well for a big man. Easily replaceable.

Jovo at times has the decision making of a Goat. He's vastly overpaid. Comfortable the worst Defenseman on the team (Who plays regular minutes).

Campbell may have made his share of mistakes, but he's certainly more reliable in both zones, has a certified impact and is a minute muncher. Jovo is a below average NHL Defenseman at this point.
Matthias is easily replaceable. You think!!! I would trade Goc long before I'd trade Matthias. Matthias works on his face offs and he's got way more upside than Goc. Matthias is 24 for crying out loud; where do you find 6 foot 4 inch guys that play center and can skate like him? Patience man. Everybody seems to think Nick Bjugstad is going to walk into an NHL centerman's position, don't think so! It's way too early to give up on a guy like Matthias. Get real!

hockey dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:06 AM
  #977
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator
 
Boothinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,928
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dude View Post
Matthias is easily replaceable. You think!!! I would trade Goc long before I'd trade Matthias. Matthias works on his face offs and he's got way more upside than Goc. Matthias is 24 for crying out loud; where do you find 6 foot 4 inch guys that play center and can skate like him? Patience man. Everybody seems to think Nick Bjugstad is going to walk into an NHL centerman's position, don't think so! It's way too early to give up on a guy like Matthias. Get real!
In which world do you live?
Cmon! Goc has been far more consistent in all categorys than Matthias! Goc was great offensively, one of our best this season! Cant really compare these two..

What has Matthias done this season? Well in the first month something..but after than NOTHING! He hasnt scored on a consistent basis and didnt play that well either..We need offense and if we are not gonna get it we need to react..
IMO I liked Sturm and Madden more offensively than Matthias.
His time is done here..We have had a few busts here and shouldnt ride them anymore..Olesz, Stewart, Dads (except the one year). I like Matsumoto way more!
Not sure about Repik. But I dont see him getting a chance to crack the lineup at anytime.
And Tallon will react to make room for next season!

Boothinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:11 AM
  #978
pb1300
BLEED RED
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dude View Post
Matthias is easily replaceable. You think!!! I would trade Goc long before I'd trade Matthias. Matthias works on his face offs and he's got way more upside than Goc. Matthias is 24 for crying out loud; where do you find 6 foot 4 inch guys that play center and can skate like him? Patience man. Everybody seems to think Nick Bjugstad is going to walk into an NHL centerman's position, don't think so! It's way too early to give up on a guy like Matthias. Get real!
Im trying to figure out if you are serious, or just trolling the board. Did you happen to watch Goc in the playoffs? He was arguably our best forward. It really looks like you have a tough time evaluating players, because Goc is more valuable to this team, at the moment, than Matthias, and that is pretty simple to see.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:11 AM
  #979
Tuco
Registered User
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
Don't think Matthias' upside is that high. He is an ok responsible player. The type that every team has min. half a dozen of.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:31 PM
  #980
hockey dude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Just saying Goc is five years older than Matthias. Yes, Goc had a good playoff run. Matthias hit a wall in early February. His stats were pretty good up until then and Goc's weren't exactly earth shattering either. Again just saying that Matthias is worth another look. No way in my mind is he a Stewart or Olesz. I think it is too early, maybe if by next trade deadline but certainly not this summer unless the return is phenomenol. And no I'm not just trolling!!

hockey dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:14 PM
  #981
SeasonTicket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
I think what your trying to say is look at Goc stats going back to when he was 24. Goc was basically Matthias.
So the question is if they work with Matthias from age 24 to age 28 (which is what Goc is now) is he better than Goc.
While your looking at Goc look at Kopecky. Only last year did he have career points better than Matthias. Kocpecky is 30. I think Matthias does basically what Kopecky does but Kopecky makes 3.5 mil.

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:23 PM
  #982
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,763
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
If it's possible, there seems to be even more delusion regarding Matthias than there was about Anthony Stewart.

Matthias is absolutely inept Offensively, and there are many, many many players who are as good or better in the Defensive zone as him.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 03:50 PM
  #983
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,395
vCash: 500
Right now Goc >> Matthias.

Having said that, it would be foolish to give up on Matthias at this point. He has potential to improve and he's inexpensive.

Hopefully he's the last Panthers prospect for whom we can blame poor development by the organization.

__________________
FLORIDA PANTHERS EPISODE XX: A NEW HOPE



angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 04:06 PM
  #984
hockey dude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
I'll say it one more time, Matthias hit a wall. The good young ones get through the wall. Until I've seen Matthias given the opportunity to mature a little and to play with some real wingers I'm thinking you are willing to pull the plug way too soon. It is not unlike the Kulikov trade talk. Come on if we are going to build a championship team the 24 year olds today are more important than the 28 or 29 year olds. Matthias beside Huberdeau may be just what the doctor ordered. Just saying some patience is all.

hockey dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 04:10 PM
  #985
freakstar
Paaaaaanthers
 
freakstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dude View Post
I'll say it one more time, Matthias hit a wall. The good young ones get through the wall. Until I've seen Matthias given the opportunity to mature a little and to play with some real wingers I'm thinking you are willing to pull the plug way too soon. It is not unlike the Kulikov trade talk. Come on if we are going to build a championship team the 24 year olds today are more important than the 28 or 29 year olds. Matthias beside Huberdeau may be just what the doctor ordered. Just saying some patience is all.
While I think we should give Matthias one more season I have to say that Goc was a lot better than Matthias this season, and he was absolutely x10 better than Matthias in the playoffs. I'd trade Matthias long before I'd even think about trading Goc.

freakstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:48 PM
  #986
SeasonTicket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
That's not the point I am making here.

Not disagreeing with you that Goc is better than Matthias at this point or that Goc was better than Matthias in the playoffs.

What I am trying to say is that Matthias is better at this point in his career than Goc was at 24 and Kopecky was at 24.

So what will Matthias be like at 28 or 30, that is the question and I think the point that Hockey Dude is trying to make.

By your logic Goc should have ended his career at 24 because he was were Matthias is now.

??????

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:06 PM
  #987
hockey dude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
I don't disagree if we're talking right now, but right now though is already in the past. Just saying that if Matthias pans out the way I think he will there's no need to trade either but suspect down the road which we are building for Matthias will have more the upside than Goc. Really don't think there is a GM out there that would give up on Matthias at this stage, maybe at trade deadline but right now I think he could still make that GM's decision look foolish. Just saying there's still time for him to become more of an asset and thus more marketable. His value right now is not there and a fair bit has been invested in him. Madden and Sturm should not even be in the same conversation. They are winding down not up.

hockey dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:07 PM
  #988
Haaabs
Registered User
 
Haaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Hey guys, no idea where to put this but

Shoutout to the fans in the arena for game 7. Early in the third period they got up, and they never sat back down. That was amazing to watch. Wish you guys would've made it through, I was cheering for Theo.

Haaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:01 AM
  #989
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post
Hey guys, no idea where to put this but

Shoutout to the fans in the arena for game 7. Early in the third period they got up, and they never sat back down. That was amazing to watch. Wish you guys would've made it through, I was cheering for Theo.
Thx a lot! Don't get much love north of the border so really appreciated!!!

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:04 AM
  #990
FinlandPanther
Registered User
 
FinlandPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dania Florida
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post
Hey guys, no idea where to put this but

Shoutout to the fans in the arena for game 7. Early in the third period they got up, and they never sat back down. That was amazing to watch. Wish you guys would've made it through, I was cheering for Theo.
Yup it was awesome. I never EVER stand up for more than like 15 seconds and I was up the whole time. Such an awesome experience even though there was heartbreak

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:20 AM
  #991
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,516
vCash: 500
I don't really understand this whole Goc/Matthias comparison.

One, their respective games couldn't possibly differ more in terms of style. One is finesse, the other is more physical.

Goc is and always was better at faceoffs. (won over 51% of the faceoffs he took at the age of 24, just like this year)

Goc also played on a great team at the age of 24 and got less playing time than Matthias got here.

Either way, neither one really stands out offensively.

They're both checking line centers to me.

Goc seems like the guy who fills that role a lot better. Good at faceoffs and really, he was one of our most valuable forwards this year. Advanced stats show that we basically owned other teams in terms of puck possession when Goc was on the ice. Extra impressive because Dineen gave Goc more defensive responsibilities than any other forward.

When a forward gets asked to start most of his shifts in his own zone and he plays a role in gaining/maintaining puck possession for the team, he's pretty valuable. That's what the game is all about, really.

Matthias has his moments, but I'm not sure he's quite that guy.
We have so many players under contract/so many prospects that Matthias might not be here long.

The Panthers seem to value faceoffs because we're trying to be a puck possession type of team. Matthias won 49% of his faceoffs this year.

I'm assuming the goal is to upgrade at some point with a top-6 center, have Goc as the 3rd line center, and have someone like Smithson on the 4th line.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:20 AM
  #992
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian
 
Ghoste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,926
vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I don't really understand this whole Goc/Matthias comparison.

One, their respective games couldn't possibly differ more in terms of style. One is finesse, the other is more physical.

Goc is and always was better at faceoffs. (won over 51% of the faceoffs he took at the age of 24, just like this year)

Goc also played on a great team at the age of 24 and got less playing time than Matthias got here.

Either way, neither one really stands out offensively.

They're both checking line centers to me.

Goc seems like the guy who fills that role a lot better. Good at faceoffs and really, he was one of our most valuable forwards this year. Advanced stats show that we basically owned other teams in terms of puck possession when Goc was on the ice. Extra impressive because Dineen gave Goc more defensive responsibilities than any other forward.

When a forward gets asked to start most of his shifts in his own zone and he plays a role in gaining/maintaining puck possession for the team, he's pretty valuable. That's what the game is all about, really.

Matthias has his moments, but I'm not sure he's quite that guy.
We have so many players under contract/so many prospects that Matthias might not be here long.

The Panthers seem to value faceoffs because we're trying to be a puck possession type of team. Matthias won 49% of his faceoffs this year.

I'm assuming the goal is to upgrade at some point with a top-6 center, have Goc as the 3rd line center, and have someone like Smithson on the 4th line.
I agree. For me there's no question that I have Goc penciled in on the 3rd line. Matthias showed flashes of the kid we'd hope to get when we traded Bertuzzi, but he totally needs to step up his game next season. I see Matthias as the last high-hopes prospect of the last regime, and I'm excited to see if Tallon's batch of Gremlins can burst on the scene and deliver.

But yeah, perhaps Matthias can make a leap and produce on the 4th line (with Barch I hope) next season. We'll see.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:29 AM
  #993
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 15,593
vCash: 500
Gudbranson is 20 years old. I definitely see potential for him to improve greatly on his offensive output from this season. He's slowly but surely gaining the confidence to rush the puck, and it seems like most of his shots hit the net. that's very promising for a young d-man. He's definitely shown that he has the potential to be a physical top pairing shutdown D in this league, and that is an extremely valuable commodity. Those guys are worth their weight in gold in the playoffs. And if he is hurting people like this at 210 lbs., imagine in a few years when he has some more experience and is 220-225 lbs. I'm glad he's on our side.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:39 AM
  #994
Haj
Registered User
 
Haj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,528
vCash: 500
I don't think anything is wrong with Mathias. He is a solid bottom 6 forward, the type of utility player every team needs to win in the playoffs. I expect him to score 20-30 pts a year, be solid defensively.

I'm not sure what everyone really expects out of him. He gets quite a few opportunities because of his speed/strength but he doesn't have the finishing skill to score. Very much like Skille in this respect. He is a good 3rd liner or great 4th liner.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:22 AM
  #995
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,639
vCash: 500
Game one just started on NHL Network at 11.

Friggin lockout, I want my hockey!!

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.