HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Niemi + ??? for Nash?

Old
05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Trade for Nash. Put him on the third line with Pavelski. Dominate the opposition with the slowest third line in the NHL.
Stick Handzus on their left wing.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:38 PM
hateseed
TentacleGrapeSoda

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Stick Handzus on their left wing.
With Murray and White on the back-end.

hateseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:57 PM
NathanCouture
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hateseed View Post
With Murray and White on the back-end.
Pull the goalie and put clowe on the ice and the transition will be complete.

NathanCouture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 500
The people in Columbus don't know what they're doing and will therefore not accept any "fair" package for Nash. Also, I don't think this is enough.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:47 PM
SharksFan1

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Everyone here probably realizes that Nash is likely on DW's radar whether we agree with adding him or not. I'd be okay with us trading for Nash if it was ideal for us. Maybe Clowe, Handzus, Niemi, and our 1st for Nash, Mason, and their 2nd.
Why would you want Mason.

How about Niemi, 1st, and Murray.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 02:49 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post

Buy low, and would allow us to trade less to get Nash (as he has negative value for them) if we are in fact trading for Nash.

Mason is a much better goalie than he has shown lately. Mark my words, if he ends up on a decent team with a better situation for him he will rebound. Last year everyone said Smith was one of the worst goalies in the league, same with Elliot, and this year they were both in the vezina conversation. I think Mason is going to be the next 'rebound' goalie, and I think it's worth the small risk.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Why the hell would BJ fans get excited over Niemi? I don't get it ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:08 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Why the hell would BJ fans get excited over Niemi? I don't get it ...
Nor do I.

Sharks can't put together a package that would interest Cbus without including Couture, which we won't do.

Sharks won't be trading for Nash. Seems simple enough to me.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Kitten Mittons

Its more likely that Canucks trade Lou for Nash.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Trading for Nash is pretty much the Sharks taking a shotgun to the foot right before a marathon run.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Hertl My Pickles
Next year for sure.

vCash: 290
DW points at how 'players with no-move clauses' could possibly be moved. I'm thinking a Niemi + Marleau trade? Just pure speculation but could be something CBJ would want.

Hertl My Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Phu

Quote:
Damn that worthless organization, first they stack up Los Angeles with that Carter trade, now they are gonna stack up Vancouver with a Nash trade!

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I don't want any part of Mason. He's terrible. Beyond terrible. He makes Dmitri Patzold look like Nabby.

and I agree that I can see DW buring the prospect pool again for a big trade. Because if he doesn't get results again, chances are he's done with the Sharks. And at that point it's on longer his concern how barren the system is, because he's out of the job.
I really do understand the hesitation with Mason but I don't think it is as bad with him as it is made out to be. I honestly think that a lot of it is what has become of the Jackets organization. The kid didn't finish too badly the last month of the year, he is only 23, and they would have next year under contract and he is restricted for another two after that. I think taking Mason back will help lower the cost of Rick Nash and keep it from having to raid our prospects and picks too much. All it would be is moving back from 16-18 to 31 or 45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post

Because it legitimately cuts the cost of Rick Nash by taking a negative value player. Nash on his own will be a high cost that Niemi, Murray, and a 1st certainly won't pull off. Do you honestly see the Jackets being able to trade Mason on his own because I don't. Everybody that really wants a new goalie is going to be in the hunt for goalies like Luongo/Schneider or Lindback or Harding. Moving Niemi for Mason gives Mason a fresh start he likely needs and if he can't hack it here, then we can let him go after the year but at least it opens up the position for competition and gives Greiss and Stalock and everyone else a legitimate shot at a starting position.

And just for clarity's sake, I don't think Columbus will want Murray. They have seven d-men under contract or restricted. I'm pretty sure most of our money dumps to cover Nash will be in forwards.

I also don't want to say that I'm completely for the deal either. Personally, I have no interest in seeing Nash in teal. I wouldn't mind moving Niemi to Columbus for a draft pick and letting them figure out where to put Mason on their own but I also realize that DW will try to get Nash whether I want him to or not and just hope for the sake of the team that he gets rid of the people that need to go and make enough room for him and get the depth they need.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:13 PM
thrillermiller89

didnt we learn from heatley's big contract and slow skating?

do not want nash...

he's a great player, but he's over-priced and we'd be better off using that money to build balanced lines instead of always being top heavy

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:25 PM
hockeyball

Not sure where the slow skating comments are coming from. I'm not a Nash fan, but he's absolutely a fast skater. Skating is one of his best attributes in fact.

Maybe you are just referring to his 'floating' and if so, I agree.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Kitten Mittons

Nash is fast for his size but not in the 'absolute' sense.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 05:32 PM
WSS11

vCash: 772
I'm for Nash at the right price but I want nothing to do with that "flash in the pan" Mason

WSS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:26 PM
sjshrky27

I dont understand why everyone here thinks Nash would hurt the Sharks (except his huge contract). The guy is an all-star. He scores goals, plays rough (unlike Marleau...) and can skate.

Saying Nash is overrated/isnt that good, is completly irrational due to the fact he plays on one of the worst teams in the NHL. Put him on a winning team and lets see what happens..

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:30 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
If Luongo let's them. CBJ isn't a place I see Luongo accepting a trade too.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
I dont understand why everyone here thinks Nash would hurt the Sharks (except his huge contract). The guy is an all-star. He scores goals, plays rough (unlike Marleau...) and can skate.

Saying Nash is overrated/isnt that good, is completly irrational due to the fact he plays on one of the worst teams in the NHL. Put him on a winning team and lets see what happens..
Nash hits but he does not play rough and he can't skate like Marleau.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:40 PM
wtfisthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Nash isnt gonna hurt the Sharks, giving up the required pieces to get him, will. If they didnt look so pathetic in most of the regular season and the playoffs, I would be against getting Nash. But thats not the case, so I would definitely welcome the change at this point.

wtfisthis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:48 PM
WSS11

vCash: 772
Lets say Nash to SJ does happen and Niemi is included.. Who would replace Nemo? Stalock and Sateri won't be ready to step into the starting role..Would you guys support a trade for somebody like Theodore? I watched a couple FLA games this year where they brought up their phenom youngster Markstrom and he looked ready to take over. This kid has the size of Luongo, but the agility and lateral movement of Rinne. At 1.5 mil, i'd consider someone like Theodore.

WSS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS11 View Post
Lets say Nash to SJ does happen and Niemi is included.. Who would replace Nemo? Stalock and Sateri won't be ready to step into the starting role..Would you guys support a trade for somebody like Theodore? I watched a couple FLA games this year where they brought up their phenom youngster Markstrom and he looked ready to take over. This kid has the size of Luongo, but the agility and lateral movement of Rinne. At 1.5 mil, i'd consider someone like Theodore.
I'd rather give Greiss and Stalock/Sateri the shot and go from there. If we need a goalie, one would be available during the season and free agency isn't going to be much this year in net.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:06 PM
murdock1116

If we got Nash for something like

Niemi
Murray
Demers
2nd

It might be worth it. We don't lose any of our "Core" and we bring in a great offensive player that could allow us to have 3 scoring lines.

Then we could sign a goalie on the cheap, who can play probably just as well as Niemi:

Harding
Clemmensen

Or maybe even go for someone like Gustavsson, who hasn't played well since being in the NHL but is also playing for the worst team in the league. And at one point was said to one of the best goalie prospects that Doug Wilson was after. Between any of these goalies and Greiss we could let them battle it out.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:30 PM
WTFetus

Why exactly is Mason negative value? He's on his last year of his contract, they could waive him if they really have to, or they could buy him out (perhaps an amnesty clause in the next CBA).
Adding Mason to a deal doesn't suddenly mean they'll accept less for Nash.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote