HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best PK Unit In The League?

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2003, 07:04 AM
SabresRule

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildan
Devils have like the fourth most average shots per game shots in the NHL right now and like the 12th most gpg.

That game they had versus the sabres a few nights ago, sure wasnt boring up until they stoped trying ...
i just think, and i know im not alone, that the trap is killing hockey, goals is what fans want, and NJD exemplify how boring games can be when your team doesnt score, or get scored on.

the game between us wasnt boring cause our defense refused to take part in their own zone, leaving 2 2-1's and when our defense got bored of that, a 2-0. pathetic, i would have laughed if u hadnt of scored.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:09 AM
devildan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
i just think, and i know im not alone, that the trap is killing hockey, goals is what fans want, and NJD exemplify how boring games can be when your team doesnt score, or get scored on.

the game between us wasnt boring cause our defense refused to take part in their own zone, leaving 2 2-1's and when our defense got bored of that, a 2-0. pathetic, i would have laughed if u hadnt of scored.
So the game was good because your team sucked? I think it had a little bit more to do with the Devils just rolling over the Sabres, which they can do very well on ocassion. When looking at the recent encarnations of Devils teams, it becomes more and more apparant that they arent a straight out boring trap team anymore. Lou has moved away from the big clutch and grab guys like bobby holik to the smaller, harder working little guys like john madden. As evidenced from the Ottawa series last year (and countless times this year), the Devils can also run and gun with the best of them when they wish. The only times that you can truley say the Devils do a full time trap is against boston (no idea why, but we always play so boringly against them) or against crappy teams when it dosnt look like they even try.

And dont give me that trap to protect a lead crap. Every team plays a variaion of the trap when they want to protect a lead. The devils just happen to do it the best.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:13 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
Isle's are leading the league now. Philly gave up one last game. Philly is 2nd, NJ is tied for 3rd with Tampa.
Wow, I'm surprised Tampa is that high. That's pretty decent, BUT Tampa and NJ are both last in the league in times short handed (62), compared to Philly (84) and the Isles (80), so I'd say it's between Philly and the Isles right now. I haven't seen Philly much, but the Isles PK looked good when I saw them.

Old
11-22-2003, 11:07 AM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

I think the Senators PK units are a little underrated. Sure, they miss Arvedson, but Schaeffer and Van Allen are fantastic I-up communicators. Also, Chara's reach is so long that he barely has to move to square himslef against the low post give-and-go.

However, I tend to disagree with Jacques Martin not playing Havlat on PK once in a while. I really feel that the kid has the anticipation skills, reach, and speed to lead the NHL in PK goals. But then again, PK isn't about offence, is it.

Old
11-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
No, I don't think it's another one of those misguided assumptions. Spare me of your thinly veiled attack. I think some people here overvalue goalies.
I'll gladly spare you a thinly veiled attack and be more direct: they obviously have a long way to go in as far as understanding the sport of hockey, down in the land of NASCAR.

Old
11-22-2003, 04:19 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I'll gladly spare you a thinly veiled attack and be more direct: they obviously have a long way to go in as far as understanding the sport of hockey, down in the land of NASCAR.
Right...Do me a favor, effectively (key word here) attack my argument, not me. Your form of argument is intriguing. Are you in politics? Calling me misguided (in a cutesy, roundabout way), then using the all-mighty 'your from the South...' ammunition. Show some class and beat my argument. Show me that posters here don't overvalue goalies. Take the high road. It's too easy to attack the South; challenge yourself.

Old
11-22-2003, 05:38 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Of course, successful goalies play on good teams...and those good teams are good, in large part, because of the guy playing goal! On a micro-level, the same holds true for PK units, which is what this debate is about.

All goalies are not created equal, with some just being the beneficiary of having better teams. That is what can be inferred from your original post.

Put it this way. For certain, Brodeur wouldn't have won three Cups playing with the Predators, Blue Jackets or Thrashers, etc.. But the Devils wouldn't have won a Cup, let alone three, with Tomas Vokoun, either.

(That was not intended as a shot at your team or goalie, BTW.)

Old
11-22-2003, 06:00 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
Pandolfo - Madden - Langenbrunner
Stevens - Rafalski
YOu can't have 5 guys on a PK.

Btw, you missed the best NJ PK guy: Brodeur.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:39 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
YOu can't have 5 guys on a PK.

Btw, you missed the best NJ PK guy: Brodeur.
True, I just named the Devils best shutdown line which oftentimes plays as though they are killing one long extended penalty. Pandolfo and Madden are the two best together, but if Pandolfo is penalized the Devils can do pretty well with Brylin, Elias, and Langenbrunner all being worked in. I liked the speed of Bicek and Elias killing penalties last season.

Closed Thread