HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[CGY] Flames sign Cervenka [1 year, $3.775M cap hit including bonuses, max. ELC]

Old
05-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Where do Calgary fans think he'll fit in their line-up?

Also, was he a free agent or are NHL teams able to just sign players from the KHL provided that there's a written transfer agreement?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:05 PM
nik-

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post

Also, was he a free agent or are NHL teams able to just sign players from the KHL provided that there's a written transfer agreement?
Feaster said their intent was top 6, so likely second line center.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:06 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Why does this indicate that? The Flames have obviously scouted this guy pretty heavily since he plays on the same team as Ramo, and they liked what they saw. The deal is only for one year, and is structured in the same way as any other 'star' ELC. I don't see why this move precludes any kind of building from within, unless you were expecting a 'trade everyone and tank for MacKinnon' type of rebuild, which I would argue was never an option to begin with.
Yes, that's exactly the type of rebuild that I was talking about, the same type of rebuild that Feaster has said many times that he doesn't want anything to do with.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

good signing. Low risk, high reward

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
Quote:

He was a free agent.

Tatanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:08 PM
bleedgreen

its a low risk deal in a year where its gonna be tough and expensive for teams to improve themselves this off season. gonna have to be creative, and this is that. thumbs up, and i barely have heard of the guy.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:09 PM
jfb392

Quote:

He was a free agent, his contract with Omsk expired two days ago.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:11 PM
mrdonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAndersonBTR View Post
Yes, that's exactly the type of rebuild that I was talking about, the same type of rebuild that Feaster has said many times that he doesn't want anything to do with.
If you can speed along the rebuilding process by replacing a 33 year old with a 26 year old whose ceiling could equal or exceed that of the older player, why wouldn't you?

Or is picking in the top 5 year after year the only way to get younger?

mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
If a player who has never played in the NHL has a 3.775 cap hit, what is an established star like Parise going to receive?
....seriously?

The cap hit is that of a max ELC. He wasn't the subject of a "bidding war"--he received what he would have been paid by any team coming into the NHL on a one-year deal.

Parise is UFA, and can sign for whatever teams are willing to pay him. One situation has nothing to do with the other, except insofar as Cervenka's absence from the market decreases the supply of available top-6 forwards.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Xelstyle

And let the continued debate of "Calgary should blow it up" go on...

I'm happy Feaster managed to pull Cervenka in. A little excitement at seeing how this unknown piece plays in the top 6. Nobody should be complaining about this move since most teams would have loved to land a opportunity to see what this guy can do.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Ovechkins vodka

low risk, not a bad signing at all but won't hold my breathe on NHL success just yet, I still recall when Jiri Dopita was supposed to come over the NHL and be a constant top 6 player.

Ovechkins vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
It's a good risk to take. Interestingly enough, if he has a big year he can be a UFA in the summer of 2013 and really cash in.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It's a good risk to take. Interestingly enough, if he has a big year he can be a UFA in the summer of 2013 and really cash in.
going to be hard to have a big year playing in the west with so many big defensive teams.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The good thing is that it's only for one year. The bad is that it's a lot of money for someone who may not mesh with anyone or fit in to the North American style of hockey. I bet Feaster was able to guarantee top six minutes for Cervenka, seeing how the Flames have a lot of holes in their lineup.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
If he thrives, Calgary just found a good top6 center for years to come. It's the right place to overpay IMO. If he stinks it up, no harm done.
this is exactly it, especially since its an ELC with a base salary under a million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Since it's an ELC, it has to be 2-way, correct?
yes, all ELCs are 2way deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
I like Cervenka. But I really have no ****ing clue what Calgary's "plan" is anymore..

I thought after iggy's comments and the decision on Brent Sutter that they were finally going for the full rebuild.
if you thought that, then you never paid attention. everyone and their dog knows that is was Sutter that wanted a full rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
is he a UFA though? I thought since it was an ELC he would be an RFA the following summer, but i could be wrong

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Jahodac

Is this Roman Cervenka? Risky move for a who has never played in the NHL before. He is a solid player though so I am sure he will help the Flames, even if the cost is nearly $4 million.

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Cephalusc

Quote:
They absolutely are. However, this signing has made it clear that the Calgary management will not go through the traditional rebuild and try instead to do it through the free agency market (which I still argue is a mistake and only prolonging the inevitable).
How does signing a single FA say the Flames are only trying to rebuild through free agency?

All it says is the the Flames are exploring more options to improve their team than in the past. The Flames have been drafting better (Baertschi, Reinhart, Ferland, Arnold, Gaudreau etc) incorporating young players into the lineup (Brodie, Irving, Horak, Bouwma, Nemisz, Byron, Aliu, Smith etc) and have been acquiring young college/Europeon players (Ramo, Cervenka, Eddy) . I like the direction the team is going. Every single one of those players has a decent chance at seeing playing time in the NHL next season. Although Feaster would never use the term "rebuild", that is exactly what the Flames have been doing over the last season.

HF really needs to open its mind to the other ways rebuilds can be successfully carried out.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

This just reminds me too much of Jiri Dopita, and I'm sure most of us remember how the best player not in the NHL performed in the NHL...

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:43 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Great signing, probably had to overpay a little to get him. Well done Flames!

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:43 PM
mrdonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
This just reminds me too much of Jiri Dopita, and I'm sure most of us remember how the best player not in the NHL performed in the NHL...
Shocking that you would think this, given you love to crap on anything Calgary Flames. I bet you didn't even know who this guy was before he signed, but now he's sure to bust.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:45 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
If you can speed along the rebuilding process by replacing a 33 year old with a 26 year old whose ceiling could equal or exceed that of the older player, why wouldn't you?

Or is picking in the top 5 year after year the only way to get younger?
I was the one advocating keeping Olli since signing guys like Cervenka is the direction the team wants to take.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
is he a UFA though? I thought since it was an ELC he would be an RFA the following summer, but i could be wrong
He's already 26 years old, he'll be 27 next summer.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:47 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Dammit, I think this will be a good signing for Calgary. If Parise leaves, I was hoping NJ would sign this guy

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:47 PM
mrdonkey

Quote:
I was the one advocating keeping Olli since signing guys like Cervenka is the direction the team wants to take.

Signing a highly-touted 26 year old European player to a low-risk deal is not indicative that the team is against rebuilding. In fact I would argue just the opposite.

It all depends on whether you believe there's more ways to rebuild than stockpiling lottery picks.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

I know that players 27 and younger are considered RFA's after their contract expires. Is he going to be an RFA ? Decent signing if yes.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote