HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs. Rangers, Game 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2012, 01:32 AM
  #251
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,727
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Pshaw!!!!! And that gets you down? That's nuttin. I have probably the all time longest losing streak that defies odds to such a degree that I'm convinced god simply just hates me. In my career as a hockey fan, I'm a whopping 0-27 at home games. Swear on everything that isn't exaggerated one bit. Year after year I try. Year after year, game after game, I SWEAR this one will be the one I finally get to see a win! But nope. Never comes. 27 games and not once has it come. So know what I did? I didn't go once this year. Didn't go once. I knew we had something good so I was too terrified to go. Seriously. That's how psychologically damaged I am. I'm actually at the point now of being terrified of going.

So trust me, seeing 2 playoff wins would be a fantasy for me.
This is unbelievable. 27 games over how many years?

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 01:33 AM
  #252
IAMREALITY
Registered User
 
IAMREALITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Militia View Post
yea if every game has a 50/50 chance of winning, the odds of going 0-27 is 1 in 134,217,728.

now that's some bad luck.
I only go once or twice a year, and I've been told that's my problem. It's like I always choose the one or two games we're sure to lose or something. I'm no good at statistics though. Does being spotty like that as opposed to say a bunch of games a year make the odds any different or technically the same, since it's 50-50 no matter how often I go? I'm kinda curious.

IAMREALITY is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 01:33 AM
  #253
IAMREALITY
Registered User
 
IAMREALITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
This is unbelievable. 27 games over how many years?
23 years now lol. Really 24 but I didn't go this year so I don't count it. I guess I should subtract the lockout year too, so that would be 22 seasons I guess.

IAMREALITY is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 01:37 AM
  #254
nyrfan519
Registered User
 
nyrfan519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Not once. Ever. It's why I look to the heavens each time and say "are you friggin kidding me?? Again???".

I've thought about the buying a block of home games in a row (not all 41, mind you, but a good chunk) but it's tough to do as a single dad to two young boys. But someone else told me all I have to do is get one win and the cycle is broken. I want to know what it feels like to celebrate a win at the Garden... To see the salute...

What's worse, is that not only have I gone 0-27, but the overwhelming majority of those games were ones in which we didn't just lose, but played mediocre at best giving the crowd little to cheer at. This is the first year since I started liking the Rangers at the age of 13 that I didn't even go to one game. I came so close to pulling the trigger this year because of how well we were doing, but I kept thinking no, that'll be the one game we lose etc. I literally fear going now, because I feel like one more time with one more loss would just make my head explode. It's hard to explain. Hell, the streak is hard to explain.

The funniest part to me is that I first made light of it when I was about 22, and my streak got to 0-10. It was beyond believable then, and I vividly remember conversations in my old party house, stoned off my ass, saying how there's no way it could go on much longer and that I know we'll win one of the next couple games I go to. Fast forward 14 years later and I'm approaching 0-30. I should probably call Guinness at this point, and see if MSG doesn't keep some record somewhere (or ticketmaster) of all the tickets I've purchased to corroborate lol.
This is unreal. Man. I feel for ya. I have an opposite kind of streak...I've been to about 13 games since the lockout (all but two at the Garden) and they've won every time. I need to go to more games but I don't live close to NY anymore.

What if we both went to the same game? Something would have to give.

nyrfan519 is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 01:40 AM
  #255
IAMREALITY
Registered User
 
IAMREALITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
This is unreal. Man. I feel for ya. I have an opposite kind of streak...I've been to about 13 games since the lockout (all but two at the Garden) and they've won every time. I need to go to more games but I don't live close to NY anymore.

What if we both went to the same game? Something would have to give.
If it's one thing I've learned in life, it's that just about every single time bad luck is pit against good luck, bad luck wins out lol.

IAMREALITY is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 01:46 AM
  #256
nyrfan519
Registered User
 
nyrfan519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
If it's one thing I've learned in life, it's that just about every single time bad luck is pit against good luck, bad luck wins out lol.
Well then I guess the next time I plan on going to a game I'll have to make sure you're not going.

nyrfan519 is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 01:58 AM
  #257
NHL94com*
 
NHL94com*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Do you think we're gonna win this series against Washington?

I'm really depressed right now. It is going to be torture until Wednesday, I want them to play game 3 right now! And if they lose game 3, it will be THREE DAYS until game 4. Do you think the Rangers will win this series? I was so angry tonight with all the mistakes, bad calls, and freakin goal posts. Infuriating game especially since we outplayed them by so much.

I CANT STAND THE THOUGHT OF LOSING TO THIS TEAM FOR THE THIRD TIME IN FOUR YEARS and after Ovechkin scored on that BOGUS PENALTY he did that little Hulk Hogan thing, putting his hand to his ear. THAT GOT ME SO MAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Please offer me some assurance that we will win this thing PLEASE. I'm scared by the time we come back to NY we will be down 3 games to 1.

NHL94com* is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:00 AM
  #258
Metal Militia
Registered User
 
Metal Militia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
I only go once or twice a year, and I've been told that's my problem. It's like I always choose the one or two games we're sure to lose or something. I'm no good at statistics though. Does being spotty like that as opposed to say a bunch of games a year make the odds any different or technically the same, since it's 50-50 no matter how often I go? I'm kinda curious.
going to games randomly shouldn't change the odds unless you're only going to see games against better opponents. that would drop the rangers win rate below 50%.

but even in that case, the odds would still be crazy. 1 in many many millions for sure.

Metal Militia is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:01 AM
  #259
McDunna with Fries
Registered User
 
McDunna with Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Relax bro, this is a different team than the ones in years past. It's also just one loss, a loss where the team played pretty damn well with a few bad mistakes that cost us the game. A bounce here or a bounce there could have been a result of a Ranger blowout instead of a Caps win. We aren't playing bad hockey.

Also why does this get a new thread.

McDunna with Fries is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:02 AM
  #260
Rangers1985
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: HIJACKED
Posts: 685
vCash: 500
Chill. There are 5 games left. Given our resume this season, yes I think we will, and im sure most/everyone else is with me on it.

No doubt, it sucks to lose, especially to them, cause of the history, but you gotta take it day by day.

Ill flip out if its Game 7.

Rangers1985 is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:12 AM
  #261
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
2 botched plays and 2 questionable calls and it's game over.

FYI we only lost by 1 goal (and 2 of them were freebies)

Kreider Typical is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:17 AM
  #262
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
I'm not selling a bridge, but I'll sell you tickets to jump off the george washington bridge if we lose.

Hockey Team is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:21 AM
  #263
McDunna with Fries
Registered User
 
McDunna with Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
I'm not selling a bridge, but I'll sell you tickets to jump off the george washington bridge if we lose.
I'd buy tickets to watch

McDunna with Fries is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:23 AM
  #264
IAMREALITY
Registered User
 
IAMREALITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL94com View Post
I'm really depressed right now. It is going to be torture until Wednesday, I want them to play game 3 right now! And if they lose game 3, it will be THREE DAYS until game 4. Do you think the Rangers will win this series? I was so angry tonight with all the mistakes, bad calls, and freakin goal posts. Infuriating game especially since we outplayed them by so much.

I CANT STAND THE THOUGHT OF LOSING TO THIS TEAM FOR THE THIRD TIME IN FOUR YEARS and after Ovechkin scored on that BOGUS PENALTY he did that little Hulk Hogan thing, putting his hand to his ear. THAT GOT ME SO MAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Please offer me some assurance that we will win this thing PLEASE. I'm scared by the time we come back to NY we will be down 3 games to 1.
Unfortunately I can't offer you the one thing you need... A backbone...

IAMREALITY is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:30 AM
  #265
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks
 
SlingshotVv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,499
vCash: 500
The series is tied up at one, Richie's scoring, Kreider looks really good, Prust and Fedetenko are doing their jobs well, the defense has been strong against AO, Backstrom and Semin, Lundqvist has made some huge saves already, Callahan's becoming a factor in this series, Boyle returned and played a great game, Anisimov has had 3 good scoring chances through 2 games on the 4th line, the defense is activating at all the right times, MDZ had a post and a crossbar tonight.

Gaborik has struggled, Hagelin hasn't become a factor yet, the PP hasn't gotten going. I don't expect all 3 of those things to remain the same. And let's face it, any one of those gets going and that's the difference we need.

The identity is there through two games, hard grinding, forcing turnovers, solid defense, outstanding goaltending.

Not really much to gripe about, or get down on the team about. If we don't win it's because Washington really turned it on, not because the wheels fell off our playoff run.

SlingshotVv is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:34 AM
  #266
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
Statistically, unless one team is a HUGE favorite (like > 70%), the most likely outcome of 2 teams playing 2 games is each team winning one game.

So you're basically complaining that the most likely outcome occurred in the first two games.

Hockey Team is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:51 AM
  #267
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,575
vCash: 500
I do, and I think it will be with us taking the next 3 straight to be honest. I don't normally say things like that, simply because Im generally the glass is half empty. But, with what I saw tonight, I have full confidence in us taking this series. We have dominated them in play for long stretches. Unlike Ottawa, they cant handle our speed, and forecheck. They don't have the horses to match, and their D wont handle our forecheck through this series. I suppose they could take 1 more and make it 6 games, but Im not betting on it.

MrEctions is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 03:09 AM
  #268
NHL94com*
 
NHL94com*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
I do, and I think it will be with us taking the next 3 straight to be honest. I don't normally say things like that, simply because Im generally the glass is half empty. But, with what I saw tonight, I have full confidence in us taking this series. We have dominated them in play for long stretches. Unlike Ottawa, they cant handle our speed, and forecheck. They don't have the horses to match, and their D wont handle our forecheck through this series. I suppose they could take 1 more and make it 6 games, but Im not betting on it.

Thanks man I feel better after reading your post. I would be thrilled to just win ONE of the next 2 in Washington. The thing that bothers me tonight is we lost home ice advantage. I really wanted to have that 2-0 series lead this time. It took EVERYTHING WE HAD to win game 3 against Ottawa and I'm just nervous that thats what its going to take now to win one in Washington.

I just dont wanna come back to NY down 3-1. I'd be thrilled if we could just win 1 there, but obviously 2 would be ideal.

The thought of losing to this team again sickens me to my stomach. What worries me is they beat the champs (Boston) and now we've given them life. We simply MUST win the next game or we will be facing HUGE PRESSURE come game 4.

NHL94com* is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 03:09 AM
  #269
Rangers1985
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: HIJACKED
Posts: 685
vCash: 500
I think theyre going to play very well in DC. Theyve played great on the road this year.

Less pressure sometimes not being in front of the fans.

Rangers1985 is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 03:10 AM
  #270
NHL94com*
 
NHL94com*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Unfortunately I can't offer you the one thing you need... A backbone...
Man, if anything I have TOO MUCH BACKBONE. I was slamming the radio to pieces tonight, cursing like a sailor over text to my friends, etc. The "one thing I need" is anger management, not backbone LOL.

NHL94com* is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 03:14 AM
  #271
nyr5186
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans
Country: Madagascar
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
For all the talk about blaming this game on the refs on the bad Richards call (and yes, it was a bad call), let's not forget that we caught a huge break on Gaborik's no-call boarding earlier in the game. Refs aren't perfect. It's a tough game to officiate.

I thought we played well. Could have won. Caps took advantage of a few gaffes on our part. Holtby played well. This is a very good Washington team that we arguably outplayed but still lost to.

If we play like this in game three I think we take it.

nyr5186 is online now  
Old
05-01-2012, 03:19 AM
  #272
Rangers1985
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: HIJACKED
Posts: 685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL94com View Post
Man, if anything I have TOO MUCH BACKBONE. I was slamming the radio to pieces tonight, cursing like a sailor over text to my friends, etc. The "one thing I need" is anger management, not backbone LOL.

Im the same way. This team frustrates me to the point of breaking stuff.

Some call it idiotic, I call it passion. Or you can call me Amare Stoudemire.

Rangers1985 is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 03:41 AM
  #273
McDunna with Fries
Registered User
 
McDunna with Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
For all the talk about blaming this game on the refs on the bad Richards call (and yes, it was a bad call), let's not forget that we caught a huge break on Gaborik's no-call boarding earlier in the game. Refs aren't perfect. It's a tough game to officiate.

I thought we played well. Could have won. Caps took advantage of a few gaffes on our part. Holtby played well. This is a very good Washington team that we arguably outplayed but still lost to.

If we play like this in game three I think we take it.
I think we also caught a break when Kreider drew the tripping penalty. Replays showed he wasn't touched.

McDunna with Fries is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 04:41 AM
  #275
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck
 
donpaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: nihon
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
yes I think NY is going to win the series. Unlike the Sens, NY is carrying the play so far.

The absolutely crushing hits on the caps defense indicates that their blueline is not clearing the puck as swiftly as Ottawa did.

Green alone was rocked so many times I actually felt sorry for him when he was whistled for tripping Kreider. How many of those bone jarring, glass rattling hits can they absorb before they get gun shy ?

My guess is if this keeps up by game 4 NY will be able to cycle at will and washington will look to score on the counter play.




as long as the refs don't decide things otherwise this is NY's series to lose

donpaulo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.