HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where do you rank Quick?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2012, 01:33 AM
  #1
Dave Hrudey
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Where do you rank Quick?

The Kings in the past have had some notable goalies, Quick has proven he deserves to be ranked among them but the question is, where? Is he as good as Vachon? Does he deserve to be ahead of Hrudey? If you were to ask me I would say "win a cup" if he can bring home a stanley cup and maybe a few awards with it I don't see why he should be short changed. What are your thoughts on this topic?

Dave Hrudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:45 AM
  #2
tantrum4*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,336
vCash: 500
I'm not old enough to have watched Vachon but based on the fact Quick has already taken down some of his franchise records I'm going to have to go ahead and rank Quick #1 of all time on the Kings. If he all of a sudden turns into Dan Cloutier then obviously he drops from that spot but if he continues on this path I don't think there is any question.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:48 AM
  #3
Dave Hrudey
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Hahaha Dan Cloutie... I remember when they had him... and Roman, and felix too... and Huet... Storr... Ersberg

Dave Hrudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:52 AM
  #4
ru4reals
Registered User
 
ru4reals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hrudey View Post
Hahaha Dan Cloutie... I remember when they had him... and Roman, and felix too... and Huet... Storr... Ersberg
How dare you forget the Taka! Yutaka Fukufuji!

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:59 AM
  #5
MollerManor
Registered User
 
MollerManor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
The only thing missing from Quick being the bonafide #1 of all time is games played. 3 more seasons of maintaining his current play and he is a shoe-in for a place in the rafters.


So I say due to a technicality, he is #2.... for now.

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:03 AM
  #6
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,133
vCash: 500
It's rather sad that Jamie Storr is one of the top five Kings goalies in career wins. That goes to show you how inept this organizations netminding has been throughout its history.

Here is a sortable list of every goalie who has played for the Kings:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...y=games_goalie

Quick is only 40 wins behind Rogie Vachon to tie the franchise record of most wins by a goalie (171). It's also astonishing that Quick is 140 games away from tying Vachon for most career games by a Kings goalie (389).

I'd say Quick will go down as the greatest goalie in Kings history, followed by Vachon and Hrudey.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:15 AM
  #7
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry
 
Rorschach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It's rather sad that Jamie Storr is one of the top five Kings goalies in career wins. That goes to show you how inept this organizations netminding has been throughout its history.

Here is a sortable list of every goalie who has played for the Kings:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...y=games_goalie

Quick is only 40 wins behind Rogie Vachon to tie the franchise record of most wins by a goalie (171). It's also astonishing that Quick is 140 games away from tying Vachon for most career games by a Kings goalie (389).

I'd say Quick will go down as the greatest goalie in Kings history, followed by Vachon and Hrudey.
Maybe it's too small a sample but I noticed Hrudey talking about the Kings on some show right before the playoffs and he was negative...I was like, what's his problem, even Melrose shows a little loyalty.

Then I realized, Quick is wearing 32. He'll be the best 32 in Kings history...actually he already is!

I would say Quick and Vachon, then that's it. The rest can't be considered "great" just good or not bad.

- R
.><.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:40 AM
  #8
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
 
Puck U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Apple Valley, CA.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,338
vCash: 500
- Terry Sawchuk {overall, but did nothing note worthy AS a King}
- Rogatien Vachon {Best KING'S Goalie for NOW}
- Jonathan Quick {Will jump ahead of Vachon IF we win a CUP or within the next year or two I'd say}
- Mario Lessard
- Kelly Hrudey

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:50 AM
  #9
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollerManor View Post
The only thing missing from Quick being the bonafide #1 of all time is games played. 3 more seasons of maintaining his current play and he is a shoe-in for a place in the rafters.


So I say due to a technicality, he is #2.... for now.
This, though I'd have Quick #3 behind Vachon and Hrudey. Same reason, longevity. If Quick puts up one or two more seasons even 80% as good as this one has been, he's the number one IMO and stays there barring a Dan Cloutier melt down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Maybe it's too small a sample but I noticed Hrudey talking about the Kings on some show right before the playoffs and he was negative...I was like, what's his problem, even Melrose shows a little loyalty.

Then I realized, Quick is wearing 32. He'll be the best 32 in Kings history...actually he already is!

I would say Quick and Vachon, then that's it. The rest can't be considered "great" just good or not bad.

- R
.><.
Hrudey has actually been a huge Kings booster for many years now, based on what I see from him on HNIC. He's sported a massive man chubby for Quick for a long time too. I'd like to see the clip you're referring to about him being negative towards the Kings, but I'll pretty much guarantee it has nothing to do with the number on Quick's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
- Terry Sawchuk {overall, but did nothing note worthy AS a King}
- Rogatien Vachon {Best KING'S Goalie for NOW}
- Jonathan Quick {Will jump ahead of Vachon IF we win a CUP or within the next year or two I'd say}
- Mario Lessard
- Kelly Hrudey
If you're going to use entire careers as a foundation for your ranking, you might want to factor Grant Fuhr and Billy Smith into your list.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:48 AM
  #10
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Vachon was before my time, but he's still #1 for a few more seasons.

Quick will end his career as the best Kings goalie of all time. He will own all of the Kings records and has a great chance to get his name on the Stanley Cup in the near future.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
  #11
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,012
vCash: 500
I think the only two things which could prevent Quick from being LA's number one all-time goaltender eventually (if he's not already) is significant injury, or not being resigned after this contract. With health and a new contract, he should be light years ahead of all other Kings goalies by the time he retires.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:17 AM
  #12
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,207
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
This very moment today? Third. In two to three seasons? First. As long as he stays healthy, he will easily be known as the greatest goaltender in Kings history; however, given our goaltending history, that is unfortunately a frivolous accomplishment. A cardboard cutout placed in front of the net could become number one at this point... Vachon, Hrudey, and Quick are my top three at the moment.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:33 AM
  #13
SLang
Registered User
 
SLang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
I think it's apparent that at his current trajectory, barring a failure to re-sign him, or some kind of horrible occurrence, that Quick is #1, and that only a little bit of time is going to be required to make it "official".

HOWEVER, if the Kings win the cup this year, he gets an immediate hall pass to #1.....at least in my eyes.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:36 AM
  #14
Pucknut50
Registered User
 
Pucknut50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,287
vCash: 500
I have been a Kings fan since 1971. I would rate (Only wearing a King jersey)
#1 Vachon
#2 Potvin
#3 Quick

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:27 PM
  #15
Dave Hrudey
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Felix the cat at number 2?

Dave Hrudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:29 PM
  #16
TheSlovenian
Registered User
 
TheSlovenian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ljubljana
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
If the Kings win the cup (with Quick in the net OFC), would he be considered number 1?

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:32 PM
  #17
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
If the Kings win the cup (with Quick in the net OFC), would he be considered number 1?
For me, I'd likely lift him over Hrudey but still have him a bit behind Vachon. Not by much though.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:32 PM
  #18
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,207
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
If the Kings win the cup (with Quick in the net OFC), would he be considered number 1?
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hrudey View Post
Felix the cat at number 2?
Not too far fetched, but I would have him as #4.

Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:37 PM
  #19
TheSlovenian
Registered User
 
TheSlovenian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ljubljana
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
For me, I'd likely lift him over Hrudey but still have him a bit behind Vachon. Not by much though.
What if he the Kings win the cup and Quick wins Conn Smythe and/or Vezina?

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:47 PM
  #20
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. suburb
Country: United States
Posts: 8,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Vachon was before my time, but he's still #1 for a few more seasons.

Quick will end his career as the best Kings goalie of all time. He will own all of the Kings records and has a great chance to get his name on the Stanley Cup in the near future.
All true statements, but Quick is also the benificiary of the "first ever in my lifetime a Kings 'Defense First' team." I'm not downgrading Quick at all, but he gets a LOT more help than any other Kings goalie ever got - AINEC!

For me, Quick seems to be the best G overall, but Hrudey played on the team that got this team the farthest in their history and that means a lot to me.

And if Rogie had played behind this D, there would be more banners on the wall at Staples.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:48 PM
  #21
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
What if he the Kings win the cup and Quick wins Conn Smythe and/or Vezina?
Still the same.

To me it's an issue of longevity with Vachon. I know Hrudey played almost as many games as Vachon, but we all know he was a slightly above average goalie. Vachon was more accomplished, so that plus longevity has him as my number one. Quick is number 3 for me right now, but a Cup/Conn Cmythe/Vezina would move him past Hrudey.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:03 PM
  #22
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
All true statements, but Quick is also the benificiary of the "first ever in my lifetime a Kings 'Defense First' team." I'm not downgrading Quick at all, but he gets a LOT more help than any other Kings goalie ever got - AINEC!

For me, Quick seems to be the best G overall, but Hrudey played on the team that got this team the farthest in their history and that means a lot to me.

And if Rogie had played behind this D, there would be more banners on the wall at Staples.
In 1990-91, Hrudey played behind the defense that gave up the 4th fewest goals against in the NHL. In 1973-74 Vachon had the Kings team with the 5th fewest goals against, 2nd fewest the next year (only four more than the cup Champion Flyers), and 6th fewest in 1976-1977 (they played in the same division against the 60-8-12 Montreal Canadians that year, arguably the greatest team in NHL history).

I agree that Quick has a great defense, but so did Vachon at times. Additionally, while Hrudey had to deal with largely weaker defenses outside of 1990-1991, he also had an offense that revolved around Wayne Gretzky and Luc Robitaille, two Hall of Famers and the grestest player of all-time, not to mention Bernie Nicholls, Jari Kurri, Sandstrom, Granato, etc. Vachon had the triple crown line. Quick has only played behind two 30 goal scorers, Frolov in 2008-2009 (Quick's rookie season) and Kopitar the next year. Heck, this years team nearly set a record for goalscoring futility until picking it up at the end of the season.

Quick's had easily as many challenges getting wins as Hrudey and Vachon.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:32 PM
  #23
Wooty
Registered User
 
Wooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Harbor City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
I laugh when I see that clip of Labarbra playing the slapping game in Phoenix. What happened to the other one who went to Edmonton?

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:37 PM
  #24
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
 
Puck U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Apple Valley, CA.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
If you're going to use entire careers as a foundation for your ranking, you might want to factor Grant Fuhr and Billy Smith into your list.
Yeah I know ... but good god Grant Fuhr was SO BAD as a KING it really tainted it for me I'd really rather forget he EVER played for the Kings ... you're certainly right about Billy Smith though I should have added him.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:40 PM
  #25
Wooty
Registered User
 
Wooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Harbor City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Yeah I know ... but good god Grant Fuhr was SO BAD as a KING it really tainted it for me I'd really rather forget he EVER played for the Kings ... you're certainly right about Billy Smith though I should have added him.
I forgot about him. He went on to have success after his time on the Kings. As I recall the coach did not play him at all until he was needed and he was unprepared when he went in.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.