HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stu Bickel

Old
05-03-2012, 12:41 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Yeah, our Stanley Cup winning coach is an idiot. Our other 5 defensemen were clearly awful tonight. Are you available to take over behind the bench for Game 4?
my bad-- the 20 guys on the team playing hockey have no impact to his stanley cup win. you're right.

playing 5 defensemen is dumb. he had no idea how long this game would last. would we really wanna see guys playing 60 minutes a night? why not just leave mcd and girardi out all game....go back to watching golf brah...

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:48 AM
pucksoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post

pucksoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:49 AM
Cake or Death

The guy is playing in the NHL and made $600,000 this year. I'm kinda having a difficult time feeling sorry for him.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laces out Dan View Post
The guy is playing in the NHL and made $600,000 this year. I'm kinda having a difficult time feeling sorry for him.
LOL This....that face is sad, but the guy is living a dream most of us here would do for free..so I dont feel bad.

That being said, do we see eminger on saturday?

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Victory*
We're Still In It

I guess Torts forgot about

Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

I wish Bickel was a better player, but he isn't. He got the ice time he deserved. Unfortunately, there is no one else in the organization who can be trusted to play more minutes, so he'll probably stay in the lineup and continue to play under 5 minutes a night.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:02 AM
JFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I didn't see Bickel at all, but I would not say that was a quick screen shot that caught a quick expression. It must have been soul crushing to sit there and not be used all the way into the third overtime period... I feel terrible for him. The giveaway he had in game 2 was huge and Torts has lost all trust in him because of that. I'm really hoping he makes a good come back from this. He's a great story and a resilient guy, I know he will.
Just out of curiosity, what's his story?

JFG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:05 AM
MDL8981

Why is Eminger seen as a worse player then Bickel in Torts eyes? Its one thing I just dont get. Eminger is a solid 5-6 D-man. He doesnt do anything great, but he's steady and generally doesnt make any glaring mistakes to hurt the team (like Bickel made in Game 2).

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFG View Post
Nobody ever expected him to be an NHL player or play more than a couple games?

Old
05-03-2012, 01:07 AM
JFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory View Post
Nobody ever expected him to be an NHL player or play more than a couple games?
Ok, I got the impression that it was a bit more extraordinary than that. My bad

JFG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:39 AM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Quote:
Ok, I got the impression that it was a bit more extraordinary than that. My bad
Oh, well, at the age of 4, Stuart Matthew Bickel was diagnosed with a rare and severe form of .....ok I got nothing man.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

after sitting him for as long as they did, theres NO way you can throw the kid out there in that kinda pressure cooker.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 01:51 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:

Bickel was undrafted and played in five hockey leagues before he finally made it to the NHL. He played in the USHL, NAHL, WCHA, ECHL, and the AHL.

On July 2, 2008, the Anaheim Ducks signed him to a three-year contract. In the 201011 season, on November 23, 2010, Bickel was traded by the Ducks to the New York Rangers in exchange for fellow defenseman, Nigel Williams.

After starting the 2011-12 season with the AHL Connecticut Whale, Bickel was called up to the Rangers on December 18, 2011. He made his NHL debut on December 20, 2011, in a game against the New Jersey Devils, recording an assist in the game for his first NHL point.

From there on out Bickel has been kept on the roster and played every game to my knowledge, including the Winter Classic, which was a tremendous honor. There was even a time when many were arguing that Tortorella was giving him too much ice time, playing him on the second pairing for a short period of time.

All in all Bickle is a lovable third pairing D man that worked his ass off to get to this point. He is also a skilled fighter and always sticks up for his team mates, which should not go unmentioned. As far as his NHL career is concerned, this is rock bottom. Bickle has been in much worse positions however, he will bounce back.

Defensively I think he's a lot better than people give him credit for, as long as he's not overused. Tonight he was under utilized big time, but we won, that's what matters.

Bickle will brush the dirt off his shoulders and redeem himself. I for one am rooting for him.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:05 AM
Tumsh

Quote:
I dunno. It's not all about money. Sure, when he looks back at his life as a hockey player he'll be glad he made it to the NHL and all, but right now you gotta feel for him.

For those players right there, who get no extra money for going far in the playoffs, the effort they put in is because they love hockey and want to win real bad. If they were in it for the money, they wouldn't be playing so hard right now. As such, I feel really bad for Bickel, whether or not he makes $600k a year.

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:18 AM
ck20

Bickel has played less games than Hagelin, keep in mind. This is his first season in the NHL too. Not the youngest at 25, but certainly could be a serviceable piece down the road and certainly can still improve his game; it's not like these guys are robots that hit some theoretical and singular peak and honestly I see Bickel staying as our 5th/6th d-man next season. Eminger might be useful for the next game and maybe just have Bickel sit and regroup..but honestly, I'd rather see Eminger or Bickel out there in place of Stralman, holy sweet lord talk about giving Ovie an absolute gift.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:31 AM
tomobson

Depressing picture. This guy has worked hard to get here and I'm sure he's not done fighting yet. That boneheaded soft pass across the blue line cost him a lot of points with coach Torts, though, but I think he can make a comeback next game if he proves to Torts that he's up for the challenge.

tomobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:34 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Bickel has played less games than Hagelin, keep in mind. This is his first season in the NHL too. Not the youngest at 25, but certainly could be a serviceable piece down the road and certainly can still improve his game; it's not like these guys are robots that hit some theoretical and singular peak and honestly I see Bickel staying as our 5th/6th d-man next season. Eminger might be useful for the next game and maybe just have Bickel sit and regroup..but honestly, I'd rather see Eminger or Bickel out there in place of Stralman, holy sweet lord talk about giving Ovie an absolute gift.
stralman has been great offensively and his defense isn't THAT bad. i don't think i'd want to see anybody that we have as extras replace him. he's invaluable on the pp and continues to improve in both ends.

Old
05-03-2012, 03:02 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
stralman has been great offensively and his defense isn't THAT bad. i don't think i'd want to see anybody that we have as extras replace him. he's invaluable on the pp and continues to improve in both ends.
i dunno, that turnover to AO was pretty frikkin awful.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:33 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
i dunno, that turnover to AO was pretty frikkin awful.
so was bickel's turnover and i think he's a fine player, too. girardi, mcd, and staal sometimes make crazy turnovers(won't even mention cally's blind front of crease backhand "passes" )... not worried about it though--especially with stralman. stralman is more than i could've expected when we first saw him. he's come a long way and still has a long path of improvement to come.

Old
05-03-2012, 03:49 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

Quote:
I'm sure he'd like to play more, and was disappointed to be benched for four straight periods, but It's not like he sat there sulking. After the GWG eh was out on the ice celebrating with the team and looking pretty happy.

This team looks like a tight bunch of guys. I don't doubt for a second Bickel feels he was a part of this win to some degree.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:54 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
I'm sure he'd like to play more, and was disappointed to be benched for four straight periods, but It's not like he sat there sulking. After the GWG eh was out on the ice celebrating with the team and looking pretty happy.

This team looks like a tight bunch of guys. I don't doubt for a second Bickel feels he was a part of this win to some degree.
i'm sure he wishes he could've helped more, but he's not going to be sour when his team wins the game.

imagine how bad this game would've sucked in mcdonagh was concussed from that hit to the head in the first. didn't even look like he lost a step.

Old
05-03-2012, 05:23 AM
blueshirtbolt

he's an adequate defenceman at NHL level. he proved that during the season, he'll want to win as much as anyone else on the team. give him a shift or two at least and preserve our top 4!! continuously leaving him on the bench will only make his effort level decrease

blueshirtbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:30 AM
beastly115

Don't see why he couldn't have taken a few shifts at forward...

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Don't see why he couldn't have taken a few shifts at forward...
Agreed. I was waiting for Torts to put him in at wing and watch him go all Peter Klima for us.

That being said, the guy knows his role. I was the worst player on a flag football team a few years back, and I had no problem with the coach keeping me off the field during big situations. I knew I had no business being on the field at those times.

After the goal, I was trying to find Stu during the celebration. I think one camera angle showed him jump over the bench with his arms up and celebrating with everyone else.

Dude will be fine.

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:59 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Guy will go through a brick wall for his teammates.

You have to respect a guy like that.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote