HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Evgeny Kuznetsov

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2012, 03:47 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Realistically this only burns the Caps if their rights expire. I rather pay the rookie max for a 22-23 year old than a 20 year old.
Rights don't expire due to the lack of transfer agreement.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:06 PM
DanTHEMan71

Someone posted this on the Caps NHL forum:

"Prior to 2005, NHL teams retained the rights to a European player until that player turned 31. Drafted Europeans must now be signed within two years, the same as North Americans, or the team loses the rights to the player."

So if that's legitimate, that means that we lose his rights in July this year! I'm not too familiar with the legalities of the NHL regarding player ownership rights. Can someone clarify this?

Also, since we'll be in-between CBAs, do you think Kuz might get some kind of exception?

The last thing I want to see is Kuz coming to the NHL in 2 years and playing for another team.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

What makes this even worse if how much it seemed like he was coming over next year in the past few weeks.

A few weeks ago, he makes this decision, im not that disappointed.

But there have been so many signs/things in the last few weeks that pointed to him coming over here...
Makes it so much worse, after getting my hopes up.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Atlas

I'm mixed. There is no substitute for developing in the NHL. The players are bigger, faster and better so as a player you have to get bigger, faster and better to keep up.

But a lot of "blue chip" prospects come to the NHL too soon and lose their confidence. I'm just not sure here...something tells me that Kuz is not obsessed about being an NHL superstar. But I could be wrong.

The 2 years will go by fast and, yes, Kuz will be bigger and more mature. That is, if he trains to be bigger and more mature.

Our GM will have to decide: is Kuz dedicated to winning Stanley Cups? If not, trade him while you can.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:21 PM
breakawaygoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTHEMan71 View Post
Someone posted this on the Caps NHL forum:

"Prior to 2005, NHL teams retained the rights to a European player until that player turned 31. Drafted Europeans must now be signed within two years, the same as North Americans, or the team loses the rights to the player."

So if that's legitimate, that means that we lose his rights in July this year! I'm not too familiar with the legalities of the NHL regarding player ownership rights. Can someone clarify this?

Also, since we'll be in-between CBAs, do you think Kuz might get some kind of exception?

The last thing I want to see is Kuz coming to the NHL in 2 years and playing for another team.
KHL & NHL don't have a transfer agreement so NHL rights for Russian players drafted from Russia don't expire.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:24 PM
DanTHEMan71

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakawaygoal View Post
KHL & NHL don't have a transfer agreement so NHL rights for Russian players drafted from Russia don't expire.
I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Bobban615

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
There's no upside for the Caps to this move. Just a major disappointment at the lack of character demonstrated by "Kuz" and the rest of the Russians not named Orlov.
Please explain?

Old
05-01-2012, 05:02 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobban615 View Post
Please explain?
no, please don't.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:33 PM
PSUCapsFan

The only "lack of character" I see is from the bozos in this thread. WTH does that even mean with regards to Semin and Ovechkin? How have they shown a lack of character? Please explain Erocaps.

Kuznetsov is choosing to start his family in his hometown while playing for the team he grew up with and people give him flak. Unbelievable.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:35 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
The only "lack of character" I see is from the bozos in this thread. WTH does that even mean with regards to Semin and Ovechkin? How have they shown a lack of character? Please explain Erocaps.

Kuznetsov is choosing to start his family in his hometown while playing for the team he grew up with and people give him flak. Unbelievable.
Ovechkin's play this year in and of itself demonstrates a lack of character. Semin is just beating a dead horse.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:37 PM
capsfan528

i just want him here..if its two years i can deal with it..if this happens again in 2 years i would say trade those rights because he's never coming over here

Old
05-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Quote:
Ovechkin's play this year in and of itself demonstrates a lack of character. Semin is just beating a dead horse.
You have held this stance since i've joined, seriously.

I wonder if you've been this way since they were drafted.

Semin has been fine in the playoffs, it seems that your mindset on him is set in stone no matter what.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:48 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
You have held this stance since i've joined, seriously.

I wonder if you've been this way since they were drafted.

Semin has been fine in the playoffs, it seems that your mindset on him is set in stone no matter what.
I was Ovechkin's biggest fan until his work ethic became a question. Semin has always been Semin.

I just don't see the silver lining in a player staying in a second-rate league bc he wants to play in the Olympics. The majority of the Russian national team plays in this league and those who don't are role players.

Old
05-01-2012, 05:55 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
I was Ovechkin's biggest fan until his work ethic became a question. Semin has always been Semin.

I just don't see the silver lining in a player staying in a second-rate league bc he wants to play in the Olympics. The majority of the Russian national team plays in this league and those who don't are role players.
work ethic? you mean the same thing that netted the Caps almost 1200 points (regular season and playoffs) in 7 seasons between the two of them?

and you are wrong about 'majority' of russian national team. the 2010 olympic roster was the first and only NT roster that had a majority of NHLers, namely 14 vs 9 KHLers.

Last edited by newfr4u: 05-01-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old
05-01-2012, 06:17 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
I am bummed. Sure he may end up here in a few years, but getting married... I am not feeling it. I wonder if George could have handled this better. Including running a system here that does not cater to his strengths, regardless of the series win, NHL hockey may look boring to him. We are not the only defensive team.

Do we give George a pass on this one?

I guess its too late to have gloves send him BayWatch Season 1 on DVD.

Old
05-01-2012, 06:38 PM
vannzee
Ruslan Salei fan...

The big concern is if after two years he decides to continue staying in Russia.

I havent followed him closely as a Wings fan but he makes some pretty strong comments in interviews about being bothered about when he will come stateside, seemed kinda standoffish. Thats just my opinion.

Old
05-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

I'm pretty sure Dale Hunter's system had no affect on his decision.

Quote:
When you say you're not ready for the NHL, maybe you are talking about the new system the Capitals have implemented?

"To be honest with you I don't know anything about that system. It was a tough decision to make. I spoke with my parents, my wife. And I decided to stay."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-32018

Seems like the Olympics and the fact that he's 20 years old and already married and playing in his hometown are the reasons he stayed.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:59 PM
BPMrules

You're all ignoring the real reason he's not coming over.
He's whipped.

Joking aside, I really think he is going to be over there to stay, and never put on a Capitals uniform. Sure, he's 20, but he seems pretty complacent with his situation already, making good money, and surrounded by his friends and family. There's not a whole lot to lure him over here, outside of playing with better competition. He is gonna be a sick player, just not for the Caps.

I guess we'll have to wait 2 more years to see.

Old
05-01-2012, 08:15 PM
sunnydaycrash

Well that sucks....hopefully Galiev can help us forget about Kuz for 2 years....he may not have the talent Kuz does but he's already shown his character is miles ahead.

Old
05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Old
05-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

What the **** is with the questioning of Kuznetsov's character? Seriously?

"You turned down my team, you must be a ********!"

In what world is deciding to play in your hometown near your family (new wife included) and friends a poor display of character? How is deciding to help represent your country when it hosts the Olympic games a negative character trait?

Old
05-01-2012, 10:40 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Didn't Sasha pull something similar back in the day? He is a 19 year old kid. If he stays in Russia I can't blame him.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Didn't Sasha pull something similar back in the day? He is a 19 year old kid. If he stays in Russia I can't blame him.
No, he had to stay two years to be in the Russian Military... still, Russia...

Old
05-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexand...ty_controversy

Old
05-01-2012, 11:18 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am bummed. Sure he may end up here in a few years, but getting married... I am not feeling it. I wonder if George could have handled this better. Including running a system here that does not cater to his strengths, regardless of the series win, NHL hockey may look boring to him. We are not the only defensive team.

Do we give George a pass on this one?

I guess its too late to have gloves send him BayWatch Season 1 on DVD.
Yeah, I think GMGM gets a pass. There is no indication that EK did not hear enough interest from the Caps or something went wrong during negotiations. I think he just had a tough choice between a dream and various local pressure. Perhaps Caps didn't quite give him the full court press.. but, we'll never know.

I think he'll come over eventually. Unless the KHL somehow quickly closes the quality-of-players gap, a superstar can only be the big fish in a small(er) pond for so long. Sooner or later the "what if" question will make a hole in his head, and he'll come over

Closed Thread