HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, College, International, Other) *Part VI*

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2012, 09:12 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Plymouth got another college bound kid to sign with them. Plymouth should be good again next season. From: @chnews
Sent: Apr 30, 2012 10:04a

RT @ChrisDilks: Reported by @chrismpeters that Miami commit Ryan Hartman will instead play for Plymouth in OHL next year.

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/chnews/status/196963230550200320

Old
05-01-2012, 02:06 PM
NYR Viper

Our own Christian Thomas comes in @ #6 in the HD top-10 OHL wingers.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...0_ohl_wingers/

Quote:
6. Christian Thomas, Oshawa Generals
NHL Rights: New York Rangers
Drafted 2nd round, 40th overall, 2010

Coming off a season in which he ranked as one of the elite goal-scorers in the CHL, Thomas fell off a bit in 2011-2012. Although his 34 goals and 67 points are very good numbers, they failed in comparison to the 54 goals and 99 points that he put up a year ago.

Thomas' struggles, if you can consider them that, were largely due to an early season suspension that shortened his season by 10 games. The 19-year-old took some time to regain his scoring touch, but when he did, he once again became one of the more dangerous offensive players in the league.

The son of former NHLer Steve Thomas, Christian makes up for his lack of size (5'9, 170) with excellent instincts and a deft-scoring ability. He is a natural goal-scorer who is a quick skater and possesses a very quick release. At the culmination of his season with Oshawa, Thomas has been signed to the Rangers AHL team in Connecticut where he has two goals and two assists in six games.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:45 PM
broadwayblue

Anyone think Thomas has a shot at a cup of coffee next season...or is he still at least another year away? Hopefully he has a better training camp this time around. Has he put on any weight? I remember him going down quite a bit.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Thomas would be perfect for our third line next year. Add some speed and scoring to the line. That is if MZA is gone this offseason.

Old
05-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Shanahan View Post
Thomas would be perfect for our third line next year. Add some speed and scoring to the line. That is if MZA is gone this offseason.

He won't be ready for NHL duty. He needs at least a full year in the AHL, maybe two years, probably a year and a half. And that's if he doesn't go bust.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:17 AM
gravey9

anyone have any idea what the plans are for Jesper Fasth? Are they going to sign him and bring him over for training camp? I believe he has an out on his SEL contract that will allow him to come over - but he had that big injury this year. Out of the all the forward prospects, I'm most excited about Fasth and Yogan. Would love to get Fasth over next year.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:12 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
anyone have any idea what the plans are for Jesper Fasth? Are they going to sign him and bring him over for training camp? I believe he has an out on his SEL contract that will allow him to come over - but he had that big injury this year. Out of the all the forward prospects, I'm most excited about Fasth and Yogan. Would love to get Fasth over next year.
He's likely to be signed and then loaned back out to his SEL club for another year.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:26 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
He won't be ready for NHL duty. He needs at least a full year in the AHL, maybe two years, probably a year and a half. And that's if he doesn't go bust.
A lot of people said that about Stepan and he came in and won a spot in camp. He's already putting up good numbers in his brief AHL experience (4 in 6) and that's with him not playing with these guys all season. My guess is we might see some of him next season with injuries and possibly strong play in the AHL.

Him being a RW will make it hard for him to crack the line-up. With the likes of Gaborik, Callahan, Zucarello ahead of him already, he'd have an uphill climb to be in the NHL next season especially in a bottom 6 role and with Torts as the coach. At some point, I think his philosophy will have to change as the skill level of this team should be on the upward trend with less pluggers and more skilled players.

I still think he can make it to the NHL with a team. He might be a big trading chip for this team as well if he plays well in the AHL. If we don't try and land a big forward in the free agent market, Thomas is going to be one of the players most likely heading in the other direction due to his size and Torts/Rangers belief in being physical and their philosophies of the game.

The Rangers should make him watch tape on a guy like Brian Gionta when he played for the Devils. He was able to be very successful while being small and even be good in the tough gritty areas of the ice. Thomas could learn a lot from watching how he played and taking that into his own game. Hopefully, he can show the goal-scoring touch he's displayed in juniors in the AHL and NHL levels.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Ola

I saw Jesper Fasth live yesterday for Sweden in a pre-wch game against the US. He was cut after the game, as expected, and his season is probably over now -- unless he goes to the AHL (more on this later). Here is my take on him.

I was very impressed with him last season (he were undoubtedly better then Kreider in the WJC's for example) and this year he took off early in the SEL. He scored more then "reasonable" so to speak (almost a PPG in the SEL), but also played quite well on the ice.

Then he broke his leg as we all know. He returned during the PO's (G2 of the QF), and after 5 games, had the most ice time of any forwards on the ice. In the first couple of games, he definitely looked like a player who just came back after breaking a leg, but then picked it up alot.

He has then played alot with the Swedish National Team after the season. I've missed alot of these games, but he is definitly not back to 100%. And what I saw yesterday confirmed that too.

This is a kid who played with a ton of fundamental confidence and speed. IE he was not cocky or dangled with the puck, but when he got it he got the job done. If he got the puck in his own end after a long shift, he got it over the red line and deep into the attacking zone even when tired (reminds me some of Callahan in those situations). When he got a odd man rush, he always did the right thing. Shot. Pass to the far post. Pass to the trailing player. Made it look easy. He is a good shot blocker and works hard around the board. A player a coach loves and who is very important to his team.

He was a smoother skater then both Kreider and Hagelin, but not as powerful as the former or as intense as the later -- but his skating overall were up there with those two. He had that deceptive speed that enabled him to beat D's wide at "any level" basically on a game by game basis.

Something is definitely missing from his game now compared to how he played before he broke his leg. He skates well still, but he doesn't dominate the ice with his skating like he did earlier. And while he looks comfortable skating up and down the ice, it feels like he is struggling some when just trying to hold his position, like following someone defensively or seeking open ice in the attacking zone. He is almost a bit choppy in those situations.

His confidence isn't quite there either. He mishandles a puck here and there and stuff like that.

Before I saw him yesterday, I actually kind of had hopes of him signing instantly and joining the team like Hagelin and Kreider has this season. Like that he after Kreider basically could have become next in line to go in and make a impact if needed. But I definitely got the impression now that he needs to step off the ice and rehab and hopefully get it all together before next season. I have not heard anything, and I guess it can't be ruled out that he is signed instantly. But it would suprise me (and could he even play? Silfverberg could for Ottawa, but he was signed before this season). I mean, he played a decent game yesterday, against a team with players like Statsny, Bobby Ryan, Jack Johnsson and so forth, I guess you could do worse. But, it doesn't quite feel alright to just throw in a rookie, even if the situation becomes desperate, that so obviously isn't "100%".

I really really hope that he can get back to 100%. I think he would suprise alot of people -- alot -- if he joined our camp for next season this fall being "just" as good as he was early this season. But its a fine line with confidence and everything, and skating is such a big part of his game, that I am a tad freightened also that his game won't be there... Injuries suck.

Last edited by Ola: 05-02-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old
05-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Ola

I really think that both JT Miller and Jesper Fasth are the real deal (hoping the laters questionsmark can be worked out).

If both can put it together and maybe exceed expectations in terms of ETA, we could definitely get another dimension on this team and become scary good as soon as next season. Like;

Hagelin-Richards-Gabby//Hagelins puck pursuit really helps the other two on this line, so I wouldn't break it up.
Kreider-Stepan-Fasth//Fasth could really help a center like Stepan, and Kreider would play with two players who are very good at setting things up and both these wingers speed would really push the other team back.
Dubi-JT Miller-Callahan//I just love the potential of this line. Three players who are really good at creating havoc, two players (JT and Dubi) who can beat his D one on one and open things up, especially when coming out of the corners, and a third who is uber-solid both ways.
Anisimov-Boyle-Prust
McD-Girardi
MDZ-Staal
Erixon-Strålman/Sauer

Last edited by Ola: 05-02-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old
05-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Thomas should be playing big minutes in Hartford next year. Not the kind of guy you want on your third line in the NHL. We can afford to be patient with these kids. Why does everyone want them in the NHL right away?

Old
05-02-2012, 08:37 AM
NYR Viper

Yeah, Thomas should get the minutes in Connecticut for sure. He is the type of player you want to take along slowly so that he can develop his offense AND keep his confidence high.

I am just going to continue pimping him as a Mike Cammalleri clone.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:09 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I have not heard anything, and I guess it can't be ruled out that he is signed instantly. But it would suprise me (and could he even play? Silfverberg could for Ottawa, but he was signed before this season). I mean, he played a decent game yesterday, against a team with players like Statsny, Bobby Ryan, Jack Johnsson and so forth, I guess you could do worse. But, it doesn't quite feel alright to just throw in a rookie, even if the situation becomes desperate, that so obviously isn't "100%".
We are at 50 contracts, so signing Fasth for this season wouldn't be an option. But we will have to sign him soon, with the ELC starting next year, or we will lose his rights.

As Zil said, most likely scenario is that he signs with the Rangers and then is loaned back to his SEL team for 1 more year.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:57 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We are at 50 contracts, so signing Fasth for this season wouldn't be an option. But we will have to sign him soon, with the ELC starting next year, or we will lose his rights.

As Zil said, most likely scenario is that he signs with the Rangers and then is loaned back to his SEL team for 1 more year.
highly doubt it happens but he could technically join the whale on an ATO and not impact the 50 contract limit

Old
05-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yeah, Thomas should get the minutes in Connecticut for sure. He is the type of player you want to take along slowly so that he can develop his offense AND keep his confidence high.

I am just going to continue pimping him as a Mike Cammalleri clone.
He certainly has the same kind of skill set as Cammalleri, but Cammalleri also has tremendous balance. Thomas is easily knocked off his feet, but Cammalleri can fight through traffic more effectively.

All I know is I cannot wait to get CT's one-timer on our PP. Holy crap could we use that.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I saw Jesper Fasth live yesterday for Sweden in a pre-wch game against the US. He was cut after the game, as expected, and his season is probably over now -- unless he goes to the AHL (more on this later). Here is my take on him.

I was very impressed with him last season (he were undoubtedly better then Kreider in the WJC's for example) and this year he took off early in the SEL. He scored more then "reasonable" so to speak (almost a PPG in the SEL), but also played quite well on the ice.

Then he broke his leg as we all know. He returned during the PO's (G2 of the QF), and after 5 games, had the most ice time of any forwards on the ice. In the first couple of games, he definitely looked like a player who just came back after breaking a leg, but then picked it up alot.

He has then played alot with the Swedish National Team after the season. I've missed alot of these games, but he is definitly not back to 100%. And what I saw yesterday confirmed that too.
Nice write up thank you for it. FYI, in American football (this injury is way more common there) an injury like that takes about a year for the player to get his explosiveness back. Fasth to his credit came back very quick. I would imagine it is going to take the entire off season to get the muscle tone and explosiveness back.

FWIW, I have broken my hand a few times playing hockey. My arm looked like a concentration camp survivors for weeks after that cast came off. I can only imagine what his leg looked like and still looks like. The calf muscle is much more difficult to rehab.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He certainly has the same kind of skill set as Cammalleri, but Cammalleri also has tremendous balance. Thomas is easily knocked off his feet, but Cammalleri can fight through traffic more effectively.

All I know is I cannot wait to get CT's one-timer on our PP. Holy crap could we use that.
It still baffles me that not one player on the Rangers sets up to take a one timer on the PP.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:43 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers had high hopes of Thomas and Erixon making the team this season. After game 1 in the Ottawa series,Torts was discussing Hagelin. He said we hoped a couple of other players besides Hagelin would have made the team this season. He didn't mention names but he was referring to Erixon and Thomas. Fasth should spend another year in Sweden developing his game and making up for lost time this season. The Rangers sign him. He comes to prospects camp in late June. The Rangers can make their determination if they should invite him to camp in Sepember or just loan him back to his Swedish team and not have him even come to camp IF there is even camp in September. Same thing with Lindberg. From all of their forwards,Thomas is closer to the NHL. Not counting Bourque who found some offense in the playoffs. Miller still a year of junior left. Yogan will also be a 1st year pro. The Swedes may be back in Sweden.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Noonan25

I can see Thomas making the team next year... And fasth another year in sweden or minors

Thomas could be an elite scorer that rangers need on 3rd line

Old
05-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan25 View Post
I can see Thomas making the team next year... And fasth another year in sweden or minors

Thomas could be an elite scorer that rangers need on 3rd line
There aren't very many elite scorers who play on the 3rd line.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:56 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Pretty big news about a Rangers WHL draft pick expected to be announced this morning.

Stay tuned...

Old
05-03-2012, 09:24 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Pretty big news about a Rangers WHL draft pick expected to be announced this morning.

Stay tuned...
St Croix? McIlrath?

Old
05-03-2012, 09:37 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

St. Croix signed an ELC with the Rangers?

Old
05-03-2012, 09:39 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
St. Croix signed an ELC with the Rangers?
And will be playing in Game 4!?!

Old
05-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Noonan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
There aren't very many elite scorers who play on the 3rd line.
Elite for the third line, not elite like the Malkins of the world

Closed Thread