HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Believe me if Sauer is healthy enough to return to the lineup for next season, they will find a spot for him, bank on it. He was easily our best stay at home defenseman who never let anyone set up camp in the crease the way Ottawa did throughout the first series.
You can't have enough sound, physical defenseman who make great decisions like Sauer does!
And with grit to his game! Sauer won't back down, the same way Bickle won't.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Larry Melnyk

Am I the only one that thinks the Rangers have to go outside the organization for another D-man, one that can effectively run the PP all year.?....If they don't, the Rangers don't have anybody capable of excelling (a few can get by here and there) in that role and the PP will be a concern all year....again...or do you guys feel that McD (or anybody else), if given the chance, can run the PP?

With a healthy Sauer (fingers crossed)...with Erixon..with Mcilrath in the pipeline....they are loaded with Talent and size at D, but they don't have all the pieces...Yet, they have the trade pieces to get that if they want (I have no clue about FAs..and I ain't looking! )...

First things first, lets continue to pound the Capitals D on Wednesday and force them to be the one to make the mistakes.....Mistakes is what this series is all about...

Old
05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Am I the only one that thinks the Rangers have to go outside the organization for another D-man, one that can effectively run the PP all year.?....
Next year I think McD can step up, along with MDZ, MDZ's slapper was a howitzer last night, just bad luck...

Old
05-01-2012, 02:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Am I the only one that thinks the Rangers have to go outside the organization for another D-man, one that can effectively run the PP all year.?
They've been looking for one since the Leetch trade.

05-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Could use us some Sauer right about now.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:07 PM
thewaitingisover

Quote:
Am I the only one that thinks the Rangers have to go outside the organization for another D-man, one that can effectively run the PP all year.?....If they don't, the Rangers don't have anybody capable of excelling (a few can get by here and there) in that role and the PP will be a concern all year....again...or do you guys feel that McD (or anybody else), if given the chance, can run the PP?

With a healthy Sauer (fingers crossed)...with Erixon..with Mcilrath in the pipeline....they are loaded with Talent and size at D, but they don't have all the pieces...Yet, they have the trade pieces to get that if they want (I have no clue about FAs..and I ain't looking! )...

First things first, lets continue to pound the Capitals D on Wednesday and force them to be the one to make the mistakes.....Mistakes is what this series is all about...
Well Weber & Suter will be FA's...but I don't think either are necessary.

McDonagh is a hands down stud. At 22. In his first full year. Will be an All-Star for many years to come.
Sauer was great before getting hurt. He'll be back next year (). He's 24.
All-Star Girardi can go back to his original pairing with a healthy, back-to-form All-Star Staal.
DelZotto had a tremendous bounce-back year. Oh yeah, he's 21. Erixon, McIlrath, and Stralman will compete for roster spots. 21, 20, 25, with the first two being first round picks.

This team has 5 all-star caliber defensemen, with 2 first round prospects in waiting, all 25 or younger (sans Girardi). I think as MDZ gets older and bigger he'll be able to run the power play. If not, we also have plenty of trade bait. Very optimistic.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Could use us some Sauer right about now.
I liker Bickel but I thought the same thing

Old
05-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
I liker Bickel but I thought the same thing
Same I like Bickel too, similar players but Sauer is much better. Just miss seeing him out there being tough haha. Hope he gets well soon.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Same I like Bickel too, similar players but Sauer is much better. Just miss seeing him out there being tough haha. Hope he gets well soon.
What's it like 60 games, never thought he would be out for the season. I like Bickel vs the Bruins and Flyers, but Craps, Emminger should play

Old
05-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
And with grit to his game! Sauer won't back down, the same way Bickle won't.
You took the words right out of my mouth! People either don't remember or realize what a revelation he was when he was in the lineup; he was the one defenseman that would have thrived in the series against Ottawa; it would have been a crease clearing smorgasboard for Sauer and guys like Neil, Konopka and Smith would have paid dearly to get in Hank's kitchen!

Old
05-01-2012, 03:33 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

My ideal defense has Sauer and Erixon. Three borderline elite shutdown guys in Sauer, Staal and Girardi, two two-way studs in McD and Erixon, and an offensive dynamo in MDZ. Sauer makes this defense so much deeper- we're up 2-0 on the Caps and probably don't go 7 games against the Sens with Sauer in the lineup. Really hope he comes back.

Old
05-01-2012, 03:39 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Anyone think he's back next season? Didn't a concussion or similar head/neck injuries end his brother's career? I haven't heard anything encouraging about Sauer in forever.

Old
05-01-2012, 06:23 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Anyone think he's back next season? Didn't a concussion or similar head/neck injuries end his brother's career? I haven't heard anything encouraging about Sauer in forever.
I have my reservations about him starting the season, but I think we'll at least see him give it another go. The fact that he tried to skate again after his concussion suggest to me that he's not completely done. I suspect (from what knowledge I have about concussions) that once he was shut down in January, he's still had some lingering symptoms. Probably not an everyday occurrence, but probably some headaches, light sensitivity on bad days. It's been interesting to hear all the beat writers say that they haven't even seen him at the facility though. It certainly does not bode well for his current status.

Old
05-01-2012, 06:26 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Read the Sauer injury thread - -his brother has a whiplash injury, not post concussion syndrome.

Old
05-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Vitto79

you have to think after a yr off the guy will be ready to go? no?

The team will likely bring back the same D we see now minus Eminger who is gone as a UFA. Sauer is in the mix. Carry 8 D and Bickel as the last spot on the roster

McDonaugh, Girardi
Staal, Sauer
Del Zotto, Erixon
Stralman, Bickel

McIlrath is the first call up in CT

Old
05-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

i don't know that mcilrath is going to be ready next season... and erixon/mdz together is unlikely, too.

either:
mcd/girardi
staal/sauer
del zotto/stralman
erixon/bickel

or(if we can steal him):
staal/girardi
mcdonagh/schultz
mdz/sauer
stralman/erixon(if erixon doesn't become trade bait)

Old
05-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Noonan25

Have to remember Schultz too lololol

Old
05-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Noonan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
i don't know that mcilrath is going to be ready next season... and erixon/mdz together is unlikely, too.

either:
mcd/girardi
staal/sauer
del zotto/stralman
erixon/bickel

or(if we can steal him):
staal/girardi
mcdonagh/schultz
mdz/sauer
stralman/erixon(if erixon doesn't become trade bait)
Isn't Erixon higher rated then Schultz

Old
05-01-2012, 10:42 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I hope Sauer comes back but I'm not sold. That was one of the nastiest direct blows to a head I've ever seen in any sport. The guy's head hit pure planted metal with absolutely no give. Love the guy, he's such a special player but I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to give it a go next year and ultimately retires.

At this point I hope he can get back to normal and not have to worry about lingering headaches and can eventually play with his kids.

Concussions are tricky, Beuk played a charity game in Canada a few years ago, bumped a dude at moderate speed, and started getting headaches again.

If he comes back, huuuuge bonus, at this point though, it's looking more and more like a good thing to have McLIrath, Erixon, MAYBE one of Noreau/Ceresnak (projects) and who knows if they draft a first round DMan this year (Koekoek and Thrower will both drop due to injuries).

Old
05-01-2012, 10:53 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Sauer cements our third pairing. Miss him a lot.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:17 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Sauer cements our third pairing. Miss him a lot.
Sauer cements our second pairing.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:36 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Sauer cements our second pairing.
agree with this, sad he been injury prone since we drafted him, hope he can make it back

Old
05-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Sauer would be mighty fun to watch at this time of year. Shame

Old
05-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan25 View Post
Isn't Erixon higher rated then Schultz
Marc Staal - Left
Michael Del Zotto - Left
Tim Erixon - Left
Ryan McDonagh - Left
Dan Girardi - Right
Stu Bickel - Right
Michael Sauer - Right
Anton Strålman - Right
Justin Schultz - Right

personally i feel like mcd will have a lot more synergy with schultz than mdz will, and mcd deserves top 4 minutes. staal/schultz might even work.

schultz is the top college(wcha?) defenseman 2 years in a row if i'm not mistaken. he skates as fast as(possibly faster than) mcdonagh, similar defensive game(albeit judging by college), but his offensive game is as developed as(if not more developed than) erixon's.

erixon's a great prospect, but playing on that side kind of screws him. I can't see him getting a permanent spot unforeseeing injury unless we trade staal/mcdonagh/del zotto, and he's too good to be a depth guy. he hasn't adjusted to physical play, and his defense isn't top notch(but it's been improving).

personally i'd rather trade mdz(high value after this season) and keep erixon in the regular 6, but who knows what happens.

either way we're counting our chickens before we hatch. schultz is 2 months from being available, and we don't have any proof that he will be.

i really just hope sauer is fine by next season. he had a bright future.

hell, if sauer's fine and we get schultz i'd not be adverse to keeping erixon and looking to get as much as we can for mdz (maybe a high pick)

girardi/staal
sauer/mcdonagh
schultz/erixon

:O

also-- no... most sources don't rate erixon higher than schultz

Last edited by Kreider Typical: 05-02-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old
05-02-2012, 12:31 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I think Erixon is going to be trade bait this off-season, whether it's to bring in a more NHL-ready defenseman that shoots right handed, or someone to round out the top 6.

Closed Thread