HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gomez to be bought out? - Louis Jean on FAN 590

Old
05-02-2012, 05:20 PM
E = CH²

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
How the **** does it reward the player?

He's going to get less money if he gets bought out, that's the point. If he gets buried, he still gets paid fully. Not to mention that burying might force the Habs not to spend to the cap every year - would you prefer that instead?

Come on Nate.
You either have an exceptional ability of not understanding basic concepts or trolling.

E = CH² is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:23 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Shaun Starr ‏ @Starr690

Asked Bob McKenzie about Gomez being bought out and not to minors "If true, the person who made the decision should resign in shame"
Completely agree. I can't see Bergevin starting off his reign as GM with such a stupid move.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
And Gomez was a 60 point center before he came to Montreal, he was a true number 1 center. However, smart hockey minds saw the writing on the wall.

Bourque had 5 goals and 3 assists in 38 games for us this year. He's not the Bourque of old. He's on the wrong side of 30... and again, all I saw of him this year was him failing to finish Eller's beautiful plays. I expect him to keep regressing as Gomez has.
...and he had 13 goals the first 38 games. How do you explain that he suddenly "wasn't the Bourque of old" as soon as he got traded?

I'm sure there are guys that "lose it" and don't get it back. There are also a ton of players taht have off years and bounce back. In fact just about every active NHL has had off years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Lots of people knew the Gomez trade was a bad idea. You can go through this forum's archives to check what people were saying on July 2009. Gomez has been regressing for several seasons now, it didn't start with the Habs.

Sure, Gomez could score 50+ points if he had Desharnais' PP time and linemates and Ozone starts. Similarly, Bourque can score 20+ goals if he has Cole's linemates and ozone starts and PP time. However, that's not what's best for the Habs. He won't be on the 1st line unless there are tremendous injuries. We'll be paying 3.3 million/year for a third liner to produce 10 goals per year along with below-average defensive ability on the third line for four years to come.
People said the trade was a bad idea because A-Gomez had a terrible contract and B-they gave up a top prospect to get him. Except for his career year Gomez has always been a 60-70 point guy until the last 2 years. He wasn't in decline in NYR, just not worth 7.35/year.

I don't see Bourque on the 3rd line full time, I think he'll be motivated to bounce back and push whoever is on the 2nd line and will probably get top 6 minutes in a lot of games as I'm sure we'll miss man games among the top 4 wingers. I expect 15-16 minutes a night and around 20 goals.

Old
05-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
You either have an exceptional ability of not understanding basic concepts or trolling.
Enlighten me, oh great one.

Seems to me the concept of eating someone's contract affecting one's ability to spend is lost on the many a great HFers around here, but hey - I'm the one trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
If he's bought out, he's free like a bird, receives 6,6M$ for doing nothing and gets the chance to choose another team+another paycheck.. Pretty sure he would love to be bought out than forced to play in Hamilton and travelling in bus.
And yet he would make his full salary in the minors, and not some portion of it. In any case, I'm eager to see what happens.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:04 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Bergevin on 98,5 fm montreal, just said that he will evaluate every player when he was asked the question by Michel Villeneuve. He only saw the Habs play 2 games, so he will talk to the staff and make a decision before the beginning of the season. So might not be done before free agency...

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:05 PM
ScottFC

Quote:
Enlighten me, oh great one.

Seems to me the concept of eating someone's contract affecting one's ability to spend is lost on the many a great HFers around here, but hey - I'm the one trolling.

And yet he would make his full salary in the minors, and not some portion of it. In any case, I'm eager to see what happens.
We're Montreal here not Phoenix or Nashville. If we send Gomez to the minors it won't affect us spending to the cap. Think Rangers with Redden, Toronto with Finger and Edmonton with Souray. We can spend up to and beyond the cap.

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDoNot View Post
We're Montreal here not Phoenix or Nashville. If we send Gomez to the minors it won't affect us spending to the cap. Think Rangers with Redden, Toronto with Finger and Edmonton with Souray. We can spend up to and beyond the cap.
We don't actually know how much financial leeway Molson has. Not saying he's poor, but we don't know what his assets look like.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Bergevin on 98,5 fm montreal, just said that he will evaluate every player when he was asked the question by Michel Villeneuve. He only saw the Habs play 2 games, so he will talk to the staff and make a decision before the beginning of the season. So might not be done before free agency...
Yea he has not taken his decisions related to the players yet.

With the exception of Carey Price. He likes good goal tending.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:21 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
We don't actually know how much financial leeway Molson has. Not saying he's poor, but we don't know what his assets look like.
Hahahaha oh wow. These excuses are golden.

He would save only $3M - yet cripple his team and GM for 4-years.

Here's a question... If Suter was interested in signing here but the problem is we were $1M short because of the Gomez buyout and lost out -- is that still best for the team because it shows we are "classy?"

No doubt Gomez seems like a good guy. And if he was making $2M, I'd probably keep him. but he's not, so send him to Europe. There's some nice leagues over there like DEL where he might might score 10 goals. ,

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:28 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Not sure why you keep talking about Molson like he has limited money. This guy WILL spend money when its needed. Out of all 30 owners in the league, we probably have the best owner in the league. Stop worrying about money. It's the cap hit that scares me.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Habs4ever

Has this hapenned or is it just a rumour?

With Bergevin in charge now, will Moulson interfere or is Gomez buy out final?

Any Confirmed link?

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post
With Bergevin in charge now, will Moulson interfere or is Gomez buy out final?

Any Confirmed link?
Moulson will have no impact, he signed an extension with the Islanders

Old
05-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Here's a question... If Suter was interested in signing here but the problem is we were $1M short because of the Gomez buyout and lost out -- is that still best for the team because it shows we are "classy?"

No doubt Gomez seems like a good guy. And if he was making $2M, I'd probably keep him. but he's not, so send him to Europe. There's some nice leagues over there like DEL where he might might score 10 goals. ,
We can make cap room if we have to. It's just a matter of rearranging the furniture.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:22 PM
DJ Breadman

Doug Mclean said it best on hockey central at noon, don't buyout gomez bring him to camp if he isn't good enough to make the team then send him to the minors

DJ Breadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:28 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Doug Mclean said it best on hockey central at noon, don't buyout gomez bring him to camp if he isn't good enough to make the team then send him to the minors
I'd only do this if his contract did not hamper us from addign players in the offseason.

Gomez may play well with a better coach and team. I think he will, but his contract is cripling and he needs to be moved.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
It's not just making the team it's being worth anything close to his cap hit.

If he was playing like a 5-6 mil player with a 7.35 cap hit we could live with it...but not when he produces at a 1.5-2.5 mil/year player at best.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Not sure why you keep talking about Molson like he has limited money. This guy WILL spend money when its needed. Out of all 30 owners in the league, we probably have the best owner in the league. Stop worrying about money. It's the cap hit that scares me.
See below. I'm just talking about money, not pure cap hit.

Quote:

What excuses? I'm arguing that none of us here is in a position to say definitively that Molson's got enough cash in his back pocket to eat Gomez's deal and spend to the cap again next year.

Now of course, if Molson has no problem, financially, eating the deal - by all means, do it. I've moved beyond arguing about whether or not it's classy. Not even talking about Gomez and the merit of keeping him like you brought up at a reduced salary. I'm talking strictly money here (real money versus cap money) and if Geoff's in a position to eat his deal and spend at a higher cap max next year.

I'm not doubting he has money, of course. You just never know.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Not sure you're crippling your team in the final 2 years...how much is it per year? 1.5 M$? Obviously, the next 2 are different. And somehow, I see buying him out as a real possibility. It's okay though...it will be a reason to bash....nothing can change too drastically....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Teufelsdreck

If true, Molson just relieved Bergevin of a knotty problem and enabled him to plan ahead. There's more cap room for taking on a high-priced FA or a capable veteran player obtained by trading away draft choices.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

What excuses? I'm arguing that none of us here is in a position to say definitively that Molson's got enough cash in his back pocket to eat Gomez's deal and spend to the cap again next year.
Are you serious????

The Habs have like 200+ mil in gross revenue and a 65 mil salary cap. It doesn't cost him a dime "out of pocket" just goes against the bottom line...however by spending taht 10 mil instaed of a 6.67 mil buyout he gives his GM a shot at a better team and huge playoff revenue so it's a move that could bring back 3 or 4 times the original investment.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
That's sappy. How can you tell how well he'd play in the regular season? By that logic the Habs should send Cole to Hamilton if he has a bad preseason.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:19 PM
The Right Price

Do not bury him in the juniors/ahl with our prospects. Do you really want our prospects to come in contact with this floater?? If you bury him then send him to Europe, or KHL.

Buying him out might sting a bit years 1-2 but 3-4 is not that bad.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:24 PM
SouthernHab

TEN pages on a Louis Jean rumor regarding the status of Gomez and his contract.

Yes, I said it. A RUMOR.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 08:27 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Wut? Just go on the molson website and download their financial statements, it should be in the shareholder equities section of the balance sheet.

poetryinmotion is online now   Reply With Quote