HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Evgeny Kuznetsov

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 01:12 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
It's too bad really. This team needs this kid's infusion in the worst way. If he doesn't want to play in the NHL, I have to question his desire to be great.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
05-02-2012, 01:13 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
What the **** is with the questioning of Kuznetsov's character? Seriously?

"You turned down my team, you must be a ********!"

In what world is deciding to play in your hometown near your family (new wife included) and friends a poor display of character? How is deciding to help represent your country when it hosts the Olympic games a negative character trait?
Sorry should've specified what I meant by character......I have no issue with Kuz wanting to stay home or play for Russia in the Olympics but you have to be impressed with Galiev and how he came over to play for the USHL and then to the Q.....that's what I was referring to.

Old
05-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Capathetic

I dont think he ever comes over. Its not just hunter who runs a defensive style,couple that with all the other hometown advantages and money and I just think he wont want to work for it. Im looking at Radulov and am not all that impressed..hes got some goals sure...mainly rebounds and such all while hes breaking curfew with the preds. Not all russians but many are still looking to party too much.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:05 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
I have no issue with Kuz wanting to stay home or play for Russia in the Olympics but you have to be impressed with Galiev and how he came over to play for the USHL and then to the Q.....that's what I was referring to.
I think you're forgetting that Kuznetsov became a KHL regular at 17. Should've he gone to the NA instead?
Where was Galiev evеn playing before USHL?

Last edited by Acallabeth: 05-02-2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old
05-02-2012, 03:24 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
I wonder if theres a possibility hes being told the NHL is gonna scheme against Russia and not let him play in Sochi, even though I think the GMs were pretty happy with the Olympics and so were players.

Its not too far fetched considering he has a Russian and American agent, the Russian agent would probably lie to keep getting commissions from him. Add in the language barrier... Hopefully Ovi some how gets him to delay...

Old
05-02-2012, 05:20 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
It's too bad really. This team needs this kid's infusion in the worst way. If he doesn't want to play in the NHL, I have to question his desire to be great.
So he can't be a great hockey player unless he plays in North America (the NHL)?

What the hell is wrong with the kid wanting to play in the country in which he grew up? The people who think the Caps are entitled to have this guy play for them are hilarious.

I want him to play for the Caps too but it's his life. Get over yourselves.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:05 AM
amjay13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
I think you're forgetting that Kuznetsov became a KHL regular at 17. Should've he gone to the NA instead?
Where was Galiev evеn playing before USHL?
Galiev was playing at a high level in the USHL at 16.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Galiev was playing at a high level in the USHL at 16.
Yes, but is this equal to playing in the 2nd best league in the world? I think no.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:31 AM
bonzilla

This just in..Kuz' mother-in-law weighs in:

Old
05-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
and here come all the holier than thou jagoffs...

Old
05-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Fader

His Wife and family were the main reasons. It's too bad for NHL fans because he would have brought alot of excitement to the Caps, but can't blame the guy for staying in his culture and environment that he is acustomed.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:08 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Yes, but is this equal to playing in the 2nd best league in the world? I think no.
That's due to talent....I'm referring to Galiev coming over to a foreign country at 16 so he could better prepare himself for the NHL

Old
05-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
That's due to talent....I'm referring to Galiev coming over to a foreign country at 16 so he could better prepare himself for the NHL
And I repeat my question. Is playing in the USHL->QMJHL a better preparation for the NHL or anything else than playing in the 2nd best professional league in the world? I don't think that there's a lot of things to admire. He chose a path he considered better and easier, Kuznetsov did the same. What exactly are you that impressed with? No offense, I just don't like when guys say that coming to NA is a display of great courage while staying in Russia is some bounty islands.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Quote:
And I repeat my question. Is playing in the USHL->QMJHL a better preparation for the NHL or anything else than playing in the 2nd best professional league in the world?
Yes.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:34 PM
hyzer23

Quote:
And I repeat my question. Is playing in the USHL->QMJHL a better preparation for the NHL or anything else than playing in the 2nd best professional league in the world? I don't think that there's a lot of things to admire. He chose a path he considered better and easier, Kuznetsov did the same. What exactly are you that impressed with? No offense, I just don't like when guys say that coming to NA is a display of great courage while staying in Russia is some bounty islands.
at age 16, absolutely

Old
05-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Yes.
I disagree. What exactly makes it better?

Old
05-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Their purpose Is to prepare players for the NHL.
The KHL is not.

Look at how many players are drafted from the USHL or QMJHL, and then the KHL.

Look at how many players play in the NHL from the USHL/Q and then from the KHL.

Simple.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:45 PM
PSUCapsFan

Quote:
Icetime? KHL teams are there to win games, not develop kids for the NHL.

Galievs development was improved due to him playing big minutes in crucial situations. If he could get those same minutes in the KHL then that would be fine to, but he couldn't.

IMO if a Russian player can get big minutes in the KHL then that is an advantage because he is competing against better competition than NA junior leagues. Even if Kuz stays in Russia for the full 2 years I'm not worried at all about his development. When the time comes and he decides to come over he will be ready.

As a Caps fan though it totally sucks.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
In addition to icetime (as already mentioned), there's the cultural/language adaptation as well. Plus the smaller ice, although I won't pretend the Q is particularly similar to NHL-style hockey, compared to some of the alternatives.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Their purpose Is to prepare players for the NHL.
The purpose of the USHL is to give the kids who want to play college a place to play at a fairly high level without losing their eligibility. If it is only about playing in the NHL then the USHL kids are not playing there they are playing in the CHL.

And anyone choosing to play in the CHL instead of the KHL is simply making a trade off of playing against lesser competition to get used to the smaller ice surface and NA culture. Making the blanket statement that one is better than the other is ridiculous.

Old
05-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
Icetime? KHL teams are there to win games, not develop kids for the NHL.

Galievs development was improved due to him playing big minutes in crucial situations. If he could get those same minutes in the KHL then that would be fine to, but he couldn't.

IMO if a Russian player can get big minutes in the KHL then that is an advantage because he is competing against better competition than NA junior leagues. Even if Kuz stays in Russia for the full 2 years I'm not worried at all about his development. When the time comes and he decides to come over he will be ready.

As a Caps fan though it totally sucks.
And that is fine for Galiev but Kuznetsov was good enough to earn big minutes as a young player in the KHL so ice time clearly wasn't an issue for him.

Again my issue is with the blanket statement that coming to NA is the better way because that isn't necessarily true.

Old
05-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
In addition to icetime (as already mentioned), there's the cultural/language adaptation as well. Plus the smaller ice, although I won't pretend the Q is particularly similar to NHL-style hockey, compared to some of the alternatives.
So Ovechkin was great as a rookie but just think of how much greater he would have been if he had spent the year before in the Q instead? I don't buy that...

Old
05-02-2012, 01:16 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
no offense taken, Im enjoying the debate.......I think it does take a lot of courage and character to come to NA at 16 as it would if a NA player would head to Russia at 16 to play.

Old
05-02-2012, 01:21 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
So Ovechkin was great as a rookie but just think of how much greater he would have been if he had spent the year before in the Q instead? I don't buy that...
I didn't say it applied to every prospect, but it certainly diminishes the "Russian factor," which is also a much more serious consideration now than it was when Ovi was drafted.

I don't know what type of impact it would have had on Ovi, him living in the US or Canada for a year or two before jumping to the NHL. The hockey probably wouldn't have been as good, but the non-hockey might have been better.

Old
05-02-2012, 01:26 PM
PSUCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I didn't say it applied to every prospect, but it certainly diminishes the "Russian factor," which is also a much more serious consideration now than it was when Ovi was drafted.

I don't know what type of impact it would have had on Ovi, him living in the US or Canada for a year or two before jumping to the NHL. The hockey probably wouldn't have been as good, but the non-hockey might have been better.

What is this supposed to mean? Living in NA for 2 years would wash some "Russianess" off of him?

Would he have signed for 3 mil cheaper and starting training with Gary Roberts in the offseason?

Closed Thread