HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

That Lanky kid from Middletown,NJ

Old
04-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Coppy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
All of this talk about Jagr not getting resigned has me thinking...what if he signs in Pittsburgh in the off season? That would be trolling in epic proportions.
I honestly don't think they'd want him. Shero apparently was never that big on signing him last offseason but was taking orders from higher up to put in an offer. I doubt after everything this season, he would suddenly want to bring him in. Plus, Pitt needs to put any of its free money into overhauling their d-core.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Jagr will be re-signed by the Flyers. Make no bones about it.
I hope your right. Salary Cap space is going to be at a premium. Signing Justin Schultz, though unlikely, would be huge in saving cap space and adding talent to the defense.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:42 PM
mja
Negative Creep

As someone who has gone on the record as being in favor of trading JVR, it has always only been if we're getting our Pronger replacement in return. If you can get Weber, you do it. I'm not dealing him for a #4.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Canada View Post
See, I think Voracek is most untouchable by far. I like Couts but he's not exactly that shut down forward everyone thinks he is. Malkin had 8 freaking pts in the first round. Voracek is the man!!
He was the league scoring leader in one of the highst scoring series in years. 8 points is not a metric ton. How many of those as Couturier on the ice for, how many of those were 5 on 5?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Le Oranje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
He was the league scoring leader in one of the highst scoring series in years. 8 points is not a metric ton. How many of those as Couturier on the ice for, how many of those were 5 on 5?
IIRC Malkin only had one even strength point when Couturier was on the ice.

Le Oranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Oranje View Post
IIRC Malkin only had one even strength point when Couturier was on the ice.

Anyway, it was 3 ES points (all assists) in 12 total games this year.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:14 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Dude's faster than Wellwood.
Kreider is going to be a really good player for the Rangers. I really dont care who is the faster of the 2 players. I would take Kreider on this team in a heartbeat.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:18 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Kreider is going to be a really good player for the Rangers. I really dont care who is the faster of the 2 players. I would take Kreider on this team in a heartbeat.
yeah and Kreider is super fast anyway

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:49 AM
DUHockey9

I'll give JVR his credit when he deserves it (like last game), but I'll also continue to rip him apart when he's a ghost (which is more often than not). Hopefully his foot is healthy and he really is the playoff performer we want him to be.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'll give JVR his credit when he deserves it (like last game), but I'll also continue to rip him apart when he's a ghost (which is more often than not). Hopefully his foot is healthy and he really is the playoff performer we want him to be.
You mean when he has been battling injuries all year? Yeah rip on him for that.

This fanbase really does amaze me sometimes.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:57 PM
tuckrr

Is anyone else shuttering at the thought of a 6'3" 'Mr. Playoffs"

You just can't stop him

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

He showed some hints of his performance from last year. We could really, really use that sort of dominance.

05-01-2012, 01:38 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Same excuse as always. He has looked no different to me this year when "battling injuries" than he has EVER looked, with the exception of the majority of a single playoff series last year. Has he been "battling injuries" his entire career? Or are we going to use the "he's young" excuse for all of the years before this one?

I've never ever been this hard on a player before. I don't blindly hate players. JVR has always frustrated the crap out of me though, and the contract only makes it worse for me. I really want to be wrong though; really badly.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Larry44

Quote:

Hurt at camp (groin, hip), struggles to get back. Takes a cheap headshot from his college teammate, Butler vs. Ottawa (unpenalized), plays again until he gets hit again, sits weeks with a concussion, comes back, blocks a shot from Jurcina, breaks foot, rehabs as fast as possible, comes back although he's still limping off ice. Comes out in Game 1 and is one of the best players on the ice, shredding the Devil D. He sucks. We should trade him.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Same excuse as always. He has looked no different to me this year when "battling injuries" than he has EVER looked, with the exception of the majority of a single playoff series last year. Has he been "battling injuries" his entire career? Or are we going to use the "he's young" excuse for all of the years before this one?

I've never ever been this hard on a player before. I don't blindly hate players. JVR has always frustrated the crap out of me though, and the contract only makes it worse for me. I really want to be wrong though; really badly.
If you don't think something has looked wrong with him this season, then you simply are not watching the game, but have a blind hatred towards a player. I bet you thought that Kovulchuck is healthy too right?

Not only was he not healthy, but he kept producing points. He's playing in the play-offs, in his first few games back, and dominates one already.

It's also funny that we consider a 21 goal sophmore season a flop. Were you calling Richards and Carter flops during TSTSNBN when they put up 60 games each and under 40 points? I would seriously like to know.

Old
05-01-2012, 06:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
If you don't think something has looked wrong with him this season, then you simply are not watching the game, but have a blind hatred towards a player. I bet you thought that Kovulchuck is healthy too right?

Not only was he not healthy, but he kept producing points. He's playing in the play-offs, in his first few games back, and dominates one already.

It's also funny that we consider a 21 goal sophmore season a flop. Were you calling Richards and Carter flops during TSTSNBN when they put up 60 games each and under 40 points? I would seriously like to know.
The issue though is that this was JVR's third season. By the time Carter and Richards hit their third seasons, they put up numbers. I'm willing to give JVR the benefit of the doubt with the regards to the injuries he's suffered this year. But next season is put up or shut up time. If he doesn't deliver beyond 20 goals/40 points, then he needs to go. Of note, I wouldn't consider a jump to 50 points a break through either. JVR needs to have at least a jump to 70 - 75 points.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:17 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
That week off looks like it REALLY benefited JvR. He looks great. That float play that Jake just set him up on looked like nothing...until JvR went into beastmode.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
The issue though is that this was JVR's third season. By the time Carter and Richards hit their third seasons, they put up numbers. I'm willing to give JVR the benefit of the doubt with the regards to the injuries he's suffered this year. But next season is put up or shut up time. If he doesn't deliver beyond 20 goals/40 points, then he needs to go. Of note, I wouldn't consider a jump to 50 points a break through either. JVR needs to have at least a jump to 70 - 75 points.
Please tell me that you realise that only 21 players hit 70 points this year. But then again, Simmonds is going to score 40 next season right?

Old
05-01-2012, 07:25 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Absolute WORST case scenario is that JVR is a postseason all-star and a regular season dud.

I'm extremely skeptical that that's the case, but JVR can float his way to 40-50 points every year during the regular season if he comes out beastmode for the playoffs.

His beastmode is absurdly dominant.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:33 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:

I wasn't implying nothing looked wrong with him...

I guess what I'm implying is...despite apparently being hurt a lot of this year, he still looked like the same kid that had all the tools in the world, but would never use them; no different than the previous two seasons.

The only time he EVER was like "whoa, I can kind of do whatever I want out here" was in ONE playoff series. I'm a cautious, risk averse person by nature...I put more weight on the 153 games before this year (and the 43 this year) than I do the 11 last year in the playoffs.

No I wasn't calling Richards and Carter flops. Richards after his 2nd season was only supposed to be a 3rd line center; he exploded like nobody thought he would the following year. Neither of them were 2nd overall like JVR.

I'd also like to clarify that I don't mean to imply he is a "flop". I'm simply saying, I've never seen enough CONSISTENTLY from JVR to make me think he's going to be what everyone thinks he will be. He is, and will still continue to be a good to very good player. I think he will ultimately be 55-65 point guy.

If the guy simply applied his god given talent, he'd be unstoppable. He hasn't shown me that he can do it though.

He sure looks good right now though. I'd love for him to prove me wrong and show that the small sample size is the real one, not the large sample size.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:34 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Absolute WORST case scenario is that JVR is a postseason all-star and a regular season dud.

I'm extremely skeptical that that's the case, but JVR can float his way to 40-50 points every year during the regular season if he comes out beastmode for the playoffs.

His beastmode is absurdly dominant.
I'd be cool with that.

My issue is the fact that players have a "beastmode" but don't use it all the time (or even most of the time).

(And Briere isn't an example of that...he had one of his worst seasons ever this year. Not the norm.)

Old
05-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Please for the love of god, stop using the word beastmode.

It's so absurdly stupid

Old
05-01-2012, 07:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Please tell me that you realise that only 21 players hit 70 points this year. But then again, Simmonds is going to score 40 next season right?
I didn't say that Simmonds was going to score 40 next season. But I will stand by what I said that Simmonds will be a 40 goal scorer in the league. If Hartnell was able to get 37 while playing with Giroux, I can easily see Simmonds getting 40, especially when he's got better hands than Hartnell.

As for JVR, he was the 2nd overall choice his draft year. Carter and Richards were moved to give him ice time so that he can produce. He needs to deliver. Plain and simple. 70 to 75 points for JVR is not unrealistic at all.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Please for the love of god, stop using the word beastmode.

It's so absurdly stupid
Saying beastmode is absurdly stupid is absurdly stupid.

beastmode

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:17 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
I didn't say that Simmonds was going to score 40 next season. But I will stand by what I said that Simmonds will be a 40 goal scorer in the league. If Hartnell was able to get 37 while playing with Giroux, I can easily see Simmonds getting 40, especially when he's got better hands than Hartnell.

As for JVR, he was the 2nd overall choice his draft year. Carter and Richards were moved to give him ice time so that he can produce. He needs to deliver. Plain and simple. 70 to 75 points for JVR is not unrealistic at all.
Yepp. Exactly right. It's easy to make excuses for a player and I agree, he was really hurt this season. That being said, in the next year or two, he has got to produce. Yes yes yes, he's a big player, young (same age as Voracek, 1 year younger than Simmonds, 2 years younger than Giroux) so he needs time, but I have a feeling the "he needs time" thing will be used till he is 30.

He has to produce next season. If he has an injury riddled season again, that would be severely disappointing but if he doesn't the "he's young" excuse wont cut it.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote