HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2012, 10:30 AM
  #26
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
Anyone think that Tyler Biggs leaving Miami of Ohio could impact Seiloff or Barber's decisions to go there?

It may make Barbers choice more easier to go there since with Biggs departure it pushes Barber up one notch on the depth chart.

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
05-02-2012, 11:46 AM
  #27
punch1943
Registered User
 
punch1943's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzys View Post
where did tyler biggs go ?
If my memory serves me well I believe it was said he'd have 3 choices
A) Maple Leafs (B) Marlboros (C) Oshawa (which holds his OHL rights).
Odds are he goes to the OHL for a couple years of developement.

punch1943 is offline  
Old
05-02-2012, 12:12 PM
  #28
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
If my memory serves me well I believe it was said he'd have 3 choices
A) Maple Leafs (B) Marlboros (C) Oshawa (which holds his OHL rights).
Odds are he goes to the OHL for a couple years of developement.
Personally I don't think he's ready for the AHL yet, he'll probably play one year in the OHL as he will get the ice time and chance to develop on the top line and will move up to the AHL the year after.

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
05-02-2012, 12:54 PM
  #29
punch1943
Registered User
 
punch1943's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Personally I don't think he's ready for the AHL yet, he'll probably play one year in the OHL as he will get the ice time and chance to develop on the top line and will move up to the AHL the year after.
I have to agree. At this point he's not as good as Kenny Ryan or Dale Mitchell were in the OHL and they couldn't make the Marlies (spent a lot of time at Reading).
That being said, Biggs is the type of physical specimen that Burke likes and he will have a shot in a couple of years as a grinder on the 3rd or 4th line.

punch1943 is offline  
Old
05-02-2012, 01:55 PM
  #30
Crottenham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
I have to agree. At this point he's not as good as Kenny Ryan or Dale Mitchell were in the OHL and they couldn't make the Marlies (spent a lot of time at Reading).
That being said, Biggs is the type of physical specimen that Burke likes and he will have a shot in a couple of years as a grinder on the 3rd or 4th line.
How much did you guys watch Biggs this past season at U of M?

Crottenham is offline  
Old
05-02-2012, 03:15 PM
  #31
big papa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
And to think when the roumers for Ebert going to Oshawa for Laughton and biggs rights everyone said that was to little for Ebert

big papa is offline  
Old
05-02-2012, 09:57 PM
  #32
punch1943
Registered User
 
punch1943's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
How much did you guys watch Biggs this past season at U of M?
Tyler Biggs played for Miami U. Redhawks this past year.

According to the Toronto Star 1 hour ago....

Tyler Biggs has told his U.S. college team he does not plan to return to it next season, preferring to pursue a professional career with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

punch1943 is offline  
Old
05-02-2012, 10:03 PM
  #33
punch1943
Registered User
 
punch1943's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
And to think when the roumers for Ebert going to Oshawa for Laughton and biggs rights everyone said that was to little for Ebert
Mea culpa. I admit I was one of the guys who said exactly that, although at the time Laughton was playing like a dog and Biggs seemed to be doing fine at Miami.
... and Ebert hadn't started to drop like a stone.

punch1943 is offline  
Old
05-02-2012, 10:20 PM
  #34
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Mea culpa. I admit I was one of the guys who said exactly that, although at the time Laughton was playing like a dog and Biggs seemed to be doing fine at Miami.
... and Ebert hadn't started to drop like a stone.
You may still be right on track for a different reason. Windsor would be getting more talent in return but... the Spits aren't in any type of position to deal away Ebert for a totally different reason. If Ebert gets dealt your 6 D might be.

Posa
Braithwaite
Bateman
Devlin
Import
and... 1 of Brown, Sanvido, Bowen

This is ignoring either Seiloff or Schmaltz. That above 6 would be pretty ugly. Ebert has to round his game into form but if he does the D will look a lot better. He's probably the biggest key and to a lesser extent Devlin.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
05-02-2012, 10:51 PM
  #35
big papa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
i think are d as of now should be Posa, Braithwaite, Bateman with Ebert, Devlin, Bowen, Sanvido, Brown, McNaughton pushing for 2 spots. I think Devlin is good but is afraid of the corners while Ebert looked totally out of it and only showed up maybe 15-20 games this season. Bowen, Brown, Sanvido will need to get stronger and faster while McNaughton looked good in his limited games but needs to get alot stronger. With are depth even if it is not high end depth there is alot of potential.

big papa is offline  
Old
05-03-2012, 06:19 AM
  #36
punch1943
Registered User
 
punch1943's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
You may still be right on track for a different reason. Windsor would be getting more talent in return but... the Spits aren't in any type of position to deal away Ebert for a totally different reason. If Ebert gets dealt your 6 D might be.

Posa
Braithwaite
Bateman
Devlin
Import
and... 1 of Brown, Sanvido, Bowen

This is ignoring either Seiloff or Schmaltz. That above 6 would be pretty ugly. Ebert has to round his game into form but if he does the D will look a lot better. He's probably the biggest key and to a lesser extent Devlin.
You are bang on. Unless the Spits bring in (2) two US D-men Ebert isn't going anywhere. Unless they get 2 of Sieloff, Schmaltz or Will Butcher they can't trade Ebert. In a perfect world we'd get two and deal Ebert but in reality we'll be lucky
to get one.
Given the choice I'd want Sieloff over Schmaltz. Sieloff would be the defensive
back up Ebert needs to cover up some of his glaring mental mistakes.
Bateman at this point, at least in my eyes, looks to be their 2nd pairing offensive weapon while Devlin, great shot and all, seems destined for the 3rd pairing.

punch1943 is offline  
Old
05-03-2012, 10:23 AM
  #37
izzys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
looking forward does anyone know what the draft board looks like throught out the 2016 year ?

izzys is offline  
Old
05-03-2012, 01:34 PM
  #38
4 Bobby ORR
Registered User
 
4 Bobby ORR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
https://twitter.com/#!/SeanLafortune...24058958311425

Windsor apparently signed three players. Anyone else heard anything about this and who signed?

4 Bobby ORR is offline  
Old
05-03-2012, 01:37 PM
  #39
Libbs
Registered User
 
Libbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 3,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Bobby ORR View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/SeanLafortune...24058958311425

Windsor apparently signed three players. Anyone else heard anything about this and who signed?
More than likely Ho Sang, Sanvido and either Brown or Verbeek.

Libbs is offline  
Old
05-03-2012, 03:07 PM
  #40
JSavoire
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
I thought the news coming out was that Biggs would either play CHL or Semi-pro? I may have heard wrong.

JSavoire is offline  
Old
05-03-2012, 06:02 PM
  #41
Spitzman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Nice to see Ben Johnson and Brady Vail getting an invite to the NHL Combine.

Spitzman is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 09:48 AM
  #42
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,482
vCash: 500
Not sure it's a surprise to anybody but in an article today about Baughman and Dodero being high USHL picks it also says Nick Schmaltz will be playing in Green Bay this year. I know it's kind of expected but it does hurt a bit from the perspective that the only guy that will probably make a consistent impact from this draft for the upcoming year will be Ho Sang. The other guy Belpedio is commited to the USDP now. Doesn't seem like a lot of turnover will happen unless Khokhlachev doesn't return and they will have to decide what to do on the import front.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
05-04-2012, 10:04 AM
  #43
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Not sure it's a surprise to anybody but in an article today about Baughman and Dodero being high USHL picks it also says Nick Schmaltz will be playing in Green Bay this year. I know it's kind of expected but it does hurt a bit from the perspective that the only guy that will probably make a consistent impact from this draft for the upcoming year will be Ho Sang. The other guy Belpedio is commited to the USDP now. Doesn't seem like a lot of turnover will happen unless Khokhlachev doesn't return and they will have to decide what to do on the import front.
Not really dmen as u know usually take longer to develop so patience is needed with Sanvido and Brown
Billings and Verbeek hopefully will contribute sooner then later especially Billings seeing that he is a 95 born
Getting Schmaltz here would have been great,still think he will be here next year
Looking at this years draft,like I said previously it might turn out to be one of the best drafts under this regime,time will certainly tell
Anytime a team can get 5 or 6 AA rated players in a single draft,closer to 6 I believe is encouraging,its getting them here and developing them,patience is required here

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
05-04-2012, 10:37 AM
  #44
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Not really dmen as u know usually take longer to develop so patience is needed with Sanvido and Brown
Billings and Verbeek hopefully will contribute sooner then later especially Billings seeing that he is a 95 born
Getting Schmaltz here would have been great,still think he will be here next year
Looking at this years draft,like I said previously it might turn out to be one of the best drafts under this regime,time will certainly tell
Anytime a team can get 5 or 6 AA rated players in a single draft,closer to 6 I believe is encouraging,its getting them here and developing them,patience is required here
Why wouldn't Baughman show up then for camp? Are Brown and Sanvido more talented than Baughman? If they're at the same level Windsor should be putting on the full court press to sign Baughman now. You get them in now you will avoid the negative recruiting the OHL receives from the USHL. A lot of the time with these USHL kids they go there and you never hear from them again. Barber is a great example Spits thought they had a great chance even after his year in Dubuque and he ends up playing under 18. Maybe there's hope with Dodero because his brother plays in the OHL but with some of these guys we may never hear from them again.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
05-04-2012, 12:20 PM
  #45
dereksutton9
Registered User
 
dereksutton9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
I thought this was interesting. Not sure this means a lack of local interest in the tournament or a lack of faith. Considering Shawinigan has never won anything, a lack of interest would definitely be disappointing. It's too bad for Windsor they play in a conference where rabid fanbases are a plenty.

From the CHL website ...

Shawinigan, Wedsnesday, April 25th, 2012– The Organizing Committee for the 2012 MasterCard Memorial Cup is pleased to offer three new ticket packages for the 2012 MasterCard Memorial Cup tournament.

"Although the original package "8 games for $550 taxes included" (Ultimate Package) remains the best value, we hope that these three packages provide more options for our loyal supporters in the community, Mauricie Region, and throughout Canada,” said the President of the Organizing Committee André Buisson.

Available starting tomorrow, Thursday April 26 at 9: 00 a.m., the packages are titled: "Cataractes (1)", "CHL (2)" and "Finals (3)". They include: 1) Three games featuring the Cataractes, 2) Three games featuring the champions of the CHL leagues or 3) Two games, which include the semi-final and Championship Final of this prestigious tournament.

(1) CATARACTES PACKAGE

Includes 1 ticket to the following 3 games:
•Cataractes VS WHL (Friday May 18th, 19 h)
•Cataractes VS OHL (Sunday May 20th, 19 h)
•Cataractes VS QMJHL champions (Wednesday May 23rd, 19h)
$269 taxes included

(2) CHL PACKAGE
Includes 1 ticket to the following 3 games:
•QMJHL VS OHL (Saturday May 19th,19 h)
•QMJHL VS WHL (Monday May 21st, 19h)
•OHL VS WHL (Tuesday May 22nd,19 h)
$229 taxes included

(3) FINALS PACKAGE
Includes 1 ticket to the following 2 games
•Semi-Final (Friday May 25th, 19 h)
•Championship Final(Sunday May 27th, 19 h)
$229 taxes included

dereksutton9 is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 12:29 PM
  #46
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
I thought this was interesting. Not sure this means a lack of local interest in the tournament or a lack of faith. Considering Shawinigan has never won anything, a lack of interest would definitely be disappointing. It's too bad for Windsor they play in a conference where rabid fanbases are a plenty.

From the CHL website ...

Shawinigan, Wedsnesday, April 25th, 2012– The Organizing Committee for the 2012 MasterCard Memorial Cup is pleased to offer three new ticket packages for the 2012 MasterCard Memorial Cup tournament.

"Although the original package "8 games for $550 taxes included" (Ultimate Package) remains the best value, we hope that these three packages provide more options for our loyal supporters in the community, Mauricie Region, and throughout Canada,” said the President of the Organizing Committee André Buisson.

Available starting tomorrow, Thursday April 26 at 9: 00 a.m., the packages are titled: "Cataractes (1)", "CHL (2)" and "Finals (3)". They include: 1) Three games featuring the Cataractes, 2) Three games featuring the champions of the CHL leagues or 3) Two games, which include the semi-final and Championship Final of this prestigious tournament.

(1) CATARACTES PACKAGE

Includes 1 ticket to the following 3 games:
•Cataractes VS WHL (Friday May 18th, 19 h)
•Cataractes VS OHL (Sunday May 20th, 19 h)
•Cataractes VS QMJHL champions (Wednesday May 23rd, 19h)
$269 taxes included

(2) CHL PACKAGE
Includes 1 ticket to the following 3 games:
•QMJHL VS OHL (Saturday May 19th,19 h)
•QMJHL VS WHL (Monday May 21st, 19h)
•OHL VS WHL (Tuesday May 22nd,19 h)
$229 taxes included

(3) FINALS PACKAGE
Includes 1 ticket to the following 2 games
•Semi-Final (Friday May 25th, 19 h)
•Championship Final(Sunday May 27th, 19 h)
$229 taxes included
That last package is awful. I only paid $35 and $50 the 2 years the Spits made it to the final game.

Those packages aren't that different from what it was in Rimouski really single game tickets between $65-70.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
05-04-2012, 12:51 PM
  #47
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
$229 is a bit steep, even when you consider the finals last year were going for $125-150.

OHLTG is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 03:31 PM
  #48
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Why wouldn't Baughman show up then for camp? Are Brown and Sanvido more talented than Baughman? If they're at the same level Windsor should be putting on the full court press to sign Baughman now. You get them in now you will avoid the negative recruiting the OHL receives from the USHL. A lot of the time with these USHL kids they go there and you never hear from them again. Barber is a great example Spits thought they had a great chance even after his year in Dubuque and he ends up playing under 18. Maybe there's hope with Dodero because his brother plays in the OHL but with some of these guys we may never hear from them again.
While I get with what you are writing,the fact is that Baughman was rated in the 1st 2 rds but would not committ,thus the reason the spits took a flyer on him in the 14th rd,a good move I say,similar to what to Sarnia did with Murphy and Boucher, and signing them when they were 18
I am sure would love to get kid in here now,however he is uncertain of what he is going to do
While the Spits were having their rookie mini camp Baughman was trying out for Indiana,and then got drafted by them in the 1st rd
As for Dodero,he is from Chicago,plays well here in Windsor last weekend,gets drafted by his hometown team in the Ushl and at 16,probably not ready to play in the O,and as Rychel says a year in the USHL would be beneficial to both players
Getting American based players is not always easy,u can offer them full packages edc wise and still not get them from playing the college game
Teams like London,Kitchener,Plymouth have not always been successful in getting Americans too
Kitchener could not sign Fowler,might not get Trouba,the Knights could not get Glenndenning,Mermis and Klie,the whalers drafted Petrecki in the 1st rd and he never came to the OHL
For every Riley Barber and maybe Dodero,there is always a Ben Johnson and a Brady Vail
Windsor is not alone in being not always successful in luring Us born players

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
05-04-2012, 04:17 PM
  #49
Skm
Registered User
 
Skm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 1551
Thought this would be the best spot to ask (those who followed the Spits).

I have been lead to believe that Taylor Hall player center in his rookie year for Windsor. I'm looking to get more details about him at C.

Did he play C at any point after that year? Does anyone remember how he was at faceoffs? Did he ever put himself at risk of being hit while cutting through the middle of the ice? Was his speed still as effective?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Skm is offline  
Old
05-04-2012, 04:29 PM
  #50
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
Thought this would be the best spot to ask (those who followed the Spits).

I have been lead to believe that Taylor Hall player center in his rookie year for Windsor. I'm looking to get more details about him at C.

Did he play C at any point after that year? Does anyone remember how he was at faceoffs? Did he ever put himself at risk of being hit while cutting through the middle of the ice? Was his speed still as effective?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Yes

Taylor Hall started out as a centerman,but was moved to the wing very early in his career here
His less then steller pucksharing abilities neccessitated the move to the wing,he was and is a better shooter then passer despite his obvious abilities,I think he is better suited to the wing
During his time here he fell more then taking big hits,though he did take a couple big hits,but he is generally an aware guy
He will have to work on his faceoff skills dont remember him taking many here in Windsor
Of course we had Adam Henriques and Scott Timmins here to take most of the draws

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.