HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We have Tomas Kaberle

Old
04-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Halifaxhab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Pheonix doesn't make sense, they just acquired Rundblad and are already stacked with youngsters. maybe the Islanders in a package with Gomez
Well, Phoenix will likely need to make it to the cap floor, and Rozival is gone, so they could bring in Kaberle. just a thought. Isles would work too, but I think they are too cheap to pay the actual $ amount on his contract which is the same as his cap in this case.

If they want Gomez too, they could have both for a conditional 2347 7th rd pick. Condition being that Mars is colonized

Halifaxhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:37 PM
gusfring

I'm still amazed at how many people liked the Kaberle deal when it was made.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I'm still amazed at how many people liked the Kaberle deal when it was made.
It was funny seeing all the happy people on that Friday, but hey

Kaberle > 4 million in cap space

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:46 PM
kassian

Quote:
It was funny seeing all the happy people on that Friday, but hey

Kaberle > 4 million in cap space

Guys, srsly... guys stop reminding us. It's up there with the McDonagh/Gomez trade as being one of the worst things to remind a Hab fan.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson Hoggs View Post

Guys, srsly... guys stop reminding us. It's up there with the McDonagh/Gomez trade as being one of the worst things to remind a Hab fan.
It's definitely not even close to the Gomez trade as we didn't lose a future stud for years to come but the fact that Spacek was going to be a UFA and we would have had 4 million to play with this summer and could have signed a much better player than Kaberle is frustrating

Old
04-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Subban, Emelin..? Barely need one more if that... I think Tinordi will fit in quite nicely.
Tinordi won't be there next season, we still need another D who can be physical.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:11 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
It's definitely not even close to the Gomez trade as we didn't lose a future stud for years to come but the fact that Spacek was going to be a UFA and we would have had 4 million to play with this summer and could have signed a much better player than Kaberle is frustrating
Actually we have a ton of cap space, and even more with the cap going up, and Gomez off the books.

And there simply isn't a great pool of D-men out there, we will probably be in a scenario like last offseason, when we had 5M+ in cap space with nothing to spend it on, until we signed Campoli.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 01:33 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson Hoggs View Post

The Kaberle trade isn't even in the same universe.

The Gomez trade could go down as one of worst NHL trades of all time.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Actually we have a ton of cap space, and even more with the cap going up, and Gomez off the books.

And there simply isn't a great pool of D-men out there, we will probably be in a scenario like last offseason, when we had 5M+ in cap space with nothing to spend it on, until we signed Campoli.
As of right now there is no news on the next CBA and it's all speculation that the cap is going up. Nothing is confirmed

That's because Gauthier was in charge and he had no idea what to do

Old
04-30-2012, 02:07 PM
RoadTotheCup

If we can move him right now, lets give him a good stay at home D let him get some pts to raise is value. At this stage there's a chance somebody will get interested since at worst they will only be stuck with him for one more year.

RoadTotheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Miller Time

1- Trade him for something decent, or even marginally useful (late pick, depth prospect, depth player)

2- Trade him for another bad contract, but for a player who would be a better fit/complement existing roster better

3- Trade him as part of a package (accepting that he's a "negative value" on the other elements of the deal)

4- encourage him to find a KHL deal

5- send him to Hamilton

6- keep him as #7dman, use him almost solely on PP

that's my order of priorities when it comes to Kaberle... hopefully our new GM is able to pull off something impressive and move him without it costing us.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:53 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
1- Trade him for something decent, or even marginally useful (late pick, depth prospect, depth player)

2- Trade him for another bad contract, but for a player who would be a better fit/complement existing roster better

3- Trade him as part of a package (accepting that he's a "negative value" on the other elements of the deal)

4- encourage him to find a KHL deal

5- send him to Hamilton

6- keep him as #7dman, use him almost solely on PP

that's my order of priorities when it comes to Kaberle... hopefully our new GM is able to pull off something impressive and move him without it costing us.

Why are these options?

If he had played a whole year with MTL the guy would have been been 4th on our team in points.

The guy isn't great, soft as butter, can be weak defensively but he is for sure isn't as bad as ppl make him seem.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

If I as GM could get something for Kaberle right now, I would take it.

Kaberle is "ok" overall, although still a bad fit for what our defense corps needs. And he might conceivably have some bounce-back value. But if I got the chance to gamble the risk of what he would provide us next season vs. the risk of what I could otherwise spend his cap hit on... I'd take the latter.

Pretty much the same with Bourque. Maybe they'd end up helping us, maybe they still wouldn't, maybe I could sign better players with their money on July 1st, maybe not. I don't see it as much of a blow to the team if I can't, though.

Anyway, it all starts with finding somebody out there who will pony up the requisite 7th rounder... I don't think that's too much to ask for, although again the problem is finding teams that will be willing *before* July 1st - when they want to save up their cap space for FA shopping too. Afterwards, it probably isn't so much of a problem. By which time things will have sorted themselves out in terms of our FA pursuits too, so it might become a moot question.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 04:08 PM
uocooco

Just trade him.

uocooco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Drunk World Order

I like Kaberle...I am a habs fan that lives in Toronto and I was always a fan of his...he has great vision and played a disciplined game at times in Toronto...He is still very good at moving the puck. His game fell off ever since joining the bruins and then with the Canes and Habs...I believe he had a hard time adapting to a new system and playing a role he was not playing in Toronto. He apparently came into the Canes camp in really bad shape and had a hard time rebounding. If he comes into camp with a clear head and better shape and a better understanding of his role on the team I believe he could be a great asset...I also believe that him pairing with Markov could be dynamic as well. I am gonna stay positive and I believe he will be a lot better next year!

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Kabs sucks defensively, I've seen warm butter put up more of a fight than he ever will and he looks out of shape for a NHL player.

He was still on pace with the habs for 40+ points iirc. That's more points on the backend from anyone on the team.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:12 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

He really doesn't fit for now but perhaps we can trade him at the deadline for some assets. GMs are strange creatures, perhaps one of them is going to hand us a pick for him..

With some luck maybe he's going to bounce back and be useful (otherwise we'll trade him for better assets). He's in his early 30 ''crisis'' which many NHLers go trough. His body is slowing down and since he was (I assume) never a fitness freak that always relied on skills alone its starting to show. If he's serious about playing many more years he's going to put more effort in his conditioning and he might bounce back. He was a all star before after all...

There is also a pretty strong possibility that he doesn't really care anymore and we're going to be stuck with him floating on the third pairing eating some soft minutes. I think that is what most of us think (I do too, honestly) but we are all biased against him. We are bred to hate Leafs after all and he was even a Bruin one time.

Best case scenario for our defense if he bounces back -

Markov-Subban
Kaberle-Gorges
Emelin-Diaz

A good UFA signings would add great depth too and bounce Diaz to 7th D. The passing skills of our top4 would be incredible and should really help offense and play in the neutral zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer
Kabs sucks defensively, I've seen warm butter put up more of a fight than he ever will and he looks out of shape for a NHL player.

He was still on pace with the habs for 40+ points iirc. That's more points on the backend from anyone on the team.
I think next year is really important for him. He needs to improve his conditioning and has been on a downward spiral the last two years and was visibly out of shape last season. Its not too late for him, he's not 39yr old

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Pr3Va1L

Any physical d-man who can shoot the puck on the market this summer ?

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:34 PM
MattScott

Send a message via MSN to MattScott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Any physical d-man who can shoot the puck on the market this summer ?
Suter, Garrison, Wideman, Stuart, Souray to name a few.

MattScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:03 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattScott View Post
Pass on all that.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattScott View Post
Except Suter, Kaberle is still a better choice

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 03:46 AM
HockeyF3ind

In Kaberle's defense for this past year and Carolina trading of him after signing and "renouncing of", Kaberle did win a Stanley with the Bruins the year before, if you recall. You know playing till game 7 of the Stanely Cup final, kind of takes some time out of your summer, and when you win the Cup I think your entitled to some celebration after grinding it out hard on the Laughs for your whole career. Some don't credit him as instrumental for that run, but he had 11 assists in that run and the Bruins got bounced this year in the 1st round. Had problems scoring goals, which PMDs help.
On a very hard team like the Bs it doesn't matter that Kabby is soft, but on a team like ours where we are generally soft and on the smaller side (although getting bigger), he just exacerbates the already existing problems of softness. Particularly when we have much younger cheaper (albeit less skilled) versions of him.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 05:20 AM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
It's just ridiculous to me. This trade still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. What an idiot Gauthier was. Spacek wasn't terrible, and he was coming off the books this year. Instead we a similar, but more expensive player who we are stuck with for another few years.

It really speaks volumes when not only will no other team conceivably take him, but the GM who signed him to his contract even renounced it.
Exactly. It was a trade done out of desperation due to the Markov debacle. No one in the league wanted Kaberle which should have been a sign right there to stay away from him. The acquisition of Kaberle and the Bourque deal were the two worst by PG. Just imagine what we could have got for Cammy at the trade deadline.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
The Kaberle trade isn't even in the same universe.

The Gomez trade could go down as one of worst NHL trades of all time.
Patrick Roy, John Leclair, Chris Chelios.....

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Patrick Roy, John Leclair, Chris Chelios.....
John Kordic

Ernie Hicks and a 1st round pick in 1970

you can post a bunch of trades we've won as well.

Halifaxhab is online now   Reply With Quote