HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez to be bought out? - Louis Jean on FAN 590

Old
05-02-2012, 09:25 AM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Starting to look like molson was the idiot the whole time.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Still moronic to use 11.4 mil of cap space just to save 3.3 mil in actual cash.

How much did it hurt Toronto, Edmonton, Chicago Buffalo and NYR to bury guys in the minors?
What happens if we can't bury players in minors after upcoming CBA. Also, I think Toronto and Edmonton are bad examples.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I won't believe it until I see it.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
What happens if we can't bury players in minors after upcoming CBA. Also, I think Toronto and Edmonton are bad examples.
If the 2 side of of the labour dispute wont allow players to be buried in the minors, they concession will have to be a one time buyout clause. Theres no way the owners allow the players to win on both those issues. It would be idiotic to buy out Gomez with that cap hit , especially in year 2 when the team should start showing signs of improvement.

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
What are the actual dollars on what Molson saves versus what the team saves in cap space, for a buyout versus a bury?

It's easy for us to sit here and spend Molson's money, but I'd like to see his perspective on what's at stake.
According to Bmac, they would save $3.3million buying out over burying in the minors.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Fozz

Buying out Gomez makes no sense. He has to be buried in the minors or traded.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
It's called PR. Repairing the image you've become a ****hole created by our predecessor.

Buying him out is the classy thing to do, and the right thing to do if the Habs want to right the ship in the eyes of the hockey world (and I'm talking about players looking at our situation).

Yes, it's not the right thing to do cap-wise, but the Habs need to pick what's more important to them: image/credibility or cap space (whose use can be hampered by said image/credibility or lack thereof).
While I agree with the importance of what you're saying, in this particular case, I can't see how it would impact the reputation of the club:
  • he doesn't have any personal issues that could have impacted his play
  • he was given every opportunity to turn things around
  • it's quite unambiguously the smart decision for the club from a hockey POV, and shows they have their eye on winning
I think the right thing to do is:
  • to sit down with him, explain all the reasons why this is going to happen
  • offer him around the league to anyone who would take him, including a 4th round draft pick. This gives him every opportunity to play in the league, and would solidify the decision being made.
  • explain that if he turns things around, he might be brought back up later in the year, or next year.
  • tell him to report to the AHL/ECHL in the fall.
  • wish him all the best

I don't think he's a bad guy, he just can't seem to play at this level anymore, at least at the level his contract is at.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Zeroknowledge*

If they do send him to Hamilton, I hope they send him home. I wouldn't want Gomez messing around and destroying the vibe with all our young prospects coming in.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:43 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
If they do send him to Hamilton, I hope they send him home. I wouldn't want Gomez messing around and destroying the vibe with all our young prospects coming in.

Gomez is bad but I don't think he is a cancer

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Gomez is bad but I don't think he is a cancer
When you're making 7 million a year and have to resort to taking the bus for 10 hours and living in Hamilton the cancer will come out no matter what.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:48 AM
yianik

I get the initial concern over attracting UFA if you bury a guy in the minors, but I dont think that is a real concern, teams have buried guys and still are able to sign UFAs. If a team was doing this alot Id see it as a problem. I also cant see it as a problem since we aretalking about Gomez, a player who has not even remotely come close to fulfilling his end of the deal ( Im sure everyone knows if he was putting up 65 plus points this wouldnt even be considered ) and having had several years to make good.
If its a buyout over being buried in the minors so we dont take any cap hit, then it is really horrible and speaks badly of Molson. I know, who wants to throw away $10M, but if he is that committed to winning hed do it, Im sure Gillett would have. Not entirely surprised though, when the brewery still owned the team they wanted the budget at about $40m and not happy about losing a few million, Gillett was willingto take more of a loss to hopefuly recoup in the playoffs. This is still just rumour but if true , not good for us and would not be impressed at all with Molson.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Scott Gomez buyout from CapGeek.com

2012-13: $3,523,810
2013-14: $4,523,810
2014-15: $1,666,667
2015-16: $1,666,667

Those are the caphits for becoming years if they buy him out.
Damn... I hope it is not true. I wish for (1) a swap for future considerations to a team who desperately needs to reach the cap floor or (2) a demotion in the AHL.

