HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez to be bought out? - Louis Jean on FAN 590

Old
05-02-2012, 09:12 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
We can make cap room if we have to. It's just a matter of rearranging the furniture.
Yeah, I'm sure Suter will be like --- yeah try to make cap room ... I'll sit here and wait whole other teams throw millions at me.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:19 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
Do not bury him in the juniors/ahl with our prospects. Do you really want our prospects to come in contact with this floater?? If you bury him then send him to Europe, or KHL.

Buying him out might sting a bit years 1-2 but 3-4 is not that bad.
Gomez is a terrible hockey player. But a floater isn't what I would label him..

Old
05-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure Suter will be like --- yeah try to make cap room ... I'll sit here and wait whole other teams throw millions at me.
You can make cap room after.

If the cap is at 66 mil you can be as high as 72.6 mil until opening night.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
TEN pages on a Louis Jean rumor regarding the status of Gomez and his contract.

Yes, I said it. A RUMOR.

some where in a far away place in his own mind, Pierre Gauthier was planning to put Gomez on waivers during the national anthem

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:28 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Enlighten me, oh great one.

Seems to me the concept of eating someone's contract affecting one's ability to spend is lost on the many a great HFers around here, but hey - I'm the one trolling.
It was mostly in reference with you saying that Gomez would prefer being sent to the AHL.

But the part about us not being able to spend to the cap is equally laughable.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
You're allowed to be over the cap limit by 10% in the summer, so Montreal will have a couple of months to be in compliance. I'm assuming we sign him as a UFA in early July so I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:08 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
some where in a far away place in his own mind, Pierre Gauthier was planning to put Gomez on waivers during the national anthem
American or Canadian?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:47 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You can make cap room after.

If the cap is at 66 mil you can be as high as 72.6 mil until opening night.
It was an extreme example.

Who cares if we can go over the cap because apparently we can't send any players down because it's not classy .. We have to buy then out lol

Old
05-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Who cares if we can go over the cap because apparently we can't send any players down because it's not classy .. We have to buy then out lol
If buy-outs weren't the best/only way around certain situations, there wouldn't have been 29 of them on the books around the league this year - everyone would have been just demoted instead. That's 29 different scenarios from around (over?) a dozen teams in which it was decided that a buy-out, instead of demotion, was the way to go. It's about planning, direction, and the 50 contract maximum, not necessarily "class". Having said that, established veterans are obviously much more likely to get bought out instead of demoted to the minors, for reasons that have already been clearly and extensively detailed, here and other places. Or maybe there are people who think burying Gomez in the minors for slightly better cap relief as one of the 50 contracts is worth putting an entire year of possible development on hold for a prospect ready to crack the pro ranks. Can't believe almost the entire TSN panel seemed to gloss over that aspect of a team trying to rebound/"rebuild".

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 05-03-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:03 AM
groovejuice

Quote:

Classy is two-way. If Scott's ever present smile had a few less teeth from grinding it out instead of sporadic floating for $7+ mil, this conversation would be moot.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
If buy-outs weren't the best/only way around certain situations, there wouldn't have been 29 of them on the books around the league this year - everyone would have been just demoted instead. That's 29 different scenarios from around (over?) a dozen teams in which it was decided that a buy-out, instead of demotion, was the way to go. It's about planning, direction, and the 50 contract maximum, not necessarily "class". Having said that, established veterans are obviously much more likely to get bought out instead of demoted to the minors, for reasons that have already been clearly and extensively detailed, here and other places. Or maybe there are people who think burying Gomez in the minors for slightly better cap relief as one of the 50 contracts is worth putting an entire year of possible development on hold for a prospect ready to crack the pro ranks. Can't believe almost the entire TSN panel seemed to gloss over that aspect of a team trying to rebound/"rebuild".
So he'll take the spot of a player who will in all likelihood never wear a Habs jersey? Terrible argument.

It's not like he'll take Leblanc's spot. Leblanc will be bumped to second line and whoever was there will be bumped to third etc.

Playmaker09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:21 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
So he'll take the spot of a player who will in all likelihood never wear a Habs jersey? Terrible argument.
You wanna know a terrible argument? Assuming that any drafted player that is currently unsigned, or even drafted this year, will never play for the Habs, or be more deserving of Scott Gomez's roster spot as early as next year, or possibly the year after. For example, if we draft Yakupov this year (let's just say), and he's ready to play next year, who is the first contract you'd let go to make room for him in the 50, if not Scott Gomez? And realize that you can't just "let people go" whenever you decide to, and that dumping a $500K 4th line plug, or $75K minor leaguer, doesn't necessarily also give you the cap space to sign a top 3 draft pick and his likely million+ cap hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
It's not like he'll take Leblanc's spot. Leblanc will be bumped to second line and whoever was there will be bumped to third etc.
I don't think you quite understand how the max 50 contract thing works...

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 05-03-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:44 AM
Unagi

Nah no way he gets bought out. Makes no sense at all. They will just bury him in the minors or in Europe.

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 04:29 AM
Dont Poke Subban

Geez.. Just keep him. Give him erik cole and gionta. And never break them up.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Not every team in the NHL wants or has the cash flow to send players to the minors(to get them off the cap) and still pay to the cap. For a smaller or medium market with a budget moreso than the salary cap, it makes sense to only pay 2/3 of what they owe stretched out over twice the length.

If Gomez was in Nashville and they felt he was no longer worth keeping then giving him 6.67 over 4 years is easier to swallow than 10 mil over 2 years. To them the cap is a non factor, they only used 52 of 64 mil available.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:39 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Speculation on my part but maybe this was discussed with Bergevin and he probably pointed out that many players don't want to come to Montreal for other reasons so why give them another. Burying a player in the minors will be seen negatively. Releasing him could build a little good will in the league.

Or

Paying him off could cost Molson less than if he sent him to Hamilton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
Really, the cap hit isn't ridiculous, I'm sure burying players isn't popular in terms of attracting UFAs.

Why is this a big deal? Obviously it would be best if Gomez retired gracefully,but I just want him gone. Period. It's a good thing.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:33 AM
SeriousHabs

Keep Gomez in the lineup makes more sense than buying him out imo.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:09 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Send him to the ECHL. Loan him to the Alaska Aces.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:11 AM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Keep Gomez in the lineup makes more sense than buying him out imo.
He was a distraction the whole year. Not sure if keeping him is a good idea unless he can seriously pick up his game.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:17 AM
baldrick

Don't think I want Gomez to be a teammate of our prospects,he would be a huge distraction and a poor example(one day you too can collect 7 mil a year based on reputation and wear a silly grin).

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:00 AM
VeganEarthlings
Rookie User

I think Bergevin will give Gomez another chance. They CANNOT buy him out, it will effect the cap hit. The only solution, is to send him to the minors for the rest of his contract, like Redden and the Rangers (this solution does not affect the cap hit).

Bergevin is warmhearted, and it's apparent he likes to give people chances. Yes, Gomez has been a failure (especially in his last 2 seasons), but this is now new management (hence, new leadership), and this WILL be Gomez's final chance. I think Bergevin will give him a chance for the first 25 games, and if Gomez is not producing (not working out), they'll send him down to the minors for the rest of his career. Hopefully now with Bergevin, and with a new coach that Gomez will do a 180.

VeganEarthlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:18 AM
poetryinmotion

Keeping Gomez in the lineup isn't an option I believe, didn't he have a fall-out with management? He's a rotten apple to them.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Valois

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Keeping Gomez in the lineup isn't an option I believe, didn't he have a fall-out with management? He's a rotten apple to them.
I've heard this too but I'm wondering if anyone has an actual source. There were some pretty crazy rumours flying around - that he wasn't "really" injured, etc. I'd like to know if there's actual weight to this one.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:38 AM
rickthegoon

Isn't Gomez' official latest condition '' injured with concussion''. If that's the case, I don't think think any move can be made while he's on the injury list...and since buy out time is only a 2 week window, maybe that option won't be an option after all.

Best thing that could happen is that G-Love goes to the doctor and says he still has headaches and blurry vision!!!!!.......could bring game footage as proof and show all empty nets he missed !.....could also show all footage of his stoooopid grin on the bench when team is trailing by 4 goals.....that's gotta be some kinda proof somehing's wrong with the guy.......stay on long term injury list for the remainder of your contract Scotty, save everybody the aggravation...enjoy the recovery on the beach!

rickthegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:52 AM
zzoo

From best solution to worse:

1. Trade Gomez away, without giving anything more (pick)
2. Convince him to retire
3. Send him to ECL, Europe and any team other than Bulldogs and Habs
4. Send him to Bulldogs Hamilton
5. Trade Gomez away, and absorb another over-paid player (ex: Penner, Redden, etc.)
6. Trade Gomez away, and give a medium to low pick
7. Buy him out
8. Play him in Habs jersey

I'll be very happy with option #1-3. I'm ok with options #4-6. I'll be upset with the last two options.

Is there any other option ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote