HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 145: Jones vs Evans

Old
04-22-2012, 12:13 AM
I Am Beat You

vCash: 500
That was one of the most ridiculous game plans I've ever seen. Rashad didn't give himself much of a chance.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 12:14 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Gustafsson is good, but Jones would shred him.

Jones is going to be the LHW champ until the day comes when he can't make weight at 205 anymore. There's just nobody close.
Gustaffson has a chance, pretty much the LHW version of Dominick Cruz.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 12:17 AM
samsquanch9*

vCash: 50
I was getting so ****ing frustrated when Jones wouldnt ****ing finish him.

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 12:22 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by MahnaMahna View Post
A large part of that was Rashad not really that willing to engage.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 12:43 AM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Fanboy has nothing to do with a team concept. It's someone who blindly follows... I don't even get what you're trying to say here. You can't be a fanboy because it's not a team sport... What?
Blindly follows? How is he blindly following someone who is the most dominant MMA fighter in the world? I'm saying it's hard not to be your definition of a fan boy in 1v1 sports. You're cheering for one guy, not a whole team, which means more support will go to the one guy instead of the entire team which in turn makes you look like a fan boy apparently... What?

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 12:45 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
You know I don't really hate Evans.

I just have been watching MMA so long that I have seen what happens to the older fighters that don't really have the same edge they had when they were winners in the UFC.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather Evans retire and do something else MMA.

I hate to see these guys get they lights turned out or perform the way Evans did tonight. That fight sucked.

And I feel Jones let up because he didn't want to hurt him.
For someone whose 'been watching MMA for so long' you sure know very little about it.

Rashad at 32, is ready to retire? He just lost the 2nd fight of his career. He can only fight other guys on their way out? He just thoroughly out-classed Phil Davis, who will be fighting MMA a long time.

There are tons of fights left for Rashad, at either 205 or 185 if he makes that drop. When Jones makes his inevitable move to HW, maybe Rashad will be at the top of 205.

I'm a huge Jones fan, but also like what Rashad has done in the UFC. I don't know if you're a Rashad-hater, Jones-lover, or somewhere in between but all I see is a massive spew of garbage spread out over this thread by you.

Last edited by Spawn: 04-22-2012 at 01:35 AM.
m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Gustaffson has a chance, pretty much the LHW version of Dominick Cruz.
He would be taken down and smashed with elbowsor submitted. Every time Jones dismantles an opponent we hear about how the next guy up can offer something that is going to beat Jones.

There's no one at LHW who is beating Jones. If he moves up to HW, then perhaps things will get interesting for him.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 01:47 AM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Usually post fight interviews are gold but listen to "the line" in this one by Ben Rothwell.
It's @ :45

http://www.ufc.com/media/145-Post-Fight-Schaub-Rothwell

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Some good finishes tonight.

Browne and Rothwell both looked good.

Michael McDonald looked great. Torres used to be a good fighter but now he's just boring to watch and on top of that he's a pretty cocky guy. It was nice seeing him get knocked out like that.

Rory is a beast. I'd love to see him fight a guy like Nick Diaz. Rory will probably be able to take him down but it should be a good fight.

I have to agree with the others who said the main event sucked. I'm a big Jones fan so I'm glad he won but that wasn't a very exciting fight. A lot of that had to do with Rashad but Jones should have pushed it a bit more.

Rogan was also drinking the UFC and Jon Jones kool-aid a bit too much tonight. "Jones is relentless and he kept pushing for the finish the entire fight". Umm he was leaning on Rashad and just holding onto him for half of the last two rounds because he was either tired or because he knew he had already won the first three rounds. Rogan also said that was the most impressive win of Jones' career but I completely disagree with that. His wins over Shogun and Machida were a lot more impressive than this one.

As for Rashad, even though it went to a decision I thought he fought worse than Rampage. Unlike Rampage, Rashad actually has speed and can move around but he didn't really use that. He is also a great wrestler but he didn't use that part of his game either. It's obviously very hard to get a hold of Jones to take him down but even when they were in the clinch, Rashad just stood there and did nothing.

Rampage and Rashad both had a punchers chance and that's it. They just kept waiting for the one big shot while getting picked apart the entire fight. I think Hendo is the same way and Jones is going to easily go through him as well. No one at 205 is going to beat Jones.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 05:19 AM
BGDDYKWL

Unfortunately I missed the Rothwell fight, but I really liked him a lot at +220 or whatever he ended up being. Schaub has always been vastly overrated, and that in combination with Rothwell looking to be in real good shape at the weigh-ins really set the stage for this. And don't get me wrong, I wasn't confident enough to bet on Brown, but needless to say that performance officially derails the "Wonderboy" train. I found it a little funny how emotional Browne seemed to be after his win. Someone needs to tell him it was Chad Griggs. My guess is Griggs moves to 205 after this. Browne needed an impressive win after his last fight, and while he was fed a perfect opponent for that, to his credit he delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
That was one of the most ridiculous game plans I've ever seen. Rashad didn't give himself much of a chance.
I gave Rashad the first round, so my guess is he goes to his corner thinking that approach is working well for him. I think eating a few huge elbows really rattled him. I understand the argument that he should try to take Jones down, but I have a feeling even he wasn't so confident he'd be able to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahnaMahna View Post
I think Jones' fear of getting caught with some (lucky) shot really factored into his performance. I think that was made very evident when he pulled guard in the closing seconds. Clearly this win was very important to him, and I think a pretty one-sided victory was more important than opening himself up in an attempt to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
He would be taken down and smashed with elbowsor submitted. Every time Jones dismantles an opponent we hear about how the next guy up can offer something that is going to beat Jones.

There's no one at LHW who is beating Jones. If he moves up to HW, then perhaps things will get interesting for him.
Completely agree. Jones would slaughter Gustafsson. I'd be very confident he'd beat him even if he had to stand with him, but there's no doubt in my mind he'd get that fight to the ground and dominate from there.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:44 AM
DeathFromAbove

Disappointing main event last night. Rashad had no real intention of going after a victory, he was satisfied with not getting knocked out. Combine that with the fact Jones seemed tentative the whole fight and it makes for a stinker of a match.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
I think Rashad felt his best option was to try and couter hit a punching combination and didn't get it in. I think the elbows spooked him as well, because you could tell he and his camp figured at that range, Jones would have a harder time hitting him. I think, and rightfully so, Rashad felt that he could close the gap a bit, get inside the obvious length advantage that Jones has, and effectively use his power. I just think the elbows were something he didn't exactly plan for and expect. Jones has used the knee a few times, and he has hit a few elbows when the guy has been up against the cage, but to exclusively look and land elbow combinations is a bit hard to plan for. Not to mention, who are you getting to practice that with?

I feel once Rashad realized he wasn't prepared to trade and use his intermediate game, he really was hung up with out much choice but to try and go for the big combination/knockout.

I also dispute the idea that Jones wasn't trying to finish or let up on the gas at the end. I do think he tried to some extent, but like anyone with half a brain realizes that Rashad catching him with one or two big hits and he would have lost.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:21 PM
m9

Its kind of funny the lack of talk coming out of this card after the fact. It seems all of the points were pretty obvious.

1. Jon Jones is really good. He is fighting Dan Henderson next, and will probably win. Who knows who he will fight after.

2. Rashad is very good, but not as good as Jones.

3. Rory MacDonald is far better than Che Mills, and his next fight needs to be a big step up in competition.

4. Ben Rothwell is a UFC-calibre HW. Schaub has no chin.

5. Micheal McDonald is right behind Renan Barao in line to get a shot at the 135 title.

6. Travis Browne needs a step up in competition. He is better than the low-level UFC HW's.

Just kind of weird. This long lull between cards just made people kind of disinterested in the results, it just kind of ended and everyone got confirmation for things they already kind of knew.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:14 AM
BGDDYKWL

Forgot to mention this but I really noticed it with the Rampage fight, and I got the same feeling with Rashad as well. Rampage seemed in really good spirits following his loss to Jones, and even though he was submitted, part of me wonders if he was just happy that he didn't get brutally TKOed. I've seen Rashad's gameplan questioned, and again, part of me has a feeling that once he tasted a few of those elbows his goal was just to survive. I think in the back of these guys' minds even they're not so sure they can beat Jones. Hopefully we don't see the same from Henderson.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote