HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Titans\Vols\Dores\Whatever other sport thread(IT ALL GOES HERE) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2012, 11:34 PM
AdmiralsFan24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
BJ Coleman to GB. Ex-McCallie QB, UTK, UTC

Hop he can handle the cold
Ahh, it's not that bad. And he'll be 3rd string so he can take a seat right by the heater.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:35 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Ahh, it's not that bad. And he'll be 3rd string so he can take a seat right by the heater.
I would not be surprised to see him as the back-up mid season.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:53 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Not sure about that. They really like Graham Harrell. Paid him the maximum to stay on the practice squad and then took him off and put him on the 53 man roster so he wouldn't leave.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:23 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
2nd Round - Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina
3rd Round - Mike Martin, DT, Michigan
4th Round - Coty Sensabaugh, CB, Clemson (Kingsport, TN native)

Titans adding a TON of speed on defense on days 2 and 3.
The Wright pick was good solid BPA - none of the D-linemen at that point was worth that #20 pick.

I didn't like Brown or Sensabaugh - they should have taken someone like Vinnie Curry instead of Brown, and Brandon Boykin is/was a better CB prospect than Sensabaugh and still on the board in the 4th. It's like they tried to be too cute, taking potential instead of solid players.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:39 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

The Nashville Metros are going through an administrative overhaul. New guy running the ownership, new GM, new coach, new website, and new logo.

Old:

New:

Supposedly interested in moving back to professional ball, which is good. It's been 14 years since their run to the quarterfinals of the US Open Cup, and since dropping from the A-League (former second division, professional) to the Premier Development League (fourth division, amateur, almost exclusively college kids), they've been perennial bottom feeders.

Old
05-02-2012, 01:16 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I have a baseball question....when a pitcher has a bunch of strikeouts they sometimes show fans hanging the K's along a wall or sometimes they show it on the TV scoreboard. My question is what is the meaning behind a regular K and a backwards K? Is one for a called strikeout and one for a swinging strikeout? And which is which?

Old
05-02-2012, 04:00 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
I have a baseball question....when a pitcher has a bunch of strikeouts they sometimes show fans hanging the K's along a wall or sometimes they show it on the TV scoreboard. My question is what is the meaning behind a regular K and a backwards K? Is one for a called strikeout and one for a swinging strikeout? And which is which?
Regular K is swinging, backwards K is looking. Guessing it's a way to differentiate how the player got out for people who like to keep score. Like someone who pops out to first base, you can't write that on a scorecard because there isn't enough room so they just write P3.

That Metros logo looks pretty cool.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:26 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Between the awesome Braves game and the Preds game, last night was a great night for sports (finally).

Old
05-04-2012, 01:32 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Between the awesome Braves game and the Preds game, last night was a great night for sports (finally).
The Preds made it a tolerable night for my sports fandom. Brewers shutout for the second straight game, this time to Jeff Suppan who we had to release because he was so awful a couple years ago and Mat Gamel tearing his ACL.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:00 AM
AdmiralsFan24

So, how about that Manchester City game?

Old
05-13-2012, 01:45 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
So, how about that Manchester City game?

There really are no words for that kind of finish. As a neutral, it was just unbelievable. If someone watched that and still thinks soccer is boring, he/she has no soul.

I can say, with a fair degree of certainty, that utmfisher went nuts when AgŁero scored the winner.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:

There really are no words for that kind of finish. As a neutral, it was just unbelievable. If someone watched that and still thinks soccer is boring, he/she has no soul.

I can say, with a fair degree of certainty, that utmfisher went nuts when AgŁero scored the winner.
I *love* hockey, I *like* soccer/football

that was the most ridiculous ending to an event (aside from the US U-21 Soccer) event at LP Field, I have ever seen

Old
05-13-2012, 02:33 PM
AdmiralsFan24

I'll say I had a rooting interest for Manchester City, mainly because I hate United. When Dzeko tied it I was more or less hoping Sunderland could somehow manage a stoppage time goal and tie United but I didn't give up hope on City scoring another because the dominated possession from the beginning.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:45 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Brett Lawrie went absolutely ballistic on Tuesday after he got rung up on two pretty obvious balls. He got ejected for arguing calls with the umpire after a 3-1 pitch that was five inches off the plate (the umpire called it a strike because Lawrie started down to first before he made the call), then took a 3-2 pitch that was probably a couple of inches high, started down to first again, and the umpire called strike three. Lawrie is tossed, spikes his helmet, which bounces and hits the umpire on the leg.

Lawrie gets four games for "aggressive behavior toward an official." Ump gets nothing for sucking at his job.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:07 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Brett Lawrie went absolutely ballistic on Tuesday after he got rung up on two pretty obvious balls. He got ejected for arguing calls with the umpire after a 3-1 pitch that was five inches off the plate (the umpire called it a strike because Lawrie started down to first before he made the call), then took a 3-2 pitch that was probably a couple of inches high, started down to first again, and the umpire called strike three. Lawrie is tossed, spikes his helmet, which bounces and hits the umpire on the leg.

Lawrie gets four games for "aggressive behavior toward an official." Ump gets nothing for sucking at his job.
Insert "ref" for "ump" and you could be talking about the NHL (and probably every other sport known to mankind).

Old
05-17-2012, 08:50 AM
token grinder

Quote:

he is appealing. I would assume they have the questtek or just a replay of the balls. He is going to argue he is being taught a lesson as a young player. ala Bryce Harper and Cole Hamels. Only this time, it will be argued, an umpire is interfering with the integrity of the game to show a rookie who is boss. If argued right, he won't be susoended for more than 1 of the 4 games. He does get one for being an idiot

Old
05-17-2012, 09:34 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
Insert "ref" for "ump" and you could be talking about the NHL (and probably every other sport known to mankind).
Well, I think the "why" of him being terrible at his job is what sets Miller (and umpires in general) apart. The reason he called that 3-1 pitch a strike was because Lawrie left the box early, and the same for the following pitch. I've seen umpires do that a lot, and I think it's a problem with them, not with the players. They do it for the sole purpose of being contrary. I've seen very, VERY few referees in other sports that do stuff like that. Don Koharski used to bait players in to unsportsmanlike conduct penalties (I think that was him, there was a referee that did that quite a bit), but I don't see stuff like this in hockey or soccer. Basketball referees will T guys up for mouthing off, but they won't call a foul on somebody or T someone up just because they feel like it. Maybe it happens in football and I just don't pay enough attention to it.

It's just my opinion, but I think MLB has coddled its umpires for far too long. I understand a need to protect officials from deliberate physical contact, but Major League umpires are so excruciatingly smug that it's not even funny. The front office needs to do something to threaten their job security.

Old
05-17-2012, 11:25 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Soccer officials don't have time for that mess. They have to get done with the game so they can get back to their part-time jobs at the Gap

Old
05-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Nitrous Mafia

lolBASEBALL

Old
05-19-2012, 12:46 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Hey, umpires DO get suspended!

Old
05-19-2012, 12:49 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Too bad he has the Brewers the next two days. He's a giant jackass and coming off a suspension he'll probably be mad so he'll try to make it about him again. Had a fan ejected at Miller Park a few years ago.

Old
06-08-2012, 06:26 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Euro 2012 started today.

Poland (co-host with Ukraine) played Greece, got an early lead, thought they had an edge when Greece had a man sent off at the end of the first half. Then they gave up a goal early in the second half a penalty and a straight red on Szczesny, forcing a backup keeper to come on and immediately stop a penalty, which he did. Ended in a 1-1 draw.

Then Russia proceeded to systematically dismantle the Czech Republic by a 4-1 score. The Czech defense looked absolutely putrid. Some good young players showed well for Russia, and Arshavin looks like he has found his old Arsenal form playing in the Motherland.

Next for Group A is Poland-Russia and Czech Rep-Greece. I'm not sure the Czechs have the teeth to exploit Greece the way Poland did (though Russia will eat them alive). In this format, a single result can be huge. If Poland get a point against Russia, they have a good shot at going through unless the Greeks get three against the Czechs. If the Czechs beat Greece, it will be pure chaos.

The Group of Death, Group B, is tomorrow: Netherlands-Denmark and Germany-Portugal. Should be a great afternoon of soccer.

Oh, and as if footy fans weren't spoiled enough, World Cup qualifying started in CONCACAF today. Canada beat Cuba 1-0 despite Lars Hirschfield totally forgetting where he was on the field. US just about to kick off against Antigua & Barbuda.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:43 PM
token grinder

kinda surprised the dutch lost.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:15 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
kinda surprised the dutch lost.
A little, but Denmark is good and they didn't play very well. Robben looked like he still hadn't recovered mentally from losing the Champions' League final in front of the home crowd. Not really that much excitement in that game.

Germany-Portugal was a snoozer until the last 15 minutes, too. I found it rather amusing that the two games everyone expected to be boring were exciting, and the two games that ESPN spent days hyping (justifiably so) were both soul-crushingly boring. Both stadiums were pretty quiet, although Germany at least brought some traveling fans (even if they did throw stuff at Portuguese players). You could hear chants of "Russia" and "Ukrainia" during the Netherlands-Denmark game. I'll bet UEFA loved that.

England and France renew the Hundred Years' War at noon tomorrow. (Or perhaps the Seven Years' War? Maybe the Napoleonic Wars? Some kind of war anyway.) I'm expecting France to get all three, but England could definitely turn an upset.

Spain-Italy is the first game today. Lots of injuries on the Spanish side, and the Italian team is racked with scandal, but maybe that will make for a more exciting match than we saw yesterday.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 06-10-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Got ahead of myself.
Old
06-10-2012, 09:39 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I watch soccer with interest once every four years, BUT a couple of nights ago we watched the US take on Antigua. Talk about a game where one team is supposed to dominate, and does just that

There were shirts lifted over heads that night, and chants shouted entirely too loud (we DVR'd it, and watched it kind of late)

Closed Thread