Btw... people from outside of Montreal are not (Stephen "abortion talks" Harper aside!) idiots: they also see his recurrent inability (lack of willpower) to transform his numerous talks into on ice results. Its (his potential AHL demotion) impact on our capacity to attract UFAs would be minimal imo.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 05-02-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:50 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

I still remember to this day when the Rangers signed him and that reaction of 7 yrs attached to his name and the day we traded him.

Montreal fans are getting the Gomez experience right now. In time it shall pass

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If you can't then you go to plan B and try to trade him to a small market for a lesser contract or something like that.

You stick with plan A unless plan A is not available. last I checked new CBA has not been signed.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:03 AM
xIggy93x

I still don't get why Montreal traded Ryan McDonagh in a trade for Gomez, especially at the rate of his contract. Was McDonagh not as highly projected at the time?

If they buy out his contract, there must be a reason. Believing having him on the team affects the team morale, perhaps?

The logical choice is to put him in the minors, and let it run it's course. Otherwise, what's the point?

xIggy93x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:06 AM
zeeto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
When you're making 7 million a year and have to resort to taking the bus for 10 hours and living in Hamilton the cancer will come out no matter what.
It didn't happen with Redden.

zeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Buying out Gomez makes no sense. He has to be buried in the minors or traded.
You can't trade him and sending him to the minors would be a waste of time because even if his salary wouldn't show up on the mass they will still end up paying it.

Whether you work in NHL or in the AHL you still receive the same amount of money on your contract.

Don't know where people got the information that sending a player to the AHL means not paying him anymore.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIggy93x View Post
If they buy out his contract, there must be a reason. Believing having him on the team affects the team morale, perhaps?
I have to believe that they don't think the team is as far away from "competing" as the standings this year would have indicated. As such, there's probably a lot they think they can do with the millions of dollars of cap space in the immediate short term and/or want a different kind of player occupying his roster spot asap.

If you run the numbers, it gives the Habs almost 4 million more to work with next year, and almost 3 million more the year after that, and the "penalty" is only 1.66 million "wasted" in each of years 3 and 4. Over 6 million more to work with over the next two years at the expense of 3.3 million over years 3 and 4. Makes sense on a lot of levels, especially if they believe there could be a couple of smaller additions that might make a big difference in the short term. Oh, and they won't be making a guy rich for sandbagging along the way, because they won't have to pay that salary.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
uh-oh...

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:15 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Caphits:
2012-13: $3,523,810
2013-14: $4,523,810
2014-15: $1,666,667
2015-16: $1,666,667

Yuck

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Dead

Quote:
Gotcha.

So $2.5m sounds like the cap hit for each of the next 4 years eh?

A buyout would be beyond stupid. Send his ass to the minors (if that would remove the cap hit) the. Avery him if he is not a good role model for the future nhl players

Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:16 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
You can't trade him and sending him to the minors would be a waste of time because even if his salary wouldn't show up on the mass they will still end up paying it.

Whether you work in NHL or in the AHL you still receive the same amount of money on your contract.

Don't know where people got the information that sending a player to the AHL means not paying him anymore.
You still pay them, just doesn't count against the cap.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:19 AM
the

I don't think that Scott Gomez is a cancer and I don't think the guy is lacking effort either.I know he's horrible and everybody wants him out but I rather see him stay and play on the 4th line until his contract end.He was doing a decent job but Cunneyworth decided to put him on powerplay and give him some extra minutes.

We are probably not going to make the playoffs this year either so it wouldn't be much of a waste to keep him atleast one more year.Keep him,put him 4th line,DON'T give him extra ice time.I think with a reduce role he can do the job and after 2 years the nightmare is done.

If you buy him out then you bettter bring back Saku Koivu!

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:21 AM
FinnHab

Gomez situation reminds me of Redden`s case. Both are expensive pile of crap. If i remember correctly Redden was playing shortly in minors before Rags bought him out?

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:21 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
According to Bmac, they would save $3.3million buying out over burying in the minors.
If you also include the salary they can't spend due to Gomer's lingering cap hit, the "savings" totals ~14$m

I sure hope beer prices go down.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote