HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCSF Gm#2: KINGS @ BLUES, 4/30/12, KINGS WIN 5-2, Lead Series 2-0 ...

Old
05-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

vCash: 500
Blues fan coming in peace here guys. Could you open the Roman Polak door for us? In all seriousness, I have never seen a team dominate the Blues like that last night. You guys literally had me screaming at the TV last night. That said, I'm just kind of curious what type of game you are expecting for game 3? I'm thinking it's gonna be a massivly physical game. Gotta say I hate Dustin Brown but he's been money for you guys. He's beating Backes at his own game, and that's something I've never been able to say. I'm hoping Petro's back. I was really looking foward to him going toe to to with Doughty.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
They have it on again at 1am on animal planet

Maybe it's not new? Because they usually have it on the discovery channel..I don't know anymore, haha.
The final episode of that show was last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Looked to me like Penner went ape **** on Perron because he took a whack at Richards legs after Richards dropped the gloves with Oshie.
That was the point where the announcers really pissed me off. They kept saying that Penner was mad because of the Oshie hit and took a retaliation penalty when in fact it he went after Perron for going after Richards when he was already engaged with Oshie. Penner was defending his teammate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser39 View Post
I got home about midnight (central time) and my wife told me that my 13 year old looked at her after the Kings made it 4-0 and said he didn't have time for this crap, and he went to bed.
Now THAT is funny

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:09 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
You guys need to give this biased announcer crap a rest. It sounds petty and it's not true.

The announcers gushed about the Kings for the entire first period. They rode the Blues the last 40 because they were the better team the last 40. The Kings had 5 TOTAL shots the last 40 minutes. What the hell else were they supposed to talk about?

They've got to be neutral and again, I thought they were very complimentary of the Kings when they deserved the compliments.

NBC has improved the production value of the game dramatically over the past few years. They put FSN to shame with the camera angles, the replays... the production value overall is very, very good. They thought enough of the series to have 3 announcers work it, which they usually reserve for their #1 broadcast only.

If you want to ***** about something, how about that awesome postgame show? CNBC went straight into a show about Costco, NBC Sports was showing poker.
This.

I can't stand Gayward but the guy was slobbering all over the kings in that first period. I was actually laughing about it!

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Blues fan coming in peace here guys. Could you open the Roman Polak door for us? In all seriousness, I have never seen a team dominate the Blues like that last night. You guys literally had me screaming at the TV last night. That said, I'm just kind of curious what type of game you are expecting for game 3? I'm thinking it's gonna be a massivly physical game. Gotta say I hate Dustin Brown but he's been money for you guys. He's beating Backes at his own game, and that's something I've never been able to say. I'm hoping Petro's back. I was really looking foward to him going toe to to with Doughty.
After they went up 2-0 on Vancouver, the Kings won a 1-0 game where the Kings were outshot quite a bit I believe but if I remember correctly, most of the shots were from the outside. I would expect game 3 to be a tight one because the Blues aren't going to continue taking shots (along with the Kings) because they have their backs against the wall. The Kings won't want to give them life either. That being said, expect a barn burner lol!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
After they went up 2-0 on Vancouver, the Kings won a 1-0 game where the Kings were outshot quite a bit I believe but if I remember correctly, most of the shots were from the outside. I would expect game 3 to be a tight one because the Blues aren't going to continue taking shots (along with the Kings) because they have their backs against the wall. The Kings won't want to give them life either. That being said, expect a barn burner lol!
If the Kings play the same 1st period again, I don't give the Blues much of a chance. The Canucks are a much stronger team than the Blues. The Blues defense is physically weaker and the Kings are much bigger up front. Kings just need a split at home to take a 3-1 series lead.

The Kings forwards had a free pass to the front of the net all 1st period in game 2. The Blues just couldn't do anything about it.

If Carter and Williams actually heat up (both scored their first goals last night), then I don't think the Blues at their best can beat the Kings at there best.

The Blues are certainly capable of winning 4 of 5, but the Kings level of play would have to drop, especially Quick. The Kings know they don't have a good home record and I hope they come out in the first like game 2.

We know Hitch will have his team ready. He will probably show more of the 2nd and 3rd periods over the 2 day break to re-enforce the positive from game 2. If the Blues are more worried about hitting and retribution, I don't see them winning 4 of 5. They need to re-focus on their game.

The Canucks offense scared me and I was worried of a come back. The Blues offense doesn't scare me, I don't see the speed that would force the Kings to change their system or lose their composure. Sutter has been awesome for their focus, I just hope they play their game at home and stop trying to do too much for their fans. The fans will be happy with a win, no need to try and get extra fancy.

And stop taking penalties. If they keep the Blues to 2 or 3 PPs, the Kings should be fine.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
The Canucks offense scared me and I was worried of a come back. The Blues offense doesn't scare me, I don't see the speed that would force the Kings to change their system or lose their composure. Sutter has been awesome for their focus, I just hope they play their game at home and stop trying to do too much for their fans. The fans will be happy with a win, no need to try and get extra fancy.

And stop taking penalties. If they keep the Blues to 2 or 3 PPs, the Kings should be fine.
Well that is exactly what they did last Game 3. They played the Kings style and grinded the Canucks down. That is why I suggested a low scoring affair. But who knows? I'll certainly take another 4 goal first but I won't expect it. But you are right, the Kings have had much more freedom in the offensive zone this series than with Vancouver which I guess is surprising to me given their defensive ranking in the regular season and first round.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:06 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
I'm not sure it'll be that physical. They gooned it up last game because the game was lost after 20 minutes.

Next game the focus certainly for the Blues is desperate hockey. They need to win a game first and foremost. They can also play a simpler game on the road without having to worry about impressing their home team's fans. Kings will have a lot of pressure on them to win game 3.

The Blues best chance to win a game will be Sunday. Day games and the Kings do not mix. A noon start is an hour earlier than normal.

Obviously getting Pietrangelo back is essential. Hitchcock started to say that in his press conference last night before he stopped himself "we need him back in the lineup if we're gonna..." since that comment would have taken on a life of its own if he'd completed his sentence, but we all knew what he meant, and I believe him. He's that critical of a player for the Blues to have success and I think the entire team knows that.

Being without Halak doesn't help matters. You have to think Elliott would have been pulled in normal circumstances after the 3rd goal.

Last edited by TonySCV: 05-01-2012 at 01:12 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:06 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Perhaps it's my Kings colored glasses speaking, but I always thought the Kings stood a good chance versus the Blues. Very similar in makeup but, the Blues were smarter in firing their coach sooner. Had DL done the same, the Kings certainly finish with higher than 100 points and win the division easily.

The Blues had the benefit of acclimating to their new coach sooner and had complete buy-in earlier. Now, the Kings are buying in and the results are similar to the Blues. When you have two teams who have similar levels of buy-in to their systems, what's the differentiator assuming all else being equal? High end talent. The Kings have more of it. It's something we've lamented for years on how Kopi needed more help, and now he has it. The Blues are talented, but I would not switch rosters with them.

This ain't over, the Kings still need to work as hard as the Blues to finish them off, but in the end, I like our chances because of guys like Kopi, Richards, Carter, Quick and Doughty. Having that kind of dynamic talent on the roster helps when the styles are similar.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:13 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
It was Penner, of all people, who was so fast from the faceoff he beat Carter to the blue line, so everyone probably thought they imagined it
Wonder if it was this play.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:16 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Haha it was not. But that was a funny play. The angle of that shot was different during the telecast, but Penner and Crombeen had some sort of altercation just prior and were jawing.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:32 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
Haha it was not. But that was a funny play. The angle of that shot was different during the telecast, but Penner and Crombeen had some sort of altercation just prior and were jawing.
I thought Penner was giving him a wedgie

Would have been hilarious if Penner pulled Crombeen's jock strap out over his jersey.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
Crombeen was warned for leaning in too much. Penner moved him back when he did it the 2nd time.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:47 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
When the Kings forwards want to drive to the front of the net, the Blues defensemen are just not strong enough to stop them. Even if Alex comes back in game 3, I don't see this changing. The Kings are the only ones that can beat the Kings in this series.

If the forwards drive the front of the net, the Kings will be hard to beat, they have the skill to finish their chances now. The blues defense just doesn't match up well with the Kings size up front.

Game 2 was supposed to be the Blues best game and they didn't even show up for the first shift of the game. Richards set the tone of the period on his first shift just like Giroux did for Philly against Pittsburgh.

Philly-Kings final would be epic for the NHL. Offense vs. defense.
The NHL would love that, All the stories they could run with.

Carter/Richards return... Simmer/Drew being really good friends. The trade ETC.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:52 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Game 3 should be a concern considering how hard we got worked over physically.
Really? I don't think the Kings got worked over physically. The Kings have big forwards and can take it. The Blues stopped playing hockey in terms of trying to score and win the game when Williams made it 5-1. After that they were strictly looking for big hits.

Richards, Penner, Brown, and Kopitar gave as good as they got, and Voynov got a real good hit on Oshie so I'm not concerned about the physical aspects of this series at all. Especially when the Kings own the house in front of Elliott.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:52 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
This is turning into the ultimate jinx thread. Let's ease up on the talk of potential opponents until we actually win 4 games. St Louis is still dangerous, and guys like Backes aren't going to just lay down.
Don't Believe in jinx stuff, never have. Either the Kings get it done, or they don't.

There is not some all magical force, stopping them cause the Fans got excited.

