HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Draft Picks this Summer/Draft

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2012, 01:40 PM
  #126
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,772
vCash: 500
This site has us at 19, but says it won't be fully updated until the PO's are over.

http://prosportstransactions.com/hoc...Years/2012.htm

__________________

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 01:45 PM
  #127
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,325
vCash: 567
Us at 19 is impossible. We're a 7th seed that lost in the first round, and the other 7th seed and the 8th seed in our conference both won their first round series. That website, I presume, has what the order would be if the favorites had all won their series.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 01:47 PM
  #128
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Us at 19 is impossible. We're a 7th seed that lost in the first round, and the other 7th seed and the 8th seed in our conference both won their first round series. That website, I presume, has what the order would be if the favorites had all won their series.
Not vouching for the accuracy, but that site has always been very accurate. I'm not a draft order expert, but they have updated it to show who is still in the PO's and who is not. [P] signifies those still in and [D] = division winners.

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 01:49 PM
  #129
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,520
vCash: 500
Weren't you guys discussing us being 16th?

Kitten Mittons is online now  
Old
05-01-2012, 01:54 PM
  #130
Arrch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NorCal
Country: United States
Posts: 4,329
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Us at 19 is impossible. We're a 7th seed that lost in the first round, and the other 7th seed and the 8th seed in our conference both won their first round series. That website, I presume, has what the order would be if the favorites had all won their series.
The 2nd round doesn't matter for seeding "tiers", it goes

non-Playoff teams
Teams that lost in the 1st or 2nd Round
Teams that lost in the conference finals
Stanley cup loser
Stanley cup winner

We can't be worse than 19, but can't be better than 17 depending on if the Caps/Kings advance.

Arrch is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:02 PM
  #131
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,325
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
The 2nd round doesn't matter for seeding "tiers", it goes

non-Playoff teams
Teams that lost in the 1st or 2nd Round
Teams that lost in the conference finals
Stanley cup loser
Stanley cup winner

We can't be worse than 19, but can't be better than 17 depending on if the Caps/Kings advance.
Doesn't make sense. Who's 15 and 16 then.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:29 PM
  #132
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts
 
CrazedZooChimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,741
vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
The 2nd round doesn't matter for seeding "tiers", it goes

non-Playoff teams
Teams that lost in the 1st or 2nd Round
Teams that lost in the conference finals
Stanley cup loser
Stanley cup winner

We can't be worse than 19, but can't be better than 17 depending on if the Caps/Kings advance.
So if LA were to lose in this round they would draft before us, as they lost in the 1st or 2nd round and were below us in the standings? Am I understanding this right?

I don't think I see how we get lower than 18 though, if only Washington, Ottawa and LA can be below us among the teams who made the playoffs.

CrazedZooChimp is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:35 PM
  #133
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
So if LA were to lose in this round they would draft before us, as they lost in the 1st or 2nd round and were below us in the standings? Am I understanding this right?

I don't think I see how we get lower than 18 though, if only Washington, Ottawa and LA can be below us among the teams who made the playoffs.
Sharks were ahead of the Kings, Panthers, Caps and Sen's. That means we could still be 19th. 2 are out and the Caps and Kings could be.

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
  #134
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Doesn't make sense. Who's 15 and 16 then.
Panthers and Sens. It's on the site I linked to. 17 and 18 could be Kings and Caps.

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
  #135
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts
 
CrazedZooChimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,741
vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Sharks were ahead of the Kings, Panthers, Caps and Sen's. That means we could still be 19th. 2 are out and the Caps and Kings could be.
Oh right, the Panthers. I thought there were special rules for division winners, no?

CrazedZooChimp is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 03:05 PM
  #136
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,325
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Oh right, the Panthers. I thought there were special rules for division winners, no?
That's what I thought too, but I guess not.

So basically, we're rooting for the Kings and Caps. Works for me.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 03:06 PM
  #137
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Oh right, the Panthers. I thought there were special rules for division winners, no?
Doesn't look like it. The post above says no, as well as that draft site I linked. Both of those seem to correspond with each other. Looks like I learned something today

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
  #138
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,942
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
So, anyway, going back to our first rounder. Do you guys agree that we need to draft Sebastian Colberg? Amazing speed, and great hands. He would be great with Matt Nieto in the future.
It depends on what else they do. If they move their expendable pro assets for enough draft picks that it allows them to move up for someone they want, that's fine. If not, I feel they need to move out of the first round for more selections. To me, it's either move into the top ten or get out of the first round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDmitriy View Post
Sorry for appearing clueless, but are the Sharks drafting at #15? Thanks.
They are not. From my understanding of the rules, they can pick 16, 17, or 18. Florida does have less points than the Sharks but as a division winner, they can only go as low as 21st and since they have been eliminated, that is where they will draft.

Quote:
Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners, then the rest of the field are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks.
The 15th pick is the Ottawa Senators as they have the fewest points of any team in the playoffs and won't be going to the conference finals. The Sharks are currently 18th because the Capitals (16th) and Kings (17th) have not made it to the conference finals yet. If they do, the Sharks move up.


Last edited by Pinkfloyd: 05-01-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Pinkfloyd is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 04:32 PM
  #139
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,772
vCash: 500
Nevermind.

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 04:43 PM
  #140
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,010
vCash: 500
i would agree it doesnt seem that weve had success outside of the top 10 in the first round. but the players coming through are different, and you have to go off what your scouts are telling you. if there is a player you could have at #16 that has a lot more potential than three players in 2nd/3rd rounds i say you are better off getting the #16 kid.

we can stock the farm, but if they end up like a mcarthy/ferriero (more likely) than a couture/wingels/mcginn type player we have negative value sitting in our ranks that most people wouldnt trade for. unless there is some type of great value coming our way i dont really think its time to trade down in the draft for more picks, but thats just my opinion.

do0glas is online now  
Old
05-01-2012, 04:53 PM
  #141
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,942
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i would agree it doesnt seem that weve had success outside of the top 10 in the first round. but the players coming through are different, and you have to go off what your scouts are telling you. if there is a player you could have at #16 that has a lot more potential than three players in 2nd/3rd rounds i say you are better off getting the #16 kid.

we can stock the farm, but if they end up like a mcarthy/ferriero (more likely) than a couture/wingels/mcginn type player we have negative value sitting in our ranks that most people wouldnt trade for. unless there is some type of great value coming our way i dont really think its time to trade down in the draft for more picks, but thats just my opinion.
It's them going off of what the scouts are telling them that has given them the history that they have in those areas of the draft. What it means is that you can trust the information you get from them, for the most part, with regards to the top ten and the post-first round gems. And to me, there is more value for this organization with what they have and what they lack, for them to move back and acquire more youth. If they can turn that 16, 17, or 18th pick into three 2nd rounders, I think they should do that because they'll get three chances at a Vlasic/McGinn/Nieto/Carle/Cheechoo. Will they hit on all of them? Probably not but the Sharks are in a position where quantity of prospects is better for them than quality...give or take.

Pinkfloyd is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 05:40 PM
  #142
glasgow26
Registered User
 
glasgow26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
It's them going off of what the scouts are telling them that has given them the history that they have in those areas of the draft. What it means is that you can trust the information you get from them, for the most part, with regards to the top ten and the post-first round gems. And to me, there is more value for this organization with what they have and what they lack, for them to move back and acquire more youth. If they can turn that 16, 17, or 18th pick into three 2nd rounders, I think they should do that because they'll get three chances at a Vlasic/McGinn/Nieto/Carle/Cheechoo. Will they hit on all of them? Probably not but the Sharks are in a position where quantity of prospects is better for them than quality...give or take.
I think you're right, and I think this is exactly what DW and his staff are planning. They'll have a small list of players that they want, and if one of those players is still available when we pick, they'll take that player. If they're all gone, they'll either trade out of the first round completely or trade back a few spots and pick up an extra 2nd rounder. I think DW trading back is much more likely than him trading up.

glasgow26 is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 05:46 PM
  #143
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,591
vCash: 500
I don't know if he'll trade up, but I doubt he trades that 1st, it's the highest one we've had since Couture. I think it's extremely likely he trades for MORE picks though by dumping players.

i see a few scenarios:

1) Todd is fired, new coach has a new vision, players are dumped to bring in players to fit a new system.

2) DW is fired, if this happens you can expect a significant overhaul.

3) Players are blamed for the failure, significant moves are made to 'clean house'.

In fact, it would be pretty freaking stupid if he doesn't trade at least 1 player at the draft.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 05:53 PM
  #144
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,419
vCash: 500
FYI, has Doug Wilson ever traded down in a draft?

OrrNumber4 is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 06:48 PM
  #145
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,942
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
FYI, has Doug Wilson ever traded down in a draft?
Technically, the Brent Burns trade was a trade down. lol

Pinkfloyd is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 06:52 PM
  #146
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,685
vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
FYI, has Doug Wilson ever traded down in a draft?
Yeah, he's allergic to extra draft picks.

magic school bus is online now  
Old
05-01-2012, 06:57 PM
  #147
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,942
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Yeah, he's allergic to extra draft picks.
I don't think he's made an extra picks deal in the first round but he's made some extra picks deals. Last year, he dealt the 119th pick for the 133rd and 194th.

Pinkfloyd is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 07:19 PM
  #148
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,772
vCash: 500
I contacted the person at the draft site I linked and he said he will fix the page to reflect that the Panthers, as division winners, have a lower draft pick than we do.

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 08:45 PM
  #149
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,772
vCash: 500
So, it cost the Sharks their 25th pick in 07, an 07 second & an 08 third rounder to move up 16 spots to grab Couture at 9. That doesn't sound too bad if we want to move up from the possible 16th spot this year for somebody in the top 10. Thoughts?

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 08:49 PM
  #150
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,942
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
So, it cost the Sharks their 25th pick in 07, an 07 second & an 08 third rounder to move up 16 spots to grab Couture at 9. That doesn't sound too bad if we want to move up from the possible 16th spot this year for somebody in the top 10. Thoughts?
Don't forget Vesa Toskala and Mark Bell, damn you. They were important!

Pinkfloyd is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.