HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergevin named new General Manager V2.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2012, 08:23 AM
  #26
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 21,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Did you ever hear Serge Savard speak? Didn't stop him from being a decent GM the first half of his tenure or from becoming a millionaire. Bergevin's French is no worse than Cherry's English.

He speaks a working class French because those are his roots and he never went past high school. He also moved into an English milieu from the age of 19. Had to learn another language and probably spoke French on the odd occasion.
Tada.
This, plus stress/nervousness

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:24 AM
  #27
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Now, the question :

Who will be the "token anglo", the guy who won't be chosen because of his skills...
Cunneyworth for now.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:35 AM
  #28
Bobby G
Registered User
 
Bobby G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Thanks for throwing this all together! Could/should be put in the first post

Bobby G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:51 AM
  #29
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,125
vCash: 500
You would think that the media/tv shows/radio/cbc, etc...would spread out the interviews in three days instead of all in one day!! (exhausting for any human being, no matter how much $$ you make...and better for the interview if Bergevin is more fresh/rested).

This we know for sure: Bergevin wants our Habs to win.
(very important...imo!).

Bergevin got emotional/cried:
this warms my heart to read that Bergevin is associating his parents to our Habs... and can anyone expand on the interview, please...I'm pissed off at myself because I missed that interview (antichambre?). Is antichambre with Gaston Therrien (everyone's favorite).

5 year contract:
I just read here that it was a 5 year contract?? (wow! that's a lot of trust!! I would think 2-3 years, but 5? anyways...I believe in Bergevin...I'm already a fan).


Coach:
we are restricted to 5 or 10 coaches (instead of 20-30) because of language...too bad (wish this only happened with the Quebec City Nordiques, but fair is fair...Mtl is a bilingual city). Still...I hope Bergevin finds a coach that can make our Habs more than a one line team (that was ridiculous).
One solution...get a coach that doesn't speak proper english or french...but can make our Habs win through the help of a translator. (Russian coach? Swedish coach? Slovenian coach? that does not speak english/french, etc).


Go Bergevin Go!!!


p.s.: wouldn't Bergevin make a good coach for our Habs?

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 08:58 AM
  #30
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I am so happy right now.

On cloud number 9.

Price will be re-signed soon. The Habs will have some cap space to address some holes this offseason and they can hope for a bit better luck on the injury front next year. I fully expect the Habs to be in the division title race, with or without this years 1st round pick having an impact.
I agree that the team should be better but dont get carried away. There is alot of work to do before this team can really contend.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:01 AM
  #31
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
You would think that the media/tv shows/radio/cbc, etc...would spread out the interviews in three days instead of all in one day!! (exhausting for any human being, no matter how much $$ you make...and better for the interview if Bergevin is more fresh/rested).

This we know for sure: Bergevin wants our Habs to win.
(very important...imo!).

Bergevin got emotional/cried:
this warms my heart to read that Bergevin is associating his parents to our Habs... and can anyone expand on the interview, please...I'm pissed off at myself because I missed that interview (antichambre?). Is antichambre with Gaston Therrien (everyone's favorite).

5 year contract:
I just read here that it was a 5 year contract?? (wow! that's a lot of trust!! I would think 2-3 years, but 5? anyways...I believe in Bergevin...I'm already a fan).


Coach:
we are restricted to 5 or 10 coaches (instead of 20-30) because of language...too bad (wish this only happened with the Quebec City Nordiques, but fair is fair...Mtl is a bilingual city). Still...I hope Bergevin finds a coach that can make our Habs more than a one line team (that was ridiculous).
One solution...get a coach that doesn't speak proper english or french...but can make our Habs win through the help of a translator. (Russian coach? Swedish coach? Slovenian coach? that does not speak english/french, etc).


Go Bergevin Go!!!


p.s.: wouldn't Bergevin make a good coach for our Habs?
If he didnt already have a job then maybe 2-3 years would be ok but he had a good job in Chicago, he wouldnt leave it for a 2 year deal. Plus a GM role is a big picture kind of thing. It could take 3-4 years to get this team to where he wants it.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
  #32
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Cunneyworth for now.
Not sure I get what you're saying.
RC was given his old duties, and if the new coach wants to keep him around, so be it.
RC had no skills as a head coach.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
  #33
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,369
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Will he let Timmins speak after the draft?

I hated that Gauthier wouldn't.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
  #34
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
I agree that the team should be better but dont get carried away. There is alot of work to do before this team can really contend.
The difference between finishing top 10 and bottom 10 in the NHL is not very big. Even in a crappy year I'm sure we had a solid record(maybe somebody can look it up) against the top 10 teams overall.

To me it wouldn't take a miracle to bounce back a finish top 10 next year and go a couple playoff rounds. The PP and holding 3rd period leads are "fixable" problems, moreso than not having a #1 goalie, any top 4 d-men or any top 6 forwards.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:24 AM
  #35
Zaide
I'm a renegade
 
Zaide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Montréal
Country: uriname
Posts: 65,478
vCash: 500
I will miss Monsieur Subban, Monsieur Bourque, Monsieur Markov, Monsieur Gionta, Monsieur Gomez, Monsieur Jacques Martin, Monsieur Gorges, etc.

Zaide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:27 AM
  #36
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,343
vCash: 500
Great guy should be fine for mtl


Just happy that McGuire did not get the job. He is a lud mouth nut

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:31 AM
  #37
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
I will miss Monsieur Subban, Monsieur Bourque, Monsieur Markov, Monsieur Gionta, Monsieur Gomez, Monsieur Jacques Martin, Monsieur Gorges, etc.
It'll probably be PK, Reny, Marky, Brian, Scotty (if he is there long enough), Joshy...

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:42 AM
  #38
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,733
vCash: 500
I was one of the ppl that wanted nothing to do with Pierre McGuire, not because he doesn't know the game, but I really don't think he has much leadership skills.

But I have to say one thing, after listening to Pierre McGuire interview on the team 990 yesterday, I gained soooo much respect for the guy, he was very straight up, and honest about everything.

I think in the past few years he has be overboard and somewhat unfair in some of his assessment of the Habs, but I think that had a lot to do with some hatred he had towards Gauthier (fair or not).

I gained so much respect for him when he talked about how he told his bosses at NBC, who I guess give him a huge contract, it terms of length and pay, that wouldn't interview for a GM job, but since it was the Canadiens, he couldn't possible let a chance like that go.

Its kinda sucks for him, becuase IMO his biggest weakness is that he hasn't worked in the NHL in so long, and Savard kinda hinted to that, and with such a great job at NHL, there is noo way McGuire takes an Ast GM job, and no way he leaves NBC to take a GM job for lets say Columbus, Islanders, etc.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:45 AM
  #39
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Damphousse just asked him about Timmins again ..

He said he believes in people having roles and having all the resources needed to do that role well but that Timmins is doing too much. He said he will sit down with Trevor and speak about this but that having taken a quick look, his impression is that Timmins is doing too much at the moment.


Expect to see Trevor Timmons lose some of his duties. Bergevin is right, he is doing too much. Look at how the Blackhawks are set up.

NORM MACIVER, DIRECTOR, PLAYER PERSONNEL
BARRY SMITH, DIRECTOR, PLAYER DEVELOPMENT
RON ANDERSON, DIRECTOR, PLAYER RECRUITMENT
MARK KELLEY, DIRECTOR, AMATEUR SCOUTING

Trevor Timmons basically does all four of those jobs currently.

I'm glad that Bergevin will be bringing in more people to help with this area. Development of our prospects has been one of our biggest problems. Timmons is great at Amateur Scouting but could use some support in player development.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:48 AM
  #40
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,272
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I was one of the ppl that wanted nothing to do with Pierre McGuire, not because he doesn't know the game, but I really don't think he has much leadership skills.

But I have to say one thing, after listening to Pierre McGuire interview on the team 990 yesterday, I gained soooo much respect for the guy, he was very straight up, and honest about everything.

I think in the past few years he has be overboard and somewhat unfair in some of his assessment of the Habs, but I think that had a lot to do with some hatred he had towards Gauthier (fair or not).

I gained so much respect for him when he talked about how he told his bosses at NBC, who I guess give him a huge contract, it terms of length and pay, that wouldn't interview for a GM job, but since it was the Canadiens, he couldn't possible let a chance like that go.

Its kinda sucks for him, becuase IMO his biggest weakness is that he hasn't worked in the NHL in so long, and Savard kinda hinted to that, and with such a great job at NHL, there is noo way McGuire takes an Ast GM job, and no way he leaves NBC to take a GM job for lets say Columbus, Islanders, etc
.
Glad you're starting to realize that. I know it's best for him if he ever wants to become a GM that he would need to do the assistant and scouting in order to eventually get to the GM but he simply doesn't need to because of his job right now

What is it now 5 jobs he came in the runner up? I wonder if these management teams bring him in and interview him asking him what he would do and what he think sis wrong with their team. They get an idea from him since he is one of the only guys around the NHL that knows the good and bad about teams/players

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:49 AM
  #41
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,272
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Expect to see Trevor Timmons lose some of his duties. Bergevin is right, he is doing too much. Look at how the Blackhawks are set up.

NORM MACIVER, DIRECTOR, PLAYER PERSONNEL
BARRY SMITH, DIRECTOR, PLAYER DEVELOPMENT
RON ANDERSON, DIRECTOR, PLAYER RECRUITMENT
MARK KELLEY, DIRECTOR, AMATEUR SCOUTING

Trevor Timmons basically does all four of those jobs currently.

I'm glad that Bergevin will be bringing in more people to help with this area. Development of our prospects has been one of our biggest problems. Timmons is great at Amateur Scouting but could use some support in player development.
Timmins needs help that's for sure, especially in the Q area. I'm not one to care about french/english players but it's not acceptable to have only 1 Q scout

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:49 AM
  #42
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,369
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Expect to see Trevor Timmons lose some of his duties. Bergevin is right, he is doing too much. Look at how the Blackhawks are set up.

NORM MACIVER, DIRECTOR, PLAYER PERSONNEL
BARRY SMITH, DIRECTOR, PLAYER DEVELOPMENT
RON ANDERSON, DIRECTOR, PLAYER RECRUITMENT
MARK KELLEY, DIRECTOR, AMATEUR SCOUTING

Trevor Timmons basically does all four of those jobs currently.

I'm glad that Bergevin will be bringing in more people to help with this area. Development of our prospects has been one of our biggest problems. Timmons is great at Amateur Scouting but could use some support in player development.
This is good news. Timmins should be scouting for the draft. Of course, if he gets the chance to see some of his prospects and lend a hand in determining what they need improvement on, he should do so. But Bergevin is absolutely correct, he's doing too much and if you do too much, one area tends to suffer from it.

We have deep pockets. Use those pockets to hire competent people to do the jobs necessary.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:50 AM
  #43
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,369
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Timmins needs help that's for sure, especially in the Q area. I'm not one to care about french/english players but it's not acceptable to have only 1 Q scout
It's not acceptable to have as little scouts as we do. Especially over in Europe.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:52 AM
  #44
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,272
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It's not acceptable to have as little scouts as we do. Especially over in Europe.
Everywhere I guess. Hopefully it changes, no more Gauthier and him wanting to do everything. Glad him and Bob are gone!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 09:59 AM
  #45
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The difference between finishing top 10 and bottom 10 in the NHL is not very big. Even in a crappy year I'm sure we had a solid record(maybe somebody can look it up) against the top 10 teams overall.

To me it wouldn't take a miracle to bounce back a finish top 10 next year and go a couple playoff rounds. The PP and holding 3rd period leads are "fixable" problems, moreso than not having a #1 goalie, any top 4 d-men or any top 6 forwards.
Im not trying to be a party pooper here but The Habs have very serious problems going forward. The team is not good and has not been good for a long time.

A top 5 power play and a top 5 penalty kill to go along with stellar goaltending has made this team seem better than they really are.

I am hopful that the team can be better next season, and they have some good young pieces going forward, but again. Dont be folled by good special teams and a stud goalie. There is alot of work for MB to do.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:02 AM
  #46
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,272
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Im not trying to be a party pooper here but The Habs have very serious problems going forward. The team is not good and has not been good for a long time.

A top 5 power play and a top 5 penalty kill to go along with stellar goaltending has made this team seem better than they really are.

I am hopful that the team can be better next season, and they have some good young pieces going forward, but again. Dont be folled by good special teams and a stud goalie. There is alot of work for MB to do.
Agreed, like Bergevin said yesterday and most of us already know this is that the foundation is there regarding the Habs, however there is plenty of work to be done surrounding these young players with the right players. Cole was a great move and a player who fits perfectly, not he needs to find another key pieces to the puzzle

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
  #47
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Agreed, like Bergevin said yesterday and most of us already know this is that the foundation is there regarding the Habs, however there is plenty of work to be done surrounding these young players with the right players. Cole was a great move and a player who fits perfectly, not he needs to find another key pieces to the puzzle
He needs to take out Gomez and Kaberle.

Then he needs to build the defense, build the Plekanec line and give and identity to our bottom 6.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:07 AM
  #48
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Im not trying to be a party pooper here but The Habs have very serious problems going forward. The team is not good and has not been good for a long time.

A top 5 power play and a top 5 penalty kill to go along with stellar goaltending has made this team seem better than they really are.

I am hopful that the team can be better next season, and they have some good young pieces going forward, but again. Dont be folled by good special teams and a stud goalie. There is alot of work for MB to do.
Not sure how you figure that they "haven't been good" the numbers tell otherwise. Obviously the goal is to be "great" and win a cup, but before that's possible we have to return to being "good" THEN take the next step from there instead of a big step back like this year.

PP PK and goaltending are part of a winning team, have you watched these playoffs? Most of the teams there are there at least in part because of ST and most have had great goaltending(Rinne Smith Holtby Brodeur Lundquist Quick).

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:13 AM
  #49
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Glad you're starting to realize that. I know it's best for him if he ever wants to become a GM that he would need to do the assistant and scouting in order to eventually get to the GM but he simply doesn't need to because of his job right now

What is it now 5 jobs he came in the runner up? I wonder if these management teams bring him in and interview him asking him what he would do and what he think sis wrong with their team. They get an idea from him since he is one of the only guys around the NHL that knows the good and bad about teams/players
I really think that was it for him in regards to trying to be a GM. I think the only job he would leave that big NBC contract for somewhere like the Rangers, Leafs, Canadiens, and I think all those teams won't hire McGuire because of the lack of experience, and while he did interview for the Wild and Lighting jobs, that was before his NBC contract, so no way he going to teams like that to be GM IMO.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 10:14 AM
  #50
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,272
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
He needs to take out Gomez and Kaberle.

Then he needs to build the defense, build the Plekanec line and give and identity to our bottom 6.
Honestly at this point I don't even care about Kaberle, he is more useful than Gomez. Another reason I would keep him is because of Markov, we just don't know what's going to happen with a full schedule and we can't take any chances. Play Kaberle mostly on the pp and keep him around at 13-15 minutes a night

And yes build an identity, absolutely agreed on that

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.