HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov general discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

vCash: 500
Unless Yakupov gets us a proven first line center or a proven #1 dman, forget about it.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:03 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
the only way I would trade Yakupov is if the oilers got a grand slam in return

something like
Number 5, Schenn and Kadri--I know I will get flammed by some

At 5 we take Murrey

That trade addresses the biggest issues the oilers have. Overhauls the D and gives us another top FW
I wouldn't consider that a grand slam. Taken from a post I made in the trade forum thread.

Since 2000:

Year 1st Overall 5th Overall 5th + Schenn + Kadri > 1st?
2000 Rick DiPietro Raffi Torres Yes
2001 Ilya Kovalchuk Stanislav Chistov No
2002 Rick Nash Ryan Whitney No
2003 Marc-Andre Fleury Thomas Vanek Yes
2004 Alexander Ovechkin Blake Wheeler No
2005 Sidney Crosby Carey Price No
2006 Erik Johnson Phil Kessel Yes
2007 Patrick Kane Karl Alzner Maybe
2008 Steven Stamkos Luke Schenn No
2009 John Tavares Brayden Schenn No
2010 Taylor Hall Nino Niederreiter No

Is Yakupov more like Kovalchuk, Nash, Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, and Hall or DiPietro, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Erik Johnson?

Old
05-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Solid post 5rings ^^^

I think I know what this is. We're all so bored and have nothing to talk about besides keeping the pick or talking about some ridiculous rumors about trading the pick. We all know we want to keep it, and we all know Tambo/Lowe do as well. We're just saying stuff to say stuff--doesn't mean a thing.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I wouldn't consider that a grand slam. Taken from a post I made in the trade forum thread.

Since 2000:

Year 1st Overall 5th Overall 5th + Schenn + Kadri > 1st?
2000 Rick DiPietro Raffi Torres Yes
2001 Ilya Kovalchuk Stanislav Chistov No
2002 Rick Nash Ryan Whitney No
2003 Marc-Andre Fleury Thomas Vanek Yes
2004 Alexander Ovechkin Blake Wheeler No
2005 Sidney Crosby Carey Price No
2006 Erik Johnson Phil Kessel Yes
2007 Patrick Kane Karl Alzner Maybe
2008 Steven Stamkos Luke Schenn No
2009 John Tavares Brayden Schenn No
2010 Taylor Hall Nino Niederreiter No

Is Yakupov more like Kovalchuk, Nash, Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, and Hall or DiPietro, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Erik Johnson?
I realize Patrick Kane had a bit of an off-year ... but Kane vs. Alzner is not even close. Kane already has had several 70+ point seasons, is not only a Cup winner, but scored the game winning goal to win the Cup. But yes, obviously I agree with your general point.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:08 AM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:

something like

At 5 we take Murrey

That trade addresses the biggest issues the oilers have. Overhauls the D and gives us another top FW
Nazem Kadri is a top forward? Murray will definitely be available at #5?

Schenn is part of a defensive overhaul??

Old
05-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

Schenn was a healthy scratch at least one time last season.

My God, how TO overrates their players.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:17 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I realize Patrick Kane had a bit of an off-year ... but Kane vs. Alzner is not even close. Kane already has had several 70+ point seasons, is not only a Cup winner, but scored the game winning goal to win the Cup. But yes, obviously I agree with your general point.
The final column is Alzner + Schenn + Kadri. I thought that would be worth Kane.

But it's interesting that if I had a column for 1st overall vs 5th overall straight up it wouldn't be that different from 1st overall vs 5th overall + Schenn + Kadri. There are massive differences in value with these 1st overall picks.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Qrispy

Quote:

something like

At 5 we take Murrey

You call that a grand slam?

Old
05-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:

something like

At 5 we take Murrey

Schenn is garbage. Kadri isnt an NHL'er. Doubt anyone of real significance is there at 5. Oilers' stable is full with good D-prospects but they're still lacking depth in their scoring ranks. They could still use more skill and size. Leafs are about the last team I'd want them to trade with, they literally have no one that interests me outside of Gardiner.

Also, Gregor saying the Oilers would have to add to their first overall pic in a trade for Staal is crazy talk, but that's just Gregor sometimes, trying to stir **** up.

Last edited by Philly85: 05-01-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old
05-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Magnus

Glad to see the conversation is steering back to the rational. I have yet to see a proposed trade that would be even close to be what would be needed to get the 1st overall. The offers rumoured involving Toronto and Montreal are brutal. Toronto has pretty much nothing worth trading for and unless Montreal is offering Pacioretty +, then again, I don't see trading down as worth it. Otherwise, Unless Philly is offering Couturier or some other similar young player is coming back, I wouldn't even consider it. Yakupov has the same potential Hall or RNH has. Murray, while a good prospect, I don't see having anywhere near that potential.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
Unless Yakupov gets us a proven first line center or a proven #1 dman, forget about it.
Pretty much. I would require something like Shea Weber's agent to personally call Tambo and tell him how his client is dying to play for the Oilers and can't wait to sign a 7 seven year contract with them at a reasonable rate but that the only sticking point is Nashville owns his rights and won't take anything less than Yak in return. And even then I would try like hell to talk Poile into taking some else instead of Yak before finally pulling the trigger on that deal.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:01 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Gregor peed me off today, I let him know with a long juicy flaming hate-mail.
Staal for any 1st overall of the past ten years besides dipietro is absolutely nonsense..do these radio guys know anything about hockey or are they just stirring crap up for the sake of it?

Its funny, last year all these so called "experts" were talking on the radio about how when ur drafting that high u should always draft BPA..this year everybody in the edmonton area media has gone all draft for needs!

Im damn scared that tambullina thinks like Gregor..

Old
05-01-2012, 01:16 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:

something like

At 5 we take Murrey

Old
05-01-2012, 01:25 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

unless you absolutely fleece a desperate team for a guy BETTER than what Yakupov will be in a few years...there's absolutely no way you trade this pick. It's a #1 overall pick! It's practically unfathomable.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:30 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Glad to see the conversation is steering back to the rational. I have yet to see a proposed trade that would be even close to be what would be needed to get the 1st overall. The offers rumoured involving Toronto and Montreal are brutal. Toronto has pretty much nothing worth trading for and unless Montreal is offering Pacioretty +, then again, I don't see trading down as worth it. Otherwise, Unless Philly is offering Couturier or some other similar young player is coming back, I wouldn't even consider it. Yakupov has the same potential Hall or RNH has. Murray, while a good prospect, I don't see having anywhere near that potential.
I've been saying pretty much the exact same thing as you just did about Toronto and Mtl (in the previous thread), and i'm now tying to stay out of the trade proposal BS since there are only so many ways to tell people to f.o.a.d. Both of those teams were barely ahead of us in the standings and yet we're to believe their dmen (and Kadri) are worth Yakupov? Ptttt

As far as the Gregor proposal, he has shown how much he knows about hockey with that one, and all i can say about that proposal is f.o.a.d. Must be trying to get attention again, there is no way anybody can be serious about Staal for Yak. I'll take Yak for 3 cheap years over Staal at 5+/year any day.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:57 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
I get that questions are raised with him being Russian, but what I never hear is that:

At age 16, he picked up, left home without speaking much English and chose to play in Canada. Not only does this show some serious desire to get to the NHL, if anyone has lived alone in a place where they don't speak the language, they will know this takes some serious stones to do this, particularly as a teenager. At 16 to choose to come to do this shows more character than playing tough or playing hurt IMO.
They do teach English in Russian schools though. It is the most popular foreign language to learn. Problem is there is not much to practice with there.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:01 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Gregor thinks that we'd have to add to the 1st overall for Staal? That's ridiculous. 1 year left before he's an UFA and he commands the 1st overall +? Yeah, someone either didn't do their homework or they want to stir the pot, and that's being nice.

05-01-2012, 05:03 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:

something like

At 5 we take Murrey

You say grand slam, I say line drive to the nuts. That would be a TERRIBLE deal for 1st overall.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:07 AM
Nail and Nuge

Seems like an unusually off-line comment made by Gregor. I am a big fan of his, and usually can find the logic in what he is saying.

This time? Jordan Staal?

Not so much.

I agree with BryanBryoil: Line drive...straight to the nuts.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:17 AM
oilphan

Quote:

something like

At 5 we take Murrey

If our biggest issues are needing another good AHL forward, having another #7 Dman, and drafting another player with a 10% chance of being a top pairing D-man, then you are right...this trade solves our issues.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:52 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I've wanted Yakupov on the Oilers for the last 2 years ever since I saw him play for the first time. All the talk this year about team needs... top dman or #2 centre... I participated in those discussions and threw my two bits in because it looked as though they were in the running for a late lotto pick at best and no chance at #1.

Galchenyuk/Grigorenko vs Murray/Dumba (and 3 or 4 other dmen in the conversation as well) was discussed endlessly... but all along... several times I said the best case scenario and the dead easy choice was just simply winning the lottery and picking the clear BPA... Yakupov.

I have ZERO doubt in my mind he's EASILY the best pick of the last THREE drafts... and if really pushed I would say he could be as good as Stamkos but that's greedy to compare him at this point to a 60 goal scorer.

Only time will tell that tale of course... but honestly this guy is golden. Watch him play and perform. He's got "IT". Not every decent prospect has that special factor... he DOES.

Trade this guy away at your peril Tamblowe. The guy will be dynamite on this team and give them scoring depth that they absolutely DO NOT HAVE and that they desperately NEED.

I don't care if people say I'm over-hyping him. He's the BPA and it's not close. It's scary that he'll get even better and he already has one of the best shots I've seen and he's not even in the NHL yet.

Other teams and scouts can rank and rate him anywhere they want to. I've seen him and know he's the real deal. Take him and be grateful he's here to score for the Oilers for many years to come. Trade him and watch him get 50+ goals for another team.

Yes there are a few players that might be worth trading him for... a signed Weber... and a few other "untradeables". Forget all that.. just pick the guy and watch him gel with the rest of the youth movement on the Oilers.

This is the pick of destiny. You don't win 3 #1 picks in a row... against all odds... and then go screw that up by NOT picking the clear BPA every damned time. Fate has given the Oilers this pick on their plate... they crap on this and they deserve what they get.

Old
05-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I've wanted Yakupov on the Oilers for the last 2 years ever since I saw him play for the first time. All the talk this year about team needs... top dman or #2 centre... I participated in those discussions and threw my two bits in because it looked as though they were in the running for a late lotto pick at best and no chance at #1.

Galchenyuk/Grigorenko vs Murray/Dumba (and 3 or 4 other dmen in the conversation as well) was discussed endlessly... but all along... several times I said the best case scenario and the dead easy choice was just simply winning the lottery and picking the clear BPA... Yakupov.

I have ZERO doubt in my mind he's EASILY the best pick of the last THREE drafts... and if really pushed I would say he could be as good as Stamkos but that's greedy to compare him at this point to a 60 goal scorer.

Only time will tell that tale of course... but honestly this guy is golden. Watch him play and perform. He's got "IT". Not every decent prospect has that special factor... he DOES.

Trade this guy away at your peril Tamblowe. The guy will be dynamite on this team and give them scoring depth that they absolutely DO NOT HAVE and that they desperately NEED.

I don't care if people say I'm over-hyping him. He's the BPA and it's not close. It's scary that he'll get even better and he already has one of the best shots I've seen and he's not even in the NHL yet.

Other teams and scouts can rank and rate him anywhere they want to. I've seen him and know he's the real deal. Take him and be grateful he's here to score for the Oilers for many years to come. Trade him and watch him get 50+ goals for another team.

Yes there are a few players that might be worth trading him for... a signed Weber... and a few other "untradeables". Forget all that.. just pick the guy and watch him gel with the rest of the youth movement on the Oilers.

This is the pick of destiny. You don't win 3 #1 picks in a row... against all odds... and then go screw that up by NOT picking the clear BPA every damned time. Fate has given the Oilers this pick on their plate... they crap on this and they deserve what they get.
I concur. He is the best player since stamkos. I think he could even outscore him.

The underrating of yakupov on the main boards is criminal.

Old
05-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Oilersfan82

The ONLY way I trade first pick if it's for Weber (if he signs long term) or Doughty.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:02 AM
CupofOil

Quote:

something like

At 5 we take Murrey

This is a slam dunk deal?
I've seen you post this deal multiple times and get surprised when Oiler fans turn it down.

Well, Kadri doesn't fill any "needs". He's a good prospect but he's just another smallish, skilled forward that plays soft. Schenn is in Paajarvi territory, he's struggling to even find a regular spot in the NHL and doesn't really fill a need anyway, we have Smid and Schultz as shutdown guys and Teubert and Musil in the pipeline anyway.
Also, Murray likely won't be there at 5 so the Oilers will have to take whoever is leftover at 5 so the Oilers trade down and don't get their guy.

It's silly that you think that this is some kind of slam dunk deal.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
This is a slam dunk deal?
I've seen you post this deal multiple times and get surprised when Oiler fans turn it down.

Well, Kadri doesn't fill any "needs". He's a good prospect but he's just another smallish, skilled forward that plays soft. Schenn is in Paajarvi territory, he's struggling to even find a regular spot in the NHL and doesn't really fill a need anyway, we have Smid and Schultz as shutdown guys and Teubert and Musil in the pipeline anyway.
Also, Murray likely won't be there at 5 so the Oilers will have to take whoever is leftover at 5 so the Oilers trade down and don't get their guy.

It's silly that you think that this is some kind of slam dunk deal.
except he's further into his career and is paid WAY more then Magnus.

Closed Thread