HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez to be bought out? - Louis Jean on FAN 590

Old
05-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
Why is anyone taking this rumor seriously right now. I think it's obvious that Gomez is likely not to be on the roster next year. How they deal with his contract is TBD. There's not particular rush to buy him out at this moment. For sure the issue of Gomez came up during the interview process, so if there is indeed a plan in place to buy him out (either under the old CBA terms or whatever might be new ones, including an amnesty window) it's almost guaranteed Molson and Bergevin have agreed on it already, as they will have to do in future situations if/when they arise.

Ah Montreal, within minutes of a new GM being hired his/Molson's handling of Gomez is already under fire. So much stupid in this sport.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
You can't trade him and sending him to the minors would be a waste of time because even if his salary wouldn't show up on the mass they will still end up paying it.

Whether you work in NHL or in the AHL you still receive the same amount of money on your contract.

Don't know where people got the information that sending a player to the AHL means not paying him anymore.
Except, sending him to the AHL means ZERO cap hit on the NHL club. Buying him out leaves a stinky odor for the next four years. No one here gives a flying hoot about MTL having to shell out the cash. It's all about the cap hit.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
How they deal with his contract is TBD. There's not particular rush to buy him out at this moment.
Doesn't sound like it's "TBD" at all, unless you know something the media doesn't. Sounds like Molson already has it set on Bergevin's plate among things he must do upon accepting the position (since I don't think there's a mechanism for an owner to simply take over roster manipulations unless they bother to officially name themselves interim GM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Except, sending him to the AHL means ZERO cap hit on the NHL club. Buying him out leaves a stinky odor for the next four years. No one here gives a flying hoot about MTL having to shell out the cash. It's all about the cap hit.
It's not "all about the cap hit" at all, necessarily. Maybe Molson has had enough, and doesn't want to pay Gomez 10 million over the next 2 years no matter WHERE he is, let alone at a level where those millions of dollars in salary have absolutely no chance of generating nearly enough revenue to recoup the cost. How does investing 10 million to have Gomez in the AHL to free up an extra 7-8 million in cap space make any sense on a company balance sheet anyway?

Buying him out is the "gentlemen's way" of cutting ties with an established veteran without embarrassing them with a 4 year demotion/banishing, and giving them the opportunity to immediately seek employment elsewhere. And in this particular case I think Molson has run the numbers and sees how it makes sense on multiple levels, not the least of which is PR and player relations.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 05-02-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:28 AM
strutsboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
How did you get 4.3 million? Gomez 2 years left at 5.5 and 4.5 million. Then we only pay 67% of the 10 million. Should be 3.3 million we save in buyout
Look at my previous post on page 2.

Roughly his cap hit for 2 years (without buying out) would be $14.6M and the cap hit over 4 year (with buy out) would be around $10.3M.

So in cap space (not actual money) we save around $4.3M by not having Gomez for two years. Therefor it's basically $4.3M in cap space or Gomez on contract in 2 years.

If we don't think Gomez could be worth $2.15M*2 years, then it's better to buy him out. But do we honestly find a better player for that money? (Assuming Gomez could rebound atleast a bit)

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
You still pay them, just doesn't count against the cap.
It's exactly what I wrote.

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Gustave

I have a question for you cap nerds; why is there a spike in cap hit in year 2 and then a drop off in year 3 and 4? Pertaining to Gomez's buyout, of course.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
It's not realistic to say that for he next 4 years we could just leave him in the minors forever, buyout is the only real option or he might want to play in Europe but I got a feeling he wouldn't want this.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:34 AM
JackZap

dumbest **** ive heard all morning.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
I have a question for you cap nerds; why is there a spike in cap hit in year 2 and then a drop off in year 3 and 4? Pertaining to Gomez's buyout, of course.
Next year we have 9 RFA to or not to sign and 4 UFA

Old
05-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Peculiar for three reasons:

1) as the OP mentioned, there may be opportunity for amnesty buyout;

2) why this was done prior to Bergevin getting his hands on the club (though, it likely was discussed in interviews with all candidates);

3) why add these cap dollars when a player may be hidden in the minors
I don't really understand why we're doing this either... Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
http://capgeek.com/faq/how-do-buyouts-work.php

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:48 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
It's not realistic to say that for he next 4 years we could just leave him in the minors forever, buyout is the only real option or he might want to play in Europe but I got a feeling he wouldn't want this.
They could send him to the AHL this year and then buy him out the following summer, cap hit would only be on the books for 2 years instead of 4. Playing in Europe would be even better.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Weis
Rise Together

Quote:
There's only 2 years remaining on his contract, it would be 2 years in the minor. 4 years is number of years it would affect our cap if they buy him out. It would be a bad move...

Weis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't really understand why we're doing this either... Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
If we had a cheap owner needing to save every possible buck, then I'd get it.
But if all Molson saves is 3.3M dollars, when he could possibly replace the cap hit with a guy like Parise/Suter, it doesn't quite make sense.

In any event, rumors are just that, rumors. I'm sure it won't be long before the rumors for Roy or coaches start to roll in too.

Gomez being bought out has been on the mind of every single Mtl fan all season long.
But that's all it is, a rumor.
We'll see what happens.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
TheBuriedHab

Uhhh, why. Unless theres another amnesty period, this would be stupid. Just send him down and save 7.3 on the cap.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Schwang

Just listened to Bobby Mac on TSN. He could not stress enough how stupid it would be to buy him out. Said it creates a `dead`cap hit. The hit would be 4.5, 3.5, 1.7 and 1.7 over 4 yrs. He said the best option is to bury him in Hamilton. You pay his salary, but there is no cap hit to the big club. He brought up Finger and Redden as good examples of this.

Obviously, this means he still counts as one of the 50 contracts tho. Look at it this way, if he doesn`t report, he gets suspended. If he embraces it, maybe he helps our youngsters or even works his way back to the NHL.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:03 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
Gomez situation reminds me of Redden`s case. Both are expensive pile of crap. If i remember correctly Redden was playing shortly in minors before Rags bought him out?
Redden is still in the minors...In fact he is the captain of the AHL team

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

I don't have a problem with this. Would rather we didn't feel the cap hit for a few years, but not having Gomez anywhere close to anyone in this organization is pretty awesome too.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
Just listened to Bobby Mac on TSN. He could not stress enough how stupid it would be to buy him out. Said it creates a `dead`cap hit. The hit would be 4.5, 3.5, 1.7 and 1.7 over 4 yrs. He said the best option is to bury him in Hamilton. You pay his salary, but there is no cap hit to the big club. He brought up Finger and Redden as good examples of this.

Obviously, this means he still counts as one of the 50 contracts tho. Look at it this way, if he doesn`t report, he gets suspended. If he embraces it, maybe he helps our youngsters or even works his way back to the NHL.
See that bolded part? That's a pretty important factor right now, considering changes have to be made, and there are lots of prospects/draft picks that I'd hate to lose this year or next as the "odd man out" of a limited # of contracts issue involving Gomez "in the way". Plus, if the cap goes up by anywhere close to what Gomez's buyout would cost, the real issue shifts to the 50 contracts anyway.

Furthermore, I wouldn't want a dejected and exiled Gomez in a dressing room with our young players playing "meaningless" games for an exorbitant amount of money. Think Gomez seems unmotivated sometimes these days? Wait till he's stuck in the minors "showing" our youngsters how to "earn" the big bucks with no hope/plan for bringing him back up, since the plan would presumably be to use up the freed cap space in another way, leaving no possible return for him to the Habs.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Uhhh, why. Unless theres another amnesty period, this would be stupid. Just send him down and save 7.3 on the cap.
I don't get why they would buy him out and I don't buy the class ****. You have money Molson, send him to Hamilton!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Somehow, in the "but how would we look" business, I wouldn't be surprised to see Molson doing it. Aside from the Laraque fiasco and the "you're fired" by Gainey, Habs aren't in the business in making you look bad 'cause what will the team look like. There was enough negative publicity last year with that stupid improvisation, that if you have to choose your poison, you choose the buy-out and let the guy re-start his career instead of letting him rot in hell. So on a player's perspective, you might look better by doing it. Add also the fact that if Gomez is still part of our organization, chances are there would be a Gomez watch as to how he's doing, whether it's great or bad. Would a new management have to deal with that kind of distraction?

I personnally would NOT buy him out. I couldn't care less how we look. We need the money we can to be the best we can. That's more important in my eyes. And players outside of the team knows that Gomez had a lot of chances and whatever is happening right now is a whole lot of his fault.....but somehow I don't believe that's how Molson sees this.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:40 PM
macavoy

Well at least he can't be bought out till summertime. Hopefully by then Bergevin convinces Molson that it would be a terrible mistake to buy him out.

We might have to organize a rally saying we want him on the Dogs.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:45 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Furthermore, I wouldn't want a dejected and exiled Gomez in a dressing room with our young players playing "meaningless" games for an exorbitant amount of money. Think Gomez seems unmotivated sometimes these days? Wait till he's stuck in the minors "showing" our youngsters how to "earn" the big bucks with no hope/plan for bringing him back up, since the plan would presumably be to use up the freed cap space in another way, leaving no possible return for him to the Habs.
Gomez has one of the best personalities in hockey and with the effect he has had on the Canadiens youngsters in the last few seasons keeping them out of trouble and teaching them how to properly take care of themselves on the road, him in Hamilton wouldn't be a bad thing.

That all said, Gomez would likely find a European team to take him for the next two seasons. He wouldn't report to Hamilton.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Doesn't sound like it's "TBD" at all, unless you know something the media doesn't.
I'm not saying I know anything the media doesn't, I'm saying LOTS of stuff gets printed in the media that ends up not being true. If it doesn't sound rational, and having pre-decided to take on cap hit that may not be necessary under the new CBA sounds anything but rational, then I suggest taking it with a grain of salt. If you'd rather take every media rumor as conclusive fact, go ahead and do so.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
Buying Gomez out is the most professional way of handling this situation. Yeah, it sucks, but that's the price you pay for assuming the contract. We'll have to eat the cap hit for a few years, but it should pay dividends in the future when it comes to attracting players to the organization.

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote