HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stu Bickel

Old
05-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory View Post
I guess Torts forgot about

tort's was probably crying that the guy wasn't covered. 'shot shouldve never happened blah blah blah i yell at the media and think the nhl is out to get me'

but really this guy basically saved us that game-- possibly the entire series. he deserved more than 3 minutes... they didn't know it was going into 3OT but they still could've given the guy a 30 second shift in the third-- even as somebody has said as a forward.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumsh View Post
I dunno. It's not all about money.
This, he isn't getting paid in the playoffs. Saying oh but he made 600k, well as much as it is , it isn't sipping rum runners in the Caribbean for the rest of his life money. I am sure he wants to play. This is hockey, it isn't baseball. Those guys want to play.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDL8981 View Post
Either he needs to give Bickel more time in Game 4, or Eminger needs to dress and get time.

We rode our top 5 D-men to the extreme tonight. I know we have two days off till Game 4, but we have to give that last D-man more time.
Exactly. I don't mind Bickel, but if Torts does, fine, use Eminger

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:40 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
I think that Eminger needs to take Bickel's place if Tortorella's only going to place Bickel 3 or 4 minutes per game. Having a 'dead-weight' #6 puts too much stress on the other d-men.
I'm sure Torts didn't go into the game expecting to only give him 3 or 4 minutes. Otherwise, he would have dressed Eminger.

Sullivan runs the defense, so it may have been his decision to hold Bickel out.

We won the game. What are we upset about again? Whatever moves the coaching staff made, they worked. The rest of our dmen aren't going to be appreciable more tired than washington's dmen simply because they played 5 minutes more in the game, on average. Our team is better conditioned anyway. That showed in the 2nd and 3rd OT.

What would you guys have said if Bickel had played in overtime and ended up costing us the game? I'm not saying that's what would have happened, but it's silly to second guess the decision, particularly since we won.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:53 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I'm sure Torts didn't go into the game expecting to only give him 3 or 4 minutes. Otherwise, he would have dressed Eminger.

Sullivan runs the defense, so it may have been his decision to hold Bickel out.

We won the game. What are we upset about again? Whatever moves the coaching staff made, they worked. The rest of our dmen aren't going to be appreciable more tired than washington's dmen simply because they played 5 minutes more in the game, on average. Our team is better conditioned anyway. That showed in the 2nd and 3rd OT.

What would you guys have said if Bickel had played in overtime and ended up costing us the game? I'm not saying that's what would have happened, but it's silly to second guess the decision, particularly since we won.
I think it's the opposite. Torts goes into these games knowing that its going to be a 5 man rotation. Torts feelings about Bickel haven't changed, just the circumstances we are in have changed. Bickel is ahead of Eminger on the depth chart right now.

Bickel is basically the 5th starter during the baseball playoffs. Just because he's not pitching doesn't mean you replace him on the roster with some guy who spent the year in AAA. You sit him in the bullpen and use him only when the time calls for it.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
I think it's the opposite. Torts goes into these games knowing that its going to be a 5 man rotation. Torts feelings about Bickel haven't changed, just the circumstances we are in have changed. Bickel is ahead of Eminger on the depth chart right now.

Bickel is basically the 5th starter during the baseball playoffs. Just because he's not pitching doesn't mean you replace him on the roster with some guy who spent the year in AAA. You sit him in the bullpen and use him only when the time calls for it.
Bickel deserves to be in the top 6 based on his play in the yr and heck I would sign him to a cheap 1 way deal next yr as the spare Dman.

However Torts does not trust the guy in key situations. Can't blame him since he was in the ECHL/AHL his whole career. If Sauer was healthy this D would be sick

I would still put Eminger in since he has experience and still hits. he doesnt fight but he can still bang bodies like Bickel would.

Erixon is in for next yr in my books but I would not throw him in now unless a top 4 Dman goes down.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:21 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
This kid had a hell of a season, and as much of a fan of his that I am and as much as I think he will make one fine 3rd pairing defenceman in this league, he has made a few mistake the last few games and I had no issue with Torts sitting him.

In fact I think I would take the kid aside, explain to him that he has a futuer in the NHL, but that he's hurting the team and we have to go with Eminger.

Hell of a rookie season, but he's now making the mistakce he should have made months ago.

He will bounce back.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Stepanformayor*

Bottem line is Tort's doesn't coach like Dale Hunter..With Hunter it doesn't matter what your name is or your salary is.. You make mistakes or don't give 110 percent, you sit..Tort's plays favorites with the big money guys..And there is No doubt about that.. If the young/less experience guys make mistakes it seems they pay a steeper price. All in all i think Bickle has been very solid..I don't think anyone out there thought he would be as good as he's been, and he adds a dimension this team desperetly needs.. Were soft enough the way it is..

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:29 AM
dmjt4160

vCash: 1004
I can't blame Torts for using 5 d through the 3rd in that tight of a game. Im sure he would have played him more minutes had he known wed play 2 full games but it doesn't work like that. As others have said you simply can't throw him out there in OT after hes been sitting for so long.

Will be interesting to see how much time he gets next game or if Eminger gets his shot.

dmjt4160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:05 AM
MSG the place to be*

In basketball there are 15 roster spots. Coaches only go with a 7-10 man rotation. In hockey there are traditionally 12 forward spots and 6 D spots. Doesn't mean you have to use them all.

It's really really simple. Bickel isn't playing a lot because McDonagh in his 50th minute is more reliable than Bickel in his 1st minute.

This is the luxury of having stud dmen.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:30 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post

You want sad? This is sad:

Playing for the Green Bay Gamblers is sad. Being on the team for the m-f'ng Rangers in a playoff series is not sad. Guy gets at least the league minimum, air travel, first rate hotels, meal allowances, top trainers / medical staff, massages, his name on a hockey card, etc etc etc. First year out of the minors, and he's still on the team after coughing up the puck in Game 2.

What exactly should I be feeling sorry for?

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:34 AM
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
Bottem line is Tort's doesn't coach like Dale Hunter..With Hunter it doesn't matter what your name is or your salary is.. You make mistakes or don't give 110 percent, you sit..Tort's plays favorites with the big money guys..And there is No doubt about that.. If the young/less experience guys make mistakes it seems they pay a steeper price.
Oh yes. That is why Torts kept dressing Mitchell while showing Avery the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjt4160 View Post
I can't blame Torts for using 5 d through the 3rd in that tight of a game. Im sure he would have played him more minutes had he known wed play 2 full games but it doesn't work like that.
Quoted for truth. Playoff OT is pure sudden-death action. No way for anyone to know if the game will be extended for 6 minutes or 60. All you know is that the game will come to an end the instant a goal is scored.

Here is what I do know for sure: If the Rangers had lost in OT due to a miscue having anything to do with Bickel, the nitpickers who are now taking the coaches to task for Bickel's TOI will be the same exact people who will be crucifying Torts for letting Bickel blow 2 games in a row.

A classic "damned if you do, damned if you don't." Just no pleasing these folks, even in victory.

The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:37 AM
NYR Viper

To be fair, one of the only reasons he played in the ECHL was due to the fact that Anaheim, the team he signed with, did not have a AHL team, and therefore had to loan their players to other teams. He is a quality, unspectacular AHL defenseman who will skate through a wall for his teammates.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:38 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
my bad-- the 20 guys on the team playing hockey have no impact to his stanley cup win. you're right.

playing 5 defensemen is dumb. he had no idea how long this game would last. would we really wanna see guys playing 60 minutes a night? why not just leave mcd and girardi out all game....go back to watching golf brah...
What the hell are you talking about? Yeah, suggesting that Tortorella might know more about defensive pair rotation and using the most effective players in a long overtime game than a boob watching on TV means that I'm discrediting the Tampa players who played under him. Wonderful use of logic on your part.

Keep thinking you're smarter than the professionals. Brah.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Bickel had the best seat in the house. Some people pay $1,000 to sit that close to the ice for a playoff game.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 05-03-2012 at 09:45 AM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
Bottem line is Tort's doesn't coach like Dale Hunter..With Hunter it doesn't matter what your name is or your salary is.. You make mistakes or don't give 110 percent, you sit..Tort's plays favorites with the big money guys..And there is No doubt about that.. If the young/less experience guys make mistakes it seems they pay a steeper price. All in all i think Bickle has been very solid..I don't think anyone out there thought he would be as good as he's been, and he adds a dimension this team desperetly needs.. Were soft enough the way it is..
The dropping of Avery and the continuous play of Mitchell disagree greatly with you.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:44 AM
NYR Viper

I am honestly a little surprised Torts hasn't used Bickel at forward a little bit during some of these games. He may not be the best defenseman in the world but let him take over the defensive responsibilities of the center and have (3) d-men on the ice at the same time. Get him 7-9 minutes a night and give some other players a bit of the rest and let him get in on the forecheck and and bang some bodies.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Mrpuck

If Bickel had given away the game winning goal in the 3rd OT you guys would be calling Torts a bonehead for playing him in that position.
Some of you are impossible to please. Eminger would have been sitting in the same situation. Bickel knows his role, and in close games he may not see many minutes.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:24 AM
lbrowne

I agree with Inferno, with the game winding down and the result possibly going either way - you don't throw in a guy that hasn't seen the ice at all.

That said, I hope Torts starts feeding him some more minutes this next game early.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:26 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The larger issue to me is if Torts doesn't trust a guy to play more than 3+ mins in a triple overtime game, whys he in the lineup in the first place?

05-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Bickel definitely could have gotten a few shifts at forward. I wouldn't see the harm in it.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:34 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Bickel wasnt sad. He was exhausted and trying to stay awake.

He's used to this by now.

The kid is living a dream. He'll be fine. But I do think that Torts should dress Eminger and play him 8 or 9 mins.

Our guys will never admit it, but every extra second of rest helps.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Bickel needs to learn to embrace the position, and instead of sulking, become a bench presence. He should be taking notes from Scott, for example. He barely played in Chicago and he's a much worse defenseman. However, the team loved him and they were upset when he was traded. Bickel needs to become that guy.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Honestly, I was more worried about a fatigue-induced mistake from someone who had logged more TOI than than they normally would in 2 games combined.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:52 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Honestly, I was more worried about a fatigue-induced mistake from someone who had logged more TOI than than they normally would in 2 games combined.
But can you remember a single instance of one of the 5 dmen looking fatigued or out of position later in the game?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote