HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
2012 NHL Draft Thread Part III

Link to Part II

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1154925

Continue on..

05-01-2012, 11:23 PM
SDIsles34

vCash: 500
Less than two months away and only one thing is certain. The draft will play out will be MUCH MUCH differently than anyone is "projecting" right now. Fans opinions will change as the medias focus changes.

See: Niño, Huberdeau, Couturier, Fowler, Schefiele, A. Esposito, Larsson.

Not sure what the top five will look like in June but if I had to guess, I'd say the Islanders walk away with a forward. One of Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Teravainen or Faska.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:09 AM
LeapOnOver

well, regardless seems like more reason to quit this odd love affair with Murray... not that what this guys says is gold but he's just another prognosticator that doesn't have Murray in the top 5

Old
05-02-2012, 04:10 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIsles34 View Post
Less than two months away and only one thing is certain. The draft will play out will be MUCH MUCH differently than anyone is "projecting" right now. Fans opinions will change as the medias focus changes.

See: Niño, Huberdeau, Couturier, Fowler, Schefiele, A. Esposito, Larsson.

Not sure what the top five will look like in June but if I had to guess, I'd say the Islanders walk away with a forward. One of Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Teravainen or Faska.
so you have Forsberg finding a home already?

Old
05-02-2012, 05:46 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
well, regardless seems like more reason to quit this odd love affair with Murray... not that what this guys says is gold but he's just another prognosticator that doesn't have Murray in the top 5
odd love affair? he is playing against men right now at the world championships. when a guy like duncan keith says the kid is good, i'm more inclined to believe him versus some geek crunching numbers. how did his equation work out for him with gabriel landeskog?

Old
05-02-2012, 06:18 AM
Riddick

its funny just how different everyone's opinion is this year. i mean, after yakupov it is completely wide open. Nobody has ANY idea who the consensus #2 and on are..

Old
05-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Sneekypete

I think you will see a few trades in the first round this year. With the way the draft looks I can see teams trading up to get there guy more then ever before. There is probably as many as 10 names that could go top 5.
If the Isles stay at 3 and draft, I would want 1 of Murray, Forsberg or Galchenyuk
If they trade down to say 7, 1 of Dumba or Trouba
If they trade down to 9ish I would want 1 of Reinhardt, Faska or Ceci

Or trade down with Chicago Hjarmalsson and the Hawks 1st for the 4th overall... Then I draft 1 of Thrower or Maatta(just have a feeling he is this drafts gem)

Old
05-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
its funny just how different everyone's opinion is this year. i mean, after yakupov it is completely wide open. Nobody has ANY idea who the consensus #2 and on are..
Exactly. I think this year seems very much like 2010, except there's only 1 consensus top player (Yakupov), instead of 2 (Hall, Seguin).

There could be a run on forwards, much like 2010, with d-men like Fowler and Gormley falling (Murray and Dumba could do the same). It's not out of the question that if Galchenyuk/Grigorenk/Forsberg go 2,3,4, and then Toronto surprises with Faksa or Teravainen, leaving a ton of D-men for 6-10.

But there could just as well be a run on d-men. For example, Murray could go #2, and Dumba to us at #4. Leaving two of Forsberg, Galchenyuk, and Grigorenko to picks 5 and 6.

Or it could go a third way, where D-men and forwards kind of alternate.

But nobody knows, and there's no way for us to predict which way it's gonna go. Will teams learn from the mistakes of letting Fowler and Hamilton slip? Or have they learned the lesson of drafting imperfect D-men (i.e. Bouwmeeser not Pronger) high far too well?

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
05-02-2012, 09:14 AM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

I have looked at this from many different perspectives and have come up with the following.

If Galcheyuk is not available, I think snow takes Reinhart. He brings the size, skating, physicality and scoring this team needs going forward.

I like Murray and Dumba and the rest, but none of which brings the full complement that Reinhart does.

That said, if they do pick a forward at four, I hope they acquire another pick to get Reinhart or Ceci.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:38 AM
PoPo22

I really hope that Alexander Galchenyuk is still there at 4.

Old
05-02-2012, 11:40 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPo22 View Post
I really hope that Alexander Galchenyuk is still there at 4.
Agreed. Though I would be happy with Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Murray or Dumba. As long as we walk away with one of those 5, I'll be thrilled.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:00 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Agreed. Though I would be happy with Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Murray or Dumba. As long as we walk away with one of those 5, I'll be thrilled.
Haha, way to go out a limb there.

I do agree with you, we'll be getting a premium kid at #4. You gotta make a stand though so here's my little wish list of today.

1. Yakupov - won't get him.
2. Grigorenko - I haven't strayed from my initial thoughts on him, this guy has stupid skills. Not swayed by all the 'lack of compete' stuff. Our depth up the middle would be the envy of the league.
3. Dumba - this guy is the impact defenseman we need. His RH shot and offensive skills is much needed. Hamonic and Dumba would be our top-4 RD's for a long, long time.
4. Forsberg - I just think this is the guy we'll end up picking if he's there. Isles always go forward and FF could be JT's Corey Perry (as he's been compared to). A goal scoring power winger, give JT a weapon.
5. Murray - it's not ideal that he's a LH shot as we seem to be well stocked with them in the system. I kind of see a better-CDH type, but that's just me. At #4, I just want some more flash and dynamic ability.
6. Galchenyuk - his stock is skyrocketing, but I just don't want to take the risk. Injury or not, he missed an entire year in probably his most crucial developmental season. I see Brett Connolly again and I'd rather avoid that.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

I do agree with you, we'll be getting a premium kid at #4. You gotta make a stand though so here's my little wish list of today.

2. Grigorenko - I haven't strayed from my initial thoughts on him, this guy has stupid skills. Not swayed by all the 'lack of compete' stuff. Our depth up the middle would be the envy of the league.
3. Dumba - this guy is the impact defenseman we need. His RH shot and offensive skills is much needed. Hamonic and Dumba would be our top-4 RD's for a long, long time.
4. Forsberg - I just think this is the guy we'll end up picking if he's there. Isles always go forward and FF could be JT's Corey Perry (as he's been compared to). A goal scoring power winger, give JT a weapon.
5. Murray - it's not ideal that he's a LH shot as we seem to be well stocked with them in the system. I kind of see a better-CDH type, but that's just me. At #4, I just want some more flash and dynamic ability.
6. Galchenyuk - his stock is skyrocketing, but I just don't want to take the risk. Injury or not, he missed an entire year in probably his most crucial developmental season. I see Brett Connolly again and I'd rather avoid that.
With regaurds to Murray thats a pretty good argument. I really want to see what he does in the Worlds to gauge his stock...

Old
05-02-2012, 12:42 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

3. Dumba - this guy is the impact defenseman we need. His RH shot and offensive skills is much needed. Hamonic and Dumba would be our top-4 RD's for a long, long time.4. Forsberg - I just think this is the guy we'll end up picking if he's there. Isles always go forward and FF could be JT's Corey Perry (as he's been compared to). A goal scoring power winger, give JT a weapon.
I really am intrigued by Dumba. This guy just seems to have a certain IT factor. I wonder when the last time ANY defensman led the U18's by averaging 2 points a game. We do NOT have a defenseman in our system with his OFFENSIVE skillset or his grittiness (or mean-ness). Yeah Hamonic looks like a shut down stud, and he can be tough, but I expected him to be a poor man's Scott Stevens, adding offense and mean-ness, and though he's been excellent, I haven't seen enough anger to his game, nor enough offense. Dumba, that's exactly what you get, excellent offense, and he plays with anger, hits like a mack truck.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:56 PM
AndThereGoesGrabner

Quote:
I really am intrigued by Dumba. This guy just seems to have a certain IT factor. I wonder when the last time ANY defensman led the U18's by averaging 2 points a game. We do NOT have a defenseman in our system with his OFFENSIVE skillset or his grittiness (or mean-ness). Yeah Hamonic looks like a shut down stud, and he can be tough, but I expected him to be a poor man's Scott Stevens, adding offense and mean-ness, and though he's been excellent, I haven't seen enough anger to his game, nor enough offense. Dumba, that's exactly what you get, excellent offense, and he plays with anger, hits like a mack truck.
I have this feeling Dumba will be the best players coming out of this draft. You just don't see defensemans that can score, skate, & hit like this kid. Whoever gets this mean SOB will be very lucky!

Old
05-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's really been like that the past couple years.. After Hall/Seguin in '10 the next picks went in an unexpected direction, Fowler was considered a top 3 pick all season long and ended up going 12th. I was very surprised when Columbus went with Johansen fourth overall but that turned out to be a good pick, it's really a crap shoot. Last year was the same way it's really a crap shoot after the "known" top pick and just depends which player certain teams fall in love with.

Old
05-02-2012, 01:13 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThereGoesGrabner View Post
I have this feeling Dumba will be the best players coming out of this draft. You just don't see defensemans that can score, skate, & hit like this kid. Whoever gets this mean SOB will be very lucky!
Theres that along with his reported poor postioning, limited defensive awareness and poor penalties. These are big turn offs for me. He reminds me a a better skating dustin Byfuglien.

If we pick a defenceman, I want someone who can actually play defence. (ie. Murray, Trouba, Rhinehart)

Old
05-02-2012, 01:35 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
With regaurds to Murray thats a pretty good argument. I really want to see what he does in the Worlds to gauge his stock...
ummm...if he even gets on the ice for team CANADA that is an accomplishment in and of itself. this is not team austria, or team denmark, this is team CANADA!!! duncan keith said the kid has been very good and that is a pretty strong endorsement. i'm not exactly sure who i want the islanders to pick, but this "murray isn't flashy or dynamic enough" business has got to go.

Old
05-02-2012, 01:38 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Theres that along with his reported poor postioning, limited defensive awareness and poor penalties. These are big turn offs for me. He reminds me a a better skating dustin Byfuglien.

If we pick a defenceman, I want someone who can actually play defence. (ie. Murray, Trouba, Rhinehart)
I respect your opinion, but all of those deficencies are things that can be learned. Mike Bossy though D-fense was that thing surrounding his house when he was growing up. He became a decent defensively aware forward. You can teach people to be better defensively, and limit their poor penalties

What you can't teach, is offensive skill, and heart, of which Dumba has tons of both.

Here are a few souting reports:

This is from MyNHL Draft.com

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2012/NHL-D...s/Mathew-Dumba

So that one seems to think he plays well defensively.

This one is from The Hockey Writers:

http://thehockeywriters.com/matt-dum...outing-report/

Also no mention of poor defensive awareness or bad penalties, does it say he has areas he can improve, of course, all hockey players can improve.

This one from the Edmonton Journal quoting the Redline Report:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...e-ryan-murray/

Redline report likes Dumba over Murray.

This one from NHLMockDraft:

http://www.nhlmockdraft.org/prospect...le-matt-dumba/

The more I read, the more I like Dumba as the top D-man available. Almost a full year younger than Murray. Way better offensively, and not too far away from being his equal defensively.

Old
05-02-2012, 01:54 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
I have looked at this from many different perspectives and have come up with the following.

If Galcheyuk is not available, I think snow takes Reinhart. He brings the size, skating, physicality and scoring this team needs going forward.

I like Murray and Dumba and the rest, but none of which brings the full complement that Reinhart does.

That said, if they do pick a forward at four, I hope they acquire another pick to get Reinhart or Ceci.
reinhart has all of the goods? sorry, but he does not. scouts do not suggest that reinhart has the hockey sense that ryan murray does. many suggest that murray ranks first in that regard in the entire draft. reinhart doesn't have the skating of murray or dumba either. also, despite his size, he does not hit like dumba and he is no more physical than ryan murray. honestly, guys like duncan keith and ryan suter are considered to be two of the game's best defencemen and they are 6"1/200 and 6'1"/198 respectively. Why can't murray and dumba (who, granted, is smaller than keith, suter, and murray) be just as effective at the same size?

again, i don't know that my favourite kid in this draft is murray or not. he is certainly up there. i will say that he is being, "sean couturiered" right now. he had a steady regular season and wjc despite battling an injury. people trashed couturier as not taking his game to another level last season and now they are doing the same to murray. if given the chance to draft murray and the isles pass, murray will shove it in their face just like couturier will do for the next 15 years.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:01 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
I respect your opinion, but all of those deficencies are things that can be learned. Mike Bossy though D-fense was that thing surrounding his house when he was growing up. He became a decent defensively aware forward. You can teach people to be better defensively, and limit their poor penalties

What you can't teach, is offensive skill, and heart, of which Dumba has tons of both.

Here are a few souting reports:

This is from MyNHL Draft.com

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2012/NHL-D...s/Mathew-Dumba

So that one seems to think he plays well defensively.

This one is from The Hockey Writers:

http://thehockeywriters.com/matt-dum...outing-report/

Also no mention of poor defensive awareness or bad penalties, does it say he has areas he can improve, of course, all hockey players can improve.

This one from the Edmonton Journal quoting the Redline Report:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...e-ryan-murray/

Redline report likes Dumba over Murray.

This one from NHLMockDraft:

http://www.nhlmockdraft.org/prospect...le-matt-dumba/

The more I read, the more I like Dumba as the top D-man available. Almost a full year younger than Murray. Way better offensively, and not too far away from being his equal defensively.
while i don't know if i would take dumba ahead of murray or not, the idea that this kid is clueless on the ice is ridiculous. that comment is sticking to him on message boards but when you watch him play, he is one heck of a player. i saw him doing a lot of correct things on the ice at the u-18's, despite the naysayers on hfboards and whatever their dumbass agendas are. what i did not like about his game were the three times i saw him get beat to the inside and to the outside on 2 on 2's. 2 of those 3 resulted in goals and the other a penalty where a goal was scored on the ensuing pp. to focus completely on this though, is to ignore the fact that he led the tournament in scoring. quite an accomplishment by quite a player.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
And there are concerns with Yakupov after the two or three concussions he's already had at a young age.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:25 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Just hoping Garth leaves the Consol Energy Center after the 1st round with one of Murray, Dumba, or Grigorenko.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:30 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

My list as of now:

Draft Grigorenko if he's there, although I don't expect him to be. All of these players have cons, it's not like he's alone in that. He's one hell of an offensive player.

Dumba
Galchenyuk

Murray
Forsberg
Rielly

Old
05-02-2012, 02:48 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
My list as of now:

Draft Grigorenko if he's there, although I don't expect him to be. All of these players have cons, it's not like he's alone in that. He's one hell of an offensive player.

Dumba
Galchenyuk

Murray
Forsberg
Rielly
For me;

Murray
Galchenyuk
Forsberg
Trouba
Rhinehart

Closed Thread