HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez to be bought out? - Louis Jean on FAN 590

Old
05-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Let's not forget the risk of the upcoming CBA perhaps no longer allowing contracts to be buried in the minors. This is a possibility that has been discussed.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I feel like it's speculative enough that I added the tag to the thread title.

I mean, we don't (quite) have a GM yet (or not officially for a few more hours, anyway), and the buyout window isn't until June 15th. So I don't know how anybody can really do anything but speculate, even Louis Jean.

Molson may personally prefer the "high road" option of a buyout. But his new GM will have a month and a half to dissuade him from that if he has a different opinion. Or vice versa. More news may even come out about the bargaining stances for the CBA negotiations that could influence the decision. It's just too early for anybody to make a decision. Louis Jean could talk directly to Molson or Bergevin himself, and even *they* shouldn't yet have a final decision.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Lshap

What are the actual dollars on what Molson saves versus what the team saves in cap space, for a buyout versus a bury?

It's easy for us to sit here and spend Molson's money, but I'd like to see his perspective on what's at stake.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:38 AM
shutehinside

I can't see them buying him out. As pretty much everyone here knows, it's the worst thing to do.

They HAVE to bury him in the minors or send him home. Better for the tram, the cap and costs pretty much the exact same amount of money to the org. A buyout makes no sense what so ever.

Sounds like a game of telephone where someone said Gomez won't be around next year and it was interpreted as being "bought out" rather than sent down. At least I hope so.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:46 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Sportsnet's Louis Jean was just on FAN 590's Brady and Lang show and mentioned he just learned that Gomez's contract would be bought out. He said this decision was made by Molson before Bergevin takes on the GM job. Very curious given that we don't know if there may be an opportunity for an amnesty buy-out in the upcoming CBA that wouldn't go against our cap.
I was thinking the same thing. Why saddle us with the remainder of his cap hit for x number years when we may be able to get out SCOTT free like how I did that lol.

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:46 AM
HCH

Quote:
Your second option makes sense. Afterall it is Molson's wallet. I still don't understand why he didn't wait for new CBA unless it is expected that an amnesty buyout clause would include provision for any player still being paid by the organization.
Maybe he is saving that for Kaberle

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:48 AM
strutsboa

Like already mentioned, we only save $4,333,332 in cap space over 4 years. So that basically means that Gomez isn't even worth $2.15M per year in 2 years. I honestly think I would rather keep him and completely got him of the books in 2 years than buying him out (even if the numbers are fairly low year 3-4). If he somehow can rebound, $2.15M might be okey.

Buring him is so obvious that it shouldn't even be considered to do anything else...

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Sportsnet's Louis Jean was just on FAN 590's Brady and Lang show and mentioned he just learned that Gomez's contract would be bought out. He said this decision was made by Molson before Bergevin takes on the GM job. Very curious given that we don't know if there may be an opportunity for an amnesty buy-out in the upcoming CBA that wouldn't go against our cap.
Moronic move

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Exactly.

Not to mention a buyout is terrible for a few reasons.

1) It rewards the player for playing like ****.
2) It cripples your team salary cap wise for years.

If this is true, I've got no hope for the draft or anything this team does with Molson as owner.
How the **** does it reward the player?

He's going to get less money if he gets bought out, that's the point. If he gets buried, he still gets paid fully. Not to mention that burying might force the Habs not to spend to the cap every year - would you prefer that instead?

Come on Nate.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Scott Gomez buyout from CapGeek.com

2012-13: $3,523,810
2013-14: $4,523,810
2014-15: $1,666,667
2015-16: $1,666,667

Those are the caphits for becoming years if they buy him out.
Big deal.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:57 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Can't we just hire Tanya Harding to take out Gomez's legs and place him on IR?

The Gal Pals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Big deal.
It's 1.6 million to spend on something else

Money isn't a problem for the Montreal Canadiens so why not just send him to Hamilton and do what's best for your organization?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post

Money isn't a problem for the Montreal Canadiens so why not just send him to Hamilton and do what's best for your organization?
It's called PR. Repairing the image you've become a ****hole created by our predecessor.

Buying him out is the classy thing to do, and the right thing to do if the Habs want to right the ship in the eyes of the hockey world (and I'm talking about players looking at our situation).

Yes, it's not the right thing to do cap-wise, but the Habs need to pick what's more important to them: image/credibility or cap space (whose use can be hampered by said image/credibility or lack thereof).

Last edited by Coldplay: 05-02-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old
05-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Scott Gomez buyout from CapGeek.com

2012-13: $3,523,810
2013-14: $4,523,810
2014-15: $1,666,667
2015-16: $1,666,667

Those are the caphits for becoming years if they buy him out.
Crap the 1st two years that's too much space on the cap

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:02 AM
HCH

Quote:

We certainly want Gomez teaching his work ethic and displaying his grit to our prospects. As painful as giving up the cap space may be, it might be best to simply cut ties with him and buy him out.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
It's called PR. Repairing the image you've become a ****hole created by our predecessor.

Buying him out is the classy thing to do, and the right thing to do if the Habs want to right the ship in the eyes of the hockey world (and I'm talking about players looking at our situation).
Class like the Rangers did with Redden? No it's called you do what's best for your organization. You don't win a prize for class

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:05 AM
thegreaterikku

Montreal is a classy organisation and I believe the speculation. Montreal will never bury players or send them overseas to save on the cap, we are classy and we will play by the rule.

thegreaterikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:05 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Here's Bob McKenzie has to say about it:
Glad to have someone as well-respected as McKenzie come out publically and bash the idea of buying him out. I don't know if it'll stop the club from doing it but it can't hurt.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Class like the Rangers did with Redden? No it's called you do what's best for your organization. You don't win a prize for class
The Rangers don't have the privilege of being the politically-questionable, excessively-taxed, media-burden we are here. Not to mention that NY is the biggest city in the world, debatably (besides Tokyo).

Class goes a long way in cultivating your image in the eyes of opposing players. You think players hearing about this season's internal shenanigans from Cammalleri, etc will be enticed to come here? Not to mention the whole French thing.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:11 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
Like already mentioned, we only save $4,333,332 in cap space over 4 years. So that basically means that Gomez isn't even worth $2.15M per year in 2 years. I honestly think I would rather keep him and completely got him of the books in 2 years than buying him out (even if the numbers are fairly low year 3-4). If he somehow can rebound, $2.15M might be okey.

Buring him is so obvious that it shouldn't even be considered to do anything else...
How did you get 4.3 million? Gomez 2 years left at 5.5 and 4.5 million. Then we only pay 67% of the 10 million. Should be 3.3 million we save in buyout

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
No way Habs buy him out.

Gomez is goona make 5 million this year and 4.5 million next,

If they buy him out the cap hit will be 3.6 this year and 4.5 next...

I give him one more shot and see how he starts the season .

Worst case put him in AHL for a bit and let him find his game .
call him up after 10-15 games and see what happens ....

Actually now he is only making 5 million, his salary might be movable is he can produce a little more to a team needing to reach floor...

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
We still can't ignore the political implications of burying him in the minors. Players don't exactly beat down the doors at the Bell Centre to play here. Just saying.
Still moronic to use 11.4 mil of cap space just to save 3.3 mil in actual cash.

How much did it hurt Toronto, Edmonton, Chicago Buffalo and NYR to bury guys in the minors?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
We still can't ignore the political implications of burying him in the minors. Players don't exactly beat down the doors at the Bell Centre to play here. Just saying.
This is exactly why I'm arguing buying him out is the way to go.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:21 AM

If players don't want to come to MTL because there's a risk of getting buried in the minors if you suck like Gomez, I don't want those *****es on my team anyway.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
Yeah I totally agree with you guys, dont buy him out. He should really play on the 1st line and get P.P. time every game instead of young guys.

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote