HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalie summer school in Montréal

Old
04-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Galchenkel

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
Goalie summer school in Montréal

Hey Guys,

There's a friend of mine here in St Pierre & Miquelon who's going to intend training camps in september in France.

He never attended any pre-season camp since he's been playing in the local league for his whole "career".

At 25 his talent is undeniable but our season is already finished here and his already-low level of competitiveness will fall 'till september.

Since he'll transit via Montréal to get in France, would you have quality hockey schools to suggest in the Montreal area? One that would allow him to get in shape and perfect his technique before getting there. I guess that it's not every school that take guys of his age.

Does Francois Allaire still hold camps during summer? What have you heard about Olivier Michaud's one?

And if some have tips for his off-ice summer training, feel free.

Galchenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 11:16 PM
tonynyy

Allaire still runs his camp, it's called Co-Jean. I went every year as a teenager and it was a great school for working on technique. The only issue you might have is getting your friend into the camp since spots usually fill up really fast.

Link:
http://www.cojean.com/

tonynyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Galchenkel

Sweet thank you.

I'll tell him to hurry to contact them. The problem might be his age. He's 25 this year and it seems they take players until junior age.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Skarjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyy View Post
Allaire still runs his camp, it's called Co-Jean. I went every year as a teenager and it was a great school for working on technique. The only issue you might have is getting your friend into the camp since spots usually fill up really fast.

Link:
http://www.cojean.com/
I don't want to trash talk Allaire too much, but the guy is a little bit behind the times. There's been talk for a few years that he's responsible for "ruining" a few goalies, with the Leafs goalies being prime examples.

"Allaire goalies" are extremely passive. They will never really react to the shot. They tend to just try to make themselves big in their net and play the percentages. Their hands are positioned to plug holes in their coverage, not to be able to react quickly to a changing situation. While this isn't so bad in theory, succesful modern goalies do more than robotically attempt to block shots... Allaire goalies will basically systematically drop down on every shot and lock their bodies.

There's rumors out there that Allaire will resign from his goalie coach job in Toronto. From what I've heard, he's been "encouraged to resign". This has a lot to do with goalies completely changing their styles under his watch and subsequently seeing their stats drop dramatically.

If everyone at this facility teaches the same style, I'd reccomend looking elsewhere...

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Galchenkel

Useful hearing this kind of stuff too.

So would you have any suggestion in the Montreal area.? A summer school you've heard good things about?

Old
05-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Skarjak

Unfortunately I don't know much about goalie schools in Montreal. :/

You might want to ask your question on this website: www.goaliestore.com

This is one of the biggest and most helpful online goalie communities. If you search the forums, you might get some good info on goalie schools in the area. Or you could make a thread in the "Doctor on Ice" subforum and ask your question there.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Galchenkel

Great site thanx.

I just had a look at it but unfortunately could'nt find the tips I'm looking for.

And I have to wait a week to post new threads.

Old
05-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Skarjak

There you go, a VIP thread just for you: http://www.goaliestore.com/board/doc...ml#post1809896

Old
05-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Galchenkel

wow thank you Skarjac! So helpful I hope

My friend will surely remember you once he make it in Europe and land in the NHL at 30.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Skarjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Garner View Post
wow thank you Skarjac! So helpful I hope

My friend will surely remember you once he make it in Europe and land in the NHL at 30.
I accept paypal and money-orders.

EDIT: Also, an invitation to the party once he gets a day with the cup would be appreciated.

Old
05-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Was wondering if Saint-Pierre et Miquelon was big on hockey, we never hear any news about the little french island.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 08:41 AM
tonytwist15

Stéphane Waite, 3 and 5 day camps. Seems reasonable, a lot of great coaches, including Jocelyn Thibault, Patrick Lalime, Corey Crawford, Kim St-Pierre and Jimmy and Stéphane Waite. Probably not just good for technique, but for the groupie in you too.

http://www.ecolegardienswaite.com/Infos.htm

tonytwist15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Galchenkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Was wondering if Saint-Pierre et Miquelon was big on hockey, we never hear any news about the little french island.
Yeah people are pretty big on hockey here. Like in Canada I'd say. Lot of passion during winter and even more during the playoff. I'd say 60% consider themselves Habs fan. With Boston being second and then Toronto.

Since the main island is quite small with only 6000 inhabitants there's a lot of friendly animosity between us. Bruins fans even held a parade when they won the cup last year.

About playing there's one minor association with players from novice to midget. Each level include only one team so the competitiveness is quite low. They try to intend tournaments in Newfounland and aux Iles de la Madeleine approximately 3 times a year. Given of this low competition I'd say the overall level is more than decent. The midget team just won the Nfld Provincial tournament in "C". There's always one or two players playing for team France.

After minor, adults either play a two-teams championship or intend a rec league which counts 4-5 teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytwist15 View Post
Stéphane Waite, 3 and 5 day camps. Seems reasonable, a lot of great coaches, including Jocelyn Thibault, Patrick Lalime, Corey Crawford, Kim St-Pierre and Jimmy and Stéphane Waite. Probably not just good for technique, but for the groupie in you too.

http://www.ecolegardienswaite.com/Infos.htm
Seems a nice program thanx. Don't know why I couldn't find them when I googled for it....