Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Akim Aliu

Old
05-01-2012, 09:31 AM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Anyone know why he didn't dress for that last playoff game in Abby?
And I agree with the others that say we don't need no POS like lappy. Let the Canucks stock pile those players.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 11:23 AM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Anyone know why he didn't dress for that last playoff game in Abby?
And I agree with the others that say we don't need no POS like lappy. Let the Canucks stock pile those players.
I think Ward said he wasn't happy with Aliu's performance and scratched him to send a message. Ward does it a lot. He sent Howse back home for a month to work on conditioning (which worked great except for the part where he got injured) and has made Kolanos a scratch after he went cold (IIRC).

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
sometimes a player just clicks at a particular moment. If you listen to Aliu speak, before the Heat accepted a loan for him to play there he thought his career could be over, it truly sounds like he thought this was his last chance and he knew he had to change.

It's those moments that can define a player (or person for that matter).

I'm not saying he will be as good as those 2 games, but he did play like that all year in Abbotsford.
this^

Plus I would add that Ward has taken him under his wing and has made real inroads with Aliu as a person. He is doing a great job of getting Aliu focused on the things he can control and what he needs to do to be successful.

He is 23. Sometimes these kids just need time (and a new chance / change of scenery) to grow up and realize that if they want to play in the NHL instead of having to get a real job, that there will be some effort required.

And unfortunately, some of them never learn.

But after hearing Ward talk about Aliu - and seeing the way he played those two games - I think there is lots of reason for optimism here. And the reward is massive as his potential ceiling is very high.

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
this ^

Ward has been working hard with Aliu and I am sure he is lobbying hard on his behalf as well.

While I like Moss, Aliu is bigger, stronger, faster, younger, cheaper and has more upside.

I believe that Aliu is already pencilled in to take Moss' spot on the roster.
Ummmm.... You do realize Moss was the second fastest Flame behind Glencross right? Ahead of guys like Backlund and Bouwmeester? Moss is a great skater, just can't stay healthy for any length of time.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:14 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Ummmm.... You do realize Moss was the second fastest Flame behind Glencross right? Ahead of guys like Backlund and Bouwmeester? Moss is a great skater, just can't stay healthy for any length of time.
Moss is a great skater, yes - and under-rated by most. But injuries are catching up to him. I also find that he is utilizing his speed less and less as well. IMO, Moss as a player with speed is a thing of the past.

Aliu on teh other hand, has speed to burn and is looking to use it.

Old
05-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Quote:
But after hearing Ward talk about Aliu - and seeing the way he played those two games - I think there is lots of reason for optimism here. And the reward is massive as his potential ceiling is very high.
Not to come off like an ass, but what is your definition of very high? Personally I wouldn't use that to describe Aliu's upside. I think of him of a 3rd liner, and someone who can chip in on the score sheet occasionally and be a pest to the other team.

Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 05-01-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 03:28 PM
tfong

Quote:
Moss is a great skater, yes - and under-rated by most. But injuries are catching up to him. I also find that he is utilizing his speed less and less as well. IMO, Moss as a player with speed is a thing of the past.

Aliu on teh other hand, has speed to burn and is looking to use it.
Moss won in a timed race, you ever hardly ever saw him use much speed in games and it was all straight speed as he wasn't shifty at all nor was he going 100% everrytime.

Injuries contributed too I would think.

I also can't see Aliu with higher upside than being a good 3rd liner.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 04:29 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Not to come off like an ass, but what is your definition of very high? Personally I wouldn't use that to describe Aliu's upside. I think of him of a 3rd liner, and someone who can chip in on the score sheet occasionally and be a pest to the other team.
A valid question...

Size, speed, grit, strength, and decent hands. Aliu has quite a bit of upside. It was always his lackadaisical play that limited teams' interest, not a lack of skills on his part.

Also, his skills tanslate well to the NHL. To illustrate what I mean, look at Kreider. I saw a lot of BC games this year and in almost every case, I thought both Arnold and Gaudreau were contributing more to the team's success than Kreider was. But Kreider has NHL tools - i.e. he has size and speed. The rest is coachable.

Old
05-01-2012, 04:31 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Moss won in a timed race, you ever hardly ever saw him use much speed in games and it was all straight speed as he wasn't shifty at all nor was he going 100% everrytime.

Injuries contributed too I would think.

I also can't see Aliu with higher upside than being a good 3rd liner.
This is what I was trying to say: Moss is a good skater, but you don't really get a fast winger out of him.

Aliu is also fast, but Aliu plays at full speed all of the time - and has the size to back it up.

I think the Flames currently have an identity problem and are not hard to play against. I think they need more speed, more size, and more grit. Aliu fits the bill - he just needs to be handled correctly.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Aliu's skill has never been a question, its always been attitude and effort. Aliu's skillset is actually very good

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
This is what I was trying to say: Moss is a good skater, but you don't really get a fast winger out of him.

Aliu is also fast, but Aliu plays at full speed all of the time - and has the size to back it up.

I think the Flames currently have an identity problem and are not hard to play against. I think they need more speed, more size, and more grit. Aliu fits the bill - he just needs to be handled correctly.
yeah Moss is fast when going in a straight line and doesn't have to go around a defender or carry the puck. once you ask him to use anything other than his feet he slows considerably

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 08:12 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
yeah Moss is fast when going in a straight line and doesn't have to go around a defender or carry the puck. once you ask him to use anything other than his feet he slows considerably
I miss lombo, though not the contract he got lol. Yeah I always found the issue with moss skating was he has no side to side agility on skates it seeme or he didn't know he could go sideways haha.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 12:15 AM
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

vCash: 50
Quote:
I miss lombo, though not the contract he got lol. Yeah I always found the issue with moss skating was he has no side to side agility on skates it seeme or he didn't know he could go sideways haha.
I just wish moss could stay healthy, a healthy moss is a great secondary player, a player that the Flames could really use.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Xelstyle

To think we could have had a potential 20 goal scorer year in and year out.
It's time to move on though with Aliu. As long as he isn't a liability, he's the kind of player whose every shift comes at the cost of the other team.

Though we should wait and see him on a more consistent basis before saying that.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:11 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

Quote:
I miss lombo, though not the contract he got lol.

I don't miss Lombardi at all.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote