HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez to be bought out? - Louis Jean on FAN 590

Old
05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
TheBuriedHab

vCash: 500
So just heard the clip of Bob Mckenzie. Said that if they buy Gomez out, whoever makes the decision should resign. Because like I said its stupid, Why have dead cap money for 4 years rather than just send him down for 2 years and have no dead cap space. Just does not make sense.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
So just heard the clip of Bob Mckenzie. Said that if they buy Gomez out, whoever makes the decision should resign. Because like I said its stupid, Why have dead cap money for 4 years rather than just send him down for 2 years and have no dead cap space. Just does not make sense.
But we have "class"

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
In addition to this point, any one dead set on a single option of how to handle Gomez right now before the new CBA is settled should be fired for being way too ahead of themselves. No one knows what bad contract options there will be this summer. The AHL loophole might be closed, there might be an amnesty period and the terms of a regular buyout might be changed.

You might be also in a position to trade him to a team that struggles to get to the floor like the Islanders so they can get that free ~5 million of dead cap for the next two years due to the way a normal buyout would be costed.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:04 PM
peate
Good grief!

We send him to Hamilton, suddenly we are plagued with injuries and have to call him up. What are the chances someone claims him on re-entry waivers and how would that affect his cap hit? Not going to happen but just wondering.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Bullsmith

I don't see why buying him out is automatically the right thing to do from a "moral"' or "class" standpoint. The guy played his way off the team, after being given every opportunity. He can't even contribute as at third liner. Why shouldn't he have to report to Hamilton to earn the massive paycheck he's signed for? It's a competitive league and these contracts are a two-way gamble. In this case the club surely has option to give him his full pay (meeting their obligation) and not take on cap without getting anything in return beyond "being classy." The rangers buried Reddon and still make the biggest UFA splash almost every year. This is a Rangers contract, but we can't do what the Rangers clearly would do with it? Why not?

Personally I'm going to wait and see how this plays out before I believe the team will make a move like buying him out this summer. Lots of rational reasons not to do this versus some radio-based rumor that it's already a done deal. I believe it's a done deal he won't be back with the Habs, but I'll wait and see how the team goes about doing that before I judge it.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Habs514

Best solution would be sending him to Europe like what Chicago did with Huet.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:11 PM
idk

I'm not advocating buying him out as opposed to burying him in the minors, but there are a couple of reasons not to just bury him:

(1) He counts as one of our fifty contracts. We've always been closer to 50 contracts than closer to the cap. Perhaps some consideration must be given to managing our contract limit as well.

(2) He has a lot of friends on the team. Or he might any ways. He seems to be liked well enough, although I recall him and Gill having a run in a couple seasons ago. I any case there is something to be said for morale, and sending a guy who is well liked to Hamilton might hurt morale more than the cap space helps.

(3) A negative effect in Hamilton. Gomez is perhaps one of the most professional men in the game (you'd have to, to be a guy who went more than a year without scoring a goal in Montreal) but he's not going to be happy with an AHL assignment (or maybe he would be - still getting paid big bucks after all). If he sulks, even if he tries to control it, others will notice. And with some many promising young guys in the system do we want to let them be dragged into Scott's rain cloud.

(4) Makes the team look Mickey Mouse. Less than it would have a couple years ago mind you - with Souray and Redden being amongst the big names that have been reassigned. Still a risk.

(5) It saves Molson $$$. No sense in denying the truth. Molson saves money. Doesn't help the team directly, but helps them indirectly.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
I'm not advocating buying him out as opposed to burying him in the minors, but there are a couple of reasons not to just bury him:

(1) He counts as one of our fifty contracts. We've always been closer to 50 contracts than closer to the cap. Perhaps some consideration must be given to managing our contract limit as well.

(2) He has a lot of friends on the team. Or he might any ways. He seems to be liked well enough, although I recall him and Gill having a run in a couple seasons ago. I any case there is something to be said for morale, and sending a guy who is well liked to Hamilton might hurt morale more than the cap space helps.

(3) A negative effect in Hamilton. Gomez is perhaps one of the most professional men in the game (you'd have to, to be a guy who went more than a year without scoring a goal in Montreal) but he's not going to be happy with an AHL assignment (or maybe he would be - still getting paid big bucks after all). If he sulks, even if he tries to control it, others will notice. And with some many promising young guys in the system do we want to let them be dragged into Scott's rain cloud.

(4) Makes the team look Mickey Mouse. Less than it would have a couple years ago mind you - with Souray and Redden being amongst the big names that have been reassigned. Still a risk.

(5) It saves Molson $$$. No sense in denying the truth. Molson saves money. Doesn't help the team directly, but helps them indirectly.

I think the team image argument is specious. How badly have the Rangers and Devils looked after using that loophole. Both teams have signed big names afterward. And usually the 50th guy with an NHL contract is such a marginal asset I doubt he's worth the cap hit to the main club.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:14 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
We send him to Hamilton, suddenly we are plagued with injuries and have to call him up. What are the chances someone claims him on re-entry waivers and how would that affect his cap hit? Not going to happen but just wondering.
After losing Vermette, re-entry Gomez would be perfect for Columbus.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Craig71

Why Bob Gainey Why?

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vokiel
Nothing blind

Loaning his "skills" to a Europeean team would be a better strategy, if such a team with ... "tremendous" vision exists.

Edit: BTW in before this turns into a trollfest/flame war. Cause you know it will.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I think the team image argument is specious. How badly have the Rangers and Devils looked after using that loophole. Both teams have signed big names afterward.
You're correct that it doesn't hurt the team image as much as people like to assume but you don't want to be the team who has a reputation for discarding players at moments notice. To some, the Senators still haven't repaired their image after signing Hossa and then trading him right after for Heatley. That's the real reason Chara didn't re-sign.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:17 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

I like the re-entry idea and hope it's attempted before any sort of buy out.

I could see a team willing to pay Gomez 2.75 and 2.25 over the next 2 years on a flier.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Pleky Roks

HUGE MISTAKE.....if it happens!!!

Gomez needs to be traded or sent to the minors in order to keep his salary from effecting cap space!!

There is no reason to pay $3.5 or $4.5 million of Gomez contract for the next couple of seasons and taking up cap space for other players when we could send him to the minors, give him his money without effecting the Cap and let him play his days out in Hamilton.

No reason to buy this bum out....trade him for a 7th round pick, a bag of pucks or an old jock strap or send him to the minors...just don't buy him out!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:30 PM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 677
If the Rangers did it with Redden and other players in the past, why couldn't we just to the same. It has nothing to do with being classy. The Rangers are always signing the best players on the market no matter.

I'm tired to have a Mr. Classy Nice Guy type of team.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

If Molson uses this instead of burying him it has everything to do with being F$%^ing cheap and nothing to do with "class".

The guy sucked this year, I defended him last year but he showed up this year and couldn't make things happen. This is the second year in a row where he hasn't come even close to living up to his contract. If he was putting up 60 points a year you can say he was worth 5-5.5 mil and he is only "wasting" 2 mil of cap room, but he finished the year on the 4th line.

The only "classy" thing to do is to waive him...anybody can pay him 10 mil the next 2 years and have him for free. If nobody picks him, then give him the option to go play AHL, ECHL, Europe or KHL and offer to waive him again in a year hoping a team is interested at 4.5 mil for 1 year.

Again the "class" thing is ******** for a team that brings in 300 mil/year in revenue. Unless they change that in the new CBA where anybody making more than X dollars can't have his cap number wiped out by send him him AHL/Europe...that would be the ONLY good reason to buy him out.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
I don't see why buying him out is automatically the right thing to do from a "moral"' or "class" standpoint. The guy played his way off the team, after being given every opportunity. He can't even contribute as at third liner. Why shouldn't he have to report to Hamilton to earn the massive paycheck he's signed for? It's a competitive league and these contracts are a two-way gamble. In this case the club surely has option to give him his full pay (meeting their obligation) and not take on cap without getting anything in return beyond "being classy." The rangers buried Reddon and still make the biggest UFA splash almost every year. This is a Rangers contract, but we can't do what the Rangers clearly would do with it? Why not?

Personally I'm going to wait and see how this plays out before I believe the team will make a move like buying him out this summer. Lots of rational reasons not to do this versus some radio-based rumor that it's already a done deal. I believe it's a done deal he won't be back with the Habs, but I'll wait and see how the team goes about doing that before I judge it.
Players line up to play in New York for the Rangers. This was the case even when they were losing. The Habs don't have that luxury.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:31 PM
BigHab*

So we are now up to 7 pages of opinions on a rumor propagated by someone who apparently got his information from another unreliable source? Can someone please tell me why this 'rumor' is still being discussed? Good grief...is there not an actual story that can be discussed? How about Nashville suspending Kostitsyn and Radulov? At least the event actually took place...

BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:37 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Maybe management doesn't want its prospects to come in contact with Gomez? Management may estimate that the cost of buying out Gomez is less than having him corrupt the young players.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:38 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Burry him is the solution not buy him out...
Or not keep him within our organization......that sounds better and more realistic. Buy Out! Buy Out! Buy Out!

I bet if we sent him to Hamilton he wouldn't even report. Anyone know what happens in a situation like that? If we sent him down and he doesn't report......does his contract get voided or what?

shiftycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Maybe management doesn't want its prospects to come in contact with Gomez? Management may estimate that the cost of buying out Gomez is less than having him corrupt the young players.
If you really think that's an issue (and I kind of doubt it) you can do what Edmonton did with Souray and loan him to a more autonomous AHL franchise that likes having veteran talent like Hershey or Chicago. Or find a home in Europe for him.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHab View Post
So we are now up to 7 pages of opinions on a rumor propagated by someone who apparently got his information from another unreliable source? Can someone please tell me why this 'rumor' is still being discussed? Good grief...is there not an actual story that can be discussed? How about Nashville suspending Kostitsyn and Radulov? At least the event actually took place...
Maybe because this is the Habs board and not the Predators board?

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Players line up to play in New York for the Rangers. This was the case even when they were losing. The Habs don't have that luxury.
I agree that's true, but really has their treatment of Reddon had any impact whatsoever? None that I can see, because he so clearly played his own way into the AHL. Gomez is in a similar situation. You sign a contract worth that much money, you may well end up being a cap problem they need to bury down the road. The reason that's okay is you get paid the full amount if they do it.

Really the media, the pressure Francophone players know they'll be under if they sign here, the ferocious pressure to win are all more important factors to future UFAs than how Gomez finishes his career as a hab. Just IMO, of course.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
the

vCash: 50
Class? Bullsh*t if I learned anything the last few years is that this franchise doesn't have class.After being the Habs longest serving captain we kick Saku Koivu out of town like a dog,whitout even thanking him.Don't start talking about class,it's been a damn long time this organisation showed class.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:11 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
Class? Bullsh*t if I learned anything the last few years is that this franchise doesn't have class.After being the Habs longest serving captain we kick Saku Koivu out of town like a dog,whitout even thanking him.Don't start talking about class,it's been a damn long time this organisation showed class.
Saku signing with the Ducks on a 7m dollar contract is kicking him out like a dog?

Get a grip.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote