HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Draft Picks this Summer/Draft

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

vCash: 500
This site has us at 19, but says it won't be fully updated until the PO's are over.

http://prosportstransactions.com/hoc...Years/2012.htm

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Old
05-01-2012, 01:45 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Us at 19 is impossible. We're a 7th seed that lost in the first round, and the other 7th seed and the 8th seed in our conference both won their first round series. That website, I presume, has what the order would be if the favorites had all won their series.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Us at 19 is impossible. We're a 7th seed that lost in the first round, and the other 7th seed and the 8th seed in our conference both won their first round series. That website, I presume, has what the order would be if the favorites had all won their series.
Not vouching for the accuracy, but that site has always been very accurate. I'm not a draft order expert, but they have updated it to show who is still in the PO's and who is not. [P] signifies those still in and [D] = division winners.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Kitten Mittons

Weren't you guys discussing us being 16th?

Old
05-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
The 2nd round doesn't matter for seeding "tiers", it goes

non-Playoff teams
Teams that lost in the 1st or 2nd Round
Teams that lost in the conference finals
Stanley cup loser
Stanley cup winner

We can't be worse than 19, but can't be better than 17 depending on if the Caps/Kings advance.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:02 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post

non-Playoff teams
Stanley cup loser
Stanley cup winner

We can't be worse than 19, but can't be better than 17 depending on if the Caps/Kings advance.
Doesn't make sense. Who's 15 and 16 then.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:29 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post

non-Playoff teams
Stanley cup loser
Stanley cup winner

So if LA were to lose in this round they would draft before us, as they lost in the 1st or 2nd round and were below us in the standings? Am I understanding this right?

I don't think I see how we get lower than 18 though, if only Washington, Ottawa and LA can be below us among the teams who made the playoffs.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
So if LA were to lose in this round they would draft before us, as they lost in the 1st or 2nd round and were below us in the standings? Am I understanding this right?

I don't think I see how we get lower than 18 though, if only Washington, Ottawa and LA can be below us among the teams who made the playoffs.
Sharks were ahead of the Kings, Panthers, Caps and Sen's. That means we could still be 19th. 2 are out and the Caps and Kings could be.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Doesn't make sense. Who's 15 and 16 then.
Panthers and Sens. It's on the site I linked to. 17 and 18 could be Kings and Caps.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Sharks were ahead of the Kings, Panthers, Caps and Sen's. That means we could still be 19th. 2 are out and the Caps and Kings could be.
Oh right, the Panthers. I thought there were special rules for division winners, no?

Old
05-01-2012, 03:05 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Oh right, the Panthers. I thought there were special rules for division winners, no?
That's what I thought too, but I guess not.

So basically, we're rooting for the Kings and Caps. Works for me.

Old
05-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Doesn't look like it. The post above says no, as well as that draft site I linked. Both of those seem to correspond with each other. Looks like I learned something today

Old
05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
So, anyway, going back to our first rounder. Do you guys agree that we need to draft Sebastian Colberg? Amazing speed, and great hands. He would be great with Matt Nieto in the future.
It depends on what else they do. If they move their expendable pro assets for enough draft picks that it allows them to move up for someone they want, that's fine. If not, I feel they need to move out of the first round for more selections. To me, it's either move into the top ten or get out of the first round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDmitriy View Post
Sorry for appearing clueless, but are the Sharks drafting at #15? Thanks.
They are not. From my understanding of the rules, they can pick 16, 17, or 18. Florida does have less points than the Sharks but as a division winner, they can only go as low as 21st and since they have been eliminated, that is where they will draft.

Quote:
Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners, then the rest of the field are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks.
The 15th pick is the Ottawa Senators as they have the fewest points of any team in the playoffs and won't be going to the conference finals. The Sharks are currently 18th because the Capitals (16th) and Kings (17th) have not made it to the conference finals yet. If they do, the Sharks move up.

Last edited by Pinkfloyd: 05-01-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old
05-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Nevermind.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:43 PM
do0glas

i would agree it doesnt seem that weve had success outside of the top 10 in the first round. but the players coming through are different, and you have to go off what your scouts are telling you. if there is a player you could have at #16 that has a lot more potential than three players in 2nd/3rd rounds i say you are better off getting the #16 kid.

we can stock the farm, but if they end up like a mcarthy/ferriero (more likely) than a couture/wingels/mcginn type player we have negative value sitting in our ranks that most people wouldnt trade for. unless there is some type of great value coming our way i dont really think its time to trade down in the draft for more picks, but thats just my opinion.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i would agree it doesnt seem that weve had success outside of the top 10 in the first round. but the players coming through are different, and you have to go off what your scouts are telling you. if there is a player you could have at #16 that has a lot more potential than three players in 2nd/3rd rounds i say you are better off getting the #16 kid.

we can stock the farm, but if they end up like a mcarthy/ferriero (more likely) than a couture/wingels/mcginn type player we have negative value sitting in our ranks that most people wouldnt trade for. unless there is some type of great value coming our way i dont really think its time to trade down in the draft for more picks, but thats just my opinion.
It's them going off of what the scouts are telling them that has given them the history that they have in those areas of the draft. What it means is that you can trust the information you get from them, for the most part, with regards to the top ten and the post-first round gems. And to me, there is more value for this organization with what they have and what they lack, for them to move back and acquire more youth. If they can turn that 16, 17, or 18th pick into three 2nd rounders, I think they should do that because they'll get three chances at a Vlasic/McGinn/Nieto/Carle/Cheechoo. Will they hit on all of them? Probably not but the Sharks are in a position where quantity of prospects is better for them than quality...give or take.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:40 PM
glasgow26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
It's them going off of what the scouts are telling them that has given them the history that they have in those areas of the draft. What it means is that you can trust the information you get from them, for the most part, with regards to the top ten and the post-first round gems. And to me, there is more value for this organization with what they have and what they lack, for them to move back and acquire more youth. If they can turn that 16, 17, or 18th pick into three 2nd rounders, I think they should do that because they'll get three chances at a Vlasic/McGinn/Nieto/Carle/Cheechoo. Will they hit on all of them? Probably not but the Sharks are in a position where quantity of prospects is better for them than quality...give or take.
I think you're right, and I think this is exactly what DW and his staff are planning. They'll have a small list of players that they want, and if one of those players is still available when we pick, they'll take that player. If they're all gone, they'll either trade out of the first round completely or trade back a few spots and pick up an extra 2nd rounder. I think DW trading back is much more likely than him trading up.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:46 PM
hockeyball

I don't know if he'll trade up, but I doubt he trades that 1st, it's the highest one we've had since Couture. I think it's extremely likely he trades for MORE picks though by dumping players.

i see a few scenarios:

1) Todd is fired, new coach has a new vision, players are dumped to bring in players to fit a new system.

2) DW is fired, if this happens you can expect a significant overhaul.

3) Players are blamed for the failure, significant moves are made to 'clean house'.

In fact, it would be pretty freaking stupid if he doesn't trade at least 1 player at the draft.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:53 PM
OrrNumber4

FYI, has Doug Wilson ever traded down in a draft?

Old
05-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Technically, the Brent Burns trade was a trade down. lol

Old
05-01-2012, 06:52 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Yeah, he's allergic to extra draft picks.

Old
05-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Yeah, he's allergic to extra draft picks.
I don't think he's made an extra picks deal in the first round but he's made some extra picks deals. Last year, he dealt the 119th pick for the 133rd and 194th.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

I contacted the person at the draft site I linked and he said he will fix the page to reflect that the Panthers, as division winners, have a lower draft pick than we do.

Old
05-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

So, it cost the Sharks their 25th pick in 07, an 07 second & an 08 third rounder to move up 16 spots to grab Couture at 9. That doesn't sound too bad if we want to move up from the possible 16th spot this year for somebody in the top 10. Thoughts?

Old
05-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
So, it cost the Sharks their 25th pick in 07, an 07 second & an 08 third rounder to move up 16 spots to grab Couture at 9. That doesn't sound too bad if we want to move up from the possible 16th spot this year for somebody in the top 10. Thoughts?
Don't forget Vesa Toskala and Mark Bell, damn you. They were important!

Closed Thread