HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez to be bought out? - Louis Jean on FAN 590

Old
05-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
I'm not sure what you want to call the situation, but do you think having 11 million tied up in Kaberle, Bourque and Gomez' buyout is a good thing?

Lets take Bourque right out of it, we have 8 million dollars tied up between the Gomez buyout and Kaberle.

What do you think Suter is going to sign for?
Not sure why you are lumping Bourque and Kaberle in with Gomez.

Gomez is the contract that needs to be gone, and unless the CBA changes he should be waived and playing in another league and off the cap...period. Freeing up 7+ mil gives Bergevin a ton of flexibility.

The only way a buyout makes sense is if the new CBA

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:45 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Not sure why you are lumping Bourque and Kaberle in with Gomez.

Gomez is the contract that needs to be gone, and unless the CBA changes he should be waived and playing in another league and off the cap...period. Freeing up 7+ mil gives Bergevin a ton of flexibility.

The only way a buyout makes sense is if the new CBA
Actually, Bourque's contract is almost as bad as that of Gomez. 3.5 million over 4 years is 14 million dollars, and his production is comparably bad.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:48 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Actually, Bourque's contract is almost as bad as that of Gomez. 3.5 million over 4 years is 14 million dollars, and his production is comparably bad.
difference is, 3.33 Mil can be a used to even a trade (salary), 7.3 cannot...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:59 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
difference is, 3.33 Mil can be a used to even a trade (salary), 7.3 cannot...
Maybe, Gomez is also paid less than his cap hit, which can also be advantageous in a trade.

Gomez only has 2 years left on his contract, so I don't consider it an albatross at this point. Bourque's contract is almost as bad.

Old
05-02-2012, 05:07 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Bourque has not been exhausted in a hockey sense. I'm reasonably sure he'll be a positive, contributing player in the coming seasons. Gomez on the other hand has had every oppourtunity on every line and still can't contribute in any way.

They're not comparable.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:10 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
How the **** does it reward the player?

He's going to get less money if he gets bought out, that's the point. If he gets buried, he still gets paid fully. Not to mention that burying might force the Habs not to spend to the cap every year - would you prefer that instead?

Come on Nate.
Sorry, I must have hit a nerve.

Go ask Gomez. Would you rather be buried in the minors or bought out? If he's the person I think he is (especially with the amount of money he's made already), he's going to ask for the buy out 100 times out of 100 so he can play in the NHL.

IMO, he's played terrible enough that he doesn't even deserve the chance to play in the NHL right now if it's going to hurt our cap. Which it would.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:12 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Bourque has not been exhausted in a hockey sense. I'm reasonably sure he'll be a positive, contributing player in the coming seasons. Gomez on the other hand has had every oppourtunity on every line and still can't contribute in any way.

They're not comparable.
I appreciate your enthusiasm for Bourque, but when I think of Bourque all I think of are the ways in which he failed to convert on all those beautiful passes from Lars Eller down the stretch. He was always missing or fanning. He's just not very good.

Old
05-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Takashi

Let's trade gomez for crosby

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Not sure how you can comapre the two. Last 2 years Bourque has scored 45 goals making 3.3 mil/year, not sure how that's bad value in anybody's book, even with a terrible 2nd half after the trade.

Not sure how it's even in the same conversation as Gomez at 7.35 mil cap hit and 9-40-49 over the last 2 years combined.

I'd like to know where you find guys not on ELC's making a lot less than 3.3 mil and scoring 20 yaer in and year out?

Old
05-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Teamwork

I can't wait till "Gomaize" is a thing of the past.

Teamwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Sorry, I must have hit a nerve.

Go ask Gomez. Would you rather be buried in the minors or bought out? If he's the person I think he is (especially with the amount of money he's made already), he's going to ask for the buy out 100 times out of 100 so he can play in the NHL.

IMO, he's played terrible enough that he doesn't even deserve the chance to play in the NHL right now if it's going to hurt our cap. Which it would.
If you are the GM of the Montreal Canadiens, you do what's best for your team 100 times out of 100 and what Gomez wants is secondary.

Old
05-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
absolute B.S if they do, complete opposite of "building a winning culture".
Unless you believe that you can't build a winning culture with the ultimate loser around.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:25 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I appreciate your enthusiasm for Bourque, but when I think of Bourque all I think of are the ways in which he failed to convert on all those beautiful passes from Lars Eller down the stretch. He was always missing or fanning. He's just not very good.
i'll take not very good at 3.3
over not very good at 7.3

anyday!

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
How the **** does it reward the player?

He's going to get less money if he gets bought out, that's the point. If he gets buried, he still gets paid fully. Not to mention that burying might force the Habs not to spend to the cap every year - would you prefer that instead?

Come on Nate.
If he's bought out, he's free like a bird, receives 6,6M$ for doing nothing and gets the chance to choose another team+another paycheck.. Pretty sure he would love to be bought out than forced to play in Hamilton and travelling in bus.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:28 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

buying out gomez is the equivalent of this:

TO NYI:
gomez
briefcase of cash

to MTL
Future considerations (7th if gomez wins art ross)
Mark Streit (4.1 cap hit) but he's not allowed to play, hes only allowed to watch.

Doesnt make sense to me.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
When did his family ruin the team?
November 12, 1982.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

There is different schools of thoughts. From making a point, showing to other players that if we go and get you, you better show up and produce. Or, it's already not obvious to attract people from coming through UFA or other ways, that you don't conduct yourself in a way that, as bad as he could be, you make it impossible for a guy to play in the highest league possible. And that you need to live with the mistake you made. Whether we like it or not, Gomez is a NHL player. He can play in this league. His role needs to be determined. But beside already taking the decision of buying him out, you'd hope that they'd give the chance to Bergevin to operate a miracle and try to see if he can trade him, at least to teams looking to reach the cap floor.

But for whoever wants him to be buried in the AHL, I mean, if so, it means you have to start the year in camp with Gomez. You'd still see his face. You can't make him miss the camp and send him with the Dogs already, when there's actually no Dogs camp that takes place. You need to go through the camp. Do they want to have that distraction around? Or do they prefer to give a clean slate to Bergevin and Co.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:33 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
There is different schools of thoughts. From making a point, showing to other players that if we go and get you, you better show up and produce. Or, it's already not obvious to attract people from coming through UFA or other ways, that you don't conduct yourself in a way that, as bad as he could be, you make it impossible for a guy to play in the highest league possible. And that you need to live with the mistake you made. Whether we like it or not, Gomez is a NHL player. He can play in this league. His role needs to be determined. But beside already taking the decision of buying him out, you'd hope that they'd give the chance to Bergevin to operate a miracle and try to see if he can trade him, at least to teams looking to reach the cap floor.

But for whoever wants him to be buried in the AHL, I mean, if so, it means you have to start the year in camp with Gomez. You'd still see his face. You can't make him miss the camp and send him with the Dogs already, when there's actually no Dogs camp that takes place. You need to go through the camp. Do they want to have that distraction around? Or do they prefer to give a clean slate to Bergevin and Co.
Yeah, and Gomez seems like a good guy who isn't lacking in effort, he just isn't very good and the pressure has gotten to him and he's gotten progressively worse.

I think a team will take Gomez on re-entry waivers, provided there is still a floor to go with the ceiling for the cap structure. 3.715 cap hit for 2 years for 2.75 and 2.25 of money isn't the worst way to spend money. He might have a bit of a career renaissance in a different role in a different place.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:35 PM
MTL-rules

Better not be true or else Molson is a cheap ass.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:45 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Not sure how you can comapre the two. Last 2 years Bourque has scored 45 goals making 3.3 mil/year, not sure how that's bad value in anybody's book, even with a terrible 2nd half after the trade.

Not sure how it's even in the same conversation as Gomez at 7.35 mil cap hit and 9-40-49 over the last 2 years combined.

I'd like to know where you find guys not on ELC's making a lot less than 3.3 mil and scoring 20 yaer in and year out?
And Gomez was a 60 point center before he came to Montreal, he was a true number 1 center. However, smart hockey minds saw the writing on the wall.

Bourque had 5 goals and 3 assists in 38 games for us this year. He's not the Bourque of old. He's on the wrong side of 30... and again, all I saw of him this year was him failing to finish Eller's beautiful plays. I expect him to keep regressing as Gomez has.

Old
05-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Gomez looks like quite a good guy. I read that Redden really helped the kids in the AHL I don't see why Gomez could not do the same.

Like Carey_Price started to say: The only way buying him out make sense is if the new CBA prevent teams from burrying contract in the AHL.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
And Gomez was a 60 point center before he came to Montreal, he was a true number 1 center. However, smart hockey minds saw the writing on the wall.

Bourque had 5 goals and 3 assists in 38 games for us this year. He's not the Bourque of old. He's on the wrong side of 30... and again, all I saw of him this year was him failing to finish Eller's beautiful plays. I expect him to keep regressing as Gomez has.
What hockey minds?

I doubt Bourque went from a 27 goal scorer to a 10 goal scorer in 12 months. His skills look the same but he started off poorly after arriving and got caught in the team's downward spiral. half the team didn't play upn to their abilities, that's why we ghave the #3 overall pick.

Gomez's biggest problem is his contract and it affected his game, he had a down yaer last year and started pressing. I'm sure he'd bounce back to 50+ points next yaer if he got a fresh start and a top 6 role...unfortunately that's not what's best for the Habs.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:03 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
What hockey minds?

I doubt Bourque went from a 27 goal scorer to a 10 goal scorer in 12 months. His skills look the same but he started off poorly after arriving and got caught in the team's downward spiral. half the team didn't play upn to their abilities, that's why we ghave the #3 overall pick.

Gomez's biggest problem is his contract and it affected his game, he had a down yaer last year and started pressing. I'm sure he'd bounce back to 50+ points next yaer if he got a fresh start and a top 6 role...unfortunately that's not what's best for the Habs.
Lots of people knew the Gomez trade was a bad idea. You can go through this forum's archives to check what people were saying on July 2009. Gomez has been regressing for several seasons now, it didn't start with the Habs.

Sure, Gomez could score 50+ points if he had Desharnais' PP time and linemates and Ozone starts. Similarly, Bourque can score 20+ goals if he has Cole's linemates and ozone starts and PP time. However, that's not what's best for the Habs. He won't be on the 1st line unless there are tremendous injuries. We'll be paying 3.3 million/year for a third liner to produce 10 goals per year along with below-average defensive ability on the third line for four years to come.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:14 PM
BLONG7

Bobby Mac on TSN says no way they buy him out...it will be the minors or Europe...they need all the cap space, not some of it...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:16 PM
SB164

Shaun Starr ‏ @Starr690

Asked Bob McKenzie about Gomez being bought out and not to minors "If true, the person who made the decision should resign in shame"

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote