HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Luongo To Toronto? Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2012, 10:24 AM
The Messenger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgtml67 View Post
Dear God man...wake up he never ever wanted Hedman...it was all tavares everyone knew he was trying to get him ...and burke admitted on several interviews since then he could have traded up to get him but chose not to, more recently he stated it was schenn and our 1st.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Your wrong. Will get back with a source.
Here ya go: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...g_trade_talks/

How you read Burke turned down John Tavares is beyond me. This all started with your post # 982 "we could have had Johnny T"

Last edited by The Messenger: 04-29-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old
04-29-2012, 10:39 AM
toronto murphy laws

All I did was bring up the hilarious article from Simmons saying we won't get Lu because we didn't offer sheet Stamkos.

I echo Roger's question to Canucks/Leafs fans: What would Tampa be able to offer?

We keep hearing how they are the best possible suitors, but Vancouver needs D and I don't think they'd be able to offer much outside of Hedman (who they won't move). We have a plethora of NHL ready D-men that we could ship their way. Also, Tampa's contract situation already leaves a lot to be desired even before adding Luongo's giant 10 year burden.

Last edited by crump: 04-29-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Mod abuse
Old
04-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto murphy laws View Post

All I did was bring up the hilarious article from Simmons saying we won't get Lu because we didn't offer sheet Stamkos.

I echo Roger's question to Canucks/Leafs fans: What would Tampa be able to offer?

We keep hearing how they are the best possible suitors, but Vancouver needs D and I don't think they'd be able to offer much outside of Hedman (who they won't move). We have a plethora of NHL ready D-men that we could ship their way. Also, Tampa's contract situation already leaves a lot to be desired even before adding Luongo's giant 10 year burden.

VAN needs more than D. They need more top 6 grit and net presence (who doesn't) as much as they need to re-think the back end. Its not simply a goalie for defence or nothing scenario. and even if that was the case, a package of Purcell and maybe Ohlund could make sense to both sides. Many have suggested Malone, which could happen, but thats just one scenario. Whoever lands LU it will most likely be for a cap hit plus an asset. Gillis won't totally get fleeced, but he needs to make concessions to get out from under the Luongo contract.

Last edited by crump: 04-29-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old
04-29-2012, 11:11 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Kesler isn't really a #1, but still highly effective and would be a solid addition to the team.

Big, great defensively, great on PK and in the circle. If there's a trade for the #5 pick for Kesler, I would strongly consider it.

I would do the pick if Galchenyuk is already selected during that time, but regardless I don't see Vancouver moving Kesler, it doesn't make sense for them.
I would take Kesler in a heartbeat. 27 years old, signed for 2.5 million less than Nash, PP, PK, and has two 70+ pt seasons under his belt with scrubs for linemates most of the time. I give him a 90%chance of scoring 70+ again between Kessel and Lupul and I think that would be a very tough line to play against. Check out the guy's stats for Hits, FO%, and TkA. Kesler, Clowe, Moen, plus a big body or two from the Marlies and this would be a Carlyle club. What are the real chances that Galchenyuk becomes a 75pt player in the NHL? If the collective braintrust of the clubs selecting 2-3-4 thought he was likely to do that, doesn't it seem like one of them would snap him up. I like the guy and I hate to see the future dealt away but this is hardly the Kessel deal. How much better than 75 pts can Galch possibly be? For you not to make a Kesler deal you have to be assuming Galch has a VERY strong possiblity of 80+ pts.

With the Sedin's now at 32 and Hodgson moved, I can't see Kesler being moved, because they don't have anyone high end to fill the spot. Just a bad move unless he is feuding with the twins or simply wants out. From a TO perspective, of the possible savior scenarios, with Staal, Luongo, or Nash, getting Kesler might actually do what they need it to do.

Old
04-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Dark Crusader
Rookie User

are you nuts!

Old
04-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Dark Crusader
Rookie User

this is absolutely 100% correct! We can't keep mortgaging the future on worn out players. It's called Development! Let's quit trying to give away our young guys!

Old
04-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Dark Crusader
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Vancouver's asking price for Luongo will be outrageous. He is not even that great anyway and his contract would really weigh the team down with his cap hit and all those years.

You have to look at it like this, if he could not succeed with a team like the Canucks in front of him, then he won't get the job done here in Toronto with a weaker team.
Good call!

Old
04-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Dark Crusader
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Churla View Post
Halak is a good goalie but there's no way he's better than Luongo. He had an outstanding season in montreal in the playoffs but pretty much lost favor in Hitchcocks eyes to Elliot this year. Toronto needs Luongo badly and they are going to have to put in a solid offer because the concensus is that he'll be a Lightning.

It's going to take Toronto's 1st & Komisarek to get Luongo
If Halak is in net for Vancouver last year, Cannucks beat Boston in 5 and take the cup home!

We fired Wilson. We can fire Burke. Louongo would not stand a chance. The fans would demand sooooo much here from a guy making 6 million a year. In Vancouver, he's a very expensive bench warmer.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Dark Crusader
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
McKenzie just said on the TSN panel that he thinks the Leafs will end up with Luongo
McKenzie was joking! Asking price for Lou is Phil Kessel, Jake Gartiner and a player to be named later.

That was also a joke.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:29 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

okay then this thread is done and has totally gone in another direction.

if you wish to continue on with loungo talk, go to the speculations thread.