HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Socks

Old
04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
MattB43

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
This. The Vapor socks are extremely comfortable but they are surprisingly difficult to put on.
Oh ya, and DON'T dry them if you wash them
Mine stretched back out eventually but they looked like they'd fit my kid after they shrunk...

MattB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:29 AM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Yup, I found you gotta roll em down, slide the end on and then roll them out. Go on easy that way. Otherwise it's a bear.
This is a good idea. I also found that if I put them on before I leave for the rink it is easier then if I wait till I get there. I find that if my feet get even the least bit sweaty on the ride over then I could literally pull a muscle trying to put them on. If I do it before the drive over then I have no issues. The exception to that is the warmer months when I wear flip flops to the rink.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Are those extra tight compression socks worth the extra cash over just regularly tight skate socks?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:10 PM
lilphill23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Are those extra tight compression socks worth the extra cash over just regularly tight skate socks?
I like the Elite hockey ones due to the fact that they are like compressions shorts for your feet as i said earlier, hoever they are not overly tight or difficult to put on or take off. And at like 14 dollars they are not to tough on the wallet. I guess i also have the advantage of having a Monkeysports B&M down the road.

lilphill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:18 AM
JaeTM

Thanks for all the replies guys

I'll most likely end up getting either the Bauer's or the Easton's after seeing all the positive feedback on the two. Again, appreciate it!

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:15 AM
shoeshine boy

do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of the soccer/football socks that you can buy at your local sports store for half the price of the "hockey specific" socks. I've owned both and I swear they seem the same to me so why pay more just because they say "Bauer" or Easton" on them?

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:17 AM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of the soccer/football socks that you can buy at your local sports store for half the price of the "hockey specific" socks. I've owned both and I swear they seem the same to me so why pay more just because they say "Bauer" or Easton" on them?
Because it is a different sock. I have worn both the Bauer hockey sock and the tall soccer/football sock and found the hockey sock to be better. Why not pay the extra the 5-10 bucks to get a sock that many on here have had good luck with?

Old
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Exactly. $15 a year for a pair of socks ($30 for two pair that you rotate) is not breaking the bank.

Old
05-03-2012, 11:23 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Because it is a different sock. I have worn both the Bauer hockey sock and the tall soccer/football sock and found the hockey sock to be better. Why not pay the extra the 5-10 bucks to get a sock that many on here have had good luck with?
I've had the exact opposite experience as you. depending on the soccer/football sock you pick up it is virtually the same sock. all I'm saying is try both. why pay twice as much if you don't have to?

Old
05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
I've had the exact opposite experience as you. depending on the soccer/football sock you pick up it is virtually the same sock. all I'm saying is try both. why pay twice as much if you don't have to?
What soccer/football sock? Can you show me exactly which sock is the same as both the Easton and Bauer sock (which are different)? I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Trying both is a great idea, although in that respect you are actually spending more money.

I'm just saying you should not be telling people not to get a certain pair just b/c you've had a good experience with something else. Certainly suggest it, but there is no reason to discount something else that a lot of people have had success with.

Old
05-04-2012, 01:13 PM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
What soccer/football sock? Can you show me exactly which sock is the same as both the Easton and Bauer sock (which are different)? I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money.
I *think* this is the Nike sock: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...84/pgid-530614
I buy mine at Sports Authority and sometimes Ebay if I can find what I'm looking for.
I previously wore the CCM Oxysock which was $20 a pair. imo, the Nike socks was the same material and same fit for half the cost. all in all "dri-fit" and "moisture-wicking" socks are all the same basic materials. soccer and football players need the same compression and protection from blisters as hockey players do.

Old
05-04-2012, 01:28 PM
donkers*

I wear my old rugby socks. Don't know how much they are though because they came with my kit.

http://www.jmsrugby.co.uk/Rugby_Wear...s/photo_medium

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:39 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
I *think* this is the Nike sock: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...84/pgid-530614
I buy mine at Sports Authority and sometimes Ebay if I can find what I'm looking for.
I previously wore the CCM Oxysock which was $20 a pair. imo, the Nike socks was the same material and same fit for half the cost. all in all "dri-fit" and "moisture-wicking" socks are all the same basic materials. soccer and football players need the same compression and protection from blisters as hockey players do.
That's honestly not that close to the Bauer version. The Vapor socks have a padded ankle and a vented top and are also 5 bucks cheaper than those socks.

Old
05-04-2012, 01:40 PM
hockeymass

I just saw that the price is for 2 pairs. They're still not the same sock. Not all compression socks are the same. I've worn the basic ones and the Vapor ones are better for skates.

Old
05-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
I'm all for saving money, but just because socks have the same materials doesn't make them the same. I've worn every dry fit type of sock under the sun and they're all different. Different weave, different thickness, different reinforcment, venting, etc. They're not the same. And given the fact that Nike is just as premium a brand as Bauer, I have a hard time believing that all your paying extra for in the Bauers is the name. The Bauer Vapors are a hockey specific sock and you notice it in the fit, feel, cushioning and breathability.

By the way, the Bauers and Eastons are both dry fit materials and they are totally different socks.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Trevor3

Personally, I prefer to save the money of fancy sport socks and wear my normal everyday socks in my skates. Honestly, one way or the other is not going to make a difference in your play unless you mentally believe you will be a slower skater with normal socks on your feet.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Normal socks are thick and hold moisture. They can screw up how the skates fit and your comfort. Even a $3 pair of dress socks are better than regular cotton socks.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:05 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
Personally, I prefer to save the money of fancy sport socks and wear my normal everyday socks in my skates. Honestly, one way or the other is not going to make a difference in your play unless you mentally believe you will be a slower skater with normal socks on your feet.
I prefer to be comfortable and spend 15 bucks a year to not have crusty sweaty everyday normal socks. To each his own.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:12 PM
ChiTownHawks

I wish normal cotton socks worked as well as the Bauer socks do for me, but you guys talking about saving money are making it seem like these are $50 socks. They are $18 and when you consider that in the grand scheme of hockey equipment it is a drop in the bucket.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep. I spent $425 on my skates, I'm not afraid to spend $15 on some socks.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:06 PM
ChiTownHawks