HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov general discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2012, 09:22 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
the only way I would trade Yakupov is if the oilers got a grand slam in return

something like
Number 3, Subban and Pacioretty-I know I will get flammed by some

At 3 we take Grigorenko

That trade addresses the biggest issues the oilers have. Overhauls the D and gives us 2 more top FW
Fixed that for you. Another option would be 2nd, Johnson, and Johansen

Old
05-01-2012, 09:35 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I wouldn't consider that a grand slam. Taken from a post I made in the trade forum thread.

Since 2000:

Year 1st Overall 5th Overall 5th + Schenn + Kadri > 1st?
2000 Rick DiPietro Raffi Torres Yes
2001 Ilya Kovalchuk Stanislav Chistov No
2002 Rick Nash Ryan Whitney No
2003 Marc-Andre Fleury Thomas Vanek Yes
2004 Alexander Ovechkin Blake Wheeler No
2005 Sidney Crosby Carey Price No
2006 Erik Johnson Phil Kessel Yes
2007 Patrick Kane Karl Alzner Maybe
2008 Steven Stamkos Luke Schenn No
2009 John Tavares Brayden Schenn No
2010 Taylor Hall Nino Niederreiter No

Is Yakupov more like Kovalchuk, Nash, Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, and Hall or DiPietro, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Erik Johnson?
Awesome post. I completely agree. Last year I went back like 20 years and pointed out every first overall pick and it's astounding how few of those players turn into something you'd consider a failure.

The first overall pick isn't always the best player in the draft, but easily the safest pick in the draft.

-------

Talk about what Tencer has blabbed hasn't surprised me in the least. I often wonder if he'll ever get fired. I must admit, ever since he referred to me as "crazy" over the radio, I've had quite a biased opinion about him, but the truth is that he's got nothing impressive in his bags of tricks.

I especially hate it when he fades out all of the background sound to present his important matter of the night, which is no news to anyone.

-------

I've finally come around to liking the idea of drafting Nail as long as Hemsky is out before the beginning of the regular season.

Old
05-01-2012, 09:40 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post

Talk about what Tencer has blabbed hasn't surprised me in the least. I often wonder if he'll ever get fired. I must admit, ever since he referred to me as "crazy" over the radio, I've had quite a biased opinion about him, but the truth is that he's got nothing impressive in his bags of tricks.

Oh?...

Old
05-01-2012, 09:47 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
They do teach English in Russian schools though. It is the most popular foreign language to learn. Problem is there is not much to practice with there.
Having lived in small town France for a while after taking classes all my life in Canada, at least in my experience, learning a language in class is not all that helpful, and certainly didn't make the process of moving to a foreign country any less intimidating.

Old
05-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

So people suggest Yakupov straight up for this?

2007-08 GP 82 G 12 A 16 P 28 +/- -5
2008-09 GP 82 G 22 A 27 P 49 +/- 5
2009-10 GP 82 G 21 A 28 P 49 +/- 19
2010-11 GP 42 G 11 A 19 P 30 +/- 7
2011-12 GP 62 G 25 A 25 P 50 +/- 11

Man, if they can get Yakupov for that guy, what could we get with this?

2007-08 GP 79 G 13 A 36 P 49 +/- -21
2008-09 GP 76 G 16 A 25 P 41 +/- -1
2009-10 GP 68 G 15 A 26 P 41 +/- -8
2010-11 GP 68 G 15 A 27 P 42 +/- -17
2011-12 GP 75 G 18 A 29 P 47 +/- 5

2nd/3rd overall maybe? That's great. Let's do this!!

Gagner to CBJ for 2nd overall - straight up. I'd do that "every day of the week"!

I sure like the way trade proposals work on these boards. Very realistic indeed.

I'd imagine we could get an entire team for someone like Eberle.

Make it happen Tambo!

Old
05-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
This is a slam dunk deal?
I've seen you post this deal multiple times and get surprised when Oiler fans turn it down.

Well, Kadri doesn't fill any "needs". He's a good prospect but he's just another smallish, skilled forward that plays soft. Schenn is in Paajarvi territory, he's struggling to even find a regular spot in the NHL and doesn't really fill a need anyway, we have Smid and Schultz as shutdown guys and Teubert and Musil in the pipeline anyway.
Also, Murray likely won't be there at 5 so the Oilers will have to take whoever is leftover at 5 so the Oilers trade down and don't get their guy.

It's silly that you think that this is some kind of slam dunk deal.

^ This multiplied by a thousand thousand. Kadri and Schenn?? That's just freaking ugly, and would make us the laughing stock of the NHL. Yaks is a bonifide #1 pick, and is heads and shoulders over both of those guys. Is Kadri eventually even going to be a NHL guy?

That's a terrible proposal that you keep bringing up, and can't understand why you don't get it that this is not going to fly around here. NO ONE thinks it's a good trade except you.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:19 AM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan82 View Post
The ONLY way I trade first pick if it's for Weber (if he signs long term) or Doughty.
I would agree with that, or Subban and Montreals first. I just see Subban and Hall getting along very well.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:24 AM
DousedInOil

Teams aren't going to give us one of their top 3 players AND a top 5 pick for Yakupov. Let's just take him and address our needs through other trades. Tambo needs to put his mark on this team without giving up 1st overalls.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:43 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I would agree with that, or Subban and Montreals first. I just see Subban and Hall getting along very well.
See, and I see them litterally getting in a fight. Hall is the top dog on this team. Subban thinks he's god. I don't see that ending well

Old
05-01-2012, 11:36 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Oh?...
Yeah, I was listening in via internet in 2005 or 2006 and he patronized the hell out of some old dude who couldn't keep up with some nerd who's obviously drank 20 pots of coffee before the radio show. I felt pretty embarrassed to be a listener at that point and emailed in a complaint. Within 10 minutes Dan said something along the lines of "We've got this Crazy guy, Tadd, over in China.... " and he went on to belittle my email complaint.

Nobody every pronounces my name correctly.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:41 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Yeah, I was listening in via internet in 2005 or 2006 and he patronized the hell out of some old dude who couldn't keep up with some nerd who's obviously drank 20 pots of coffee before the radio show. I felt pretty embarrassed to be a listener at that point and emailed in a complaint. Within 10 minutes Dan said something along the lines of "We've got this Crazy guy, Tadd, over in China.... " and he went on to belittle my email complaint.

Some people are just idiots eh. You'd think if you have people listening to you over in China you would want to keep them happy instead of being an ass.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:27 PM
jadeddog

All this discussion about Yakupov++ for Staal is *crazy talk*, simple as that. There is a pretty good chance that Yakupov scores more than Staal NEXT YEAR, let alone going forward from there. Yakupov will be a 3 million cap hit for the next 3 years, while Staal will be a 4, 5 and 5 cap hit (likely numbers) over that same time period. I'd be absolutely shocked if Yakupov doesn't score significantly more than Staal over that same period. I wouldn't trade Yakupov for Staal and Pitts 1st round pick this year. Gregor is talking out his backside on this one.

Yakupov looks to be a slightly more offensive, slitghly less 2-way, version of Hall. We'll regret a trade for the next decade or longer if we don't pick him. The poster who said it would be worse than the Pronger trade is 100% accurate. Unless we are getting a young, top-10 dman in the league back, we shouldn't trade the pick - end of story.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

You'd think HF Oilers being as close to united as is realistically possible that we should keep Yakupov speaks volumes.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:27 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan82 View Post
The ONLY way I trade first pick if it's for Weber (if he signs long term) or Doughty.
I'd trade him for the 6th overall this year + 4th overall last year + 2 good 20-30 overall picks from the last 6-7 years + a couple of marginal players (back-up goalie, 3rd/4th liners), i.e. a Lindros deal... It will never happen though so let's just keep the pick.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
All this discussion about Yakupov++ for Staal is *crazy talk*, simple as that. There is a pretty good chance that Yakupov scores more than Staal NEXT YEAR, let alone going forward from there. Yakupov will be a 3 million cap hit for the next 3 years, while Staal will be a 4, 5 and 5 cap hit (likely numbers) over that same time period. I'd be absolutely shocked if Yakupov doesn't score significantly more than Staal over that same period. I wouldn't trade Yakupov for Staal and Pitts 1st round pick this year. Gregor is talking out his backside on this one.

Yakupov looks to be a slightly more offensive, slitghly less 2-way, version of Hall. We'll regret a trade for the next decade or longer if we don't pick him. The poster who said it would be worse than the Pronger trade is 100% accurate. Unless we are getting a young, top-10 dman in the league back, we shouldn't trade the pick - end of story.
Yakupov brings a lot more offensively to the table than Hall. He has better hands, better moves, better hockey sense, and a better shot.

What Hall brings that trumps pretty much everyone else on the team is compete level. His intensity and drive is through the roof.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-01-2012, 03:42 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Yakupov brings a lot more offensively to the table than Hall. He has better hands, better moves, better hockey sense, and a better shot.

What Hall brings that trumps pretty much everyone else on the team is compete level. His intensity and drive is through the roof.
i agree with you on pretty much everything... yakupov certainly looks to be the superior offensive talent... i almost can't envision a scenario (outside of major injury) where yakupov doesn't become a consistent 25-35 goals/year scorer, and very likely better than that... think about this: hall is essentially a 30 goal scorer in his first two years in the NHL, and yakupov should be hall++ on offence... saying yakupov has 45-50 goal potential really isn't a crazy thing to say at all

i've been beating this drum since the 2010-2011 OHL season, so i can't be accused of being a homer either (just because we now have the #1 pick)

Old
05-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Petro Points

so whats next for Yakupov?
Is he injured?
Was he not given a look for Team Russia at worlds?

Old
05-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:

Probably called you crazy because he didn't believe you were in China.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
so whats next for Yakupov?
Is he injured?
Was he not given a look for Team Russia at worlds?
He is not injured.

And is training for the combine.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

I got the latest hockey news in the post today, and one article by Ryan Kennedy was pertaining to whether or not the Oilers should trade the first overall pick. Kennedy was pretty adamant that they trade it, proposing a deal of Gunnarson + 5th overall for Yakupov, and the Oilers taking Murray at that slot.

How the hell does Murray make it to fifth overall? Columbus is almost certainly taking him second.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:31 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
I got the latest hockey news in the post today, and one article by Ryan Kennedy was pertaining to whether or not the Oilers should trade the first overall pick. Kennedy was pretty adamant that they trade it, proposing a deal of Gunnarson + 5th overall for Yakupov, and the Oilers taking Murray at that slot.

How the hell does Murray make it to fifth overall? Columbus is almost certainly taking him second.
Is he going to rehab? Because you have to be on some pretty hardcore stuff to think Gunnarsson makes up for that difference

Old
05-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post

For gunnarson...... What a joke

Old
05-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

I agree. I just found myself shaking my head a few times while reading it.

Old
05-01-2012, 06:04 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Is he going to rehab? Because you have to be on some pretty hardcore stuff to think Gunnarsson makes up for that difference
No kidding... at least put Gardiner in the deal to make the proposal somewhat respectable.

Other fanbases have this extremely tainted view that the Oilers NEED defence above all else. So they reckon the Oilers should throw that #1 away for basically any NHL dman a team chucks their way... and then pick an additional dman with the 1st rounder they get from another club.

Facts are that the Oilers need help everywhere. Yakupov won't hurt this team ... he will actually give them more depth and scoring balance and allow the team to not be a 1 line team which is basically what they are now... especially when 1 of the big 3 are injured (which is pretty often and sadly probably will be that way going forward).

Yes they need defensive help and help in net but that can damn well be addressed in another way than dealing the 1st overall pick away... especially when that 1st overall pick has franchise player potential.

Like I read somewhere on the boards here... you don't trade a Ferrari for 2 pickup trucks just because you need to haul something. The Oilers can trade several of the used cars they have on their 2nd and 3rd lines if they really need to move someone for dman help.

They have prospects and other players besides their "big 4" (Yakupov is already part of the core on the Oilers in my eyes). Trading away a part of the core is stupid. Management needs to fill those holes in other ways... either through trades of other less important assets, through the UFA market... or by simply filling holes with assets being developed within the organization.

It's literally short sighted and stupid to trade away elite talent to fill holes that could be filled in other ways... especially when you have an owner who is obviously committed to a rebuild plan and has deep pockets and is willing to spend the money to make the team better.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:44 PM
czar99

vCash: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
You'd think HF Oilers being as close to united as is realistically possible that we should keep Yakupov speaks volumes.
I think that's the reason there is 50 Yakupov threads on HF. It's nervous energy because we're not to confident that Oilers management does the logical thing and drafts Yak. I think people are trying wrap there heads around a possible trade and to what the value would be coming back the other way.

Closed Thread