HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Andrei Vasilevski and Malcolm Subban

Old
05-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Beesfan

vCash: 500
Andrei Vasilevski and Malcolm Subban

Can anyone give me an opinion on one or both of these prospects, and a projection of where they might go in the draft?

Do either have elite potential, like a Tuukka Rask?

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 03:02 PM
magnus svensson*

Well, both have about the same skill level and their simelar types of players and their very very close in terms of elite potential, but by a very small margin Subban is better AINEC

magnus svensson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 03:04 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Vasilevski has contract with Salavat Yulaev Ufa until 30.04.2014

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 03:09 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus svensson View Post
Well, both have about the same skill level and their simelar types of players and their very very close in terms of elite potential, but by a very small margin Subban is better AINEC
If intentional, this post was funny. If not, even better.

FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 03:13 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
If intentional, this post was funny. If not, even better.
..... Lol, I think Vasilevsky is better... He's also slighty younger... And playing pro no ?

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't know that it would be fair to look at either as a Rask-level prospect. But goaltender development is hard to predict. I think Rask was a guy who was a definite 1st rounder from a long way off, and if anything "fell" in his draft year (not by any fault, just the way the draft order progressed). Anyway, Rask has fullfilled all his potential and panned out perfectly. Most don't.

Vasilevsky is probably present-tense "better". I've only seen him a few times on TV, though, and don't have any really strong opinions either way. I get the sense that if it weren't for the "Russian factor" he'd be the consensus top goalie taken. But instead, since he's signed in Russia and the spectre is always there that it becomes a headache to get him to take ELC money after he has established himself in the KHL, he will probably end up going later than his talent level would dictate.

Any goalie is going to be extremely hard-pressed to live up to Rask's standard.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:08 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't know that it would be fair to look at either as a Rask-level prospect. But goaltender development is hard to predict. I think Rask was a guy who was a definite 1st rounder from a long way off, and if anything "fell" in his draft year (not by any fault, just the way the draft order progressed). Anyway, Rask has fullfilled all his potential and panned out perfectly. Most don't.

Vasilevsky is probably present-tense "better". I've only seen him a few times on TV, though, and don't have any really strong opinions either way. I get the sense that if it weren't for the "Russian factor" he'd be the consensus top goalie taken. But instead, since he's signed in Russia and the spectre is always there that it becomes a headache to get him to take ELC money after he has established himself in the KHL, he will probably end up going later than his talent level would dictate.

Any goalie is going to be extremely hard-pressed to live up to Rask's standard.
Not yet a first round goalie's potential should be NHL starter, Rask has been a back-up for the majority of his career. Certainly on another team he most likely would have been a starter by now. I believe he will get his chance very soon though.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote