HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karel Rachunek

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Kostik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertch
Now that we've got Ozolinsh in the mix, I'm not sure where Rachunek would fit either. Poti's most likely going to be gone and it makes sense to resign Roszival after his play this year (unless he's scheming for a huge raise). Which makes 5 spots pretty much locked up, leaving 1-2 openings on Defense.

Roszival, Malik, Tyutin, Kaspar, Ozolinsh

The remaining spots could be filled by
Pock (he's got nothing left to prove in the AHL - either play him in the pros or ditch him at this point)
Lampman (unlikely IMO)
Strudwick (he's great in the locker room, but we needn't keep him over a capable youngster)
Baranka (probably ready for his shot)
Rachunek (Better option than Pock IMO, but need for puck mover is diminished now with Ozolinsh)
Stall (I'd start him in Hartford -wouldn't hurt him one bit IMO)

This is, of course, all predicated on our not signing any major Defensemen in the offseason (which is perfectly fine by me)

I've been in the sign Rachunek camp all season, but I must admit I'm not sure I can see how it will work out now that we've got Ozolinsh as well.
I agree, problem is that Stall cannot play in HFD until he is twenty years old...

Old
03-17-2006, 08:31 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertch
Now that we've got Ozolinsh in the mix, I'm not sure where Rachunek would fit either. Poti's most likely going to be gone and it makes sense to resign Roszival after his play this year (unless he's scheming for a huge raise). Which makes 5 spots pretty much locked up, leaving 1-2 openings on Defense.

Roszival, Malik, Tyutin, Kaspar, Ozolinsh

The remaining spots could be filled by
Pock (he's got nothing left to prove in the AHL - either play him in the pros or ditch him at this point)
Lampman (unlikely IMO)
Strudwick (he's great in the locker room, but we needn't keep him over a capable youngster)
Baranka (probably ready for his shot)
Rachunek (Better option than Pock IMO, but need for puck mover is diminished now with Ozolinsh)
Stall (I'd start him in Hartford -wouldn't hurt him one bit IMO)

This is, of course, all predicated on our not signing any major Defensemen in the offseason (which is perfectly fine by me)

I've been in the sign Rachunek camp all season, but I must admit I'm not sure I can see how it will work out now that we've got Ozolinsh as well.
Not to keep bringing up old arguments, but why does it make sense to resign Rozsival, just because Poti is leaving? To me it makes much more sense to sign a defenseman who is better than Rozsival and leave the last spot on defense to be filled by one of Staal/Pock/Lampman/Liffiton/Baranka. If all of them fail to impress in camp, then someone like Strudwick, a player who can regularly be traded for a 7th round pick or found on the waiver wire.
This way you improve your defense AND leave a spot open for another youngster.

Old
03-17-2006, 08:53 AM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Not to keep bringing up old arguments, but why does it make sense to resign Rozsival, just because Poti is leaving? To me it makes much more sense to sign a defenseman who is better than Rozsival and leave the last spot on defense to be filled by one of Staal/Pock/Lampman/Liffiton/Baranka. If all of them fail to impress in camp, then someone like Strudwick, a player who can regularly be traded for a 7th round pick or found on the waiver wire.
This way you improve your defense AND leave a spot open for another youngster.
It all depends on what Rozsival is willing to resign for. If he's looking for a contract in the $2.5 to $3.0 range than it makes sense to look for a replacement. If he's looking for something less than that then it might make sense to bring him back. No denying that he's played well with Malik but at the same time a Chara or Redden would be a huge upgrade over him. Ideally it would be great for Staals team to lose early in the playoffs so that we can get him to Hartford for the playoffs. That way it gives us a better idea of whether or not he is ready for the NHL next season. I know he looked great in camp and has had an awesome year in the O. Still, it doesn't mean he's ready to lineup on a regular basis in the NHL.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:21 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers
Still, it doesn't mean he's ready to lineup on a regular basis in the NHL.
Agreed. However, Staal is not the only young defenseman that may be ready for an audition. I think that him, Pock & Lampman are ready for a full-time shot at the #6 spot. After them, I believe that there is an outside shot that someone like Baranka or Liffiton can open some eyes with a very good camp.
That is 5 players. I have to believe that at least one of them (probably one of the first group of 3) can stake a claim. However, as it always does, unless you leave a spot open for them, they have no shot. If you import a "placeholder", then one of these 5 has absolutely no shot at making the team. If you want one of them to get a fair shot at making the team, then you have to be willing to go into camp with no so-called placeholder. Or at least if you do have a placeholder/stopgap, the it should be someone like Strudwick, who can easily become the 7th defenseman.
Quote:
It all depends on what Rozsival is willing to resign for. If he's looking for a contract in the $2.5 to $3.0 range than it makes sense to look for a replacement. If he's looking for something less than that then it might make sense to bring him back. No denying that he's played well with Malik but at the same time a Chara or Redden would be a huge upgrade over him.
Chara or Redden are not the only ones that would be an easy upgrade over Rozsival. There are at least another 5 defensemen that would qualify. Point being is that it is pretty easy to upgrade the defense. But you have to be willing to let Rozsival go.
IMO, that Rozival will be looking for more money is easily understandable. However at what point do you cut it off? While, $1.5m is our preferred target range, $2m is not that much ahead. So, would it make sense to sign him for $2m, when you can have some one like (lower end of the spectrum here), a Gauthier for let's call it $2.25m?
Or think of it this way. Would it make sense to have Rozsival at $2 & another veteran defeseman at another $1.5 for a total of $3.5? Or would it be better to spend a little more on, call him Jovo at $3.5 plus one of our rookies at around $700-800k? I would rather upgrade the defense and spend the extra $800k and have a rookie plus a defenseman who is much better than Rozsival.

Old
03-17-2006, 09:27 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
It all depends on what Rozsival is willing to resign for. If he's looking for a contract in the $2.5 to $3.0 range than it makes sense to look for a replacement. If he's looking for something less than that then it might make sense to bring him back. No denying that he's played well with Malik but at the same time a Chara or Redden would be a huge upgrade over him. Ideally it would be great for Staals team to lose early in the playoffs so that we can get him to Hartford for the playoffs. That way it gives us a better idea of whether or not he is ready for the NHL next season. I know he looked great in camp and has had an awesome year in the O. Still, it doesn't mean he's ready to lineup on a regular basis in the NHL.

He can't go to Hartford because he is not 20 years old. If his team does lose early the Rangers should put him on their playoff roster. If by some chance he does play, then the Rangers will be able to gauge on what they should do in the offseason in regards to D-men. I'd like to see:

Chara/Redden/Jovo (1 of these three)
Kaspar
Tyutin
Malik
Ozolinish
Staal
Pock

Be a good mix of experience and youth. Only problem would be who would be the 7th D-man

Oh yeah in regards to Rachunek, I think he should be used a trading chip to move up in the draft so the Rangers can draft a future #1C. The future Rangers D-man core is pretty solid:

Tyutin
Staal
Pock
Sauer
Liffton
Barenka
Lampman

I mean Rachunek couldn't hurt to keep him around, but IMO we have a solid D-core for the future. Don't forget that each year the age of UFA's gets younger too. Needs can be filled by this route, but they wont be the old/past their prime players the Rangers have gone after in the past as UFA's. I really can't wait to see what this new kid from UMASS the Rangers signed last week can do

Last edited by UAGoalieGuy: 03-17-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old
03-17-2006, 09:35 AM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Agreed. However, Staal is not the only young defenseman that may be ready for an audition. I think that him, Pock & Lampman are ready for a full-time shot at the #6 spot. After them, I believe that there is an outside shot that someone like Baranka or Liffiton can open some eyes with a very good camp.
That is 5 players. I have to believe that at least one of them (probably one of the first group of 3) can stake a claim. However, as it always does, unless you leave a spot open for them, they have no shot. If you import a "placeholder", then one of these 5 has absolutely no shot at making the team. If you want one of them to get a fair shot at making the team, then you have to be willing to go into camp with no so-called placeholder. Or at least if you do have a placeholder/stopgap, the it should be someone like Strudwick, who can easily become the 7th defenseman.
Honestly I'm totally not sold on either Pock or Lampman. However, was it you or someone else that posted that we cannot overlook the fact that even with all of his defensive shortcomings Pock has still managed to register 6 points in something like 10 NHL games. Could be that this is just a case of the total package isn't equal to the sum of the parts and this guy just puts up points at the NHL level. Also, I'd love to see Baranka or Liffiton being ready for the NHL but based on the fact that the Pack d has struggle all year I'd have to assume that they probably need another year at the AHL level. Of couse, I'm probably way off.

Quote:
Chara or Redden are not the only ones that would be an easy upgrade over Rozsival. There are at least another 5 defensemen that would qualify. Point being is that it is pretty easy to upgrade the defense. But you have to be willing to let Rozsival go.
IMO, that Rozival will be looking for more money is easily understandable. However at what point do you cut it off? While, $1.5m is our preferred target range, $2m is not that much ahead. So, would it make sense to sign him for $2m, when you can have some one like (lower end of the spectrum here), a Gauthier for let's call it $2.25m?
Or think of it this way. Would it make sense to have Rozsival at $2 & another veteran defeseman at another $1.5 for a total of $3.5? Or would it be better to spend a little more on, call him Jovo at $3.5 plus one of our rookies at around $700-800k? I would rather upgrade the defense and spend the extra $800k and have a rookie plus a defenseman who is much better than Rozsival.
Your right I too would rather spend $3.5 on a solid d-man and another $700-$800 for a rookie. Since the pairing of Rosz/Malik has turned out better than anyone would expect what would you think of trying to move Kaspar or Ozo? Do you see either as an option? Not sure if there is much of a market for either though I could see Kaspar getting some attention. Also, if we deal Ozo and let Poti go we are back to square 1 in terms of having no d that can move the puck. None the less any of Chara, Redden, Jovo, McCabe and Witt would be an upgrade defensively over what we have right now.

Old
03-17-2006, 10:01 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Honestly I'm totally not sold on either Pock or Lampman. However, was it you or someone else that posted that we cannot overlook the fact that even with all of his defensive shortcomings Pock has still managed to register 6 points in something like 10 NHL games. Could be that this is just a case of the total package isn't equal to the sum of the parts and this guy just puts up points at the NHL level.
That was me. Now I fully admit that 10 games is hardly a good enough sample, but the fact remains that ALL Pock does, when inserted into games, is put up points. When it comes to the offensive side of play, he does everything we want to see out of our other puck movers. He makes crisp, tape-to-tape passes. His decision making in the other team's zone is excellent. For me, the most important aspect that I have seen of his offensive game is what he does when at the blueline of the other team. He knows when to pass and when to shoot. And when he does shoot, he knows when to use a slapshot or when a simple wrister is in order. And most important, he hits the net.
Maybe, as others contend, his defensive game is so inadequate that it will keep him out of the league. But, for all of his defensive woes, when he was in the lineup, the team gave up 2 goals. He is a rookie and certainly will make mistakes, and definetly needs to improve his defensive game. But, IMO, it is rather hard to simply overlook him considering that all he has done in virtually every NHL game is put up points.
Quote:
Also, I'd love to see Baranka or Liffiton being ready for the NHL but based on the fact that the Pack d has struggle all year I'd have to assume that they probably need another year at the AHL level. Of couse, I'm probably way off.
True, but how much of that is the fact that players like Grenier & Rullier are out there patroling the blueline? Certainly some of our younger defensemen take some of the blame, but the 'Pack can also struggle becuase they have a few players that may never see the light of day in the NHL.
Quote:
Your right I too would rather spend $3.5 on a solid d-man and another $700-$800 for a rookie. Since the pairing of Rosz/Malik has turned out better than anyone would expect what would you think of trying to move Kaspar or Ozo? Do you see either as an option? Not sure if there is much of a market for either though I could see Kaspar getting some attention. Also, if we deal Ozo and let Poti go we are back to square 1 in terms of having no d that can move the puck. None the less any of Chara, Redden, Jovo, McCabe and Witt would be an upgrade defensively over what we have right now.
I believe that in the salary cap era, players like Kasper or Ozo are virtually unmoveable, save at the deadline when their relative cap hit would not be as much. Kasper makes in excess of $3m & Ozo makes $2.75. That is not cheap. Whether I consider them an option or not, makes no difference. And honestly, Kasper has been good overall and, like Malik (can't believe I am saying this) has been the rock of our "no-name" defense. He is good in the lockerroom and is a very good teamate.
And you an also add a few names to the defensemen that you have named that whose addittion would qualify as an upgrade.

Old
03-17-2006, 10:24 AM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy
He can't go to Hartford because he is not 20 years old. If his team does lose early the Rangers should put him on their playoff roster.
Yes he can go to Hartford as long as his teams season is completed. Rule is there only to keep the talented under 20's in the junior leagues so the leagues stay competitive, but if his seasons done, its not like he'll be leaving his junior team out to dry. Even if he was assigned to the pack, I'm not sure how much playingtime he'd recieve due to chemistry worries. Iit would be really minimal then assigning him to the Rangers might make more sence because practicing with the big team would be more beneficial than with the pack, all other things(such as chances to actually play) being equal.

Old
03-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Nemchinov13

I don't know about Pock. Pock definitely has a nose for the puck, even if his offensive skills are somewhat raw. That's a good thing. In his second game, he had a few hits and he wasn't outmuscled from the puck too often. That's also a good thing. His coverage and positioning are the things that worry me. If he could learn that, he'd be as good as Poti. But would he continue to devop beyond the Poti stage? I guess if we're looking for the 6th/depth defenseman, he should suffice.

Old
03-17-2006, 11:30 AM
eco's bones

A lot of options to explore. We'll have to see how much the cap increases to. I don't think Ozo quite fits the bill for me as a #1 D and it's most because of his defense. In a sense Malik and him might make a good tandem--the one stays at home covering the others mistakes. Malik's size and wingspan might be all to the good there. Tyutin and Kaspar then. So if we were to get Zdeno's or Wade's signature on a contract or as TB alludes to--one of several other upgrades over Roszival or Poti--and if the team thinks Staal can handle it next year and not as a 7th d'man but someone who can play at least 70 games with something approaching 15 minutes a game--then you don't need to think about Roszival or Poti at all. They've been watching Staal and I would think would have a better idea of where he is at than we would (for the most part ). So Pock if he makes it is most likely going to be a spare. Lampman has missed practically the entire season. Sometimes things just don't work out for whatever reason. I don't consider him a prime contender. Baranka's a possibility. Which leaves us with Rachunek. Where does he fit in? We're going to be speculating about next years defense for the next six months. It's going to be one of those debates that go around and around.

Old
03-17-2006, 11:37 AM
bathgate

I'll throw in my opinion. Poti should be allowed to walk and Ozo let go on waivers or traded, if possible. We keep Malik, Rosie, Toots and Kaspar. The fight is on for the last two spots. My favorites to make the team are Baranka and Staal. T.B. will now criticize me for thinking two rookies in the lineup. However, if I were calling the shots, this would be my game plan.I still think we are rebuilding the nucleus. Comments?

Old
03-17-2006, 11:55 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate
I'll throw in my opinion. Poti should be allowed to walk and Ozo let go on waivers or traded, if possible. We keep Malik, Rosie, Toots and Kaspar. The fight is on for the last two spots. My favorites to make the team are Baranka and Staal. T.B. will now criticize me for thinking two rookies in the lineup. However, if I were calling the shots, this would be my game plan.I still think we are rebuilding the nucleus. Comments?
Sure. First of all, why would I criticize you for wanting to have 2 roookies in the top 6? I just do not see it as a realistic option. In no scenario, do I feel that there will be two spots left open on the defense for rookies to make. I would love for such a chance, but is not a realistic scenario. Sather almost certainly will make a run at one of the UFA defesemen we have described, whether or not Rozsival is here.
Second of all, Ozo being sent to waivers is just not a realistic scenarion either. There are dollars involved. In the salary-cap era, his $2.75 is not so tiny. I do not see Sather letting him go so easily, providing that anyone would claim him. Same thing for a trade. In the beginning of the year, his $2.75 will not be so easy for some teams to absorb. Not the teams that would be buyers for such a player, at any rate.

Old
03-17-2006, 12:00 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Well--to me I'd rather take a shot at and get a Chara, Redden, Kubina etc. than spend less and keep Roszival. I know he's worked well with Malik--even so I'd rather try to upgrade the D and bring in someone who'd be a more legitimate #1. Poti IMO is going to walk. As for Ozolinsh I think it's too early for me to decide on him. I'd rather see how the rest of the season and playoffs turn out. Baranka and Staal would need to be paired with guys that would help them. Malik? Kaspar? Don't have a problem if both Staal and Baranka are ready (you're part of the future is now brigade I see ) --just don't want them to be forced into the lineup if they're not. Both might need to fill out a little more. I'd rate both of them over Pock and Lampman who's future might be somewhere else. They need to do something with Rachunek besides. Either sign him with the idea he's going to play for you or trade him to someone else. He's too valuable a commodity to just let sit. In the case that we get rid of him and we still need one more guy (if ozo was gone too) then maybe Roszival could be slotted in there.

Old
03-17-2006, 12:08 PM
bathgate

T.B., I hear you. However, if this team is truly committed to a rebuild, I would bring in two rooks, if they are ready. I'm against a major free agent signing.From goal out, Henke, Toots, Staal, Baranka, if the latter two are ready.To me, the foundation of a back line and defense to become excited about for years to come.Thereafter, perhaps a Sauer and Liffiton

Old
03-17-2006, 12:29 PM
True Blue

Quote:
T.B., I hear you. However, if this team is truly committed to a rebuild, I would bring in two rooks, if they are ready.
I agree with you, but do not think that this will be realistic. And, in sooth, if we can sign a Redden, Jovo, McCabe,Mitchell, Gauthier or Witt I would probably prefer it. Especially the first three names. Where I would love to see 3 rookies would be one in the top 6 defensemen, one on the second line (Immonen) and one on the bottom 2 lines (Dawes or Helminen).

Old
03-17-2006, 02:09 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Bathgate I agree with you on Poti, however, I don't see getting rid of Ozo to be an easy task. I think you could sooner find a buyer for Kaspar then for Ozo. As to going with two rooks, I really feel if we get a chance to land a solid d-man like a Chara, Redden or Jovo then you gotta jump at it. These are guys that could anchor the d for years to come. The other thing is the Jagr era is not going to last long. If this team can win a round or two this season then we gotta expect Sather to make some moves to go for the whole enchilada next season. Frankly if we win a round or two then I'd like to see us be a little aggressive in the offseason and land one of the big three d-men. With Jagr, Prucha & Co. anchoring the offense and Henke in net its no too big of a reach to expect this team to have a legitimate shot at the whole thing next season.

Old
03-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Fletch

Two rookies is not realistic...

as much as I'd like to see it. I really hope that there is a spot open for someone to win next season. Would love to see Staal get a chance - there's a good possibility that he may have grown out of juniors and it would be a shame to send him down just because of a numbers game.

I'd love to see Baranka get a chance, but he seems like he still may need to work on his consistency and decision making down in Hartford for another season.

But TB I think you asked a Rozie question. It is my belief that management thinks he's done a good job, and thus would likely try to sign him. Not sure what his value to an outsider would be, but perhaps he can be had at a reasonable price. If so, I think Sather does it. One reason I believe that Rozie is liked is something Don's brother Dave Maloney said back in early December, I believe it was. When asked who has suprised him the most, he said Malik, Rozsival and Prucha. Not sure where he got that from, but at the time I remember thinking Malik and Rozsival were not playing all too well so I was shocked and thought that perhaps it came from conversations with Don. Yeah, pretty thin, but that's all I got.

And of course adding Rozie to Malik, Tyutin, Ozo and Kaspar gives you five. If there's a UFA signing, that's six and no room. If there's not, then there is room. Sather could surprise - go for a Redden or Chara and let Rozie walk - but with commitments to Malik, Ozo and Kaspar coming in near $8.5 million, that's a pretty price to pay for three defensemen.

Old
03-17-2006, 02:40 PM
bathgate

It seems Jersey hit the nail on the head. If you believe that with Jagr et al have a chance this year or next year, ufa is a reasonable course of action. With Henke in nets, there is the possibility that lightning can be caught in a bottle. However, I believe, hopefully wrongly, that the team is still a pretender not a contender. Therefore, I continue to build the nucleus from within with our homegrown kids. I resist, though tempting, a huge ufa. Two or three years from now,perhaps a big signing.Quebec/Colorado, the Icelanders, Montreal built great teams from within. Even Sather,once upon a time a long, long, time ago built a dynasty from within. I believe we stay the course for what started in 2003.

Old
03-17-2006, 02:56 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
And of course adding Rozie to Malik, Tyutin, Ozo and Kaspar gives you five. If there's a UFA signing, that's six and no room.
Therein lies the catch-22. I find it hard to believe that Sather will not go for one of the UFA d-men & I also find it hard to believe that he will not try to get Rozsival resigned. That the new contract will be a multi-year contract is not debateable, but for how much is. Will Sather cave in and give Rozsival $2.25m (give or take $250K)? One would hope not, but overpaying for someone who does not need to be overpaid for is something he has done throughout his entire tenure here.
Unfortunately, that will leave room for no rookie defenseman next year and only one the following year, when Ozo is gone. What that will mean is that some of these young defensemen that we all like so much, will probably not get their shot with the Rangers as they will become part of trades.
That is one of the many reasons why I believe that resigning Rozsival is like resigning Rucinsky. It is simply trying to ram a round peg into a square hole. If a UFA d-man is signed, if this team still wants to "rebuild", then there is simply no room for him.
Sather has to decide what he wants more. Does he want to upgrade from Rozsival and continue the rebuild or does he want to declare the rebuild over and go the entire veteran route? Does he want Rozsival and a UFA, Rozsival and a rookie, or a UFA and a rookie? The last choice is my choice, but it is only one out of three and I fear that his first choice may be the first.

Old
03-17-2006, 06:06 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
A lot of options to explore. We'll have to see how much the cap increases to. I don't think Ozo quite fits the bill for me as a #1 D and it's most because of his defense. In a sense Malik and him might make a good tandem--the one stays at home covering the others mistakes. Malik's size and wingspan might be all to the good there. Tyutin and Kaspar then. So if we were to get Zdeno's or Wade's signature on a contract or as TB alludes to--one of several other upgrades over Roszival or Poti--and if the team thinks Staal can handle it next year and not as a 7th d'man but someone who can play at least 70 games with something approaching 15 minutes a game--then you don't need to think about Roszival or Poti at all. They've been watching Staal and I would think would have a better idea of where he is at than we would (for the most part ). So Pock if he makes it is most likely going to be a spare. Lampman has missed practically the entire season. Sometimes things just don't work out for whatever reason. I don't consider him a prime contender. Baranka's a possibility. Which leaves us with Rachunek. Where does he fit in? We're going to be speculating about next years defense for the next six months. It's going to be one of those debates that go around and around.
Here's where Rachunek fits in - he's an asset. Who are the givens on D next year - Kaspar, Malik, Ozo and Tyutin...I think Poti is allowed to walk...Roszival gets settled AFTER the Rangers peruse the UFA pool...if they sign a Redden, McCabe or whomever...then Roszival gets to ply his wares elsewhere...especially if he's counting on a raise from $700,000 to $2.5 million. If not, he's a cheap alternative. Rachunek is invited to camp to showcase his value. He's insurance IF the likes of Baranka or Staal are not ready. If he plays well, but either Baranka or Staal are ready, he becomes a valuable commodity for a trade.

Old
03-17-2006, 07:16 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Here's where Rachunek fits in - he's an asset. Who are the givens on D next year - Kaspar, Malik, Ozo and Tyutin...I think Poti is allowed to walk...Roszival gets settled AFTER the Rangers peruse the UFA pool...if they sign a Redden, McCabe or whomever...then Roszival gets to ply his wares elsewhere...especially if he's counting on a raise from $700,000 to $2.5 million. If not, he's a cheap alternative. Rachunek is invited to camp to showcase his value. He's insurance IF the likes of Baranka or Staal are not ready. If he plays well, but either Baranka or Staal are ready, he becomes a valuable commodity for a trade.
He's also been suggested as possible trade bait to make a move up in the draft Jas. It's hard to know just exactly how the Rangers feel about him after his alleged expression of distaste for New York--whether it's just the hockey team they had then or the city or both. That is a judgement that the Rangers brain trust will have to make however. I agree though that he is an asset either as a player for us or as trade bait and it is in the best interest of the Rangers and their fans that they bring him back to North America and get some value out of him.

Old
03-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck
While most fans don't like Rachunek, and this topic is done to death, it still makes sense for NY to bring him to camp, let him show case that he is NHL worthy, and then decide to keep/trade him. An NHL ready Rachunek is more valuable that "the rights to him", in a trade/deal.
Bingo! To become an asset the Rangers have to get Rachunek under contract.

Old
03-18-2006, 05:27 PM
robertch

Quote:
It seems Jersey hit the nail on the head. If you believe that with Jagr et al have a chance this year or next year, ufa is a reasonable course of action. With Henke in nets, there is the possibility that lightning can be caught in a bottle. However, I believe, hopefully wrongly, that the team is still a pretender not a contender. Therefore, I continue to build the nucleus from within with our homegrown kids. I resist, though tempting, a huge ufa. Two or three years from now,perhaps a big signing.Quebec/Colorado, the Icelanders, Montreal built great teams from within. Even Sather,once upon a time a long, long, time ago built a dynasty from within. I believe we stay the course for what started in 2003.

I agree. Nothing wrong with a few outside aquisitions, but you don't build consistent winners with big UFA signings.

Closed Thread