Karma I kind of believe in, But the Kings fans have about 40 years worth of Karma forgiveness.

So no worries.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:54 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Really? I don't think the Kings got worked over physically. The Kings have big forwards and can take it. The Blues stopped playing hockey in terms of trying to score and win the game when Williams made it 5-1. After that they were strictly looking for big hits.

Richards, Penner, Brown, and Kopitar gave as good as they got, and Voynov got a real good hit on Oshie so I'm not concerned about the physical aspects of this series at all. Especially when the Kings own the house in front of Elliott.
I agree ,

Slava nailed Oshie in the leg, and you could see Slava was aiming LOL. Hell Even Quick was trashing people that got in his paint.

The Kings are not going to let anyone just push them around.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:55 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

Post this on the main board and watch certain Blues' fans lose their ****.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Wooty

I gave some real thought, hopefully objective, of what the Blues need to do. They have a real problem in that they are just flat out small. You don't really realize the Kings are bringing a lot of size until they line up next to the Blues and just tower over them. Even our softer players like Anze are physically too much for them.

The Blues can't afford to play a giant hitting game. They can't afford to run around trying to blow up the Kings. Even the Penner hit really didn't accomplish anything for the Blues. The Kings were more then willing to punch them right back.

The Blues need to work hard to get the pucks moving back and forth in front of Quick and get fast (notice, I did not say quick...) shots off. I think their 2nd was scores that way. They need to focus on hitting the Kings' D - especially Voynov but I think you get in on the D and pressure them physically you can try and get the puck free.

When you watch the Kings get the puck and go on offense, the forwards overwhelm the Blues D and get right next to (and behind Elliot) while the Blues never get in behind our D and directly touch Quick.

The Blues have to get Quick moving speedily (I refuse to use that word) and fire it past him as he moves. They have a big challenge

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:09 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
I gave some real thought, hopefully objective, of what the Blues need to do. They have a real problem in that they are just flat out small. You don't really realize the Kings are bringing a lot of size until they line up next to the Blues and just tower over them. Even our softer players like Anze are physically too much for them.

The Blues can't afford to play a giant hitting game. They can't afford to run around trying to blow up the Kings. Even the Penner hit really didn't accomplish anything for the Blues. The Kings were more then willing to punch them right back.

The Blues need to work hard to get the pucks moving back and forth in front of Quick and get fast (notice, I did not say quick...) shots off. I think their 2nd was scores that way. They need to focus on hitting the Kings' D - especially Voynov but I think you get in on the D and pressure them physically you can try and get the puck free.

When you watch the Kings get the puck and go on offense, the forwards overwhelm the Blues D and get right next to (and behind Elliot) while the Blues never get in behind our D and directly touch Quick.

The Blues have to get Quick moving speedily (I refuse to use that word) and fire it past him as he moves. They have a big challenge
It's hard to get inside the Kings Box.....San Jose, Colorado, were the only teams I think that did it consistently.

Colorado really beat the Kings up this year.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:13 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Crombeen was warned for leaning in too much. Penner moved him back when he did it the 2nd time.
I just thought it was a bit of a greasy play - like something Hartnell would pull in Philadelphia. Bordering on unsportsmanlike, designed to drive an opposing player nuts, and funny as hell!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:15 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Post this on the main board and watch certain Blues' fans lose their ****.
Dude that back Ref had to of seen that. But it's just playoff's.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
It's hard to get inside the Kings Box.....San Jose, Colorado, were the only teams I think that did it consistently.

Colorado really beat the Kings up this year.
Yes, they can't set anyone up in close to Quick. MacDonald is good on the perimeter and sneaking in back door but they are just not big enough/talented enough to get in close.

You don't see the Kings ****ing with Elliot while the Blues have to be lame on it because they can't stay up close to Quick and actually get a play to work.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:19 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
Yes, they can't set anyone up in close to Quick. MacDonald is good on the perimeter and sneaking in back door but they are just not big enough/talented enough to get in close.

You don't see the Kings ****ing with Elliot while the Blues have to be lame on it because they can't stay up close to Quick and actually get a play to work.
I am really having a hard time understanding how San Jose didn't even put up a fight for the Blues.

Was the PK for San Jose that bad ?

Old
05-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I am really having a hard time understanding how San Jose didn't even put up a fight for the Blues.

Was the PK for San Jose that bad ?
Yes, they were as passive as you can be. Didn't the Kings put up 3 PP goals against them in one of the final 2 games? That tells you all that you need to know about the SJ PK.

SJ wasn't very good towards the end of the season, the Kings just gave up once they clinched the playoff spot. Sutter called out the entire team before the playoffs. He said they played like they were just satisfied to make the playoffs and he would make sure that they stayed hungry for the entire playoffs.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Blues fans are still crying about Pietrangelo.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote