HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs. Rangers, Game 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Pshaw!!!!! And that gets you down? That's nuttin. I have probably the all time longest losing streak that defies odds to such a degree that I'm convinced god simply just hates me. In my career as a hockey fan, I'm a whopping 0-27 at home games. Swear on everything that isn't exaggerated one bit. Year after year I try. Year after year, game after game, I SWEAR this one will be the one I finally get to see a win! But nope. Never comes. 27 games and not once has it come. So know what I did? I didn't go once this year. Didn't go once. I knew we had something good so I was too terrified to go. Seriously. That's how psychologically damaged I am. I'm actually at the point now of being terrified of going.

So trust me, seeing 2 playoff wins would be a fantasy for me.
This is unbelievable. 27 games over how many years?

Old
05-01-2012, 01:33 AM
IAMREALITY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Militia View Post
yea if every game has a 50/50 chance of winning, the odds of going 0-27 is 1 in 134,217,728.

now that's some bad luck.
I only go once or twice a year, and I've been told that's my problem. It's like I always choose the one or two games we're sure to lose or something. I'm no good at statistics though. Does being spotty like that as opposed to say a bunch of games a year make the odds any different or technically the same, since it's 50-50 no matter how often I go? I'm kinda curious.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:33 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
This is unbelievable. 27 games over how many years?
23 years now lol. Really 24 but I didn't go this year so I don't count it. I guess I should subtract the lockout year too, so that would be 22 seasons I guess.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:37 AM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Not once. Ever. It's why I look to the heavens each time and say "are you friggin kidding me?? Again???".

I've thought about the buying a block of home games in a row (not all 41, mind you, but a good chunk) but it's tough to do as a single dad to two young boys. But someone else told me all I have to do is get one win and the cycle is broken. I want to know what it feels like to celebrate a win at the Garden... To see the salute...

What's worse, is that not only have I gone 0-27, but the overwhelming majority of those games were ones in which we didn't just lose, but played mediocre at best giving the crowd little to cheer at. This is the first year since I started liking the Rangers at the age of 13 that I didn't even go to one game. I came so close to pulling the trigger this year because of how well we were doing, but I kept thinking no, that'll be the one game we lose etc. I literally fear going now, because I feel like one more time with one more loss would just make my head explode. It's hard to explain. Hell, the streak is hard to explain.

The funniest part to me is that I first made light of it when I was about 22, and my streak got to 0-10. It was beyond believable then, and I vividly remember conversations in my old party house, stoned off my ass, saying how there's no way it could go on much longer and that I know we'll win one of the next couple games I go to. Fast forward 14 years later and I'm approaching 0-30. I should probably call Guinness at this point, and see if MSG doesn't keep some record somewhere (or ticketmaster) of all the tickets I've purchased to corroborate lol.
This is unreal. Man. I feel for ya. I have an opposite kind of streak...I've been to about 13 games since the lockout (all but two at the Garden) and they've won every time. I need to go to more games but I don't live close to NY anymore.

What if we both went to the same game? Something would have to give.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:40 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
This is unreal. Man. I feel for ya. I have an opposite kind of streak...I've been to about 13 games since the lockout (all but two at the Garden) and they've won every time. I need to go to more games but I don't live close to NY anymore.

What if we both went to the same game? Something would have to give.
If it's one thing I've learned in life, it's that just about every single time bad luck is pit against good luck, bad luck wins out lol.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:46 AM
nyrfan519

Quote:
If it's one thing I've learned in life, it's that just about every single time bad luck is pit against good luck, bad luck wins out lol.
Well then I guess the next time I plan on going to a game I'll have to make sure you're not going.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:58 AM
NHL94com*

Do you think we're gonna win this series against Washington?

I'm really depressed right now. It is going to be torture until Wednesday, I want them to play game 3 right now! And if they lose game 3, it will be THREE DAYS until game 4. Do you think the Rangers will win this series? I was so angry tonight with all the mistakes, bad calls, and freakin goal posts. Infuriating game especially since we outplayed them by so much.

I CANT STAND THE THOUGHT OF LOSING TO THIS TEAM FOR THE THIRD TIME IN FOUR YEARS and after Ovechkin scored on that BOGUS PENALTY he did that little Hulk Hogan thing, putting his hand to his ear. THAT GOT ME SO MAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Please offer me some assurance that we will win this thing PLEASE. I'm scared by the time we come back to NY we will be down 3 games to 1.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:00 AM
Metal Militia

Quote:
I only go once or twice a year, and I've been told that's my problem. It's like I always choose the one or two games we're sure to lose or something. I'm no good at statistics though. Does being spotty like that as opposed to say a bunch of games a year make the odds any different or technically the same, since it's 50-50 no matter how often I go? I'm kinda curious.
going to games randomly shouldn't change the odds unless you're only going to see games against better opponents. that would drop the rangers win rate below 50%.

but even in that case, the odds would still be crazy. 1 in many many millions for sure.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:01 AM
McDunna with Fries

Relax bro, this is a different team than the ones in years past. It's also just one loss, a loss where the team played pretty damn well with a few bad mistakes that cost us the game. A bounce here or a bounce there could have been a result of a Ranger blowout instead of a Caps win. We aren't playing bad hockey.

Also why does this get a new thread.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Rangers1985

Chill. There are 5 games left. Given our resume this season, yes I think we will, and im sure most/everyone else is with me on it.

No doubt, it sucks to lose, especially to them, cause of the history, but you gotta take it day by day.

Ill flip out if its Game 7.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:12 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

2 botched plays and 2 questionable calls and it's game over.

FYI we only lost by 1 goal (and 2 of them were freebies)

Old
05-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

I'm not selling a bridge, but I'll sell you tickets to jump off the george washington bridge if we lose.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:21 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
I'm not selling a bridge, but I'll sell you tickets to jump off the george washington bridge if we lose.
I'd buy tickets to watch

Old
05-01-2012, 02:23 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL94com View Post
I'm really depressed right now. It is going to be torture until Wednesday, I want them to play game 3 right now! And if they lose game 3, it will be THREE DAYS until game 4. Do you think the Rangers will win this series? I was so angry tonight with all the mistakes, bad calls, and freakin goal posts. Infuriating game especially since we outplayed them by so much.

I CANT STAND THE THOUGHT OF LOSING TO THIS TEAM FOR THE THIRD TIME IN FOUR YEARS and after Ovechkin scored on that BOGUS PENALTY he did that little Hulk Hogan thing, putting his hand to his ear. THAT GOT ME SO MAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Please offer me some assurance that we will win this thing PLEASE. I'm scared by the time we come back to NY we will be down 3 games to 1.
Unfortunately I can't offer you the one thing you need... A backbone...

Old
05-01-2012, 02:30 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

The series is tied up at one, Richie's scoring, Kreider looks really good, Prust and Fedetenko are doing their jobs well, the defense has been strong against AO, Backstrom and Semin, Lundqvist has made some huge saves already, Callahan's becoming a factor in this series, Boyle returned and played a great game, Anisimov has had 3 good scoring chances through 2 games on the 4th line, the defense is activating at all the right times, MDZ had a post and a crossbar tonight.

Gaborik has struggled, Hagelin hasn't become a factor yet, the PP hasn't gotten going. I don't expect all 3 of those things to remain the same. And let's face it, any one of those gets going and that's the difference we need.

The identity is there through two games, hard grinding, forcing turnovers, solid defense, outstanding goaltending.

Not really much to gripe about, or get down on the team about. If we don't win it's because Washington really turned it on, not because the wheels fell off our playoff run.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:34 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Statistically, unless one team is a HUGE favorite (like > 70%), the most likely outcome of 2 teams playing 2 games is each team winning one game.

So you're basically complaining that the most likely outcome occurred in the first two games.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:51 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

I do, and I think it will be with us taking the next 3 straight to be honest. I don't normally say things like that, simply because Im generally the glass is half empty. But, with what I saw tonight, I have full confidence in us taking this series. We have dominated them in play for long stretches. Unlike Ottawa, they cant handle our speed, and forecheck. They don't have the horses to match, and their D wont handle our forecheck through this series. I suppose they could take 1 more and make it 6 games, but Im not betting on it.

Old
05-01-2012, 03:09 AM
NHL94com*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
I do, and I think it will be with us taking the next 3 straight to be honest. I don't normally say things like that, simply because Im generally the glass is half empty. But, with what I saw tonight, I have full confidence in us taking this series. We have dominated them in play for long stretches. Unlike Ottawa, they cant handle our speed, and forecheck. They don't have the horses to match, and their D wont handle our forecheck through this series. I suppose they could take 1 more and make it 6 games, but Im not betting on it.

Thanks man I feel better after reading your post. I would be thrilled to just win ONE of the next 2 in Washington. The thing that bothers me tonight is we lost home ice advantage. I really wanted to have that 2-0 series lead this time. It took EVERYTHING WE HAD to win game 3 against Ottawa and I'm just nervous that thats what its going to take now to win one in Washington.

I just dont wanna come back to NY down 3-1. I'd be thrilled if we could just win 1 there, but obviously 2 would be ideal.

The thought of losing to this team again sickens me to my stomach. What worries me is they beat the champs (Boston) and now we've given them life. We simply MUST win the next game or we will be facing HUGE PRESSURE come game 4.

Old
05-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Rangers1985

I think theyre going to play very well in DC. Theyve played great on the road this year.

Less pressure sometimes not being in front of the fans.

Old
05-01-2012, 03:10 AM
NHL94com*

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't offer you the one thing you need... A backbone...
Man, if anything I have TOO MUCH BACKBONE. I was slamming the radio to pieces tonight, cursing like a sailor over text to my friends, etc. The "one thing I need" is anger management, not backbone LOL.

Old
05-01-2012, 03:14 AM
nyr5186

For all the talk about blaming this game on the refs on the bad Richards call (and yes, it was a bad call), let's not forget that we caught a huge break on Gaborik's no-call boarding earlier in the game. Refs aren't perfect. It's a tough game to officiate.

I thought we played well. Could have won. Caps took advantage of a few gaffes on our part. Holtby played well. This is a very good Washington team that we arguably outplayed but still lost to.

If we play like this in game three I think we take it.

Old
05-01-2012, 03:19 AM
Rangers1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL94com View Post
Man, if anything I have TOO MUCH BACKBONE. I was slamming the radio to pieces tonight, cursing like a sailor over text to my friends, etc. The "one thing I need" is anger management, not backbone LOL.

Im the same way. This team frustrates me to the point of breaking stuff.

Some call it idiotic, I call it passion. Or you can call me Amare Stoudemire.

Old
05-01-2012, 03:41 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
For all the talk about blaming this game on the refs on the bad Richards call (and yes, it was a bad call), let's not forget that we caught a huge break on Gaborik's no-call boarding earlier in the game. Refs aren't perfect. It's a tough game to officiate.

I thought we played well. Could have won. Caps took advantage of a few gaffes on our part. Holtby played well. This is a very good Washington team that we arguably outplayed but still lost to.

If we play like this in game three I think we take it.
I think we also caught a break when Kreider drew the tripping penalty. Replays showed he wasn't touched.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:41 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

yes I think NY is going to win the series. Unlike the Sens, NY is carrying the play so far.

The absolutely crushing hits on the caps defense indicates that their blueline is not clearing the puck as swiftly as Ottawa did.

Green alone was rocked so many times I actually felt sorry for him when he was whistled for tripping Kreider. How many of those bone jarring, glass rattling hits can they absorb before they get gun shy ?

My guess is if this keeps up by game 4 NY will be able to cycle at will and washington will look to score on the counter play.

as long as the refs don't decide things otherwise this is NY's series to lose

Closed Thread